Blog Archive

Friday, August 26, 2022

What's on the Quilt Keeper - Straight off the Truck

Good morning, ya'll and Happy Friday.  Come on in , and grab you a cup of tea. Today , I have a goodie to show you , a tale and a quilt  all in one post! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿงต๐Ÿ“š

Ya'll I have been moving quilts around and many of ya'll know that I just love to display them everywhere. I have them tucked in  in crocks, on shutters, on the wall , draped  from furniture and even hung on doors- just everywhere. 

Well my newest quilty  goodie is The Quilt Keeper .  

The Quilt Keeper was designed by  Ellen Taurins and fits nicely over the door . It is sturdy and is well made. It comes  with foam padding that you cut to adhere to the brackets so they can fit snuggley against the door and they do not scratch your door as well.  ( I love that!) . Now if you are like me and you  like to display your quilts or afghans on the doors. Please click on the colored text and hop over to visit   Ellen and check out The Quilt Keeper

Now as  as soon as I got mine , I ripped open the box and was ready to find the perfect quilt to put on display.   

Hmmm !Which one should it be I thought?   

As I was pondering , I walked through my kitchen  to get a snack when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew the perfect quilt that I wanted to display on it. 

But before I show you the quilt, let me tell you a story about it.  Oh, my what a tale this quilt has. 

A while back Mr. Pinker had brought in a truck load of furniture from his family.  

He called me ahead of time and said, "Guess what ?" 

"What?", I asked unamused. ๐Ÿ˜

"Momma gave us Granny's old pie safe, " said Mr. Pinker

"EEeeeh ! " I squealed in sheer delight.  An antique plus it is a display piece for more  country clutter.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜‚ I was jumping up and down  with excitement like a crazy woman who had won the grand prize in a pie eating contest. 

About an hour and a half later , Mr. Pinker drove up ,and the truck was loaded down. But by golly,  as soon as I saw the truck pulling in the driveway. I went into full crisis mode!!!!

"What in the world! " I exclaimed as I came running out the door  in sheer panic.๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ณ

What got my attention was an old quilt that had traveled right out in the elements for almost 90 miles wrapped  and tied around the old pie safe.  


Mr. Pinker had barely got parked when I jumped on the back of the truck like a bandit and began trying to untie the ropes to no avail.

 "Quick! Get me some scissors, STAT! We have a quilt that needs rescuing" .  

Mr. Pinker rolled his eyes and looked at me like I lost my mind as he opened the tailgate.  My nimble fingers pulled and tugged. Soon the ropes were released. I  quickly and gingerly  took the quilt in the house  for fluffing and evaluation. 


"Whewww!! All is well! , " I  yelled out the door. "The quilt made it through. "

Mr. Pinker  sighed and said , "Good to know!" ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿ˜

I then realized I forgot the pie safe. How could I do that?  Well in my defense there was a quilt in distress. Wouldn't you do the same?

Anywhoo....So I ran outside and saw the most glorious old pie safe.  I was over the moon. 

   

"Thank you , honey!  I love it !!!  But next time put the quilt in the front of the truck and wrap the furniture in something else. " 

"Yes, dear. " Mr. Pinker said with a smile.๐Ÿ’‘

So to make a long story short, that is what I decided to hang on The Quilt Keeper - the quilt that I named "Straight Off the Truck". 

I am not sure how old this quilt is , but it is an oldie. It is hand quilted in the Baptist Fan Pattern and is very heavy.  Do you know what the quilt block is called?  I would love to know. 

Now back to The Quilt Keeper. 

It is very easy to display or store your quilt on The Quilt Keeper. Just fold your quilt and drape it  over the removable bar.  

   

Hang it back on the hooks. 

And then you can sit back and enjoy your handy work or like me a quilt that you have rescued. 

Doesn't it look fabulous? 

Well I have rambled long enough. I look forward to sharing more "What's On the Quilt Keeper" stories. Thank you for dropping by for a Friday visit and 

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

Thank you for the sweet visit. 

A friend is like a quilt - designed by heart, pieced in time, sewn by hand, and bound to keep you covered. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงต❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. One year ago today . Oh , how I miss you, my thrifting buddy. Love ya, Amo. 

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needleworkers to meet. 

Angela of  So Scrappy  for Scrap Happy Saturday

Alycia's of Alycia's Quilts for Finished of Not Friday

Michelle  at From Bolt to Beauty for Beauty Pageant - Friday

Wendy at Wendy's Quilts for Peacock Party - Friday

Frederique at   Quilting Patchwork Applique for Patchwork & Quilts - Saturday

37 comments:

  1. I am so happy you rescued that fabulous old quilt. Oh my, I would have felt the same way about it being tied around the pie safe. You also scored well with the new piece of furniture; especially since it was from FAMILY. I went directly to the link of the quilt display and I hope to order one or more soon myself. Thanks for sharing all this information. Great blog post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was ecstatic to be able to rescue and a bit surprised hubby had used it as a wrap around the furniture. But all's well that ends well. Lol. Thank you for the sweet visit and hope your day is filled with joy. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  2. Oh what a fun story, Melisa. And that is a lovely quilt. I love those colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, dear Arlene. I was over the moon with both pieces. The quilt was definitely an unexpected surprise. I hope your weekend is a great one . Happy stitching.

      Delete
  3. Wow, two wonderful, beautiful new treasures, Melisa!! Thanks for sharing your new joy with us! Also sorry for your loss. I'm sure you have wonderful memories with your sister and your fun times together. I'm not sure what that block is called, but I can probably redraw it in EQ8 fairly easily, if you're interested in it. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Brenda for the sweet Friday visit. I was over the moon with all of the goodies that hubby brought in. Brenda, I can not tell you how much your kind words about my sister means to me. Time has passed slowly since she has gained her angel wings, but I feel her with me. Have a very lovely weekend and happy quilting.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful quilt and pie safe! What a cool idea with the quilt keeper! I wonder if you could just buy the bars and use some sort of chain to make several tiers. Happy Friday, Melisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Robin. I was over the moon with both. That is a great idea on the quilt keeper. I am going to change my quilts out seasonally and hope to store multiple smalls on it as well. Wouldn't a lot of mini quilts look cute tiered? Hmmm . Have a great weekend, dear Robin.

      Delete
  5. I would have done exactly what you did - save the quilt, save the quilt!!! Whew! The "new" pie safe is beautiful, Melisa. Ironically, I ordered a Quilt Keeper a couple of days ago and waiting anxiously for it to arrive! Yours looks fabulous with the rescued quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday, Darlene. Oh how fun! I know you will put it to great use with all of the beauties you create. Thank you so much for the sweet Friday visit. Happy quilting and stitching.

      Delete
  6. I'd probably had done the same :-) I know the bar is far thicker than a wire coat hanger, still I'd consider putting some pool noodle or some sort of padding over it. Especially since the quilt is heavy. A local shop has these hangers for ordering, but with our cheap (as in quality, not cost) thin hollow core doors, I think they'd warp with the weight of hanger and quilt on them over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to use them if you replace some of the hinge screws in the door jamb with extra long ones. A contractor told me about that when I complained of not being able to use over-the-door hangers on my cheap doors. It might be worth asking at Home Depot or your local hardware store.

      Delete
    2. Aah thank you so much, Gail. I was thrilled that hubby brought in the pie safe and over the moon with the unexpected quilt. Lol. I think I will be changing my quilts out seasonally . I thought it would look darling with small or wall hanging quilts on it. Have a great weekend, my dear.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad the quilt wasn't damaged, it's a wonderful old piece! I love the idea of the quilt keeper, and they are reasonably priced, thanks for sharing the link with us. I have 'pie safe' on my list of antiques to look for, unfortunately the few in my family are already spoken for (well - only unfortunately for me, since they are treasured by the family members who have them ). I'm fortunate that there are some good auction houses in central Texas, so one will come up eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit surprised when hubby came barrelling in with the pie safe covered in a quilt especially after such a long ride , but was thrilled . I am enjoying my quilt keeper - gives me one more place to hang a quilt. I hope you find a pie safe in the near future. My granny had one with the tin panels that I loved . Unfortunately it was damaged when someone broke into her home and storage sheds. I was able to save the tin panels in hopes hubby can make another some day. Have a great weekend, my dear.

