Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Apple Picking and Wednesday Rambles- A Heart Doodle

Hello there Apple Dumpling! Come in ! Come in!   You know I am always up for a good visit. 

How has your week been thus far? I hope you are doing well and are enjoying these last days of summer. 


The laundry is all done and most of it is put away from our camping trip. 


Yesterday, I pulled out a few fall totes and so it begins- fall decorating! Have you started yet?  Or am I the only one late to the fall decorating party! šŸ˜€šŸ˜ƒšŸ‚šŸšŸ‚


I have really enjoyed having the yellow thrifted hexagon quilt hanging in the living room from the quilt shelf this summer. It lightened up the room and went perfectly with my bee decor, but I guess it is time for it to come down. 
I have not decided what will replace it yet. 

Soon the bee decor will be buzzing back to their bins and squirrels will invade the buffet. 


I have pulled out some of my brown dishware and crocks.  The little butter dish is my newest addition to the collection which I bought on the trip.  It is way in the back of the shelf propped up. 


Here is a sneak peek of my hutch . It is dressed in all things apple related. Of course , I will be doing a country clutter tour soon. Hee! Hee! 

The little red Tea tin in the background was a thrifty find on our recent trip. 

Speaking of apples My newest doodle is  all stitched up! I worked on it when we were camping in Kentucky. It is simply called "Apple Picking" .

Apple Picking

 Do you go apple picking with the family come fall? 
We used to pick apples at my Granny's homestead. She lived on the mountain and behind her cabin was a small vineyard; beyond it deep into the weeds, we would come to an opening where large  old apple trees with limbs to the ground stood tall, droopy and proud.  Hmm can you stand tall and be droopy? I think so. LOL.


 Anywhoo, as kids we loved going to the back of the property to pick green apples . Mom would make fried pies with them when we got home. But most of the time we liked to eat them straight off the limbs. 

Apple Crate  

šŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µ

If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends. 

šŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µšŸ§µ



                                My doodles are hand drawn and are never perfect.  


 The "Year of Hearts" blocks are embroidered on an 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" piece of cotton. You may want to cut your fabric larger for the hoop and then after embroidery trim and square to 8 1/2".  I used 2 strands of DMC floss and  the back stitch. I color tinted my design with crayons and colored pencils and carefully heat set the color with an iron. When you heat set the color, place a clean paper towel over the design and press .

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Both of my grandmothers loved to cook. Granny did not follow recipes and just added a pinch of this and a smidgen of that .  And everything she prepared turned out perfectly.  
Nanny was a fabulous cook too. She loved the whole process - looking at the grocery sales, writing the list, shopping, cooking- you know the whole 9 yards.  I am fortunate that I have some of her recipe books and handwritten recipes as well.
 
She wrote  her Applesauce Cake on an old envelope. Lol I just realized that I do the same thing.  I always use old envelopes to make lists on. 

Here is Nanny's Applesauce Recipe as she wrote it.  This was stuffed in her 1940's General Electric Cookbook.  Don't you just love old recipes? 

NANNY'S APPLESAUCE  RECIPE
1 Q - applesauce
1 teaspoon  soda
2 cups  sugar
1/4 lb  oleo
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon  allspice
1 teaspoon of cloves
1 box raisins
nuts optional
4 c of plain flour
DIRECTIONS Combine applesauce and soda. Stir well. Add remaining ingredients except flour. Mix well. Add Flour and mix well . Pour into tube pan . Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. 

Of course nowadays, you might word the recipe different , but it is so much fun to look back. 

Sorry for the wrinkles. 

My Year in Hearts doodles are coming right along. I hope to work on figuring out how to set them this week. I am still brainstorming , but I am almost there with an idea.  

Well Sweet Friends, I guess I better get off here and do some work. Don't ya' think? I am sure you have a busy day ahead of you as well.  Don't forget to do something fun though! Thank you for dropping by and...

As always...

Happy quilting and stitching, ya'll

Melisa

"Don't be afraid to go out on a limb; that is where the fruit is. " Mark Twain

Hugs and Stitches and Warm Spring Wishes !!!šŸ¤—❤šŸ§µ

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy . Love and miss you., Amo ❤❤

Ya'll come back now, ya hear ! 


If you have missed any of the other heart doodles, I do invite you to visit the previous posts by clicking the colored links. ❤

 Block 1 A Winter's Night

Block 2  Country Mail Delivery  

Block 3 A Country Spring Day

Block 4 Early Birds


Block 5 Strawberry Patch 

Block 6 A Buzzy Garden

 A Buzzy Garden with Bee Berry 


Bonus Block- Time for Gardening


Block 7 Jar of Geraniums  ( really block 8) 

 Block 8 Sunny Sunflowers


36 comments:

  1. The heart doodles are all so cute! I don't really do seasonal decorating except for Christmas quilts but I've had a Christmas quilt on display all this year so far. I just couldn't put it away after Christmas. Happy decorating and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw how fun, Gretchen. .I like having a little "something Christmas" on display throughout the year. As much work as you put into your quilts you should enjoy them as long as you want.  I have a big Christmas cross stitch that I keep out year round too and my Great Aunt's chalkware Santa . I just enjoy seeing them. Thank you for the sweet Wednesday visit. Enjoy your evening. Hugs. 

      Delete
  2. We have our own apple tree and we look forward to picking and eating them. Last year after picking we were able to store and keep until the end of the year! Just grab an apple and eat or use in baking a few things too. Cute new doodle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun, Vicki. How lucky are you! I wish we could grow apple trees here in the holler. Do you have a special way to store them? I know Granny used to wrap her pears in brown paper bags. It is so neat that you can have homegrown apples throughout the fall and into the winter season. I hope your tree is loaded this year so you will have a good harvest. The squirrels have been snatching all of the pears here. LOL. Thank you for the Wednesday visit.

      Delete
  3. Your Apple Heart Doodle is darling, Melisa. Nope, the patriotic decor is still hanging out in all its glory. Probably won't take it down until the weekend and then begin bringing out the fall stuff. Your little apple crate quilt is looking super. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Wednesday, Robin. I hope you have had a great day. I used to always keep my patriotic decor out until Labor Day; I just love all of the red, white and blue so much. In fact, I left out some of my stitching this year. I can not wait to see your fall tree and free standing stove decorated for the fall season. I always drool over your pretties! Have a great evening and thank you for dropping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Your doodle blocks are so pretty, that's going to be a very lovely quilt. My effort at fall decor is to change the dining room tablecloth, which I've not done yet. Maybe today for that. Enjoy playing with your displays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Nanny and Mom used to always change their tablecloths for the season too. I was always excited to see if which one they would pull out. I bet your fall table will look fabulous. Thank you for the sweet Wednesday visit. I hope you have a great day in the quilt room . Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Your apple heart block is so cute! What fun picking apples at your Granny's. We moved to the "country" when I was 10, and the 1940s house we moved to had an old apple and peach orchard next to it. We had some glorious apple pies and peach cobblers when they were in season. My Granny was like your Granny - to told me to use a "knob" of butter once. LOL! I can cook that way too, but I'm more like your Nanny - I love the whole process. Thank you for the applesauce cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw what a wonderful memory, Linda. Did you get your love for baking from your Granny?  I always love it when you post about your pies. We are pie people . I think hubby could eat one every day. LOL. I can imagine all of the fun you had in the apple and peach orchard. I am surprised there would be a peach left on the tree for your Granny to pick if you were like me. Hee ! Hee!  Mmm I do love peaches.  Thank you for the sweet visit, Linda and for bringing a warm smile to my day. Hugs. 

      Delete
  6. What a sweet memory of picking apples! Your apple heart is the perfect "souvenir!" We picked the fallen apples at my grandmas' and great grandma's houses. We made pies, applesauce and dried them. Our house smelled like apples from August through October! Of course, we ate a lot of apples too!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm the house filled with the sweet smell of apples sounds divine. I bet every time you bake with apples it takes you right back to your grandmother's and great grandma's house. Homemade applesauce is the best , isn't it ? Did you grandmothers' can apples as well ? Thank you for the sweet visit, Terry and for sharing such a heartwarming memory. You made my day. Hugs

      Delete
  7. Love the apple heart block, Melisa! Very cute. I loved reading about your memory of apple picking as a child too! Fun! My Granny was like yours - never used a recipe. Mama would use a recipe at times, but mostly just cooked and it was all wonderful! Thank you for the recipe. That applesauce cake sounds wonderful! Have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, Brenda. I hope you have had a great day in the quilt room. I am about to sit down for some stitching time here soon.Oh how I wish I could cook like my Granny and Nanny. I have to read and reread recipes, but it was down to an art with them. LOL. Don't you just miss your Granny's cooking? I sure do miss mine. Have a great evening and thank you for dropping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. I love your Hearts in doodles blocks--so neat, Melisa!! My own Grand-mere and apple pies were synonymous in our family for sure. I personally love to cut up half an apple in my oatmeal in the mornings--yum..
    I have to do the "changing" of the wall quilts this weekend for Fall--I will be poking through my folded piles to see what I have--lots of Christmas ones, I know...but maybe not Fall,
    per se. I like your Rail Fence in those apple colors--really cute..[Can I hop over and borrow it for my tv room wall spot ? hahaha, if only].
    Thanks for sharing your stories hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Wednesday, Julierose. Oh yes, I will send that rail fence quilt right over. LOL. It was a fun quick one to stitch. I pulled out a pile of quilts the other night. They are still sitting waiting to be put out on display. I hope you have a great time sifting through your quilts and changing them out. Mmmm I can just imagine your Grand- mere's apple pies. I bet they were delicious. There is nothing like grandma's cooking is there? Have a great afternoon and thank you for the sweet Wednesday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. You have amazing bee and apple displays, Melisa. I am getting the fall decor going this week. My daughter is supposed to visit next week and her request was that I have the house decorated for Fall LOL. Your heart embroideries are adorable. I've enjoyed watching you and Diann - Little Penquin Quilts stitch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw that is so sweet that your daughter requested for the house to be decked out for fall . I bet that warms your heart that she enjoys how you make your home so warm , cozy and welcoming. I am sure it brings back many fond memories of her childhood when she visits. Have a great time decorating. I hope you will share some of your vignettes on your blog. I always look forward to your Hoosier displays. Thank you so much for the kind words on my heart doodle. I always enjoy seeing what Diann and other stitchy friends do with them. Isn't Diann's the cutest? Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. I love apples, and I can just imagine that your apple hutch is going to be fun to see! Thanks for the September heart doodle, too - I'm ready. We have an apple tree in our yard - it will be time to pick some and make applesauce soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh homemade applesauce sounds divine, Diann. How lucky are you to have an apple tree. We have tried growing them here in the holler but with the poor soil they have not taken hold yet. But we keep trying. LOL. I am so excited that you like the heart doodle. It stitched up quickly . I can not wait to see yours. Thank you for the Wednesday visit. I hope you have been having a great day. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Welcome home sweet friend. Your trip was amazing, I am a little jealous! Good treasures, fabrics. food and exploring!! Love the Apple Picking Heart, next on my to-do list. Can not wait for your Hutch Tour, you know I love looking at each and every treasure that you show. Sending warm hugs from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, dear Mary. I hope you have had a great day. I have been cleaning , decorating and such. Oh yes, we had a grand time on our camping trip. It was nice to get away for a spell. I can not wait to show you my apple hutch. I have been tweaking on it today. LOL. Have a wonderful evening sweet friend and I hope you enjoy the little heart stitch. Big hugs.

      Delete
  12. Melissa, this was my first visit to your blog and I do believe that I am hooked! Your hearts are beautiful and I can't wait to see your finish! I did a bit of peeking in several of the other entries and just enjoyed every moment. Thank you for your abundant inspiration! I found a few saltbox patterns that I plan to start straight away....thank you so very much! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah Deb. Welcome! I am so grateful that you dropped by for a visit and very honored by your sweet warm compliment. You made my day. I am excited that you found the saltbox designs. On my side bar there is a list of subjects that includes "House Cross Stitches" and another called " Salt Box Houses" . If you click them, you will be taken to all the posts that are about the houses. I sure hope you enjoy them. Thank you again for the sweet visit and I hope you drop by often . Have a blessed day. Hugs

      Delete
  13. I love apple pies...is there anything sweeter than apples and cinnamon and the smell that fills the house when they are in the oven?
    Beautiful doodles...thanks for sharing
    Hugs from Spain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smell of apples and cinnamon are some of my favorite fall scents. I love baking this time of the year. I am hoping to pick some fresh apples soon. Thank you for the sweet visit, Isabel. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. That apple heart doodle is adorable. I might have to start with that one. The applesauce cake recipe looks yummy. I have great memories of picking apples at the orchard in Vermont growing up. No apple trees here in Florida though. :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a ball stitching the apple heart and it stitched up pretty quickly too. I hope to work on a new block soon. Hmmm I did not know there were no apple trees in Florida. How interesting. When we were youngsters we could not wait to visit Florida. As soon as we crossed the state line we stopped at the visitor center where free cups of orange juice was offered. I remember bags of oranges were offered everywhere. I haven't been to Florida in awhile. I am curious. Are there farms that allow customers to pick oranges? Thank you for the sweet visit, Deb.

      Delete
  15. You have such wonderful family memories. I didnt have any grandmothers in my life, sadly. My maternal granny died when my mother was still a child, and I have no memories of my paternal granny at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah I am so sorry to hear that, Jenny. I feel very fortunate that I had my grandmothers for so long. My Great Aunt was like my 3rd grandmother and they all doted on me. My grandparents hung the moon in my eyes. LOL. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hope you are getting settled in at home. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Lots of cuteness here!!! No apple picking in my area. Well, wait, that's not true - we picked apples in the produce section of the grocery store. LOL DarleneJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol the grocery store is the next best thing. Hee! Hee! I often to do best picking there. There used to be an apple orchard 2 counties over that we would visit, but that has been years ago. Have a super afternoon, Darlene. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. Yum! Thank you for your Nanny's cake recipe. I have many recipes written in my mom and grandmother's handwriting that always touch me in a special way when I come across them. The September Heart Doodle is just so pretty. They just keep getting prettier and prettier. Thank you. I was just noticing that our apples on our old tree in the side yard are beginning to turn color. I might make some applesauce to make this cake. That would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you are so welcome, Ginny and thank you. Nanny had bookoos of applesauce recipes. Hmmm I do need to compare them. What a treasure to have your Mom's and Grandma's recipes. Handwritten recipes are the best aren't they? I have my sister's but she would often just list the ingredients. LOL. How wonderful that you have your own apple tree . Homegrown apples are the best. Have a great weekend, sweet friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. Such a pretty doodle! I think this might be my favorite from your collection so far, though I love them all. Mmmm! I can almost smell the apple sauce and the cake, yum!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Diana. It was a real fun piece to work on and stitched up quickly. I just adore apple picking season. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

A Delightful Finish