Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

I Am on a Roll!

Good afternoon, Punkins. I am on a roll- a Pumpkin Roll that is !

 So  grab your apron and let's head to the kitchen! We have fall baking to do !

I pulled out a fall apron for the baking season. 

 I'll pull out the ingredients. Can you grab a mixing bowl or two?   Oh, and do not forget the parchment  paper and tea towel.

My ingredients are all gathered. 

And here is the recipe. 

PUMPKIN ROLL

INGREDIENTS

1 cup of sugar

2/3 cups of pumpkin puree

3 large eggs, beaten

1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

3/4 cup all purpose flour

1 teaspoon of baking soda

8 oz cream cheese softened

1 cup of powdered sugar

2 Tablespoons butter softened

1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract 

DIRECTIONS
  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 10" x 15" jelly roll pan. Blend sugar, pumpkin, eggs and cinnamon. In another bowl mix flour, baking soda. Add to pumpkin mix. Blend till smooth. Spread on to prepared pan. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. You can do the toothpick test as well. Baking time will vary depending on oven.  As soon as the cake comes out of the oven ,invert onto towel. Roll cake in towel with seam side down. Cool completely on a baking rack. In another bowl beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla until smooth. When cake has cooled unroll from towel spread filling over cake. Roll cake up . Place in plastic wrap and refrigerate . Sift  powdered sugar on it before serving. 


Doesn't the batter already look yummy? Excuse me if I sneak a taste.๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜€ 

Spread the batter evenly on the jelly roll pan.  


I placed parchment paper down for easy clean up . I sprayed it with non stick cooking spray. 


 I better not forget to tap the pan a couple of time on the counter just to settle the pumpkin mix . 



While the Pumpkin Roll is  baking, let me show you my newest finish- 

Four Wonky Pumpkins Mini Quilt. 

I pieced this little quilt last year. I  had 4 small orange scraps begging to be used and in no time flat I pieced this simple little quilt . 


As soon as it was pieced , the sweet quilt made its way into a basket until the other day.

 It took only a few hours to hand quilt it and bind it.  Now why didn't I finish it last year? Lol I don't know, but it is complete now and ready for fall  display. 


 Alrighty, y'all!   Mmm! Mmm!  The smell from the kitchen is divine. The  roll has come out of the oven. I inverted it onto a tea towel, removed the parchment paper and rolled it tightly . (Well I have to confess in the middle of this process I received a phone call- so not as tight as I would have liked) .  Let the cake cool completely before filling it.  When you are ready to fill, simply unroll, add the cream cheese filling to the center and smooth to about 1/2 inch to the edges in order to prevent as  much cream cheese from oozing out so much  when you roll.  Once you roll, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.  Your pumpkin roll can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days or you can freeze them up to a month. 


 I do believe our pumpkin roll is cool. Let's have a slice. Oh yum! 

 Goodness those swirls are terrible. Remember , I was chatting away on the phone. Lol.  I have to tell you that I have  a personal preference for my pumpkin roll to be undercooked   . When it is chilled it is so moist and delicious especially after sitting for a day or two in the fridge, but that is just a personal preference and is not noted in the recipe.  I will try to take a better photo with the next roll. 

 


I am so delighted you joined me today and thank you for helping me with the fall baking; it sure made the task a joy for me.  Now let's eat some cake! Have an awesome evening! 


As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"The best way to embrace the chill of autumn is to preheat the oven and start baking. "

Hugs and Stitches!!!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงต❤

Dedicated to my dear baby sister, Amy.I miss and love you, Amo.


I pulled out one of my vintage tea towels for the harvest season. Do you collect old calendar tea towels?  



 I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needleworkers to meet. 

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Joy at Days Filled with Joy for This and That

Susan at Quilt Fabrication for  Midweek Makers Wednesday

Jennifer at Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday  Wait Loss- Wednesday

Denise at For the Love of Geese for Put Your Foot Down- Thursday

Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday- Thursday

Nina at Creations, Quilts, Art , Whatever by Nina for Off the Wall Friday

Alycia's of Alycia's Quilts for Finished of Not Friday

Michelle  at From Bolt to Beauty for Beauty Pageant - Friday

Wendy at Wendy's Quilts for Peacock Party - Friday

Sarah at  Confessions of a Fabric Addict  for Whoop! Whoop! - Friday


29 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your recipe, although I must admit that pumpkin rolls or pumpkin pies are not a thing here. We do have yummy jam rolls though, plain batter usually with jam filling. I love roast pumpkin, and make pumpkin soup regularly in the season, so it looks like we use our pumpkins in savoury recipes down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my a jam roll does sound very yummy. I a going to have to try to make one someday. It is tradition that we always have a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas so I am looking forward to that in the near future. Thank you for the sweet visit, Jenny.

      Delete
  2. Save a slice for me - I'm stopping by tomorrow. snicker Looks very yummy, Melisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I will have it all wrapped up and in the fridge waiting, Darlene and then afterwards we can quilt the day away. Doesn't that sound like a perfect day? Thank you for the bringing a smile to my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Now why haven't I ever done an "anything" roll?!? Mom made them all the time. Chocolate with ice cream filling, sponge cake with jam, gingerbread with lemon. I'm writing down the recipe right now...I even have everything I need in the pantry and frig. It's meant to be! Thanks once again, Melisa. Kris
    PS: The Wonky Pumpkin Quilt is so smile-worthy. I've never even thought to collect calendar towels. Rats, my mother-in-law had a drawer full. Sigh, I think they went to the farm to use as clean-up towels. I'm taking one more look at your pictures to see what I can spy before I check on my husband. Kris
    PPS: I'm putting Rosie's Pumpkin wagon on a card to send to a dear lady in a care home. She grew up on a farm with all the assorted animals, a big garden, loved to sew, and embroider. I guess we are all kindred spirits at heart! K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh , Kris. I am so intrigued by the gingerbread with lemon roll. .Yum Yum. I hope you enjoy the pumpkin roll. My mom and dad have already requested one so I will be back in the kitchen tomorrow with 2 more rolls in the oven . Lol I started collecting the towels about 30 years ago; I don't see them as often as I used too. I am so excited to hear that you stitched Rosies' Pumpkins -aah such a sweet gift. I bet the lovely card will bring a warm smile and fond memories to your dear friend. Have a super day. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. I have tea towels back to 1959. Use them every week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow what a treasure. The tea towels back then were made a lot better than what we get nowadays. It is so good to hear that you use and enjoy them. Thank you for the sweet visit, dear. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Cute pumpkins. Yep, once something gets put away it seems to stay away. And I rarey remember why it got put awy. Probably company comng.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Claire. I do that all the time. Last night I was going through another basket and found more little quilts waiting to be quilted. I have picked out a few for upcoming projects. Thank you for the sweet visit and have a lovely day. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, yum! I love any baked thing with pumpkin. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do too, Diann. Sweet treats with pumpkin, pecans or sweet potatoes are always a fall favorite around here. Thank you for the sweet Wednesday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. That pumpkin roll looks delicious! I've not made one. . .wasn't brave enough to try the roll part of the process! You make it sound easily doable!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Terry, it is really easy. I know you would have no problem making one. Mine wasn't too pretty this time, but it sure was yummy. The family has already requested another one. So I will be in the kitchen baking again here soon. I hope you give it a try sometime. Thank you for dropping by for a visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. I like anything baked with pumpkin and cinnamon!
    Oh I have to try this recipe quickly....it looks so delicious.
    I really liked the quilt, Melisa.
    Hugs from Seville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a family favorite and usually the 1st thing I bake for the fall season. I hope you will give it a try, Isabel and thank you so much for the kind words on my quilt. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  9. The pumpkin roll looks yummy and I love your little pumpkin quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Pat. It was gobbled up in no time. More baking will go on this weekend. I am so excited to have the little quilt completed and on display. It was a fun easy quilt. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  10. For some reason I cannot sign in to comment with my Google account! Anyway, I love cinnamon but am not a huge fan of pumpkin. I will occasionally eat pumpkin bread...as long as it has lots of nuts in it! LOL Your wonky pumpkin quilt is adorable!! Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to change browsers!! Never had to do that before!

      Delete
    2. Oh that is so strange, Brenda. I have found that blogger can be finicky sometimes ; I have trouble making comments sometimes too. It has been ages since I have had pumpkin bread; we often have banana nut bread . Oh yum! Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Oh Melisa, that pumpkin roll looks delish! You can't go wrong with pumpkin and cream cheese! I love your little pumpkin quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty , Jeanna. I no time the pumpkin roll was gobbled up. I agree you can never go wrong with cream cheese. Lol. Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  12. Yummy! Perhaps the small pumpkin quilt didn't get finished last year because you didn't bake a pumpkin roll to inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I do believe you are so right Gwyned. Now that I think about it; I didn't make a pumpkin roll last year. Hee! Hee! I am over the moon to have this little quilt completed. Have a wonderful day, Sweetie and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. I have to admit, even though I consider myself a pretty good baker, I have always shied away from pumpkin rolls. Maybe this will be the year I finally make one. Thank you for the recipe and inspiration! The little pumpkin quilt is so sweet! Good for you for finishing it up. I have a few towels but never set out to collect them. I've always thought they were so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you would have no problem baking up a pumpkin roll, Ginny. This one was devoured in no time. I have already made 2 more . Lol. But in my defense one was for my parents. I have so many sweet memories of the calendar towels hanging up in my grandparents' and mom's kitchen. I agree they are so pretty. Have a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Yum! That pumpkin roll sounds delightful. I might have to give it a try. Love that adorable pumpkin mini. So cute! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/10/04/wednesday-wait-loss-348

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Jennifer. The pumpkin roll was very yummy and gobbled up in no time. I appreciate the sweet visit. Have a very lovely day. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Wordless Wednesday Camping in the Woods