Blog Archive

Monday, March 21, 2022

Got Carrots?


 Good morning, dear friends. Welcome. 

                

As the days get warmer, my heart begins to sing. Do you have the same feeling? 

 I have been in the crafty mood. Over the weekend, I found the cutest carrots popping up on the internet, and I had to jump on the bandwagon. 

They are clothespin carrots. All you need is clothespins, hot glue, orange paint , paintbrush and twine , yarn or whatever you want to use for the carrot tops. If you google clothespin carrots, you will find different versions whether the crafter uses 1, 2 or 3 clothespins. I chose to use 3 for a chunkier carrot. 

 Let me show you what I did. I gathered 3 clothespins and   took off the metal holders .

 I then painted the clothespins . I used Apple Barrel Pumpkin paint from Walmart ; it was the only orange I had in the house. 

Then glue the segments together in pairs. 

Next glue 2 clothespins side by side and one on top.  

Other crafters used a variety of things for the greens, like twine, fabric, and floral sprigs. 

I had some yarn. I cut a green piece of yarn the length of my arm and wrapped it around 4 fingers to make loops. I then glued the yarn to the top of the carrot.

 I took another green yarn and wrapped around the top for a more finished look and added a twine bow. I think they turned out pretty darn cute if I say so myself.  

On a "carrot high" , I bunny hopped to the quilt nest in hopes of making a small carrot quilt.

 Eyeing some crumb fabrics that I had originally pieced for a snowman quilt, I decided to trim it and use for a background fabric.  Look at all those fabrics sewn willy nilly. 

I added a 2 1/2" border  and Wahlah , it was ready for applique. 

            

I drew a simple carrot shape and appliqued it in two shakes of a lamb's tale. 

            

Now all I have to do is some embroidery work which I hope to work on today. 

Since this is a carrot post, I thought I would leave you with a carrot recipe. 

CARROT CAKE COOKIES

YIELD : 2 1/2 dozen 

BAKE TIME: 25 minutes 

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

*1/2 cup granulated sugar

* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

* 1 large egg

* 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided

* 2 cups all purpose flour

* 1 teaspoon baking powder 

*1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots ( about 3 medium carrots)

* 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts

* 1  1/2 cup of powdered sugar

* 3 Tablespoons of milk  

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 375°F with rack positioned in upper third of oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add egg and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla; beat on medium until combined, about 30 seconds.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed until just combined after each addition, about 20 seconds (dough will be slightly crumbly). Fold in carrots and walnuts until combined.

Scoop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, placing cookies 2 inches apart. Bake cookies in batches in preheated oven until bottoms of cookies are golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool on baking sheet 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack, and let cool completely, about 20 minutes.

Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies, and serve.


  • 4. Post a Spring cross stitch. 
  • 5. Get into some crafting/ quilting mischief. 
  • I think I can handle that list . Don't you? Lol. Have a blessed day, and I hope you get into a lot of crafting mischief yourself. 
I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.  
Beth at Love Laugh Quilt  for Monday Making
Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Lynette at What a Hoot!  for BOMs Away Monday
Linda at Texas Quilt Gal for To Do List Tuesday - Tuesday

20 comments:

  1. Your carrots are neat looking, Melisa. Happy Spring! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Robin. I had a ball making them. I thought they would look cute sprinkled in the tiered tray or maybe on a dish sitting on the counter. They were super easy as well. Have a beautiful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Between the bunny and the carrots you pulled me right in. I need to show a friend of mine the way you made the carrots. Her mom collects carrots. I’m not sure my friend really wants to give her more carrots but they are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thank you so much, Bonnie. You can't have too many carrots or bunnies for that matter. Lol. These carrots were super easy to make and a whole lot of fun. Thank you again for the kind words and for telling your friend about them. Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    Really cute and simple carrots to make...I like them. And the appliqued carrot is so cute. Thanks for sharing, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much ,Sherrie. I have been working on the appliqued carrot quilt today- adding a bit of embroidery. I hope to have it in the hoop in no time. And the clothespin carrots were so much fun. Thank you for stopping by for a sweet visit. Happy stitching and quilting.

      Delete
  4. You have such great carrot things going. I am going to have to make the carrot cookies; although I did just make chocolate chip for my spouse. Your Greeen stitchery looks great, too. I didn't even get me wall hanging on the door after all the trouble it took to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear. I have been all about carrots lately Lol. Yum Chocolate chips cookies sound so yummy! Well at least you have your quilt completed and ready to hang when you are ready. Have a wonderful week , my dear and happy quilting.

      Delete
  5. Your carrot ideas are so cute! I love appliqued carrot mini quilt especially. Such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Diann. I love hanging little seasonal quilts. I hope to finish this one soon. Have a great week and happy quilting.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the carrot idea with clothes pins, I have a whole basket of old (i mean old!!) pjins that I was going to throw away, I now have some carrots for the Sunday School easter basket for the tots and not so little tots, LOL. Have a wonderful day and hope to see you soon. Hugs from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol wouldn't they be a lot of fun to make with the kiddos. I thought about gathering the grandbabies up for a crafting day. None of the adults are into it at my homestead. Lol. The clothespin carrots were a lot of fun to make. Wishing you a very blessed and lovely week, dear Mary. Hugs and love.

      Delete
  7. Oh my who would have thought of that way to craft carrots. Nice recipe too. I just like mine straight out of the garden and into the pot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your carrots are darling! Love the little mini you made to go with. Looks like you had a fun day in the sewing room. I'm saving your delicious looking recipe - yum!
    Thanks for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrots galore! The clothespin carrots are new to me! Guess I need to spend MORE time surfing the web!!! Yikes! I am going to jot down the Carrot Cake Cookie recipe. My sweet tooth has been getting the best of me lately and these are at least a bit of vegetable!!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love carrot cake, and will bake this one for sure. Thanks for the receipe, Melisa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Le printemps est là, vive les beaux jours ! Il fait encore un peu frais chez nous au centre de la France mais le soleil brille et ça fait beaucoup de bien compte tenu de la triste actualité.
    Vos carottes sont très jolies et simples à réaliser. Je garde cette idée en tête car c'est parfait pour occuper les mains des enfants.
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your carrot themed post, Melisa! Will definitely be trying those cookies, too. I make cookies all the time for my husband to take up to his 93 year old mom in the nursing home twice a week. She will adore these--thank you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melisa,
    I love how you made these cute carrots!!! I need to make some for my Easter Kitchen!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday