Blog Archive

Saturday, December 2, 2023

Gingerbread Saltbox and a Doodle- A Christmas Freebie

 I made a house of gingerbread.

It was so sugary sweet. 

It took me all day long to make 

But lasted just a week. 

On Monday I ate the ceiling

On Tuesday I ate the door. 
On Wednesday I ate the windows. 

On Thursday I ate the floor. 

On Friday I ate all four walls. 

On Saturday I ate the lawn.

On Sunday, I licked up all the crumbs. 

My gingerbread house is gone!

Good morning , Sugar Pies and happy Saturday. 

Isn't that poem the cutest? 

Every year I hold our family gingerbread house making party where the grandchildren and nephews create a gingerbread house. I hope to do that in the next week or so. Do you make a gingerbread house for the Christmas season ?  Sometimes I make homemade gingerbread, but the premade kits sure do make the house making process easier especially for little ones. 

Do these bring back any memories to any of you? Brown Paper Bag and Pampered Chef cookie molds. I collect them. If I see one at the thrift store for $3 or less, I will usually pick it up. 

The other day I was shopping at Wally World aka Walmart when a gingerbread man cookie jar jumped into my buggy;  being as cute as a button, I could not turn him down when he begged to come home with me. 

Mmm. Do I have you hankering for a bit of gingerbread yet? Hee! Hee!  Well oh bummer no sweets today. I just have not been in the kitchen baking since Thanksgiving, but I do have a new saltbox that I would be thrilled if you took a moment to look at.

 

This is my new saltbox of the season- Gingerbread Saltbox. 

Oooh did you notice the sweet sugary gingerbread men  that are marching along candy cane lane.  I just want to gobble them up. 

One lone gingerbread man has jumped on top of the  sugared snow topped roof. He is quite a character  isn't he? 



I stitched Gingerbread Saltbox on 14 count tea/coffee dyed aida. There are only 9  DMC floss colors in this house   which include: 3371, Blanc, 436, 815, 902, 937, 895, 898,  and 975.  

If you have been following me for awhile you know I am doing this as a hobby and work with the primitive of resources- that being said- the colored chart did not print well in respect to symbols so I wanted to leave a note about the colors and placement . I have also included a large symbol print version.  I hope this is of help if you decide to stitch this home. 

Y-  DMC 436  - Part of quilt star and window panes.

R DMC 815 Part of quilt star, candy canes, curtains, door, 

G-DMC 895- Corner blocks in quilt star, 2 sections in the large trees. 

X- DMC 898 - Tree trunks

/ - DMC 902 Roof

O- DMC 937 - 2 sections in the large trees, garland under windows and wreath

∆-  DMC 975 gingerbread men, house

•- DMC 3371 Gingerbread men's eyes

W- Blanc- Snow, candy canes, house trim, snow, quilt star

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends. 

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄






I have a little doodle for you too. This is what I will be working on today- A Bowl of Gingerbread. I think I will trace this on a piece of fabric, color tint it and embroider. If I am lucky, I will have progress
to show tomorrow. 



UPDATE:  Dec. 3, 2023. I finished the embroidery work. In case you are interested, the unfinished block size is 8 1/2" x 10 1/2".  I used the following DMC floss colors- 898, 498, 351, 3371, 895,  and 413.  Three more blocks will follow. 


Here are some other links that might strike your fancy!

Previous Christmas Houses include: 





Every year I make Gingerbread Doodles . They are so yummy. 


Okay, Sweetness, I am off to get my gingerbread on and boogie the day away! Have a beautiful day!

Oooops! Before you leave- Have I told you lately that you are awesome?  You sure are and I appreciate each and every one of you! Thank you for always being sweet as can be. Love ya' 😘

Gingerbread Hugs and Peppermint Kisses!!!
As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa 

I thought we could make gingerbread houses, eat cookie dough , go ice skating and maybe even hold hands. - Buddy the Elf. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. I love and miss you so much. The Christmas season is not the same without you. Love you , Amo. 









41 comments:

  1. They really will enjoy this family activity and I'm sure it will be delicious.
    Beautiful embroidered houses.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to making the gingerbread houses with the little ones. Thank you for the sweet visit, Isabel . Enjoy your day. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for the gingerbread house. Is beautiful!
    Thank you for your creativity and your generosity.
    Kisses,
    Pilarín

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are always so kind , Pilarin. Thank you so much for the sweet compliment. You always brighten my day. Have a lovely evening and happy Christmas stitching. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I just love gingerbread men. Thank you so much for your saltbox pattern and your doodle. Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are so very welcome, dear Annelies and thank you. I had a ball stitching up the house and have been working on the doodle today. I hope to piece it into a quilt. Have a wonderful evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. I love the gingerbread saltbox house. I finished turkey Holler and I am working on candy cane cottage. I love them all. Thank you for sharing. Today is my birthday so I may have to start the gingerbread house as my birthday start. So many great patterns and not enough time. You are right the pre-made gingerbread houses are the way to do it. Have a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy happy Birthday, dear Joy! I hope your day is a beautiful and blessed day filled with joy and a big slice of cake! Aaah thank you so much for stitching Turkey Holler. I hope you enjoyed each and every stitch. I am so excited that you are working on Candy Cane Cottage. I am working on a sister house to that one today. Thank you for the sweet visit. Enjoy your evening, dear. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. This is the cutest house! I love it! Thank you for being so "sweet" and sharing it with us! We tried making gingerbread houses years ago using graham crackers instead. Lol. That was really fun but disastrous! Still, a precious memory! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Donna. I enjoyed stitching and sharing this little house. Lol. we have made graham crackers houses too and Yep we had disasters- walls falling , icing sliding off the roof. The woes of gingerbread construction. Hee! hee! At least we can gobble up the disaster. Have a fabulous evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Oh i wish I did counted cross stitch--your designs are ever so adorable--but I did copy Mr,
    Snowman and will redwork him...thanks so much for these cute drawings...
    hugs, Julierose;)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Julierose. I have really enjoyed working on Mr. Snow. I am still trying to figure out how I want to set the blocks. I hope you enjoy the little fellow. Enjoy your evening and happy quilting.

      Delete
  7. I adore the trees in the gingerbread stitchery, and the gingerbread boys are just perfect. I have never made a real gingerbread house, but when the kids were little they did the little houses using graham crackers. Thanks for more cute stitching patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Vicki. The little stitched trees remind me of Flying Geese units. Oh yes we have made graham cracker houses too. I am glad you reminded me of them. We might do that with the kiddos. Have an awesome afternoon. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Melisa your Gingerbread Saltbox is adorable! Your patterns are the bestest ever. :) I did make gingerbread a couple weeks ago with a cake mix! It was good, but my husband's favorite is the Betty Crocker box mix (LOL!), and my favorite is an old recipe from a lady in the church of my childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know there was a cake mix for gingerbread. I am going to have to check that out. I always enjoy the smell of freshly bake gingerbread. Thank you so much for dropping in Linda. You always make my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Gingerbread houses was never a thing for us growing up. My sister collects Gingerbread men/women etc. She has quite the display for Christmas. Your new saltbox is really adorable. Hope you'll post a few photos of the results of your contest. I bet the kids have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never made gingerbread houses as kids either. I started this tradition a few years ago with my kiddos and it has now continued on with the grandkids. They enjoy it especially sneaking tastes of the candy and icing. Lol. I bet your sisters gingerbread collection is amazing. They are fun to collect. Oh yes, I will have to post photos of the kiddos contest. Have a lovely evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. I love gingerbread cookies, but have never made a gingerbread house. I do think I might have to try your Ginger Doodles recipe, as well as stitch that adorable gingerbread men doodle! The Gingerbread Saltbox is adorable, too. So many fun things to stitch - thank you, Melisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saturday, Diann. I hope you do try out the gingerdoodle recipe ; they are yummy! I have been working on the gingerbread embroidery today. I hope to finish it by tonight. Have a great evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. This is love at first sight Melisa, beautiful saltbox, thanks for sharing!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely adorable! Your posts ALWAYS put a smile on my face as well as your designs! Thank you your delightful post! You are a gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are so sweet. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. You brought a big smile to my day. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  13. We love Snickerdoodles and Gingerbread here in the Hoover House. I never thought about combining both to make a GingerDoodle. I took the recipe and will be trying them out. They go perfectly with the new Saltbox! Thank you, Melisa, as always! You are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Susie , let me know how you enjoy them, Susie. Hubby doesn't care for gingerbread but fell in love with the Gingerdoodles. I have been pouring over my cookbooks looking for new recipes. Thank you so much, sweet friend. You are the sweetest. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. What a cute saltbox house - I hadn't seen your older ones either. I think I may need to do some printing - thank you for your generosity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Jennifer. I had a ball stitching on this house. The house stitches are some of my favorites . I hope you enjoy the little designs and have a wonderful holiday season. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. A wonderful Saltbox and a cute gingerbread doodle! Thank you so much! I made 96 (!!) little decorated gingerbread men one year! I must have been nuts! Once was enough! I can almost smell your cookies! Yum! I made some Danish shortbread cookies called Fedtebrod today. I taste tested them and they were light and crispy. Not too bad! I have made exactly 1 gingerbread house. I helped my kids do it several times. I bet your "making day" is loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 96!!!! I bet the house smelled wonderful, but I bet you was pooped afterwards. Oooh I have never heard of Fedtebrod. I will have to look that up. I have been looking through baking recipes today trying to decide what to bake. Thank you for the sweet visit, Ginger . Hope you have an awesome week. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Wonderful Saltbox! Nope, no gingerbread will be made at this house. When our girls were in elementary school we made them. Some years, we used graham crackers because they only wanted to put candy on the houses!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah such sweet memories of your girls making houses when younger. I think that is what my grandchildren like to do and eat the candy. Lol. Thank you so much, Terry for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. Cute poem at the beginning and such an adorable saltbox, as well as doodle! Thank you, Melisa! Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear Brenda. I hope you have had a great weekend and wish you a lovely week. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. The Gingerbread Saltbox is stinkin' cute! I'm currently working on the Christmas Eve Saltbox and it will go so well with it..along with the Candy Cane one too. I can't wait to stitch these. Thank you so much for your generosity. I love these Saltboxes and your embroidery designs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , Jennifer, I am so very honored that you are stitching Christmas Eve Saltbox and thank you for stitching Candy Cane Saltbox as well. I hope you have enjoyed every stitch. Your kindness made my day. Have a wonderful week and a very Merry Christmas. Hugs

      Delete
  19. Thank you so much for the darling gingerbread bowl pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are so very welcome and thank you . I hope you enjoy this little design. I hope to make more to add to the gingerbread doodles. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  20. Wow, you're being prolific! Thanks for these two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so kind, Susan. Thank you so much. They were a joy to share. Hope you enjoy. Hugs. 

      Delete
  21. Thanks for all patterns have stitched many of your houses and I enjoy stitching them

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much for the cute gingerbread pattern. My kitchen is all gingerbread, and this will look great when I finish it! I love all your patterns…keep um coming. Have a great Christmas!🎄

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

What To Do Tuesday