Blog Archive

Sunday, October 1, 2023

"October! There is Magic in the Name"

October! October!

There is magic in the name.

A clear sky , A blue sky,

And sunsets all a flame ...

October! October! 

The hills are all aglow

With red leaves, with gold leaves

That dance when the soft winds blow...

-D. Maitland Bushby


Good morning, Sunshine and Happy October! 

With Thy Needle and Thread's October Word Play. 


Shall we start the day off with a little October doodle? 

This is October Pumpkin Patch with a sweet plump cat and a big ole' pumpkin. 


Ten redwork monthly embroideries completed.  

I am using DMC 498 to stitch my monthly doodles. 


 🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

 If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends.

  🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

My little doodles are hand drawn so they are never perfect. 



Each block is stitched  on a 7 1/2 squared piece of fabric and then trimmed it to 6 1/2" . The block is then framed  with 2" strips .

The leaves are all falling and they're falling like they're falling in love with the ground" - Andrea Gibson

A sweet scarecrow quilt embroidered a few years ago.

Four little scrappy leaves ready to be placed into a quilt. 

On Friday, Kathleen Tracy of a Sentimental Quilter shared Step Two in the Autumn Leaves SAL  Are you working on Autumn Leaves? 


I have neutral fabrics to pull and cut for Step 2. That is on the agenda today.  Hmmm what else should I work on?  Aah the November Doodle !!!  What should I draw? Do you have any suggestions? I do believe a turkey should be in the November doodle. What do ya' think? 

Oooh do you hear that? Black cats, jacks and witches are haunting my attic . I do believe they will be creeping out today.

 Lots of Halloween decor needs to be pulled out. I wish you were here to help me. I am sure I could rustle up some treats to eat as we worked and then when we finished, we could relax on the porch and enjoy some stitching.  Doesn't that sound delightful?

Well, Punkins, if I am going to get all of this done, I better get to scootin' . Have a beautiful 1st day of October and...


As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa

Happy October ! May your month be golden and be filled with many blessings.  

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear baby sister, Amy. I love and miss you so much, Amo. ❤❤❤  I can imagine how you would be decorating for the Halloween season. You loved it so. 


se lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet. 

Frederique at   Quilting Patchwork Applique for Patchwork & Quilts - Saturday

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Kate at Life in Pieces for  Stitching Stuff ( Sunday) 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday












34 comments:

  1. October already! Doesn't seem possible, does it? Thank you for sharing your October embroidery - so cute! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem possible. Goodness how these year is flying by. Hope you had a very 1st day of the month, Donna. Hugs

      Delete
  2. I knew I was going to see pretty Autumn colors, and blocks, and embroideries here ;)) Lovely leaves, and these embroideries are so cute!
    Thank you so much for sharing your happy place, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frederique, you are always so sweet and supportive. Thank you so much for brightening my day. Happy October  . Have a beautiful day. Hugs. 

      Delete
  3. Happy October, Melisa! Lots of fall goodness in your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Robin. I hope you had a wonderful day. It is hard to believe it is October. Lol. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Oh how I love October! I’m going to copy down that poem in my catch-all book of thoughts, memories etc. And I will be embroidering your October doodle for sure. Thank you so much for another uplifting visit here with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that just a sweet poem,, Maureen? I hope you have had a lovely 1st day of October and I am so honored you will be embroidering my doodle. Thank you so much. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Happy October to you! How about a scarecrow? Maybe a pilgrim? A cornucopia could prove difficult but would be a suggestion too. Whatever you decide will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy October, Susie. I hope the 1st day of the month treated you well. Oooh those are great ideas. I have been on a scarecrow kick here lately. Thank you so much for the ideas and for the sweet visit. Hugs. 

      Delete
  6. Melisa, your post has so many pretties. I love your poems you share with us. Gotta get busy on that October doodle. Hope you have a beautiful stitchy day. 🧡🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear Patti. I hope you enjoy the Pumpkin Patch Doodle. It was a fun one to work on. Happy October, sweet friend.

      Delete
  7. It's always such a joy to visit you here! I look forward to every post, Melisa. I'm going to say it again, you're like the energizer bunny! You just keep on going and doing. Don't ever change, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah that means so much to me, dear Darlene. You always lift my spirits and bring a warm smile to my day. You are the best. Hope you had a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Your SAL leaves are so pretty. Perfect fabric choices! October is my daughter's B'Day month so it is a special one to me. Love the monthly doodle! Hmm...yes, a November turkey sounds good. With a Quaker hat on his head, maybe? LOL Or maybe a cornucopia? So many possibilities. I would love to spend an afternoon arranging all of you pretties! I'd bring some hot spiced cider to sip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, dear Ginny. The leaves were so fun to piece. Kathy's instructions are so easy to read and follow . Aaah a turkey with a cap would be so cute for November. Happy October, sweet friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Happy October!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Betty and a very Happy October to you. I wish you a month of happiness and joy. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Can you share the October word play pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the October Word Play adorable? But it is not my design. It is from Brenda Geravais of With Thy Needle and Thread . She has one for each month and they are all so cute. I do believe you can find them on her website- Country Stitches. Happy October, dear.

      Delete
  11. I love October, too, Melisa! Your October doodle is cute as can be, and the leaves are great. They are tempting me, but I'm trying to get some other things done first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy October, Diann; it is a wonderful fun filled month. I am looking forward to all it has to offer. I am wishing you a very productive month. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. All of your doodles are super cute. The October one takes the cake...or pumpkin :) I look forward to seeing all of your Halloween decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Jeanna. I can not wait to get this small quilt completed. It has been a lot of fun to create and share. Happy October.

      Delete
  13. My pumpkins are out! We have thanksgiving next weekend. Enjoy your slow stitching. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yah! I just love pumpkin season. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Happy October, Gail

      Delete
  14. September flew by. . .I had to look twice that it really is OCTOBER! How does that happen??? I look forward to seeing you orange display when you share it with us. ---TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure did, Terry. I wish these months would slow down don't you? Thank you so much for the sweet visit and Happy October. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Super cute, love those scrappy leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Karen. I certainly am enjoying Kathleen's SAL . I look forward to seeing the finish quilt. Thank you for the sweet Monday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. I love everything! Most especially your quilts. I have a special request to see a seasonal quilt parade whenever you display them. I’d love to see the whole quilt in all its glory! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Julie . I will have to do a seasonal quilt parade. That is a fabulous idea. I appreciate the sweet Monday visit and wish you a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. That was a short wait, the best kind! Thank you for Oct doodle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Susan. I hope you enjoy the little doodle. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Wordless Wednesday Camping in the Woods