Saturday, September 14, 2024

The Tale of a New Start

Hello, Sunshine and a very Happy Saturday to you! 

It was a very blustery day in the holler yesterday. The trees were whipping and cracking all about. The birds flew from limb to limb, and the leaves whirled and swirled to the ground. 

Wow! Look at my flag snapping in the howling wind! 

I soon retreated into the house to avoid the winds and the few sprinkles that descended from the sky.

     

 "Hmmm what  should I do ? " I  asked as I admired the pretty fabrics that my daughter sent me. 

Soon I spread the pretty  2 1/2" strips out on the cutting board enjoying all of the pretty florals. 

" Dare I start another quilt today?" I asked  Annie who sat quietly on her rocking horse with her own wee quilt.  

"I do think I will! "I exclaimed.  Annie just smiled sweetly.  

As the wind howled outside , a glorious quilt came to mind.

 After giving it some thought , I hopped over to Diann's blog, Little Penguin Quilts , searching back  through her previous posts- just searching for the quilt that has been burned into my mind for nigh 2 years. As I eagerly scrolled through Diann's previous posts,  I  admired all of the pretties and took notes of future projects . In no time,  I came to it in  Diann's April 1, 2023 post called  "A Slowly Stitched Finish " .

 "There it is! I" shouted. 

"What dear ? " asked Mr. Pinker who appeared like a ghost  into the room. "Who are you talking to? What did you find?  " 

 "I am just talking about a quilt, dear. "It is a beauty that Diann created called Dancing Pluses. " 

As I pulled out my rotary cutter, Mr. Pinker looked down at the cutting mat;  he knew what was fixing to happen .  So off he went to see what he could get into on this blustery day. 

 Since this month's RSC challenge is dark fabrics, I thought why not piece some dark Plus blocks. With a swish and a swoosh, the rotary cutter was cutting away. Soon I had the 1st block ready to piece. 

As I was merrily sewing away, all went dark in the house. 

"Bummer ! " I shouted!    

The lights went out! I got up and looked outside the window. No rain, but a few small limbs had been stripped from the trees . 

As I made my way back to the sewing machine, the lights turned on .

"Eeeh we are back in business! "

 Again , I started sewing away and guess what happened. Yep ! The electricity went off again.  ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

 This "back and forth" with the electricity went on all evening long.  Frustrated I  called Mom.  As everyone knows, moms make everything better . Yes even power outages.  ๐Ÿค— 

"Is your electricity flickering on and off? ", I asked Mom. 

 "No, but the I saw the electric company's  truck down the road from your house working. "   And "POOF!" - right then and there the electricity came back on and stayed on -- see I told you moms make everything better. Hee! Hee!     

By the end of the day, I was able to get 4 blocks pieced . Like Diann's blocks , mine measure 6 1/2" x 8 1/2" unfinished. 

 Rather than tempt the "power fates" and start piecing some brown blocks,  I called it a day and stepped back to admire the Dancing Plus blocks that I was able to piece.   

 Thank you so much, Diann for the constant inspiration. 


Well that's my story, and I am sticking to it! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค—

 We did not get the rain that we were hoping for, but it was a nice cool day. 
Thank you for stopping by to hear my tale of a new start.  I think I will tempt the fates today and try to piece more blocks. Fingers crossed the electricity stays on! 

As always,

Happy Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa

"It is all about which way you look..."

Hugs and Stitches!!! ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงต

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. I miss and love you so much.   ❤๐Ÿ‘ผ

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.

Nina at Creations, Quilts, Art , Whatever by Nina for Off the Wall Friday

Alycia's of Alycia's Quilts for Finished of Not Friday

Michelle  at From Bolt to Beauty for Beauty Pageant - Friday

Frederique at   Quilting Patchwork Applique for Patchwork & Quilts - Saturday

Angela of  So Scrappy for Scrap Happy Saturday



Graphics from Pinterest.




 

39 comments:

  1. I checked the quilt on Diann's blog, that a lovely quilt! 9 patches are so quick and easy to make, you'll have this quilt completed in no time at all, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time posted a photo of the blocks or the quilt, I would say I have to make one for myself. I am glad I was able to get a start on it. I am trying to decide whether to work on it as a RSC project or just go ahead and work on it . Thank you so much, Gretchen for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I love how you worked with these beautiful floral fabrics.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The floral are so pretty. They have a vintage vibe to them. Thank you so much, sweet Isabel. I hope you are having a lovely weekend. Hugs. 

      Delete
  3. What a pretty jelly roll! Those fabrics will be perfect for your plus quilt. And yes Diann is a constant inspiration (I call it squirrel-spiration) with her pretty projects. I love that flag photo at the top of your post. Hope your electricity is more steady today - must have been the effects of Francine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was from Francine. We finally got rain late this evening which we needed desperately. I was thrilled with the jelly roll my daughter chose. It will make cutting and piecing so much quicker. Have a great weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it great how we all inspire each other!! I like your plus block beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Vicki. I wish I had more hours in the day to piece all of the quilts that I want. I was able to work on my plus blocks today. They are quick and fun. Have a blessed day. Hugs. 

      Delete
  5. What a lovely start to your new project, Melisa--I agree that we definitely inspire each other.
    Our quilting friends become wonderful "spring boards" to re-work their ideas into and make them our own works...I love how one's own personality takes that idea and makes it yours!
    Hope your E-power stays on for the rest of your weekend...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Julierose. I have found so much inspiration from our quilting friends not to mention motivation. Thankfully, the electricity stayed on today and I pieced 4 more blocks. We even got rain late this evening. I hope you have been having a good weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. I think you found the perfect use of your new to you jelly roll...Dancing Pluses. Hope you find time this weekend to keep on adding more of those wonderful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jelly roll is going to make the whole process a lot quicker. Thankfully, I was able to piece a few more blocks today and this time the electricity did not flicker. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. What lovely blocks you created, Melisa! Glad to hear your power outage was a short-lived one even though it flickered off for periods of time. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were fast fun blocks to work on- especially once the electricity finally stopped flickering. LOL We even got a bit of rain. Thank you so much, Robin. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  8. A very fun new start. I remember that project from Diann's blog. Sorry your play session was ruined by the power outages. That's just frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to work on a few more blocks today. It is a fun fast block to work on .It was just one of those days ; I am glad I was able to complete what I did . LOL. Have a great evening and thank you, Kate. Hugs

      Delete
  9. Thats a wonderful block and perfect for your jelly roll. Of course you need power aka electricity but fingers crossed you'll git her dun...lol. Still no sewing here on the surface of the sun. I'd hoped to sew today but not feeling very well. Maybe later today or tomorrow. Enjoy your Saturday. Hugs my dear friend. DarleneJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you start feeling better soon, dear Darlene. Sending you a big warm hug. No need to rush to the sewing machine until you are good and ready that is for sure. I was able to piece a few more blocks today- not as many as I had hoped because of those pesky chores , but a few is better than none. Have a great evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. I like your blocks, and thank you for directing me to a new blog! How blessed you are to still have your mother. I miss mine terribly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah you are so very welcome, dear. Diann is so sweet and is very prolific. It is always a joy to see her posts. I am so sorry to hear about your dear Mom. I do not feel like it ever gets easier. I feel the same about my sis; I miss her more and more each day. Sending you warm hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  11. Your Dancing Pluses are lovely, Melisa! I'm so glad I could inspire you to make some! That is definitely one of my all-time favorite quilts. The jelly roll bundle of pretty florals looks perfect for those plus blocks, too. We are away from home right now, but you're making me want to get home so I can sew again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Diann. I just loved your Dancing Pluses. I was able to piece 4 more blocks. I hope to piece some more today. You have me on a roll. LOL. Enjoy every minute of your vacation. Isn't it funny how we miss our sewing when we are away? LOL Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for the get better wishes! I suffer with this ailment every few weeks Ugh! I am feeling better this evening so tomorrow should be a better day. I can't wait to see your additional blocks that you made today. Hopefully you'll have some show and tell - teehee Sweet dreams!
    DarleneJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so sorry to hear that , Darlene. But so glad to hear that you are beginning to feel better . I have a confession - after starting Dancing Pluses - I started another quilt . LOL What is wrong with me? I guess I have "startitis" . Hee ! Hee! Have a wonderful day, sweet friend and thank you for the sweet Sunday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. I smiled all through your post - and now I feel the need to sew some Dancing Plus blocks too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah I am so touched, Sara. They sure are fast blocks to piece. I hope you join in and piece some too. Have a great week and Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Great block choice for those pretty fabrics. Hope the power stays on and the wind storm has passed you by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Deb. Thankfully, the power stayed on and we got a spot of rain in the evening. I was able to piece a few more blocks . We have had 2 power outages a couple of times these last few weeks- that is never fun. LOL. Have a wonderful week. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. I really like this version of the Plus block quilt because it can be made a block at a time. Others I've looked at have required a massive layout because of interlocking pluses. Good going! This is going to be so pretty with the variety of florals. What a sweet gift from your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the design for that reason too though the interlocking pluses are so pretty, but I wanted a quick fun block to work on. I was thrilled with the choice she made in buying the jelly roll. This was her 1st time purchasing fabric for me. LOL. She did a great job. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Not sure what happened but the anonymous post above is me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you so much, Ginny. I hope you had a great weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. I agree, moms make everything better ;) Your new project is lovely, and Diann version is too! Pretty floral fabrics, you will have a beautiful quilt very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Frederique. I am so excited to work on this quilt. Diann always has such fun quilts in the works; this one grabbed my heart day one. Have a great week and Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. Ohhhh I just love a nine patch (hoping over to Diann's page to see her Dancing Pluses. I just might have to start one too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope you join in, Sharon. Diann's quilt is such a happy quilt. I feel in love with it and I knew I would have to make one soon. Have a wonderful week and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  19. Excellent story & getting inspo from Diann is always a win! I have blocks to sew together from a quilt of hers that inspired me. Maybe this year?? And yes, the Dancing Plus blocks on her blog have always called to me. Perhaps they are an RSC2025 project. Just give in, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Oh yes, Sue, Just give right in and jump in . Hee! Hee! That is what I finally did. Diann's quilt are always cheerful and fun aren't they ? It is good to be inspired and enabled by one another. Thank you for the sweet Sunday visit . Have a great week and happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  20. A jelly roll is just full of possibilities! I like what you are doing with yours. Hope your power stays on today! Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

A Delightful Finish