Thursday, June 2, 2022

Summer Days - Thursday

Welcome, Sunshine. I failed to say Happy June to you yesterday. Are you ready for a spectacular month? I sure hope so. Bring on the sun, BBQs and the lazy days by the river!!! 


Yesterday I shared some of my recent photos to the Mennonite community. The quilt shop was closed, but I did enjoy browsing through the greenhouse. Memorial Day weekend was the last weekend it would be open I presume until fall . I purchased a number of  plants . They had a great deal - Buy one get one free! 

Well,  it is Embroidery Thursday. I am still working on my Summer Days Quilt. The last time  I shared, I had decided to set my embroidered blocks in red and blue Churn Dash blocks.

 Click here to visit the post and get the measurements if you are interested. 

 At this point the blocks were 12 1/2" unfinished. 

I was thinking about what to do with the blocks next, when I saw a photo of Missouri Star Quilt Company's Double Churn Dash . So I decided  to  double my churn dash blocks .

 I am alternating  the colors so the red churn dash blocks will have a blue outer Churn dash  and the blue will have red . Lol Does that make sense? I sure hope so. 


The final measurement of the blocks is 16 1/2" unfinished .  (16 " finished) . The half square triangles measure the same as the inner churn dash at 3" finished . Click here to see how I pieced 8 at one time using the Magic 8 method.  

To make the  "bars" of the outer churn dash , I cut 4 white strips ( 2"x 12 1/2" ) and 4 blue or red strips ( 2 " x 12 1/2" ) and then pieced them together. 

I am dreaming of another embroidered quilt , but right now it is just in the dream stage.

I was looking through a magazine yesterday  and found an interesting summer drink. I haven't tried it, but it does sound refreshing.  The ingredients are going on my shopping list. 

Watemelon Lemonade

INGREDIENTS: 

2  1/2 cups of  seedless watermelon cubed

2 scoops of lemonade powder mix

1 cup of ice. 

DIRECTIONS:

Blend together and enjoy! 


Thank you so much for the sweet Thursday visit. Have a very lovely day and as always...

Happy quilting and stitching, ya'll

Melisa

 If you have missed any of the previous blocks, check out the links below to go back to the previous posts for the jpgs. 

Previous blocks include:  Little Blue Birdie  ,Time to Plant  ,   A Bowl of Berries ,  A Basket of Blooms , Buzz Buzz  ,  Red , White, and Ewe , Summertime Treat  , Lemonade Sunflower Basket ,A Jar of Coneflowers  , Home Tweet Home  , Bowl of Tomatoes.


Summer means happy days and sunshine! 

Hugs and Stitches!!! ðŸ¤—❤🧵 

Dedicated to my sweet sister, Amy. I miss you more and more each day that passes. 

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needleworkers to meet. 

Pat at  Life in  the Scrapatch for Stitch , Sew and Show- Wednesday

Jennifer at Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday  Wait Loss- Wednesday

Denise at For the Love of Geese for Put Your Foot Down- Thursday

Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday- Thursday


Scissor Tail Designs " Rise and Shine " and My Betsy Ewe 



21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Happy June, Penny. Wishing you a blessed and joyous month, my friend.

      Delete
  2. I love what you're doing with your embroidered blocks - a great idea. You have a cross stitch piece above that looks like a Lizzie Kate - about summer. What is the name of it please?
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Donna. I am anxious to finish this Summer quilt and get it ready to put in the hoop soon. The cross stich is With Thy Needle and Threads June Word Play. I stitched it a few years ago , but did not use the called for colors since I was just getting back into cross stitching. There is a word play for each month.I love pulling them out each month. Happy June, my friend.

      Delete
  3. The double churn dash blocks look fabulous!!! Do we add any water to the watermelon lemonade? Seems like we should .... Happy June to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Susie. I am really happy with how it is looking. I can not wait to get it completed. The recipe that I found did not have water added to it , other than the ice. It sounds almost like a slush since it is blended. I can not wait to try it. Have a great weekend and happy June. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Your work is beautiful as always! The Watermelon Lemonade sounds delicious. I will be trying this one very soon. Thank you for the recipe and for sharing your wonderful creativity ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Pat. You are always so very kind. I have the ingredients on my shopping list. I love watermelon and can not wait to try it. I think the grandbabies will like it too. Have a great week. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  5. Lovely embroideries! This will be such a sweet quilt. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah thank you so much, Jennifer for the sweet visit and for hosting the link party. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy June.

      Delete
  6. Your embroideries look wonderful nestled inside the churn dash blocks, this is going to be a stunning quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Jenny. I can not tell you how excited I am on how it is coming together. I would love to start hand quilting it this year. Have a wonderful weekend . Happy quilting.

      Delete
  7. Love, love, love! I always adore your beautiful quilts and stitching. Wishing you a day full of blessings sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, my dear. I am over the moon with how it is working out. I think the blocks are making the embroidery pop which I love. Wishing you a joyous and blessed weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. I love the cross stitch in the first photo. It is gorgeous Melisa. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Christine. That is With Thy Needle and Thread 's June Word Play. I chose brighter floss colors and loved every minute of working on it. Have a fabulous weekend. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  9. Buy one get one free--what a deal!!! Love your double churn dash! And your cross-stitch words for June!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was , Nancy. I came home with a load of plants including herbs. The plants were so much cheaper than the nurseries or box stores . Aaah thank you so much on my quilt blocks. This is a fun project. Happy June.

      Delete
  10. So clever, I am new to (machine) embroidery and have been trying to think of ways to set the designs in a quilt. Thank you for the idea and sharing in Put your foot down. Hopefully I will be back to the normal Thursday Put your foot down soon. The watermelon lemonade sounds so good thank you, I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much for the sweet visit . I have had a great time working on this little quilt. I am still needing to find fabric for the borders. How fun that you are working on machine embroidery. I have never tried that before, but I admire all of the lovely designs that are available now. Have a wonderful week. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  11. I liked the churn dashes, and like the double ones even more! Great idea. I've been seeing watermelon combined with strawberry, with lemonade, and with other drink flavors in V8 Splash and Hawaiian Punch. This sounds good, if I don't drink too much. I found out last summer I could not eat 1/3 of a watermelon in one day and expect to have no reactions to that. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday