Blog Archive

Thursday, August 10, 2023

Zippety Doo - Dah and Christmas Time.

 Hello there, Sunshine! 

It is a beautiful but oh so hot! Are you trying to stay cool? I sure am.

 The grandbabes will be here in a few short hours right after school ; I am sure they will be out splishin' and splashin' in the pool in no time . I just might have to join them. 

In the meantime,  I will work on a bit of embroidery. It is Embroidery Thursday for me. 😀

I have the last of my Country Christmas Doodles to work on . With a  bit of scrap fabric and DMC 498 floss, soon  I will be stitching up a storm. 

Frosty's hat is embroidered.

It's Dandy Doodle time!!!  4 more Country Christmas Doodles! 

🎄  🎄  🎄  🎄   🎄  🎄  🎄 🎄  🎄  🎄🎄  🎄  🎄  🎄  🎄🎄  🎄  

If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends.

🎄  🎄  🎄  🎄   🎄  🎄  🎄 🎄  🎄  🎄🎄  🎄🎄  🎄  🎄🎄  🎄  



Soon I will have 4 more ornaments to add to Granny's ole' dough bowl for a total of 16. Come Christmas time they will be hanging on the tree. Previous doodles I have shared are  Country Doodles page 1 , Country Doodles Page 2 , and Country Doodles Page 3.  If you are interested in seeing how I finished them, click on  Country Doodles Page 1 above. 

A few days ago my nephew and his dad arrived at my doorstep toting 3 large garbage bags stuffed full of quilting fabric. 

"You want this" this inquired my sweet nephew with a spark in his eye. 

"I sure do! "I exclaimed in glee .

 The bags didn't even make it all the way into the house before I was diving head first into the first bag. 

Soon my nephew plopped a bowling ball tote  next to me. I popped my head out of the plastic bag and quickly unzipped the bowling bag-. "Hmm a bowling ball? " I asked 

 "Nope , Auntie, I don't know what it is? "

I carefully unzipped it only to find loads of glorious quilting thread. "I think I have gone to  quilt heaven!" I exclaimed. 

After getting a quick hug, my sweet nephew was soon on his way . And then I did a swan dive right back into the garbage bags where I explored yards and yards of holiday and seasonal fabrics. 

 Mr. Pinker soon came upstairs .  "Yooo Whoo, where are you Hun?" I heard him chime.

 Well I was just too busy to pull  my head out of those glorious bags to answer. 

Then I heard a "Hmmph" "What are you doing going through the garbage, Sweetie? "  

" Garbage? This is  not garbage," I mumbled as my head was buried deep in the folds of fabric. "  I just received a special delivery and guess what? These bags are filled with treasures! "  and then I popped  out of the bag with handfuls of fabric in hand. 

"Aaah that explains it , " as he laughed and walked away. He knew there was no pulling me away from all of the quilty goodness. 

I reserved a basket  of holiday fabrics to work on Christmas quilts. 


Now that brings me to my next project. Over the last few weeks, I have been drooling over the "Zip" blocks that Diann at Little Penguin Quilts  and Cathy at Sane, Crazy Crumby Quilts have been working on. 


I was hooked-  line and sinker when I saw them.🎣 I just knew I wanted to make some "Zip " blocks of my own. 






Well with having so much Christmas fabric, I thought why not make a Christmas Zip quilt.  So I grabbed some of the fabrics and began cutting up a storm. Soon I had a few blocks completed and now I am on my way to having a Christmas quilt. 

"Zip" is a design by Lynn at Klein Meisje Quilts blog which she posted her January 21, 2017 post. 

Thank you so much ladies for the sweet inspiration. 

 I am sure you will be seeing more of the Christmas Zip blocks as I progress. 



In 2021 I shared my  Christmas Time Quilt Doodles and made this sweet  mini Christmas Time Quilt .


Last week Mr. Pinker and I enjoyed going to many yard sales along the US 127 route. Over the next few posts I will show you what I found. 

I scored on  primitives .I found the blue cubby for just $3.00. Do I know where I am going to put it? Nope, but it was too cute to leave behind. 

The books date from 1926- 1949 . They were just 50 cents. I have already been reading one  which is choked full of stories from Edgar Allen Poe, Washington Irving and Abraham Lincoln.  

I fell in love with the faux wooden scoop. 
Lots of candleholders. The grubby candles are pretty rough. I will change them out.  Couldn't resist the chalkboard chicken. 


That's my Thursday ramble.  I better start stitching if I want to get anything done before the grandbabes get here. Have a terrific day and 

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

Thank you for the sweet visit. 

Just remember the true spirit of Christmas lies in your heart. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my baby sister, Amy. Love and miss you, Amo .


 I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needleworkers to meet. 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Susan at Quilt Fabrication for  Midweek Makers Wednesday

Jennifer at Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday  Wait Loss- Wednesday

Denise at For the Love of Geese for Put Your Foot Down- Thursday

Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday- Thursday







32 comments:

  1. Merci Mélissa pour ces jolies dessins , je vais continuer à broder de jolies étiquettes cadeaux pour Noël

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are so very welcome, dear. I bet your gift tags look adorable and what a wonderful idea. Thank you so much for stitching these little doodles. Happy stitching.

      Delete
  2. The zip quilt is looking very nice, simple patterns make wonderful quilts. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Zip block is a fun pattern. Hopefully I can whittle down some of these holiday fabrics using this block as well .Have a great day and Happy Quilting. Thank you for the sweet Thursday visit.

      Delete
  3. How cool that you received bags of fabrics and threads! Your Zip quilt is looking fabulous. Go Melisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited, Robin. Hubby said I will not have to buy fabric for some time now . Lol I am sure I will find some excuse though. Hee! Hee! It was thoughtful of them to think of me when gifting the fabric. I will put it to good use. Happy Thursday. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Oh lucky ducky you are getting all that wonderful fabric. And then topped off your week with the thrifty finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised ,Vicki. These were large industrial bags of fabric too. What a wonderful gift. Thank you so much for the sweet Thursday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Oh, what a wonderful gift, Melisa! I can just imagine your excitement at receiving so much fabric and thread--like Christmas morning! Enjoy--I know you'll come up with some fabulous projects to make with them. Fun finds at the thrift shop, too--I especially like the little blue cupboard full of drawers. Hope you have a wonderful day trying to keep cool. I'm trying to keep warm--it is only 67 here this morning! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Carol and Happy Thursday. Oh I was over the moon when I received the fabric; it was all yardage too. I was like a kid in a candy shop as I went through the bags. Wow ,it is cool there- must be nice. It won't be long till Fall will be here that is for sure.  Have a wonderful day and Happy Stitching. 

      Delete
  6. Those bags full of fabrics was a true gift! I love your Zipper blocks in Christmas fabrics. I look forward to seeing Dian's RSC blocks each month. You found some nice treasures at the garage sale. Those candle holders are going to be fun decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think a quilter can ever have too much fabric- do you? Lol. I have been going through the bags for days and feel so fortunate to have been gifted so much. I love seeing what Diann and Cathy are up to as well. They are quite a pair of enablers. Lol. Which I always welcome a new project. Have a beautiful day, Jeanna and thank you for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  7. I have caught back up with you and your wonderful blog. I have spent a good portion of my morning googling and drooling over your posts. Thank you, thank you. You are truly a lucky girl to receive so much wonderful seasonal fabrics, I would be in heaven!!! Wordless Wednesday was wonderful, I love to see your countryside, it makes me a little homesick for the early years, lol. I can't wait to see all of your found treasures, they will be great additions to your hutch. Have a wonderful day, stay cool and enjoy the after school troops. Hugs from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, dear Mary and Happy Thursday. I am so grateful that you have spent a good part of the morning with me. That means so much to me. I was over the moon to be gifted the fabrics. Thankfully the previous owner was downsizing and just getting rid of her stash. I feel very blessed by her and my nephew who brought the bags to me. I hope that you are having a lovely day and it is not too hot in your neck of the woods. Have a beautiful day. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful gift you received and the start of your Zip quilt is adorable. You are just a speedy little stitcher. You get so much done. I know you and Mr Pinker had a great trip looking for your treasures. He’s a keeper for sure. Got all my Country Christmas ornies ready to stitch, can’t wait to see the next 4. Hope you have a great day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thursday, Patti. Oh I am so excited to already be putting those fabrics to use. I hope to make a very scrappy quilt with the Zip blocks. It should be a quick one to work on as well. I hope you enjoy the little Christmas doodles. Thank you for the sweet visit . Hugs.

      Delete
  9. All those lovely fabrics, and threads too! No wonder you are in quilters heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still floating high with excitement over all of the fabrics, Jenny. I feel quite blessed. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and thank you for the sweet visit . Hugs

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful thing for your nephew and his dad to do for you! WOW! I can just see you sitting in the middle of the floor taking each piece of fabric out, looking it over, and dreaming! Love the zip pattern - will have to check it out! And I'm saving the Christmas doodles - I'm thinking Christmas quilt! No, not this year - too many projects still! LOL! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised and over the moon with all of the quilting fabric. He brought in 2 more bags a few days later. I see many years of quilting fun with all of the fabrics they gifted me. I am so honored you are saving the Christmas Doodles. I think a Christmas quilt would be darling. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Lots of goodies from the garage sales! Those Country Christmas Doodles are adorable! Love them. Wow you sure got a lot of fabric from your nephew. How fun to immediately start making it into something. Those zip blocks look fast.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/08/09/wednesday-wait-loss-340

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time yard saleing, Jennifer. I look forward to the US 127 sale each year. You neve know what you will find. I think the zip blocks will make fast use of some of the fabrics and will be loads of fun. Have a great weekend and thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  12. What a treasure trove of finds! Thanks for sharing in the Sew & Tell Party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a wonderful time traveling the US 127 yard sale all week. I found a lot of quilting goodies as well, but have not photographed them yet. Thank you for the sweet visit. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for the new set of doodles. Oh, what a great, simple quilt block! I really like the look of your zipper quilt! OMGoodness! What a haul! Where did all the fabric come from? Wherever, the guys really scored for you! I see some Christmas quilts in your future. Lucky you! Such great primitive finds in your wanderings. The drawers are so sweet and I love the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, dear Ginny. I am still flying high over the fabric that my nephew gave me. His stepmom's grandmother decided to give up quilting. 😮 and she told her granddaughter to give it away. I feel so blessed all of the fabric treasure came my way. I think I will be making Christmas quilts for years to come. Lol. We had a wonderful time at the yard sales. It is always fun to see the treasures and maybe find a few of our own. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Thanks so much for the new doodles, Melisa! I LOVE the zip quilt. I may have to incorporate that block into something sometime soon! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, Brenda. Thank you so much on my new doodles. They stitched up quite quickly  - now just to finish them into ornies. The Zip block is real fast and I think it will make good use of some of my Christmas fabrics. I hope you whip up some zip blocks soon. Have an awesome weekend. 

      Delete
  15. What a great fabric gift. Sweet Nephew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tickled pink that he thought about me. My nephew is a sweetie pie that is for sure. Thank you for the sweet visit, Susan.

      Delete
  16. Your page number 4 of the Country Christmas doodles is so cute! I see that I have a lot of work before me, I just love them all! What a thoughtful gift from your nephew and his dad, I'm sure it was a very sweet surprise to see all of that treasure!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, dear Diana. These little Christmas doodles were a delight and joy to create and share. I hope you enjoy them. I was surprised by the amount of fabric that was gifted to me. It was like Christmas for me. Have a blessed weekend. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Wordless Wednesday Camping in the Woods