Blog Archive

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

First of August Rambling and a Doodle

 

Two posts in a day? Aaah why not. 😁😀 Good evening, ya'll and Happy August! 


In August when the days are hot, 
I like to find a shady spot, 
And hardly move a single bit,
And sit ,
And sit, 
And sit. 


August is usually a hot month for us, and I expect this one will be just like the ones in years past. 

 
Summer House  which I shared in 2021

It is hard to believe but next week the grandbabies will be going back to school. Soon football and baseball season will begin too. The boys will certainly be very busy.  The oldest grandson and my nephew has decided to join the fishing team as well. We are looking forward to all of the activities that August has to bring us. 
Speaking of August activities. This week is one of my favorite times of the year . Eeeeh! The World's Longest Yard Sale begins! 690 miles of thrifting fun from Michigan all the way down into Alabama. Are any of ya'll going or better yet setting up?  Mr. Pinker and I will be thrifting throughout the week looking for dirt cheap deals. 

I will certainly miss my sister who loved yard saleing too. We would call one another or see each other on our routes as we both looked for deals. By evening time, we would meet up at my house to see what treasures we had scored. Such dear memories. We always took vehicles because we never knew what we would bring back.😀🤗

Any whoo if I do find any good deals, I will certainly show you. I always am on the search for quilts, quilt tops or sewing supplies and whatever else strikes my fancy like primitives or antiques. 

Oooh ! Let's talk about quilting now. 
I finished my August doodle. 

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻
If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻



Each block is stitched  on a 7 1/2 squared piece of fabric and then trimmed it to 6 1/2" . The block is then framed  with 2" strips .


🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋

Now onto the plans for the week. 

 Did I Get'r Done... Well   -  Last Week's Goals were... 


🌞1. Quilt a block in the Summer Days Quilt. 

I quilted Buzz Buzz. For those who do not know,last year I shared 12 embroidery designs for the summer. This year I am quilting the quilt. 

🌞2. Work on Churn Dash Quilt from Little Quilts Patriotic Book. I completed the quilting this past  week. 



🌞3. Work on new crock cross stitch. 

🌞4. Quilt at least 1 block in my Butterflies from Heaven quilt.

Not only did I complete one block , but a 2nd one as well. 

I am quilting a cable design in the sashing. 

🌞 5. Work on September's Doodle Block. The doodle is all drawn and in the hoop. 

🌞 6. Work on Joy's Tis the Season SAL and QAL.

🌞 7. Oh, bummer, I went to the dentist last week. All went well and I do not have to go back for awhile.  

 

Woo  Hoo! 100% I did pretty good on my goal's last week.  Hmmm what should I do this week? Well....


Hmm.... What Should I do This Week? 

🌞1. Quilt a block in the Summer Days Quilt. I am on a mission to complete this quilt.  I will begin with Little Blue Birdie

🌞2. Work on Churn Dash Quilt from Little Quilts Patriotic Book. Binding should be completed.  I like to bind small quilts when I am riding down the road. Maybe I will do that as we make our way to yardsales.

🌞3. Work on new crock cross stitch. Finish this piece.  

🌞4. Quilt at least 1 block in my Butterflies from Heaven quilt.

🌞 5. Work on September's Doodle Block. 

🌞 6. Work on Joy's Tis the Season SAL and QAL.

🌞 7. Hopefully find some deals at the yard sales. 


🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋 🦋


So have you made your plans for the week? 

Well, dear friends, I guess I have jabbered long enough. I so appreciate you stopping by on this fine Tuesday evening. Try to stay cool and enjoy your day. 

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa 

"August is upon us and we welcome it with beaming smiles and open  hearts." 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my sweet baby sister, Amy. I love and miss you so much. 


                🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.  

Carol at Quilt Schmilt  for To Do List Tuesday 



















16 comments:

  1. Great job on last week's To Do list, Melisa. I hope you have a great time at the yard sales and a safe trip. Good luck with this week's list also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful time working on my quilts. It is a little slow going since I hand quilt everything, but I enjoy every stitch. I am hoping to hit a few yard sales tomorrow. Fingers crossed I will find a treasure or two. Lol. Have a great week and thank you for the sweet visit, Jeanna.

      Delete
  2. Your August doodle is cute as can be! I've been printing out your monthly designs, but haven't stitched any yet - this one might be first on the list. Have fun with your thrifting trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so  much, Diann. I have been enjoying working on the little doodles. I can not wait to get all 12 completed. Di at Quilting is Blissful is stitching  them in various colors and hers are gorgeous. She makes me wish I had done the same. Lol.  I hope you enjoy them in the future.   I am looking forward to the yard sales. Last year I found two quilts. Have a great week. Hugs. 

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the August doodle. I enjoyed reading this post and thinking about you doing the yard sale. I've always wanted to, but never have. I hope you find some wonderful things. If I were going, I'd be looking for that old tracing wheel! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time at the yard sales, Susan. I was given 3 sewing baskets and I thought of you as I searched for sewing supplies. I did not see any old wooden sewing wheels, but my basket did have a vintage plastic one still in the package. It was just 33 cents back in the day. Lol.

      Delete
  4. I do love a good yard sale - haven't been to one in ages tho. :-( The miles long yard sale sounds fun. I'll have to tell my dd who lives in AL. We've been to the one that's held in FL. Love your monthly doodles - thank you so much for sharing them. I really want to get back into embroidery! But quilting seems to be getting in the way! :-O! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go ever year to the yard sales. I have to admit visiting the sales in Alabama is my favorite- there are more true yard salers rather than vendors and often you can find better deals. Aah thank you so much on my little doodle. It is so exciting to hear that you are enjoying quilting time. Sometimes it is just hard to pull oneself away when you are having a great time. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  5. When you're on a roll, you're on a roll, Melisa!! Thanks for the new doodle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: The old folk used to say when the cows are lying down it's going to rain! They were right about 50% of the time! LOL

      Delete
    2. Aah thank you so much, Brenda. I am hoping to stay on a roll. Lol. Maybe I won't stall out. . Have a great week. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. I miss my sister also I love how you dedicate the blog to her. The hard part I cannot call her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a terrible loss when you loose a sibling ; there is a hole in your heart that never heals. My heart goes out to you . I miss my sister something terribly and cry for her every day. I agree not being able to call and talk to them is the hardest. Sending you a big hug. I know your sister is smiling down at you from heaven. Thank you for the sweet visit .

      Delete
  7. Going "Sailing" is a fun thing my friend and I used to do together. She is gone now, too, and I don't have a Mr. Pinker to go with me (shucks!😉), so it isn't enjoyed near as often anymore. Thank you for the latest monthly doodle. The August Sunflowers are just perfect! That scrappy patched brown butterfly made me smile! THAT is my kind of butterfly! The piecing gives the butterfly such a special look! A little progress every week is adding up, isn't it? Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, I know you have such fond memories of times on the river with your friend, Ginny. Keep those memories close to the heart. You are so welcome for the doodle. I had a great time stitching on it. The brown butterfly reminds me so much of my sister. She loved earth toned colors. I am excited to see this quilt come together. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Aaah you are so very sweet and thoughtful ; thank you from the bottom of my heart . I can not tell you how much it means to me to hear that you enjoy my humble little blog. Your kindness certainly gave me a spark of motivation and encouragement that I needed. I am so very grateful. And I am so very touched by your kindness about my sister as well. I think about her constantly . It is hard not to share a little about her. Thank you again , Sweetie. You made my day!!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Wordless Wednesday Camping in the Woods