      Delete
  8. What a great rescue that you made and the pie safe is magnificent!!! The quilt block reminds me of a civil war block but I can't quite figure out which one or what book I maybe able to find the name. I will contunue to look, it is a great block!! I will be going to that website for the over the door quilt hanger, I have several that would be happy hanging on the back of a door. Have a wonderful weekend, sending you many hugs from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday, dear Mary. I was over the moon with the pie safe and on top of that to receive the quilt even though it had a wild and wooly ride to its new home.Lol. It is an unusual block though. Have a wonderful weekend, my dear. Stay cool . Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  9. The Quilt Keeper looks very handy, and a beautiful quilt you've hung over it, too! I'll enjoy seeing how you use that pie safe. Your country clutter is always fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Diann. I do believe I am going to enjoy changing the quilts out each season on the Quilt Keeper. Oh and thank you so much on my country clutter. I know it is not for everybody, but it makes my heart sing. .Lol. Have a very lovely weekend.

      Delete
  10. What a great story! Of course the quilt needed to be rescued first, taken inside straight away and admired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thank you so much, Jenny. I am glad that you feel the same as I do. ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜„ It was definitely my priority once I saw it. Lol. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  11. Hi, Melissa! I love your quilt! The pattern is called All Kinds. It was first published in the Ladies Art Company catalog, probably in the 1890s. From the fabrics, I believe your quilt dates to that time period too. It's a beauty, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sylvia for the information on this block. I will be typing that out and putting it with the quilt . I had wondered if the quilt was from that time period. It is very heavy and is very well made. The photos do not do it justice. It was previously stored in a shed so I am so surprised there are not mice holes in it. Lol. Have a great weekend. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  12. Good choice to rescue the quilt first! Old quilts (really, any quilts) are definitely more fragile than furniture. What a beauty it is. I love it's simplicity and graphic quality. I'm interested to know the pattern name, too. Whenever I see a quilt like this I always try to figure out how it was made. My first impression was four quarters and the center sashing but a close look tells me that center square was not pieced. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Nancy. I could not believe that it traveled that far with no damage, but was so delighted it was not damaged. Sylvia from Treadlestitches blog told me the pattern was called "All Kinds" and may date back to the late 1800's . I too have sat and studied how it was made. I feel unfortunate that it came to live with me. Lol. Have a wonderful weekend and thank you again for the sweet Friday visit.

      Delete
  13. What a great story! So glad both the quilt and the pie safe got into the hands of someone that will use and cherish both. That pie safe is going to be so full of wonderful collectibles. You are so creative. The Quilt Keeper looks pretty neat. I wandered over to the website and will be thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Susie. I was quite surprised when hubby brought in the quilt too especially with how it rode. Lol. But all survived the journey. Oh yes, I will cram that pie safe full. Lol. Have a great rest of the week. Hugs. 

      Delete
  14. Wow so you got 2 great gifts! Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I was over the moon, Susan. The quilt was an unexpected surprise and will be treasured. Have a very lovely day and thank you for the sweet visit .

      Delete
  15. I don't know which is better - quilt or pie safe. Glad all is well. I did not know that quilt block name but had seen it before. Glad Sylvia knew what it was. As a young girl I remember seeing my grandmother's old quilts once in awhile under the men laying on the ground working on tractors. No wonder not many of her quilts survived! And thanks for mentioning the Quilt Keeper. What a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled beyond words when hubby brought in the quilt and of course the pie safe too. They both will be treasured that is for sure. Lol. it sounds like your grandma's quilt were well loved even if they were used when working on the tractors. Have a very lovely week.  Thank you for the sweet visit. 

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. oh thank you so much, Jacqueline . I was thrilled with both family treasures. I sure do wish I knew more about the quilt and where it came from. But it has found a forever home here. Have a great week.

      Delete
  17. What a lovely quilt, the pie safe is nice too! I hope you had many many happy memories of your sister today. She would have been happy for your new quilt too! I read through the comments to see if anyone knew the name of the quilt blocks. All kinds, what a great name, I've never heard of it. Take good measurements and sketch out the block. I'd certainly like to make one, quilting is my true love. I'd definitely join in a SAL for a small quilt. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can just see you running from the house and jumping in the truck!! What a great quilt!!!the fabrics in it... oh they are so beautiful!! !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thank you so much, Alycia. I think only a quilter would understand . I was quite surprised that hubby had wrapped the pie safe in the quilt , but so thrilled that it came to live with me and made the journey safely. Thank you so much for the sweet visit and for hosting the link party. Happy quilting.

      Delete
    2. Lol thank you so much, Alycia. I think only a quilter would understand . I was quite surprised that hubby had wrapped the pie safe in the quilt , but so thrilled that it came to live with me and made the journey safely. Thank you so much for the sweet visit and for hosting the link party. Happy quilting.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Chicks and Bunnies Easter Hutch Tour