Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Fall in the holler and Squirrel Jar- A Fall Mason Jar Freebie

 Days are quiet here in the holler come the first of Autumn.  It is still green, but the colors are  slowly fading to shades of brown mainly due to the heat which is still in the 90's. 

View from the side of the house. The Blueberries
Dinner Bell

It is dry as dust and though we have received a smidgen of rain in the last 30 days,  it has not made a lick of  difference. 

The grandson is making a race track in the yard with his go-cart. He has been stirring up the dust. 

Leaves are swirling and twirling softly to the ground .As we walk along the dirt pathways, you can hear the crunch of dried leaves. 

 

 Pinecones are tumbling  to the ground  and are awaiting to be picked for Fall and Christmas displays. 

 

Walnuts are dropping like bombs from the trees. 

I find myself often  competing with squirrels for the walnuts.

 I pick them up and place them in buckets and use for a fall display. Later they will be used for dyeing fabric and Mr. Pinker will use them to dye traps. 







 The birds are enjoying the birdfeeders and bring delight to my ears when they sing a song of gratitude.

 Meanwhile every now and then a squirrel makes it way to the feeder for a tasty treat for itself.  

My flower gardens have dried and dwindled mainly because I was away on several camping trips over the summer and was not able to tend to them. But there are a few blooms to enjoy.  

Autumn is indeed a blessing.


Alrighty now down to the nitty gritty! I think a fall stitch is in order.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜‰

 Many of y'all know my love for that adorable pesky rodent- the squirrel. I know ! I know ! They can make a mess. They wreack havoc on birdfeeders and can be little nuisances especially if they get in the attic.  

      

Oh , yes, I have shooed a few out of the house . Like Rocky the Flying Squirrel who decided it wanted to visit us in the den and stay perched along the curtain rods. We were running around like chickens with our heads cut off  trying to catch that little frisky critter. It was only when Mr. Pinker got a net out that Rocky stood up straight as an arrow, stuck out its tongue and pranced  out of the house as pretty as you  please. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Wheew! That was a feat!

But in my eyes they are just as cute as can be.  Anywhoo , we have lots of gray squirrels in our neck of the woods. So I thought I would capture one in a jar.  

This is my Squirrel Jar.  Filled with a squirrel, acorns and leaves. 

 I do think this quilted squirrel is a handsome fella . What do you think? 

๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต

If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends. 

๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต๐Ÿงต 

 OOPS- CORRECTION: There is a mistake  at the bottom of the jar in row 66 column 45. It says "B" when the symbol should read "•" for 3371.  I do apologize. 




Now I think this is one squirrel , I would keep as a pet. 


If you missed any of the previous jars, just click on the names below, and you will magically be transported back to a previous post. 

Autumn Jar Pinkeep , Winter  Jar , Sheep Jar , Bunny Jar  ,  Strawberry Jam Jar   , Patriotic Jar ,Honey Jar  ,   Sunflower Jar,  and Halloween Jar . 


Well Sweeties, I guess I have chewed your ear off with all of this rambling. I am so very grateful that you spent just a few minutes of your day with me , strolling in the holler and looking at my stitch. Now if you decide to stitch the Squirrel Jar, don't forget the CORRECTION. 

Have a lovely fall day and...

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

Be  a squirrel and go out on a limb. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงต❤

Dedicated to my baby sister, Amy . I love and miss you Amo.❤❤❤.

Amy's rusty farm equipment

Rusty crusty outdoor fall decor
















31 comments:

  1. A little sewing this evening. Little problem with the one I made last night. I hope to spend tomorrow at my machine. Another easy peasy little quilt.
    Fall is my least favorite season but I'm imbracing it a bit this year. Happy Tuesday Ms Melisa with hugs dear friend. Darlene J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so glad you will be having another day at the sewing machine. Were you able to fix the problem with the quilt you pieced last night ? Or was it a sewing machine problem? Those easy peasy quilts are so fun and cute as can be . And I know yours is ! I cut out all of my fabrics for my 16 patches. I have 15 more to go. I have to admit that summer is my favorite season with spring running a close 2nd. Love the sunshine. LOL. Have a terrific Tuesday, sweet Darlene. Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy watching the squirrels run around in our yard. At the farm we had a multitude of black walnut trees. Here at the new house, we have a multitude of hickories. We also have native pawpaws and I ate my first one this month! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to see paw paw trees in the forest in many of our state parks. They were wonderful little treats. A few years ago a gentleman gave my dad a small paw paw tree and he planted it on the farm. It has taken it awhile but it has gotten fairly tall, but no fruit yet. I am glad that it has taken hold though. Thank you for the sweet Tuesday visit, Gretchen . Have a lovely day. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Melisa, your jar series is one of my favorites and your gray quilted squirrel is stinkin adorable. He looks quite at home in his jar he will go in the pinker pouch for sure. Hope you have a wonderful day. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿค—

