Monday, May 30, 2022

Happy Memorial Day & Patriotic Bowl Filler Freebies

Good morning, my sweet friends and Happy Memorial Day. 

What a beautiful day it is!  

Please remember all of the brave men and women who have served in the armed forces and  made the ulitimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we have in this great country. 

The National Moment of Rememberance takes place at 3:00 local time and that is when one is asked to pause for 1 minute to  remember those who have fallen during their service. 

 I was reflecting the other night about all of my family members that have participated in the armed forces dating back all the way back to the American Revolution.  The last family member that our family lost  in a war was a distant cousin who was killed in the Vietnam War. He was really just a child of 19 years of age when he entered the war and only lasted  a few short months in Vietnam. How brave he was. 

 All of my great uncles served in the Army or Navy during WWII. This is Uncle Buford who lost his life during this time.  ( You may remember I have some rabbit stitches named after him. I love naming my pieces after family members. )  

My great uncle who died while in service in 1943 .

Distant Cousin A. N. was a crewman aboard the U.S.S. Indianapolisis when it was torpedoed on July 30, 1945.

Three of my great great great grandfather lost their lives during the Civil War.  I am sure that many of you have similar stories even if it is way down the family tree. 

 I also want to thank all of those who have served or who are currently serving in the military.  You are my heroes!!! 

What do you have planned for the day? A cookout or fun in the sun? Or just a nice quiet day relaxing at home?  We will be enjoying our usual family cookout and then a pool party. The kiddos are quite excited that school is out so they will particularly enjoy the day. 

Later in the evening, I hope to work on a few more flag blocks.


 I will also finish up this new cross stitch that I am working on. 


I have a couple of more Patriotic Wordie Bowl Fillers to work on too. These are simple super quick stitches.  I had these completed in two shakes of a lamb's tale. I bet you could too. 


If you are interested in stitching these quickies using scraps of fabric, please check out the jpgs below. I am so sorry that the images seem dark ( Fingers crossed my scanner is not going on the brink too. Yikes) 

Click here for Land of the Free jpg.



Click here for Home of the Brave jpg. 


I think I will be using DMC 823, 815, blanc and 930 for my stitches. 

Other Patriotic quickie bowl fillers that I have shared have been Freedom A Patriotic Wordie Bowl Filler
Freedom paired with one of Blackbird Design's Emily Strawberry. 

America ( photo coming soon) , Old Glory  , and Liberty


Since it is the beginning of the week, it is time to make those goal lists. Have you written yours out yet?  I hope you do not mind if I share my  list. 

Did I Get er' Done?   Well.... Last week's goals were: 

1. Work on my Summer Days quilt blocks. 

✅ 2. Continue working on Oh, Say Can You Sew Quilt Along. 

✅ 3. Truckin' Along Tuesday- New start. 

✅ 4. Work on a new Bee cross stitch. 

✅ 5. Work on Butterfly quilt

 Woo Hoo! I got er' done. I am doing the happy dance! ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ Ok I have to admit it. This was my list from 2 weeks ago. I didn't post last week, but I still got er' done!!!

What's the Plans for the Week?  Well....

๐ŸŒž 1. Begin putting boxes back into the attic. Yikes!!!

๐ŸŒž 2. Continue working on Oh, Say Can You Sew Quilt Along. 15 more hour glass blocks to go. Then trimming is in my future.

๐ŸŒž 3. Work on Truckin' Along Tuesday cross stitch. 

๐ŸŒž 4. Begin a new Patriotic bowl filler cross stitch. 

๐ŸŒž 5. Work on Butterfly quilt 

๐ŸŒž 6. Quilt on Easter quilt

๐ŸŒž 7. Make more flag blocks. 

๐ŸŒž 8. Continue working on Summer Days blocks


That is my Monday Ramblings.  I hope your week is filled with many blessings and great joy. As always...

