Blog Archive

Monday, December 11, 2023

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

🦌Rudolph the red nosed reindeer had a very shiny nose 

And if you ever saw him 

You would even say it glowed...🦌

 Good afternoon, Sweet Friends. Welcome.

 Are you about finished decorating for Christmas ? I am still decking the halls . I am sure I will be tweaking the displays and trees all the way till Santa and his nine sweet reindeer make their journey on Christmas Eve. Speaking of reindeer- Guess what? After 4 years of piddling away on my Rudolph Quilt, it is finally complete. 

This quilt is composed of 12 Puss in the Corner blocks featuring the bright nosed buck. In 2020 , I bought a nurse's scrub shirt from the Goodwill with Rudolph on it. I  immediately knew I wanted to cut it up and create a quilt.  

The rest of the fabrics are pieces that I had in my stash even the black and white gingham border which was a  full sized sheet that I cut into strips. 

There are 12 blocks measuring 10 inches. I added a 1" inner border and a 3" outer border.  Rudolph  measures 38" x 48". 

Being a lover of useless but interesting trivia, I gathered  a few facts about dear Rudolph. 

RUDOLPH FACTS:

1. In 1939, Robert L. May created the character Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for Montgomery Ward in Chicago as a advertising gimmick . 

2. In the 1st year, Montgomery Ward gave away 2.4 million copies of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer coloring book. 

3.  Robert May's brother in law, Johnny Marks created the "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer "song based on the book . 

4. Gene Autry's recording of Rudolph hit  No. 1 on the charts Christmas week of 1949. 

5. In 1964 a television special was created for the beloved character. It has been telecast every year since then. 


The Rudolph quilt is hand quilted with spirals and swirls. 

 I used a cable design to quilt the outer border.   I used a tropical print for the binding because it had a lot of turquoise in it. 

Rudolph is all ready for the Christmas season! 


So what do you do when you finish one Rudolph quilt?  Well...... of course you start another one. 🦌🎅 

The fabrics have been chosen. 

And a block has been pieced.  The Rudolph fabric in this new quilt was a gift from dear Donna and in a previous life was a curtain .  I will be piecing more blocks this week. 

Now I have a question for you . Do you have a suggestion of another block to add to this Shoo Fly Rudolph block? I am thinking 5 Shoo Flys and 4 other blocks. I want red to be the main color in the next block. 

Alrighty, Sweeties, I am off to quilt the day away. I hope your day is filled with stitchy goodness and ...

As Always...


Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

Aaah I love this  Christmasy time of year. Especially when everything is running happy and smooth, like it is this season. - Sam the Snowman

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy who loved he Christmas season as much as I do.  I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

Rudolph Freebies that might interest you. 

Yukon's Christmas List and other freebies-  Cross stitch freebies from Beth at Heartstring Samplery. 

Printable Rudolph Sheet Music- free printable vintage sheet music provided by Pam Kessler on her blog House of  Hawthornes

Rudolph Cross Stitch Freebie- A free cross stitch from The Stitcherhood. 

Reindeer  Embroidery Hoop Ornament- A darling quick embroidery from Heather at Homemade Heather blog




I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet. 

Frederique at   Quilting Patchwork Applique for Patchwork & Quilts - Saturday

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Kate at Life in Pieces for  Stitching Stuff ( Sunday) 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Joy at Days Filled with Joy for This and That

















32 comments:

  1. Your new quilt is stinkin beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, dear Patti. I am so happy to have it finished. I can not believe I dragged my feet so long. Lol. Hope your week is off to a lovely start. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Rudolph is just adorable, Melisa! I love the classic Rudolph print, and the greens, reds, and blues together. Hooray for a finish! Thanks for linking to the other cute designs, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Diann. I am over the moon to have this quilt completed. I already had a place picked out for it. I will enjoy it for years to come. Have a wonderful evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Very, very cute quilt, Melisa! I've missed your!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you from the bottom of my heart. It warms my heart to be missed. I can not tell you how much that means to me. Enjoy your evening and stay warm and cozy. Big Hugs

      Delete
  4. Enhorabuena, Melisa!!! La colcha de Rudolph te ha quedado preciosa. El esfuerzo ha merecido la pena por este resultado tan magnífico!!!
    Besos,
    Pilarín

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so kindly, Pilarin. It has been a joy to work on each Christmas and now it is time to enjoy the finish. Have a blessed and beautiful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Your Rudolph quilt is darling! Congrats on the finish! My grandmother bought the book (not the coloring one) when it first came out - wow - still can't believe that! My mom had it, then I had it, then my girls, and now my grand kids. I can't believe it's actually lasted that long! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, Donna ! That is a treasure to have especially since it has been passed down from one generation to the next. That is amazing! Aren't the graphics so charming? I saw a decorating video the other day and a lady had a number of the older looking books . I am not sure how old they were , but they were delightful to see on display. I bet your family has so many heartwarming memories of reading this book together. You brought a smile to my day . Hugs and Blessings

      Delete
  6. Lovely Rudolph quilt! Everything looks pretty in your quilt, these fun prints, sashings, and beautiful hand quilting stitches. It's a very pretty addition to your Christmas decorations!
    And this new Rudolph block is cute too!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Frederique. You are always so kind. It was a fun quilt to work on and already holds a lot of fond memories. I wish you a beautiful and joyous day . Enjoy your quilting time. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. A big 'ole congrats on finishing your Rudolph quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Vicki. I am so excited to have this little quilt completed . Now I will be able to enjoy it for years to come. Hope you are having a lovely day and Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on finishing off the Rudolph quilt. It's really cute, I love the bit of blue/teal you used in the piecing. Not your typical holiday color, but it adds a lot of fun. Happy stitching on your new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am elated to finally have it finished for the holidays, Kate. I have been enjoying the bit of teal colors for the holidays; I thought they looked sorta retro. This year I found a little teal looking reindeer at the Dollar General that reminded me of Rudolph and the quilt. So I will pair them together. Have a wonderful afternoon. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Love your Rudolph quilt finish, Melisa! It makes me smile. Hmmm, maybe a 9-patch! Your new block looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Robin.  I am over the moon to have finished this little quilt. It brings back lots of fond memories. I think a nine patch would be perfect for the next quilt. I am hoping to sit down to the sewing machine  today. Hugs. 

      Delete
  10. Oh Melisa, your Rudolph quilt is just adorable!! It feels so good to have a finish, doesn't it?!! Thanks for sharing on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it sure does, Brenda. I dragged my feet on this one for way too long and there was not too much to do to complete it either. I don't know why I didn't do it last year. Lol. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. The Rudolph quilt is fabulous! I like a nine patch block alternating with a churn dash...with the darks in the middle on each side of the block (4 squares) and lights at the corners and centre (5 squares).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for the suggestion, Kathy. I think a nine patch would look fabulous . I have to admit it is one of my favorite blocks. I hope to add to the quilt today. Enjoy your day and happy quilting and stitching. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Rudolf is a cutie! I like your block for your next quilt too! Perhaps finding and fussy cutting centers that follow the song for future blocks? Such fun facts about Rudolf. My decorating is complete and we are getting close to having all the important stuff completed---TerryK@OngoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Terry . I have been trying to fussy cut and get as many of the characters in the blocks as possible. I have always loved Rudolph and the North Pole crew. Aah now you can sit back and enjoy your beautiful decor and relax. I hope you have a wonderful day, Terry. Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. Fantastic, cute and lovely, Melisa!!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, dear Isabel. I can not tell you how excited I was to finally finish this quilt. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  14. Such an adorable quilt. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so very much, Jennifer . It has been a wonderful project to work on these last few years. I am so glad to have it completed. Have a blessed day.

      Delete
  15. The Rudolph quilt is just so festive and fun! Hmmm... An alternate block....how about the exact same block in opposite colorations? I would also turn the HST around putting the red to the outer corners. Keeping the center block the same with give it continuity. Just an idea. I hope I made some sense there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that's a great idea,Ginny. I worked on the quilt yesterday and pieced some nine patches. I think I will make some blocks in that format too since I have extra fabric. I could make 2 quilts for the boys. Thank you so much for the suggestion. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Your little quilt turned out really cute, I really like it. I also really like the little guy with his red nose. To the melody of Rudolph, a German band wrote a song about "Erwin, the fat snowman", which is also great.
    Hmmm, a good question, I would use the same block but swap the colors, instead of blue for red. Or you can take the 5 blocks straight away and the others you want to make in the main color red.
    Have a good time,
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much , Martina for the sweet compliment on my Rudolph quilt and the great suggestion on the alternate blocks. I pieced some nine patches yesterday, but I think since I have extra fabrics. I will make a 2nd quilt too alternating the colors. Aaah "Erwin the fat snowman" - how cute!

      Delete

Popular Posts

What To Do Tuesday