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very touched that you like the jars, Patti. Along with the houses, they are my favorite to stitch too. I have always had a love for mason jars so it is fun to stitch them and fill them with lots of fun. LOL. I hope you enjoy this little fella. Have a beautiful day and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. What an adorable squirrel in a jar! Your farm looks very picturesque to me, even if it is dry. When we lived in south Texas we had black walnut trees on our property. You knew it was fall when those little bombs started dropping! Fingers crossed you get some interaction from future Helene as it looks to be headed straight to Tennessee after landfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Tuesday, Linda. LOL you know what I mean about walnuts falling. I have dodged a few from falling on my head and they are always hitting the wagon. We have several walnut trees in the yard. We certainly need the rain here. I always worry about the wind and fallen trees when a storm like that come through. Have a fantastic day and thank you for dropping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Love your squirrel pattern. Our dog Dash used to try and catch squirrels but they were too fast for him. Now he just sits and looks at them. ;-) We're on the FL coast on the panhandle so we'll be bugging out tomorrow probably. Hope you get some rain for your parched area. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do take care, Donna. I hope that there is a safe place that you can go if it gets too bad. I just love your doggie's name! With a name like that he should have been able to keep up with the squirrels- Hee ! Hee! Bless his heart. I think I would rather just sit and look at them too. Thank you so much, Donna for the sweet visit and bringing a smile to my day. Stay safe. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Your squirrel in a jar is adorable! Your squirrel story was funny. It is dry here too and most of the flowers are past their glory. Fall is here with the leaves turning and falling to the ground. I'm not ready for winter!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL we never figured out how he got into the house. It was the first flying squirrel that I had seen in person and he was hopping all over the place. It gets pretty exciting here when animals get in the house. The most recent was a bird . LOL. The leaves have really started to come down here too. I agree I am not ready for winter either. I enjoy the warm sunshine. Have a blessed day, Terry. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful autumn post to read this morning, Melisa! We have been having drizzle since yesterday. Every little bit helps with the dryness here in my holler, but like yours it is still dry here. The squirrel in the jar is so adorable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Tuesday , Robin. Oh you are so lucky to already be getting a bit of rain . Yes, every ounce helps. We had a small stray shower yesterday. Rain is in the forecast for the next few days- we shall see. Have a fabulous afternoon. Hugs

      Delete
  8. Lovely autumnal post, Melisa--truth be told: I am not much of a fan of squirrels, but your Mason Jar Squirrel is a really cute fella;))) [for a squirrel, that is-- ahem!! haha]
    We haven't had any rain either...our lawn is like straw underfoot (I love walking barefoot outside--but not on that--ouch!!). I may just have to do my infamous "rain dance"
    and --warning--that is NOT a good visual at all!! :))))
    I am had quilting slowly on my purple squares tablerunner...a line a day...and trying to re-organize my room -- so much "stuff"!!!
    Enjoy these early Autumn days hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL a rain dance- I need you to come to my house and we both will do the rain dance boogie Hee! Hee! Anything for a drop of two. Right? I used to walk barefoot outside all the time; I miss those good ole' days, but now I can not do that. The grandsons do though. They run across gravel like it is nothing- aah to be a kid again. I hope you receive some rain here soon and enjoy your day reorganizing. That's a great idea on quilting a line a day. I should do that with one of my quilts. Thank you for the giggles and sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed the stroll this morning in the comfort of my air conditioned computer room! LOL I think a Mason jar is the perfect place for all the squirrels that get in my attic in the winter. Maybe a giant one, as sometimes it sounds like there's an army running around up there! They may be cute but they are certainly pesky critters!! Have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that is the best place for the stroll. I was a huffing and a puffing go up the hills in the holler yesterday. It was in the high 90's and the humidity was smothering. Oh yes you do need a giant jar to capture them. LOL. I can imagine the little pitter patter of feet in the attic. Thankfully , it has been a spell since one has got into our house. We did have a bird invite itself into the house a few weeks ago. LOL. Have a great day in the sewing room and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. good morning Melisa. as always i very much enjoyed your post this morning. i love your squirrel jar cross stitch. i have finally mastered how to print the full page without it shrinking down to blurry. yippee!!! now i've got to go back thru your posts and pick out all the patterns i want to print. i just bought a fresh ream of paper - do you think that's enough? ha
    i hope you are having a marvelous day. i'm surprised your don't eat the walnuts. i didn't know you could use walnuts for dying fabric. learn something new every day. thank you for the tip.
    wishing you a bright, beautiful day. i have got a lot of Pinker n Punkin blog posts to read to get caught up on my cross stitch pattern. i appreciate you so much and thank you for all of your wonderful patterns you provide to all of us. you're such a sweetheart.
    blessings are on the way to you my friend. hugs and kisses.
    Debra Broyles
    quiltingprettyquilts@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon , dear Debra and Happy Happy Tuesday. Oh it is so exciting that you have figured out how to print the charts . I have had those troubles before. My young nephew has given me a few tips though. I hope you enjoy visiting old blog posts and I can not tell you how much it means to me that you take the time to do so. We used to eat the black walnuts all the time. We would line them up in the driveway and run over them to break the green skin. I may have to gather some and see how tasty they are this year. The wind has picked up and they have been falling like crazy these last couple of days. Well, I hope you have a blessed and beautiful day and thank you again for being a bright ray of sunshine. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  11. Hi, what a nice squirrel. Thank you for sharing. We have some squirrels here around and I love to watch them. It is great fun.
    Have a bright day, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Tuesday, Gabi. I hope you are having a lovely day. What kind of squirrels do you have in your area ? They are little characters to watch aren't they? Especially when two or more begin to play and fuss about. I wish you a lovely day and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. The squirrels are sure busy here! I looked out our front window yesterday and saw a squirrel chowing down on one of the dried up sunflower heads - he was really enjoying it! Your mason jar squirrel is cute as can be, and I love seeing all the mason jar designs you've done, too. That reminds me that I stitched the Halloween one with the black cat and pumpkin, but never fully finished it. That will be a good October project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how funny. Did the squirrel climb the sunflower stalk or pull it on down? They are fascinating to watch. Ours are scampering all about around the pinetrees and walnut trees. They should have a good harvest this year. LOL. Aaah I loved the cat jar. I can not wait to see your finish. Thank you so much, Diann for the sweet Tuesday visit. Have a great evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. Nice pattern with the squirrel, Melisa.
    Thanks for sharing!
    The autumn landscape around you is truly beautiful.๐Ÿฅฐ
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Tuesday, dear Isabel. I hope you are doing well. It is beginning to look like fall here that is for sure. Thank you so much for the sweet visit and compliment on my squirrel jar. I wish you a beautiful and blessed day. Hugs

      Delete
  14. The property around your house is very scenic and beautiful. Seeing your walnuts brought forth bittersweet memories of my childhood and parents' and grandparents' homes. We would pick up the walnuts and crack them open to eat. The squirrel pattern is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Jar collection of is growing! Such adorable smalls. We have gray and black squirrels running around. I put out tiny peanut butter sandwiches on our porch railing for them. Occasionally one of them, at least I think one of them will come up to the window and peer in to get my attention. "Please mam, can I have some more" They even will have a bit of fun with our schnoodle play catch me if you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the squirrel is a real cutey! We have several that are in the garden and birdfeeders pretty much all the time. I always love the jars. Yes, I agree, the weather is definitely turning Fall-like. I like it. I've started clearing out some of the garden that is mostly done. I am ready to be done. I hope we both get some rain. We need it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your jar series is super sweet, my friend.

    ReplyDelete