Blog Archive

Thursday, September 26, 2024

Finishing "Blessed" Into a Pillow

  Good afternoon, y'all.  Earlier today , I posted the Blessed - 5 year IG Anniversary chart, and I thought I would share I how I finished it. 

 This post has a lot of photos so I do apologize. 

Now I am no expert on finishing and some of you may cringe on my finishing techniques, but  I figure it is better done than sitting in a basket of shame. Don't you? Hee ! Hee! So please, oh please do not call the CSFP on me that is the Cross Stitch Finishing Police .👮🚓🚨 If you do , I promise I will run to the hills with needle and thread in hand🏃🪡🧵. Hee! Hee! 


First, I trimmed my Blessed stitch piece to 2 6/8" x 5". I know that is a strange measurement, but I play "chicken" with my edges and have the tendency to give myself little margin because I try to conserve fabric. Anywhoo... 

I then cut  5  - 1 1/2"x 3 1/2" strips of fabric to work with. 

Trimmed  cross stitch piece and cut strips for finishing. 

I pieced the strips using a 1/4" seam allowance,  and then sewed those strips to the stitched piece.  I then squared up the piece by trimming. 

The strips are sewn. I am fixing to sew the stitched piece to the strips 

I pinned a bit of crocheted lace in place along seam line and sewed a tacking stitch down on each side. 

Pinning the crocheted lace in place along seam line. 

Tacking the lace near the edges of the stitched piece. 

After looking at my piece , I decided to trim a tad off the bottom.

I trimmed mine so my piece would measure 5" squared. 

I measured my stitched piece to determine size of backing (measurements may vary for your piece  depending how much you trim and your seam allowance). Mine measured 5 " squared.  

Measuring my piece and squaring it up. 

I cut 2 pieces of fusible interfacing like PF 44   5" squared (one for stitched piece and one for backing) 

I cut the fusible webbing, backing and muslin . 

I cut my backing fabric slightly larger than my stitched piece. 

I also cut a piece of white muslin about 5 1/4' . ( This is a tip that I saw on Vonna Pfieffer's video). 

Follow manufacturer's instructions and adhere fusible to back of stitched piece and to the back of the backing fabric. 

Adhered fusible to stitched piece and another to backing fabric .

Layer white muslin on the back of the stitched piece . Trim any excess white fabric off.  

Pin muslin in place. 

Muslin pinned in place

Placing right sides together , sandwich stitched piece and backing fabric.  I add extra pins.. 

Pinned and ready to sew. 

I used  a 1/ 4" seam allowance and backstitched at the corners.  I completely sew off the edge of the fabric . Lift the presser foot turn the fabric and begin at the edge. 

Sew off the edge and backstitch corners. 

I left a 2" opening along the seam line. Sometimes I leave the "stuffing opening in the seam line; sometimes I make a small hole  in the backing fabric after I have sewn all the way around ( that is a preference choice and is totally up to you ) 

Trim excess backing off of the pillow form and clip the corners to reduce bulk.

Trimmed and corners clipped .

Press seams open. 

Press seams open.

Turn inside out . Using your chopstick. Smooth out seams inside pillow form. 

Turn inside out and smooth out seams and corners. 

Stuff with preferred stuffing.  I pull my polyfil apart and then stuff it tightly small bits at a time pushing it with my fingers and chopsticks. Stuff until it is at the tightness that you prefer. 

Filling pillow with polyfil.

Once stuffed bring seams together and pin closed.  On this piece , I used tan cotton thread to blind stitch and close the opening. Sink your knot into the fabric and take tiny stitches along the seams. Sink your ending knot into the pillow and pull the string out the backing and clip. 

Pin seam together and whip stitch closed. 

Once I have finished my pillow, I like to turn my pillow over , spritz it with water and press my pillow with an iron slightly. This is a personal preference for a flatter look that I prefer.  -Again that's just a personal preference. 

Wahlah!  Your pillow is finished. 

Wheew , I do not hear any sirens yet!  Do  you think I did ok on finishing this little jewel? I  sure hope so.  When I finish a pillow  , I always think about my Nanny who was a doll maker and a wonderful seamstress. I hope I did her proud . I am always inspired by her many finishes that I own and treasure. 

 I also  invite you to visit these wonderful ladies who are amazing finishers and who share their techniques on Youtube.    Vonna Pfeiffer and  Helen D. .

Thank you for taking the time to see how I finished my little pillow. 

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"It takes good effort to begin  and great effort to complete a task." 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤


Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. I love and miss you so much.❤❤👼  You were and still are a blessing in my life. 


Thank you for the sweet visit.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Melisa, for joining IG and sharing on your blog, love your designs and love the Blessed Charts!!You are truly a jewel, and your instructions are the best. Have a wonderful rest of your week and enjoy the weekend with the grands. Hugs and love from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tutorial, Melisa. I love the look of the strips sewn together and attached to the cross stitched piece. I'll have to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful finish on this; the crocheted lace adds so much and I love how you added those Fall fabrics to the bottom--
    Great work--thanks for the finishing tutorial,,, hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Finishing "Blessed" Into a Pillow