Sunday, May 1, 2022

Happy May Day

Good morning, sweet friends and Happy May Day to you!!!! 

As a young child, I remember making posies in school for May Day,  and I  have heard of dancing around the May pole though we never did that.   Being  a Curious George that I am, I decided to look up more about May Day.

 May Day's roots date back to ancient time in celebration of the changing of the seasons and the beginning of Summer.  Over the years, it has also became a day also  to celebrate worker's rights. If you are interested in learning more about May Day and some of the traditions  the Old Farmer's Almanac has a great article on it. . 

I am Bringing in May with a look at some of the blooms in my yard. 

                              

Pear Tree Blooms

Coreopsis in bloom. 



                  
The  cherry tree looks gorgeous in her pink  blossoms. 




One of my  most recent finishes is With Thy Needle and Thread's May Day Basket . A freebie from Brenda Gervais found in her April 26, 2009 blogpost.  I stitched mine in jeweled tone colors in honor of my Nanny whose birthday is May 2nd. Oh, how I miss my Nanny.  The best words to describe my Nanny - She was  rootin, tootin fun and very loving !!!!  


In celebration of May Day and in honor of my Nanny, I am working on a new start called A May Day Sampler which is a freebie by With Thy Needle and Thread in her May 1, 2010 post. 

For my Slow Stitching Sunday work- it is time to bind my Berry Basket quilt. 


 I will also put in a few more stitches in Blackbird Designs, Spring Blessings.


So tell me - how are you Bringing in May? Thank you for the sweet visit, my friends.   May your May Day be a great day.  As always...

Happy stitching and quilting, ya'll

Melisa 

May your days be bright and joyful. May good fortune shine upon you always.  May you keep smiling. 

 I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.  

      Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday
Kate at Life in Pieces for  Stitching Stuff ( Sunday) 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Beth at Love Laugh Quilt  for Monday Making

Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Linda at Texas Quilt Gal for To Do List Tuesday - Tuesday



Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. Love and miss, ya. 

8 comments:

  1. Love your basket quilt, and what gorgeous flowers you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your lovely flowers and trees with us. I so love seeing nature. Something about flowers that truly speaks to the soul. Thank you for the link. All your projects are looking lovely. Wishing you a happy Sunday sweet friend. ((hugs)) Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy May Day to you and yours!! It is a lovely sunny day with light breezes, perfect for Arizona. Love seeing your pretty blooms and the cherry tree is a giant ! Beautiful pictures. Sending love and hugs to you from Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first day of May was spent knitting in front of a cosy fire. =) No spring flowers here. Spring is looking glorious in your little corner of the woods; so pretty. Sweet Berry Basket quilt! Enjoy your stitching on this very first day of May.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today my kitty turns 9 years old. So besides petting our pretty Polly, I've been working on a little applique BOM. Happy May Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers in you yard are so pretty, and I love all your sewing projects, I hope you had a great May Day yesterday, mine was quite hectic but I did find some time to sew a spring garland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blooms around your yard are so pretty, Melisa. I started Freedom Quaker on May Day. Have a great start to this Merry month of May.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy May!! It is my birthday month so I am always excited when it rolls around. I get a double dose of celebrations as my bd is a week after Mother's Day.:) I love seeing all your flowers and your lovely sewing. I hope to complete Strawberry House today to add to my dough bowl. Then I will take a break before starting on the fall houses. I also have quite a few WIPs including Mice in the Sewing Room by B Gervais so I hope to get that done soon as well.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Chicks and Bunnies Easter Hutch Tour