Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Welcome to the Hen House - Summer Hutch Tour

 Cock- a Doodle Doo!!! Good Tuesday morning, sweet Chicks ! Welcome!!! 

It wasn't a  week ago that I shared my  country clutter, but here I go again.  More clutter to share.  It's time for another summer  hutch tour    .  This time the little hutch is all a flutter with feathered friends and a few heifers to boot. 

So grab you a cup of tea or coffee and come on in and join me for a tour of the Hen House Hutch


I kept the red gingham buffalo checked shelf runners , but changed out my plates. I wanted to use some of my blues so I pulled out my blue enamelware plates  to use as a backdrop. I find these all the time at the thrift stores, and I pick them up if they are a dollar or less. 

🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔

We will start the tour on the top shelf. 

Why look! There is ole' Daisy, the dehorned holstein cow, sitting front and center. . She is a ceramic bank that I bought years ago at Big Lots. Over the years, she lost a horn, but she is a good sport . Daisy is always ready to join in any country clutter fun. 


An old blue cookie jar sits in the corner.  I turned the lid upside down so I could place one of my wool applique pillows. It is called Chicken Scratch. I made it about 9 years ago, and I still love it. 
Lots of little treasures from my stitchy friends  are displayed too- like my metal milk can from Sue and the John Deere tractor from Gwen, and of course I always have the mini glass milk advertisement bottle from my sis. 

Summer Pasture  is one of the three stitches that I created based on my Nanny and PaPa's farm. I shared it in 2021.  It has a country garden, calves and a pond of ducks. Such sweet memories. 


Hanging just off the side of the top shelf is a little chicken stitch that I always get the sweetest compliments on. I stitched it years ago . It was a freebie that I found on Pinterest , but I am not sure who the designer is. If you know, I would love to give them credit for such a darling hen. If you are interested in it , you can find it on my Pinterest page. I think in my Chicken Stitching board. 

In the opposite corner is "Hen Party" by Little House Needleworks. It is another one of my favorite farm stitches that I enjoy bringing out each summer. 

 Sitting in the vintage jello mold is a vintage chicken salt shaker that I found in NC last year.   

I kept my wire basket of eggs hanging off the side of the hutch. I am still loving it. 


Below the wire basket is Heart in Hand Designs piece called "Summer Whirligig" which was finished in 2019. 

🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔

Let's strut on down to the 2nd shelf shall we. 


Center stage on the 2nd shelf is Summer Farmhouse. It depicts my Nanny's white house with dad's red truck in the front drive and the old clothesline in the backyard with a quilt on it. Every evening we would sit on the porch and watch the cars drive by and come dusk we would catch fireflies- more sweet summertime childhood memories

Lori Holt's tractor stitch is by the blue splatterware ceramic milk jug. Gotta love a red tractor.  For as long as I can remember, dad has always had a red tractor. 


In the corner is a blue pitcher of flowers. . Lots of little salt and pepper shakers  are scattered about including the little red hen in the vintage mason jar lid  which I found in the creek. 


I tucked Bent Creek's  "Chicken Flatbed "in the milk jug. 

 Lazing about in the blue splatterware bowl is another heifer. She just had to join the hen party. 


🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔
There is still more country clutter packed on the bottom shelf, and you may find a hen or two clucking about. 



One of my favorite summer quilts is this teeny chicken quilt that I embroidered a couple of years ago. 



I kept the large rooster in the corner on the hutch and moved the vintage juicer. In front of it is Summer Chicks a freebie that I shared awhile back.  


Now I ask you. Who can resist a stack of chickens? Lol Not me that is for sure.  


I am in love with this chippy blue frame that I thrifted a few years ago. In it is  my "Hen House "which I stitched in 2020, but only finished it last year. It is placed willy nilly in the frame. It may be a future Farmhouse Friday freebie soon . 

In the small blue bowl is Lizzie Kate's "Farm Sampler - Flora McSample" . I  believe it is still available  for purchase at 123 Stitch. It is  downright farm cuteness!!! 

Finished in the Dollar Tree tray is the 3rd of the Summer on the Farm stitches. Guess what is called? Lol  Summer on the Farm 😀  I hope to create a Fall on the Farm series soon which would be based on Nanny's farm.  I have already shared the Spring on the Farm series. 

The little red truck is a Walmart Christmas ornament.  I always have something Christmas out somewhere in the house. 

The vintage scales has layers of bowls and doiles on top as well as a painted watermelon slice. 


When a tree is cut down, I always grab any wedges of wood that resemble a watermelon. They are quick, cheap, easy crafts to create. 


Well ya'll that's all she wrote!  

Wheww! I bet you can see why Mr. Pinker thinks I am a bit chicken crazy! In my defense I say " Cluck Cluck!" 🐔🐔🐔😁


.  Ya'll have seen so much of this clutter and the stitches in previous posts, but I always enjoy changing it up a bit.  I can not tell you how much it means to me that you take the time to drop by to visit me.  Ya'll are the sweetest and I feel so blessed. 

Have a beautiful day and ...


As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

Life is better with chickens!

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy who was a crazy chicken lover too. . Love and miss you. 

       🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔

Previous Summer Hutch Tours are below. If you are interested , please pop in to see all of that clutter too. 😀


2021 Summer Farm Hutch was a Down on the Farm / Cow themed hutch. 
2021 Summer Hutch 





36 comments:

  1. Hi Melisa! I really enjoyed your tour. You’ve stitched so much and have such amazing treasures. Thank you for sharing with us! I’ve been looking back at other tours - so much to see - and I was just wondering if you had shared a pattern for that cute little chicken quilt? I do love your tiny quilts so much, and if there is a pattern it might be something I could actually finish 😂🤣 I keep seeing things I’ve missed - your blog is such fun, thank you again. 🤗🤎🧡🐝💙💚🩵💜🩷 Barbara, she of The Flashing Scissors 😘xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, dear Barbara. Thank you so much for dropping by for a Tuesday visit and for the kind words on my plumb filled to the brim hutch. Lol. I have been going back through my blog looking to see if I shared the little chicken quilt. I remember that I wanted to share it but now to figure out if I did. Lol. If I can not find it then I will post it. Hugs.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Melisa, that’s so sweet of you. I’m still looking too. 😂 You are so kind. ☺️ I’ve just found some white cotton that would be just right for this project, just off to measure and see how much I have. Thank you sweet lady. 👍🙋‍♀️💕💕💕 Barbara xx

      Delete
  2. Love Chicken Scratch! There are similar chickens, like the one in the mitten is close to the one in the pail, but I don't think I've seen these, and you know I just this spring went through every one of your posts. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much , Susan for letting me know. I have shared so many chicken pieces, I didn't know if I had shared them or not. I will put them on my list to draw out and share. Big hugs.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your latest hutch tour, as usual so many pretties to look at. Can’t wait to add your Hen House chart to the old pinker pouch. Your watermelon wedge is pretty dang clever. You have a great day my friend. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thank you so much, Patti. I had a lot of fun putting it all together especially since I got to use a lot of the blues in the background. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  4. I do love your tours - thank you for sharing. I'll bet your hutch storage is full! :-D I'm keeping any and all of your chicken/hen/farmhouse patterns for my girls as each of them are wanting to start raising them. Thank you so much for your generosity! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that means so much to me ,Donna. You are right about the storage being full. Lol. The bottom is crammed full of plates and cups and I have baskets of chickens in storage that I pick and choose from. Lol. It is so fun to hear that your girls enjoy chickens as well. I hope ya'll enjoy the little chicken charts. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed the summer hutch tour, Melisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are so kind, Robin; thank you so much. . I enjoyed changing things out a bit for a few weeks.It is always fun to rotate the stitching around too. I hope you are having a lovely day. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  6. All your hutch tours make me want to just sit and stitch! I’m a city girl but have always loved chickens. I’m going to have to do a chicken stitch soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you the sweetest, Judy; thank you so much. Chickens are so endearing- aren't they? I hope you have time to sit and stitch here soon. Have a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. What a sweet tour! Thank you! I wanted a red tractor. . .but, my dad purchased green ones. . .we had a couple grey ones too. Of course I wasn't in school yet when I was wishing for the red tractor!---TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much for the sweet visit, Terry. Don't you just love tractors? Dad always had a red one and has added a John Deere over the years. I have fond memories riding on the tractor. Lol. Have an awesome day. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Everything has been beautiful with those blue details and so many house and animal motifs here and there!!
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Isabel. It was so much fun pulling out my blue plates and pottery to use. It is like bringing out old friends. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  9. I love all of your Hutch Tours, it is so hard to just pick one! Each and everyone is unique and wonderful, it always takes me at least 2 cups of coffee or today 2 glasses of iced tea, lol. Thank you so much for taking the time and inviting us in to take a peek... Enjoy your week and have fun with the grands and family. Sending you warm hugs from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah Mary , thank you from the bottom of my heart. It means so much that you enjoy my little hutch tour especially since it is crammed full. Thank you for the sweet morning visit . Have a beautiful day and stay cool!! I am sure it is hot in your neck of the woods. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  10. Your hutch tours are just TOO much fun! Thanks for sharing your love of all things country. That little milk bottle was used to hold real cream for your coffee at restaurants in Wisconsin when I was a kid. Dad always asked for two! Headed back to take another look at both of the latest tours...house cleaning can wait! Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Kris for dropping by to visit and for the kind words about my hutch. Oh wow, I did not know that about the little milk bottle ; I so appreciate the information; I have never seen one like that. I am not sure where my sis got it, but she was always finding unique treasures and sending them way. Have a beautiful day ! Hugs .

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed the hutch display Melisa!! Really cute!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so kind, Diana. Thank you so much for the sweet visit and kind compliment. I had a great time changing it out and look forward to enjoying the new display for a few weeks. Hope you are having a very lovely day. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. I love, love, love your hutch tours, Melisa! I kept scrolling up and down more times than I can count because I didn't want to miss anything! So much inspiration, dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , Darlene. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I had a fabulous time changing things out; it has been awhile since I had used my blue pieces so I hope to enjoy them for awhile. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  13. Chickens and cows, what's not to love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I agree , Jenny- two of my favorite farm animals! I just wish I still had real chickens of my own ; I certainly miss them. Thank you for the sweet afternoon visit. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  14. LOVE!! I love chickens and so glad you threw in that cow too! I have a few of both scattered about my kitchen!! Oh, and the watermelon slice is wonderful. You did a great job painting it! Thanks for this lovely tour. I look forward to that Hen House sampler if you decide to share with us!! Have a blessed day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much, Brenda. I have been collecting chickens and cows for ages so it was fun to pull them out for the summer and gotta have a slice of watermelon. Lol. I hope to share the Hen House  very soon. Have a wonderful day. Hugs. 

      Delete
  15. Great summer hutch tour! The Henhouse stitch is adorable! So creative with the painted wood/watermelons. Love that one horned cow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Ginny. I am looking forward to sharing the Hen House. It took me long enough the finally finish it. Lol. That cow is the cutest isn't it? I hate that I broke it , but I still love it. I have the chicken bank to match. Happy Wednesday. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Your hutch displays are the best, Melisa! Thank you for the wonderful tour today! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are too kind, Carol. Thank you so much. It was fun switching things out for the summer. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. Oh Melisa! There is so much inspiration in this post. I spy some Currier & Ives plates in your hutch as well. I have tons of those pieces and never thought to use them as a backdrop for decor. I absolutely will do that soon and be sure to tag you when I post it. Hope you are having a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Jeanna. Lol my plates were not the right season , but I sure like having the blue color in the background. I am so touched that my humble hutch inspired you to use your plates. I can not wait to see them. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. Your posts give me so much inspiration and ideas on how to reuse vintage items. I look forward to every post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

What To Do Tuesday