Tuesday, June 14, 2022

The Grand Old Flag and Another Patriotic Wordie Bowl Filler Freebie

Good morning, sweetie pies and Happy happy Flag Day. This is another one of my favorite holidays- just because it is a special day to honor  Old Glory. 

My oldest grandson painted the little birdhouse for me. I treasure it. 

 June 14, 1777 was the day that the US flag was adopted by the Second Continental Congress.  The Flag Resolution stated :"Resolved, That the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation." 

 It was not until 1916 that Woodrow Wilson issued a proclaimation making June 14th Flag Day and by 1949, Congress proclaimed the 14th National Flag Day.

 Well that is a bit of a history lesson today.  📖 Well not quite. I do love all of the nicknames for our nation's flag. 

Other names for the American Flag: 

Stars and Stripes

The Grand old Flag

Old Glory

Red , Whtie and Blue

The Star Spangled Banner

Stars and Bars

                     

In celebration of this special day, I am going to continue my progress on my flag blocks that I have been working on.

I know . I know . You have seen these about 50 billion times. I bet you are saying finish these already . Lol.  I am thinking the same thing. Oh boy, do I need more time to do all the things I want to do. 

 Any whooo! I thought I would share the measurements that I am using just in case you would like to work on some yourself . Of course, you can make your flags any size that you want. 

These are the measurements that I used to create my flag block. 



DK  BLUE-   CUT 1- 3 /12" x 4 1/2"

WHITE- CUT 1 -  1 1/2" x 5 1/2" 

               CUT 2 - 1 1/2" x 9 1/2"

RED-      CUT 2  1 1/2" x 5 1/2"

               CUT 2   1 1/2"  x 9 1/2" 

This is an easy peasy block to put together. 

One of the last gifties from my dear sister , Amy. 

A couple of weeks ago, dear Emma on Instagram suggested the word "Justice" for a Patriotic Wordie Bowl Filler. Great idea. Thank you , Emma. I will be stitching this little piece today to add to my bowl fillers. 

Click here for chart. 

Before you go , can I tell you another  interesting fact about this day? It is the US. Army's birthday.  Thank you again to all of the men and women who have served in our nation's military. You are our hereos. 

I am so grateful that you stopped by for a visit today. Have a wonderful and blessed day and as always...

Happy quilting and stitching, ya'll

Melisa
Our flag does not fly because the wind  moves it...It flies with the breath of each soldier who died protecting it.  

Hugs and Stitches!!! 🤗❤🧵 

Dedicated to my sweet baby sister Amy. I love and iss you, Amo. 

Love my country patriotic clutter.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the history lesson. I have stitched 3 of the words so far and will do this one. I would like to fill a bowl full. I have wondered about the measurements for the flag blocks so now I can make some. Have a blessed day and thank you for your generosity with your patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when we walked the kids to school, we sometimes met an older gentleman (who could have passed for Santa's brother) walking his two dogs - Liberty and Justice - he told us that Liberty and Justice insisted on leaving Furball (the cat) at home - ha ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Flag Day! Your flag quilt is gonna be so awesome. I always love seeing the flag blocks. Happy Birthday to all the Army men and women who serve to keep us safe each and every day. Love your Angel Sister Amy's gift to you. Buttons always seem to make needlework extra special. Wishing you a day full of many blessings dear friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flag quilt looks great Melisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Flag Day post of yours, Melisa! What a beautiful flag quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely love everythin about this post! Thank you and thanks to all who have served ! Have a wonderful blessed day. Love and hugs to you from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Chasing Butterflies