Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Wee Fall Quilt Parade

Good morning, Sunshine! Welcome! ๐Ÿค— Oh, please, do grab you a cup of coffee or perhaps ice tea and join me for a mini fall quilt parade. 

I thought it would be so much  fun to pull out just a few fall pieces from days gone by.  Later, I will refold them into a pretty quilt stack. 

This wonky pumpkin quilt was created 20 years ago or longer. It brings back memories of taking our daughter to the dyslexic center to have her tested. On one trip, I stopped at the quilt shop where I bought this delightful pattern packaged in a sweet paper brown bag.  I fell in love with the prim wonky pumpkins immediately.  I would work on appliqueing it  as my daughter went to vision and physical therapy. Yep , she was dyslexic. We were asked many questions and one was did she crawl. Well she  only crawled for a week and then she was up and running .  How interesting how the mind and body works. 

One of my favorite blocks to work with is a simple nine patch.  It did not take long to whip up this small quilt. It measures 24" x 24" . Aren't the fabrics so yummy? 

Some of you may recognize this little quilt called "Fall 1817" . I think I pieced it in 2021. Anywhoo. I was just trying to use up some of wonky strips and pieces of shirtings. What a crazy looking crow? ๐Ÿ˜€

On my fall hutch, I had a wee quilt called Mom's Pumpkin Pie displayed. 

Now I have moved it to the little red bin 

Mom's Pumpkin Pie was created in the 90's .   My how my applique has come along since then. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜„

Lots of teeny wonky scraps were sewn up and a big pumpkin pie was appliqued over the squares. 

Of course I had to include Mom's Pumpkin Pie recipe at the time. 

 I use a slightly different recipe now, but it is just as yummy.

Today , I will continue working on another small quilt for the fall season. 

My favorite comfy Goodwill stitchy chair. 

A simple little four patch. All those wee four patches are quilted. 


It is time to move to the borders.  Did you notice the yellow fabric has  turkeys strutting about? 


Do you like to create small simple quilts? If so, how do you enjoy displaying them?

Well , Sweeties , thank you for dropping in for a visit and ...

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

Thank you for the sweet visit. 

A good day is a day spent quilting. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงต❤

Dedicated to my baby sister, Amy.  Love and miss you, Amo 

                      Ya'll come back now , ya hear! 

Some fall quilts on display with  my stitching. 



 I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needleworkers to meet. 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Joy at Days Filled with Joy for This and That

Susan at Quilt Fabrication for  Midweek Makers Wednesday

Jennifer at Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday  Wait Loss- Wednesday

Denise at For the Love of Geese for Put Your Foot Down- Thursday

Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday- Thursday

















30 comments:

  1. Good Morning - I love looking at some of your "old" mini quilts. Brings back some great memories, doesn't it? I don't have any mini quilts but I do like looking at quilts I've made for people - especially the grand or my kids. In fact, my oldest just returned a quilt for repair - and what a job that will be! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Wednesday, Donna. I bet looking back at your gifted quilts brings back a lot of fond memories. I hope the repair job on the quilt goes smoothly without incident. It takes time and forethought doesn't it? Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I adore the pumpkin pie quilt with the recipe. I need to file that one in my brain for a future project. Thank you for sharing in my Sew & Tell party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Melva. It probably pieced that one in the 90's and was trying to preserve Mom's recipe. I need to make an updated one. Have an awesome day. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. You have so many fun little quilts, Melisa - love seeing them! The 4 patch one you're quilting right now is adorable - the yellow turkey print is the perfect background fabric. I enjoy making little quilts, too, and they're all over my house, on every horizontal surface!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the small quilts fun to make?  I am like you- I like to have them all over the house tucked here and there.  I just finished quilting the four patch today. Now onto the binding. Lol. Happy Wednesday and thank you for the sweet visit. . Hugs. 

      Delete
  4. You have some very fun fall mini quilts. Love all the memories that you shared about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Kate. It is fun to have a little mini quilt to work on especially when I am on the road or visiting someone. Plus it makes me feel like I have accomplished something as I am working on the big ones. Lol. Happy Wednesday. Hugs

      Delete
  5. Such a parade of wonderfulness! Every little beauty so creative and fun! Love the turkey fabric! I definitely need to follow your lead and do more little quilts. I have plenty of horizontal surfaces to cover and that would be a really good start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Ginny. They were just a few that I pulled out and was looking out. I finished the four patch with turkeys today - now to pick out the binding. The little quilts are fun to put in baskets or just drape on tables. Have an awesome day. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Loved the Autumn quilt show, Melisa!!! Brilliant idea to put your mom's pie recipe on your quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Nancy for the sweet visit and kind words. I need to create an updated pie quilt since Mom has changed her recipe. Lol. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing all of your little quilts, Melisa. My favorite is Mom's Pumpkin Pie. A true family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Jeanna; you are so very kind. I have come a long way since appliqueing that little quilt, but it brings back such fond memories . Hope you had a lovely day.

      Delete
  8. Your little autumn quilts are lovely, Melisa!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Isabel. It was fun to pull out just a few of the fall quilts and reminisce over . Enjoy your day . Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Oh, crumb! This post has been another "Why didn't I think of that?" moment. I spent too many years convinced that quilts had to be big enough to go on beds and never thought to make a little quilt "just because." Since we downsized, even my table runners are too big! That has got to end. You have inspired me to make some simple 4-patch and 9-patch quilts just for the fun of using a few favorite fabrics. Thanks for the wake-up call! Kris

    PS: I agree with Jeanna, the Mom's Pumpkin Pie quilt is indeed a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah well that just warms my heart that this little post gave you a bit of inspiration, Kris. The little quilts seem to tide me over as I work on my big quilts. Hubby loves the big quilts which I do too, but gosh I do need a finish every now and then so little quilts feels that need. . Hee ! Hee! Oh yes quick little four patches and nine patches certainly fill the bill for quick cute projects. Have a wonderful day, sweet friend. Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Love your small simple quilts and how you display them! If I had display space I might create some as well. Thanks for letting us tour your fall quilts. Such fun. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/10/18/wednesday-wait-loss-350

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Jennifer. I have always had a soft spot for little quilts. I do not have much space either , but lol I still keep creating them. Hee! Hee! I hope your day has been a lovely one. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  11. Everything is soooo charming!! Quilting I love (other peoples) but it's another rabbit hole I am trying not to fall down, though your lovelies make me want to. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, Betty, I know about rabbit holes. I have fell down a few myself. LOL But you are the sweetest. I have really enjoyed working on these little quilts over the years. Thank you for the sweet Wednesday visit. Have a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Great idea to write your mom's recipe on the quilt, Melisa!! Thanks for the parade of cute fall quilts! Fun, fun, fun!! Have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Brenda. That is an old quilt , but a joy to pull out each fall season. Have an awesome day. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. Love the quilt with the recipe from your mom. Lots of wonderful fall projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Susan. That is an oldie but goodie. I wanted to preserve her recipe at the time and is always a fall favorite. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. You must never sleep, just changing out the decor is very time consuming. Everything is beautiful! Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah you are the sweetest, Denise. Lol - I wish I did not have to sleep and could quilt and stitch 24/7, but I do love being able to change out my quilts for the season. Have a blessed week and thank you for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  15. Love the Folk Art look of your creations. The idea of adding the recipe is one that I think I'll steal for a potholder. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Joy . Ooh a pot holder with the recipe would be a great idea. I hope you make one- that would be as cute as a button and a great gift too. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Wordless Wednesday Camping in the Woods