Happy quilting and stitching, ya'll

Melisa
The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must bear the deepest wounds and scares of the war. - Douglas MacArthur

Hugs and Stitches!!! ๐Ÿค—❤๐Ÿงต


Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. Love and miss you.  Our cookout is not the same without you! 
Dedicated to my sweet daughter who serves in the military herself. You are my hero!!!

 I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.  

   Beth at Love Laugh Quilt  for Monday Making
Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Linda at Texas Quilt Gal for To Do List Tuesday - Tuesday

17 comments:

  1. Good morning... you're going to be a busy bee this week!
    Thank you for the Patriotic patterns. I really need to get some done!
    Please tell your daughter thank you for her service. Dh and I served in the Navy...dh retired while I was in for 4 years. We also had family serving way back.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ,Donna thank you and your husband so much for your service. I think it takes a special person to make that commitment. I sure hope I can all of the things I want to do completed this week. Fingers crossed .Lol. Have a fabulous week, my friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I hope you get the attic restocked lol. Your ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ Stitcheries are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Penny. Mr. Pinker mentioned it to the kiddos today, but we did not tempt it. They asked if there was a reduction of items. Lol. Fingers crossed I will get it done. Have a great week. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Your flag blocks are so pretty, Melisa. Thank you for creating and sharing your latest Wordie designs. Have a peaceful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Robin. I really would like to get a few more block completed this week and then decide where to go from there with it. I hope you enjoy the little designs. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Melissa, for the freebies. Love the stories of your ancestors. We enjoyed our small town's Memorial Day commemoration and parade yesterday. It was nice that they laid a wreath in remembrance. The event was put on by our local VFW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so wonderful , Susie. I wish our community did things like that. They do have a Veterans Day parade each year . A few flags were placed at the cemetery but they were done by family members. I hope to place flags on my family's graves this next Memorial Day. Sounds like you have a dedicated VFW. Have a great week, Susie. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Hola amiga Melisa que bonita y triste historia la de tu familia. y el que lo recuerdes te hace ser mas humana y orgullosa de formar parte de tu bella y valiente familia!!!! lamentablemente en estos tiempos solemos recordar el presente y disfrutar de la vida sin mas... sin pensar que para tener este disfrute de hoy le costaron la vida a millones de inocentes!!!! HONRREMOS SUMEMORIA NO UN SOLO DIA AL Aร‘O SINO HOY. MAร‘ANA Y SIEMPRE!!!
    Con amor de tu amiga cubana
    Dianet de Parchedeamor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Dianet. I try to tell my children all the time to remember our ancestors and learn from the experiences of the past. It is so sad that so many have had to give up their lives in protecting our freedoms, but I am so grateful for their courage and all that they accomplished. Sending hugs and love.

      Delete
  6. Your family has indeed served your country well. Love the floral fabric in your patriotic flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Kim. I am very proud of my family and for those who sacrificed their lives for us. It is very humbling to look at their photos and though I never met them they hold dear place in my heart. I am truly enjoying piecing the flags. Have a fabulous week. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. A very happy day to you and what a beautiful day for Memorial Day! Thank you for your family's service and for your daughter. My son is a retired Army Sgt Major and I am a proud mama. Have a wonderful busy week and thank you for the patriotic word fillers. Sending much love and many hugs from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a blessed and lovely Memorial Day, Mary and thank your son for his service; I definitely understand why you would be so very proud. Aah you are so welcome on the little stitches. I stitched them up last night in about an hour. I love quick stitches like that. Hugs , love and blessings, my friend.

      Delete
  8. That's quite the list for the week, we know you will have fun with the cross stitchin' for sure. I have a good start on your patriotic beehive one! I sure am enjoying stitching in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning Melisa! What a lovely Memorial Day post, and how wonderful that you know the history and honor your loved ones who served. I had an uncle who served in WW2 and my father-in-law served there as well. We can never thank them enough, can we?
    Love your flag blocks as well as the beautiful quilt at the end of your post. Sounds like you had a lovely day yesterday.
    Thank you for sharing at To Do Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed seeing all of your patriotic projects!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday