Blog Archive

Monday, August 5, 2024

Monday Rambles and "Sunny Sunflowers" Doodle

Hello, Sunshine ! Happy Monday! How was your weekend? I hope it was not too hot in your neck of the woods, and you were able to enjoy the first days of August. 🤗🌻


Me ? Well, I have been missing in action for the last few days.  

Ginger, says "Howdy!" 


Actually, Mr. Pinker and I have been galavanting around on the World's Longest Yard Sale-  690 miles of yard sales and vendors stretching all the way from Michigan to Alabama.  We only traveled a small portion of it.  We like to visit the "yard sales " more than the vendors.   Did you do any thrifting this week? 

I returned home with a few thrifty treasures including this vintage sewing box filled with goodies. Now for a buck , I could not leave it behind. 😀💗 I will show you a few of my treasures in the next few posts as I get to them. 

This little basket is filled to the brim with goodies.

Anywhoo, not a lot of stitching has gone on here in the holler. I am making progress on my "No Name Sampler". Still lots more to go on it though. 


Strips have been cut. 

Shirting, pillow cases and quilt fabrics are being used . 

Little County Clare Units have been pieced. 

Even Christmas fabrics are pieced in my red, white and blue version of County Clare. 

Five more County Clare blocks in the works as I also piece Scrappy Flags. 

 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

I apologize for not posting this month's "Year of Hearts" doodle sooner. This month's block is all about sunflowers and is called "Sunny Sunflowers"

🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵

If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends. 

🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵



                  My doodles are hand drawn and are never perfect.  

 The "Year of Hearts" blocks are embroidered on an 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" piece of cotton. You may want to cut your fabric larger for the hoop and then after embroidery trim and square to 8 1/2".  I used 2 strands of DMC floss and  the back stitch. I color tinted my design with crayons and colored pencils and carefully heat set the color with an iron. When you heat set the color, place a clean paper towel over the design and press .

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Eight monthly blocks and one Bonus block are completed. 


If you have missed any of the other heart doodles, I do invite you to visit the previous posts by clicking the colored links. ❤

 Block 1 A Winter's Night

Block 2  Country Mail Delivery  

Block 3 A Country Spring Day

Block 4 Early Birds

Block 5 Strawberry Patch 

Block 6 A Buzzy Garden

 A Buzzy Garden with Bee Berry 


Bonus Block- Time for Gardening


Block 7 Jar of Geraniums  ( really block 8) 


Alrighty y'all, I have some cleaning to do so I better get at it.  If you would like to join me, just bring your dust buster and jump right on  in. Hee! Hee! 😁I can all of the help I can get to tackle those dust bunnies!


As always...

Happy quilting and stitching, y'all

Melisa

"Happiness is enjoying the little things. "

Hugs and Stitches and Warm Spring Wishes !!!🤗❤🧵

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy . Love and miss you., Amo ❤❤

Ya'll come back now, ya hear ! 

Neighbors corn field near our trout stream. 

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet. 

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Carol at Quilt Schmilt  for To Do List Tuesday 


34 comments:

  1. Goodness! Your doodles are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Meari. I sure do enjoy creating and sharing them. I also appreciate the sweet visit and kind compliment. Have a wonderful day and Happy stitching. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Stinkin adorable doodles. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Patti. I hope you had a great weekend and your week is off to a fabulous start. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh thank you so kindly , Pat. I have enjoyed stitching and sharing each one. I drew out the next one today so I hope to work on it this week. Have a fabulous week. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Love, love the newest doodle, sunflowers are my summer favorite. I can hardly wait to see what you have in the sweet basket of sewing!! Did I really read that you got the sewing basket for a dollar?? Lucky girl! Weather here has been hot, hot, HOT & Muggy. No rain to speak about , so much for the monsoon! Oh well, December is coming, and the weather will be cooler. Glad you had a great break and enjoyed you time on the road. Sending warm, muggy hugs from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello , dear Mary. Gosh , I wish I could send you some of the rain that we have had. All of my water barrels are filled to the brim which is nice. I bet cooler weather can not come soon enough for you. Yep I bought the basket for just a dollar. The family was wanting to get rid as much as they could. I love those kind of prices. Hee! Hee! Have a wonderful day and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs from the holler.

      Delete
  5. Be still my heart! I love your August doodle with the sunflowers, Melisa. Can't wait to get started on it! Sounds like you had a fun trip. I used to have a sewing basket like that one - I wonder what ever happened to it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad that you like it, Diann. It was a fun one to work on and it worked up pretty quickly too. We did have a great time just being out and about and getting a few goodies sweetened the trip. Isn't that little basket the sweetest? It was hard to resist. Have a fabulous day and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. You're doodles are so cute! I'm not much on handwork but these are looking to hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are so very kind ;thank you so much. I have had a ball stitching on these little pieces. I can not wait to piece them into a quilt. Have a beautiful day . Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Melisa, I had to laugh when I saw your little dustpan and handsweep. I have one exactly like it only in blue!!!! Sweet stitcheries and have yourself a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh a blue dustpan and handsweep ! How cute! Don't you just love the fun colors? I can not remember where I bought the pink one. I am sure from Dollar Tree or Walmart. I have a little pink feather duster too. LOL. If I have to do housework , I might as well have pretty colored pieces to work with. Hee! Hee! Thank you Susie for bringing a smile to my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. I thought of you when I heard the huge yard sale was happening. The sewing basket is a really cute one. Can't wait to see what else you came upon in your travels. I really like the "No Name Sampler". It is going to be extra special. I can tell. August's heart is so pretty. My daughter loves sunflowers. I can't see them but think of her. Such cute pink cleaning stuff. I'll be right over to help clean, even tho my stuff doesn't match. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ginny. I hope you had a great weekend. Oh yes, we had a ball visiting the yard sales. We have been going to them for years. There was not as many sales as usual but we enjoyed those that we went too. Thank you so much about my No Name Sampler ; I am sorta designing as I go on it. Sunflowers are one of my favorites too. It has been years since we have grown any though. LOL no need for matching 'cleaning items' . Hee ! Hee! I was able to get some dusting completed and mopping. Tomorrow I will tackle the laundry. LOL. Have a great day. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Such a large yard sale. We don't have them here, but we do have thrift stores and I love them.
    Love your doodles, they are beautiful.
    Have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of yaed sale. Must be funny. Oh I get jealous. The sewing basket reminds me to my school days when we had needlework lessons. I had nearly the same one I remember. My Granny gave it to me. Today needlework in school....... no chance. Must go more often to the fleamarkets, but no, no more staff in my house. My kids will kill me.
    The doodles are awesome.
    Have a happy day,
    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yard sales are a lot of fun. Sometimes you find goodies, but I am like you I do not need to bring more things into my house, but LOL, it is hard to resist. Hee! Hee! It warms my heart that the sewing basket brought back fond memories. I do wish needlework and other skills and crafts were taught in school. Thank you for the sweet visit and have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. By the way it's been hotter than blue blazes. I'm ready to be done with Summer. Whew! DarleneJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, Darlene, I wish I could send you some of the rain we had these last few weeks. It has been so nice, but I fear we are going to pay for it with hotter days in August. I hope you get some relief soon. I bet y'all have been hitting the 100 mark and over. Yikes!

      Delete
  12. I missed you too, Darlene. It is good to be back. We are very fortunate to have a lot of good thrift stores here. I have even discovered some new ones these last couple of weeks. But I need more "treasures" like I need a hole in the head, but I sure do love the search . LOL. Hugs and Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. May I ask what medium you use to achieve the colors on your stitcheries? Is it a paint or crayon or pencil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kat. Thank you so much for asking about my stitcheries. I use a combination of crayons and colored pencils. I start by layering coloring the piece with a white crayon and then I use several different crayons to add color. I use a circular motion to color . I work from the outside in. Next I use the colored pencils to add even more colors. I think the pencils add a lot to it. I heat set the blocks . I then go back and color if too much comes off. I then embroidered the blocks, heat set them again . I hope this helps. It is a lot of fun coloring the blocks. I hope you will give it a try . Have a great evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Did you camp on your yard sale trip? Your No Name Sampler is so pretty. Love those heart blocks, when I first saw your sunflowers I thought it said "skinny" sunflowers - lol! What a pretty piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we didn't get to camp, but I sure would have liked to have gone further out. We would get up early and take long day trips. We were able to visit 3 states worth of sales. I even found fabrics , a quilt and some tops. Lol. Skinny sunflowers would be about like what I would grow. Hee! Hee! Thank you so much for the sweet visit and giggles. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Your Sunflower doodle is adorable, Melisa. Glad to hear you have been gallivanting. The No Name Sampler is looking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time, Robin. We look forward to the sales every year whether we get anything or not. Thank you so much for the sweet Tuesday visit and kind words on my sampler. I am enjoying it. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Do I assume you took the camper and had fun camping too. I am sure you enjoyed the yard sales along the way. Love the new heart sunflower block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping we would camp along the route , but we ended up taking long day trips. We were able to go to sales in TN, AL , and GA and had a grand time. I got a few sewing/ quilting goodies as well. We always have a great time when thrifting. I think we are going on a short camping trip this weekend. I am certainly ready for one. Have you been able to go camping lately? Thank you so much, Vicki. Hope you are having a great day. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. Those sunflowers are just perfect for August. So glad you found a few treasures on your adventure. But it has to feel good to be home in the air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right , Kate. The heat is smothering so it is nice to be in a nice cool home. We will be going camping this weekend and I have to admit that I dread the heat. Hopefully it will not be too bad though. Thank you for the sweet visit and kind words on my sunflower. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. So much wonderful eye candy to oogle over (nwpaintedlady)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw shucks, Sharon. Thank you so much. I was able to get a few things on the quilt front completed. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

A Delightful Finish