Blog Archive

Saturday, August 24, 2024

A Root Tootin Finish

 Hello there Sweet Peeps! 

Happy Saturday to you!

Whatcha' got going on today?  Are you going to be a busy bee  buzzing from one project  to another?  Or...


Are you going to be enjoying some down time? 

This calf is enjoying a lazy summer day in the sun. 

Me? Well probably a little bit of both. 😃🧵

Earlier this month, Kathleen Tracy announced her summer QAL on her blog  A Sentimental Quilter

"Eeeh! I am all in! " I exclaimed to no one in particular. 

After reading all the information , I made my way to the quilt room . 

"These will do just perfectly, " I said as I pulled out  blue and white fabrics. 
Blue and White fabric chosen for the Square in a Square Star Quilt

"What dear? " asked Mr .Pinker "Who are you talking to? "

"Kathleen's having a quilt along so I have to get ready, " I said to Mr. Pinker with a twinkle in my eye. 

"I have no idea what you are talking about. " Mr. Pinker said with a sigh. 

"Oh well , Hee! Hee!" 

Off I went   .

 Soon little white and blue squares were cut. 
Squares cut. 

With a whish of my rotary cutter - next came triangles. "Yee Haw! I am on a roll!" I yelled. 

Adding wee triangles. 

"Are you ok? " asked Mr . Pinker as he craned his head into the quilt room. 

"I am fine and dandy!  I am fixing to make a Square in a Square. " 

"Ooooook " said Mr. Pinker as he rolled his eyes. 

In two shakes of a lamb's tail , my sewing machine was humming away , and I had nine blocks all pieced up.  I gave myself a little pat on the back .

Square in Square blocks pieced. 

"I am having a root tootin day!" I chimed as I ran out of the quilt room to show Mr. Pinker my blocks. 

"Aaah those are pretty , " he said as his eyes glazed over. 

Hmmm clearly he was not excited as I was.  Hmmph what's wrong with him? Hee! Hee! 😁😂😜

"I will have to wait until next week to find out what to do with them." I told Mr. Pinker as he flipped through his fishing magazine. 

"That's nice , " he said. 

Days passed and soon , Kathleen posted the 2nd set of instructions. 

"Today is the day," I said to Mr. Pinker with a big smile on my face.
 
"What ? What is going on? Have I missed something? "Mr. Pinker said with a worrisome look . I could see his mind working trying to remember if he missed an important date. 

"No silly, I am going to be piecing my little quilt today." 

"Wheew that's relief, " he replied.
 
In a blink of an eye, the Square in Square Star was pieced.
 

Hmmm now for the border , I thought. Kathleen said we could do what we wanted on the border. So I pulled out a pretty blue fabric  and cut out 2   2 1/2" strips.  Soon the borders were added. 

"Hip Hip Hooray! I finished my mini quilt ! " I yelled as I skipped to the living room where hubby was relaxing. 

"Looks good, " said Mr. Pinker "Let's celebrate! How about we go out for supper!" 

This is a good day a finish and going out to eat! Eeeh! 
Mmm. Tex Mex Chicken- a favorite. 
 
Well that's my tale and I am sticking to it! Hee! Hee! 


 As of a few days ago, Kathleen's Square in a Square Star instructions  were still available as  a freebie on her website Country Lane Quilts.

Now as far as my plans today. Well I think this  little baby will be going into the hoop. 



I wish you a root tootin' day !  Go do something that you love! Thank you for dropping by, Sweeties. 

As always...

Happy quilting and stitching, y'all

Melisa

"Today is a great day to smile and be happy!"

Hugs and Stitches !!!🤗❤🧵




20 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, I love that mini quilt. It looks awesome. Wonderful work.
    Well, what am I doing today? Nothing! I have my daughter's little doggy with me, so playing, strolling, cuddling is my work for today. May be, when I have time, a little stitching.
    Have a happy weekend,
    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum for the sweet little quilt and the food. I grew up in south Texas so we Arroz con Pollo (rice and chicken) at lease once a week. Huge favor for all of us be especially me.
    By the way do you know that I have not turned on my sewing machine in over a year. Big Sigh!!! Have a fabulous Rootin' Tootin' Saturday! DarleneJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see your sunny post here today! We have rain for the day, so cold and gloomy! I love this little quilt and your story about making it. Poor Mr P, have to say my hubbie has to put up with similar conversations from me too. 😁 I’m going to hot foot it over to Kathleen’s and take a look. Thanks for the link. 🤗 Barbara xx @flashinscissors. Have a super day Melisa 😘xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melisa, I want to tell you when I see a post from you in the mornings, I know it’s gonna be an awesome day. You always bring a smile to my heart. I love your storytelling as it always makes me happy. Thanks for sharing your life, food, cross stitch and quilts with us. You are just a joy and I’m so glad I found your blog years ago. Have a great stitchy day. My friend ❤️🤗

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely mini quilt you've finished, Melisa;)) I pretty much get that same reaction from my DH, too. Whereas, I get so excited and intent to get going!! The most usual question is "What're you going to make with those???" I don't usually have the answer either ;))))))
    Hugs for a great weekend Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty little block Melisa! I enjoyed your convos with Mr. Pinker - lol! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet calf picture! Your square in a square is so pretty, Melisa. Your meal out looks yummy. I'm heading out to Middletown for lunch and stitching with the Winchester gals today. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading your stories of your day! Your house sounds like a fun one... and what a hoot Mr. Pinker is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't that pretty, Melisa?! I didn't even see the star at first. I love it all in blue and white, too. I'm going to have to go check that little pattern out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty. Blue and white always give such a crisp and cool vibe. I laughed about your husband's commentary. It's very similar to what I get here. I'll be excited about finishing a quilt top and say so. He'll ask which one and I'll try to describe it and he just goes blank and then says "Well, that's nice.". Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty, Melisa!! Love the blue pin dot and white together and the blue border!! Have fun quilting it. Have a great weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blue and white anything is always my favorite so you know I love your sweet mini-quilt, Melisa! Had to laugh when you mentioned your husband's eyes glazing over ;) Yep--I see that around here a fair bit, too. Have a great weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely block. Blue and white is so classically pretty. The coordinating border fabric finished it perfectly. Thank you for the link. Your block goes beautifully with your blue dishes. I bet that little one is so toasty warm napping in the sunshine. I've been fairly busy today. Picked veggies from the garden, froze 8 pkgs. of diced tomatoes, weeded a little, came in and mopped the kitchen floor. Ugh! As a reward to myself, I am sewing on gr'son #2's dinosaur quilt. The pattern is very simple because I wanted the images on the fabric to be easily seen. The weather has cooled down a lot in the last week. It's been so pleasant. We even had rain yesterday. How about you? Is it cooler there? Your dinner looks so delicious. The kids are cooking tonight and I am starting to smell something. I think I'm hungry. LOL Have a nice evening, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Arent you the clever one, you finished that mini quick smart. And went out to dinner too that's always a treat. We are currently enjoying our short South Island trip to see my son. The birthday celebrations are now over, and we have a week to slowly travel back up to the ferry terminal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That little quilt is so cute. Alas, no room in the RV to hang it - but, I did join her FB page and her blog. Starting to work on my son's wedding quilt. Nothing fancy but something for them to cuddle under on those chilly nights - even though those are few and far between in FL! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gotta love blue and white together, so cute! Just got home from our little get away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is such a cute little quilt, Melisa. I love how you tell the story...so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you had a rootin tootin day. LOL I spent the weekend decluttering small areas of my house as it was too hot to be outside. I stitched and finished a Halloween Ornament for an exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this mini quilt...It so lovely!!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

A Delightful Finish