Sunday, September 8, 2024

Pumpkins and Biscuits

                        Breakfast is ready!

Hello there, Sunshine! How about starting the day with a Sunny Sunday quilt stack! Then...


... let's head to the table for a good hardy  Southern breakfast. Biscuits , eggs and homemade gravy is on the  menu. 


Oh my, doesn't those biscuits look yummy?  Yep, I already snuck a piece right out of the skillet.  Please forgive me. Hee! Hee! 


While you are eating, let me share the Sunday happenings in the holler. 
First. The biscuits!   Mr. Pinker and I make a variety of biscuits. This week ; it is Bisquick Biscuits. - Easy Peasy!


BISQUICK BISCUITS RECIPE

INGREDIENTS

2 1/4 cups of Bisquick Original Pancake Baking Mix
2/3  cups of milk

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. 
2. In medium bowl stir  ingredients until soft dough forms. 
3. Turn dough onto surface dusted with Bisquick mix. Knead dough about 10 times.
4. Roll dough 1/2 inch thick and cut with 2 1/2 biscuit cutter. 
5. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. 
6. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. 

NOTE: If you bake your biscuits in an iron skillet, place 2  tablespoons of butter into the cast iron skillet . Place skillet in oven to allow the butter to melt .  Once you  have cut your biscuit dough out, remove the skillet from the oven . Swirl about carefully to distribute the melted butter in the skillet and arrange biscuits in the skillet. Return to oven.
 
 

I  have really enjoyed having my blue enamelware out on display for the summer. 

But it was time to say good bye to the blues and hello to  the brown crocks and stoneware. 
Do you spy the date the shelf was built burned into the underside of  shelf ? 

I also said  good bye to my summer quilts.


And hello to the fall quilts. They are displayed on thrifted shutters. 

The other day I was rummaging around in the quilt room when my little eye spotted some old quilt blocks that I meant to applique. 

 Years ago a dear friend gifted me a glorious bag of scraps . In the "Scrap bag of Goodness", were 4 white round pieces of fabric.


 Hmmmm I thought these look like roly poly pumpkins.  So off to the sewing machine  I went to  piece 4 big background blocks with fabric that I had on hand  at the time . 

After piecing the blocks,  a squirrel caught my eye and then off to another project I went tossing those pumpkin pieces aside. 



There those forlorn pumpkins  sat for nigh 10  years. I guess it is time to do something with them . Don't you think?  I am doing nothing to change the shape of the white "pumpkins. I am just going to slap them down and needleturn applique them.  Using old shirts, I will cut out stars. 
Here is the 1st block in the works. 


Squirrel Jar is coming close to a finish. I can not wait  to add it to my scurry of squirrels.  Did you notice the darling "Hello Fall stitch in the background. It is a freebie from October House Fiber Arts. My  sweet friend, Barbara stitched it for me. Isn't it gorgeous?  Gosh, that finish is to die for. ❤🤗

More stitches will also be added to Little Miss Beekeeper too. 
 

And I do have A Pumpkin or Two to finish. I hope to post it this week. 


Now onto the plans for the week. 

Hmm.... What Should I do This Week? 
🌞1. Quilt on Scrapberries  . I worked on Scrapberries all this week which helped me get in my 15 minutes a day quilting. 
🌞2.Work on Thanksgiving Mason jar
🌞3. Quilt "Alabama Beauty" .
🌞4. Work  on Mini Bouquet Sampler. 
Progress  as of July 12, 2024

🌞5. Continue Fall decorating. 

The darling crocheted pumpkin was a gift from Barbara. Love it! Thank you Barbara. It is a joy to bring it back out for the season. 


Well did you get you belly full? 😀😋 We have another batch of biscuits in the oven. So do not be shy about getting a 2nd helping. Then we can sit back and stitch the day away. Thank you for joining me on this fine September Sunday. 


As always,

Happy Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa

"Spread happiness and sparkle with positive vibes."

Hugs and Stitches!!! 🤗🧵

Do you remember these little game cards when you were a child?  I picked this vintage set up the other day at a yard sale for fifty cents. 

I always enjoyed playing Old Maid as a child. Aren't the graphics darling? 


Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy who loved to play cards with our Nanny. I miss and love you so much.   ❤👼

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.

Nina at Creations, Quilts, Art , Whatever by Nina for Off the Wall Friday

Frederique at   Quilting Patchwork Applique for Patchwork & Quilts - Saturday

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Kate at Life in Pieces for  Stitching Stuff ( Sunday) 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Carol at Quilt Schmilt  for To Do List Tuesday  


47 comments:

  1. Hello anf thank you for the tasty biscuits. They really look yummy. Your new deco looks nice as always. Your ideas are great. the quilts are beautiful. Today the weather has changed to really fall weather. Time to get the stitching things out. I will start with some fall stitchery.
    Have a lovely sunday.
    Hugs, Gabi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Gabi and happy Sunday. I am so glad you could join me this fine beautiful day. The temperature dropped here through the night and it feels like fall here too. Yesterday I went outside to see a light blanket of leaves on the ground. I wish you lovely day working on fall stitching. Hugs and Blessings and thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. Your autumn stuff looks lovely but the blue graniteware is so pretty! We're not really biscuit people but when I do make them, I add shredded cheddar cheese, kind of a Red Lobster knock off. This week I'm baking cinnamon rolls . We'll eat some fresh and the rest will go into the freezer. The grandsons will love these for after school snack, grandpa will snack with them. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheddar Biscuits sound diving as do the cinnamon rolls. Great idea on freezing them for after school snacks. I am going to have to remember that. The kiddos are always famished when they get home from school. Thank you for the sweet visit, Gretchen . Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, that is my kind of breakfast, and my Hubs would love that plate of food! All your pretty fall decor is looking wonderful. Enjoy your Sunday Melisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Linda . We grew up on biscuits and gravy and it is still a favorite. LOL. Thank you for the sweet visit . I hope you had a lovely day. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the biscuit recipe - I can never get good biscuits to come out right - either under one or burned. Love those old cards - I remember them so well! Looks like you have some wonderful projects coming up! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw you are very welcome, Donna. I have some hits and misses with biscuits too, but they are a family favorite. Aren't those cards the sweetest? They brought back many fond memories of playing cards with my sisters. I hope you had a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Did a little fall decorating this weekend. The weather this past week in central Indiana has been very cool for September. The upcoming week we will be back to normal, upper 80's. This morning we are a whopping 45 degrees. A great morning for baking biscuits! Hubby will thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah it is so good to hear that you enjoyed biscuits this morning too. Oh yes, with it being that chilly baking will warm things up. We got down to 53 last night, but I am sure it will warm back up in the next week or so. The weather is fickle here. LOL. Enjoy your week and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Got my fall decorations out this past week, loving seeing them again. My displays are super simple now, although there are several items that don't make the cut anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah that is so good to hear that you have been fall decorating too. Super simple makes it a lot easier when putting things away for the next season or holiday. I feel like I do not put out as much as I used to. I did bring out some things I haven't seen in years though- so that was nice. Enjoy your week, Vicki and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. You are doing good with getting out your fall decor, Melisa. That is on my list for the coming week -- put away the patriotic and pull out the fall. Yum on the biscuits, gravy and eggs! Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been busy all week bustling about putting out fall items. I have one section of the house that is a mess where I am moving things about but that goes with the territory. LOL. I wish you a fabulous week Robin and enjoy decorating for the fall season. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful Fall set up--loving those brown crocks!! We have a well-used beanpot that came down to us from my Grand-mere--I now use it mostly for Fall leafy branches...
    We are getting over our Covid-19 shots from yesterday--we both reacted quite a bit-- we need to take naps for sure later on...hugs, Julierose;)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so sorry to here that you had a reaction to the shots, Julierose. Listen to your body and take the naps. I hope you feel a lot better as the week goes on. I had to smile when you mentioned your Grand- mere's brown bean pot. My 1st piece was my Granny's brown bean pot and for awhile I was just not that into the "brown" , but all of a sudden I fell in love with the brown crocks and search them out. Still Granny's is my favorite. It is a treasure as I am sure your Grand-mere's is. Great idea on placing Fall branches in it ; I think I will borrow you idea:) Have a blessed day, Julierose. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Looks like you're having a lot of fun decorating for fall, Melisa! I love seeing what you're stitching on, too. Those white pumpkins are going to make a sweet little quilt! I bet we all have those projects that have gotten buried under a bunch of stuff for a long time, and they surprise us when they resurface. Yummy biscuits, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those long last projects certainly do surprise me when I unearth them. I often think why did I put them away . LOL. Oh yes, I am having a ball decorating for fall. I hope I get finished soon though. LOL. Thank you for dropping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Those biscuits look yummy. I think we will be doing a breakfast for dinner one night this week. I love seeing your fall decorations. We played lots of games growing up - board games and card games. Good memories. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we love breakfast for dinner; it always seems like a treat here. The cards brought back a lot of fond memories for me. I miss playing all the games with the siblings. We loved board games too. Thank you for the sweet Sunday visit, Deb. Have a great week. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. I’m itching to get my fall decor out. Soon! Always lots of pretty stitching going on at your house. The biscuits look yummy. We like to make them with cheese added. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm cheese biscuits sound divine. It has been a spell since I have made them. I do need to make a batch. I feel like it has been a whirlwind week of decorating; I am ready to wind it down. LOL. Have a blessed day, Gail and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Your Fall decorations are lovely! Love the little bird on top of the pumpkin, and your white pumpkin appliqué blocks are beautiful! Enjoy these delicious biscuits ;)
    Thank you for sharing your happy place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much , Frederique . I am really enjoying the little stitch . I think the pumpkin blocks are going to work up quickly. I am still debating on what to do next with them. Have a wonderful week and Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. Love seeing your fall decorations, Melisa! It's a shame to have to put that blue enamelware away, but the fall is lovely too! Enjoy your biscuits and eggs and stitching! Thanking you in advance for joining us at Monday Musings! Have an awesome week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed all of the blue enamelware being center stage , but luckily they just got moved to the laundry room shelves so I can enjoy them in there. Hee! Hee! Have a wonderful week and happy quilting, Brenda. Hugs

      Delete
  14. Yummy, my favorite breakfast. Fluffy biscuits and good ole sausage gravy. I’ll probably put some apple butter on another biscuits, that’s another yummy way to enjoy one. Thanks for fixing breakfast for us. Good job. Now, I love all your fall pretties and I can’t wait to stitch that stinkin adorable jar squirrel. He is so cute. You have a wonderful Sunday. 🧡🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes, apple butter! Hubby likes molasses on his. LOL. I hope to finish the squirrel jar this week . I can not wait to have it finished. I am so touched that you like it already. Have a wonderful week, dear Patti and thank you for the Sunday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Well, your day has started with a bang, Melisa! Your breakfast looks delicious. I'm salivating down here. How lovely your home looks dressed in all those Fall pretties. So, so much to delight the eyes. Love that stack of quilts..so, so cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much , Kim. I know it is going to be a good day when I have my favorite breakfast meal. LOL. I hope you enjoyed a nice Spring day. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. I think I spotted a few Hull pottery brown ware pieces :) I enjoyed your Sunday chat and love the quilts. Have a fun crafty week ahead and thanx for the biscuit recipe. I rarely have or make biscuit but will try them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I adore Hull pottery. I have been collecting it since the 90's. I am always excited when I pick up a new brownware piece. Thank you so much, Sharon. I hope you have a wonderful and productive week as well. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. Oh, My! So many things that made me smile in today's post. I think biscuits are my favorite bread, ever. The brown stoneware is so fitting for Autumn decorating. Did someone in your family make the shelf with the burned in date? Can't wait to see how you do up the white primitive pumpkins. The squirrel jar!!! Lovin' it! I played at least two of those card games. And more stitchings in the works. You are a wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are the sweetest, Ginny; thank you so much. I bought that shelf , I guess, 20 years ago for $3. I never noticed that date on it until last year. What a surprise. I love that it was dated ; I wish the maker had signed it. I can not tell you how excited I am to be nearing a finish on the Squirrel Jar. Have a wonderful week, Ginny. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  18. Yummy! I'll have to try to make your biscuits next weekend! So many beautiful projects, cant wait to see them finished!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah I hope you enjoy them, Diana. Biscuits is one of my favorite breads and this recipe is super simple. Enjoy your week and thank you for the sweet Monday visit. Hugs. 

      Delete
  19. Biscuits are one of my favorite foods. Although I don't make them often. Hubby does a puff pancake in his cast iron frying pan. I'm sure your biscuits done in yours are really yummy. I love your little squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh biscuits are one of my favorites too, Bonnie. We used to have them everyday as a child. My hubby has started making pancakes using club soda lately ; they are pretty good and seem to rise a little better. I am going to have to try making them in the cast iron pan. Have a wonderful day and thank you for the sweet Monday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  20. Those biscuits look scrumptious. Thanks for sharing the recipe and how to do them with a cast iron skillet. Your projects look darling. I remember playing those card games at my grandparents house when I was a little girl. Ah, memories...

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know how to do breakfast! Your fall decor is coming along beautifully. I am and am not ready for it to be autumn. As my mother said this weekend, Christmas is way to close for comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I have to admit Kate that I am not ready for autumn either. I am a "summer gal" even with all of the heat. I guess decorating for fall makes the change of season more pleasant. Your mom is right . Christmas will be here in a blink of an eye especially with the way this year is flying by. Have a blessed day . Hugs.

      Delete
  22. Your fall decor is beginning to look great, Melisa. There are so many adorable projects in this post but those appliqued pumpkins are super sweet. Hope you enjoy working (or playing) with everything on this week's list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Jeanna. I have been working on a Blackbird fall piece this morning. Hopefully, I will be able to check a few things off the list this week.Have a great week. Hugs.

      Delete
  23. I remember those cards - especially the Old Maid ones. So cool!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL , I just had to get those. They brought back a lot of fond memories. The Old Maid was my favorite. Thank you for the sweet visit, Donna. Hugs.

      Delete
  24. Hi Melissa I’m not sure which is yummier; your biscuit recipe or all of the incredible eye candy of your beautiful fall decor and stunning projects! Thank you so much for sharing and linking up with To Do Tuesday. I’m hoping this has been another fun, productive week and that you made great progress on your To Do List 😉 Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you very kindly, Carol. It is one of our favorite biscuit recipes though I have never met a biscuit that I did not find yummy. LOL. I wish you a delightful and productive week as well .Hugs

      Delete

Popular Posts

A Delightful Finish