Monday, March 11, 2024

A Tale and A Finish

Hello, Sunshine!!! Welcome! 


A few days ago I was hustling and bustling about in my quilt room trying to find the perfect finishing  fabric to finish Luck Basket. I went through one bin after another with no luck in finding a deep green piece of fabric.  As I was about to give up on this finish, I saw a blur of green whisk by the door. 

Slyly, I craned my neck out of the door and chimed, "Yoo Hoo, Honey Pie , can you come in the quilt room for a minute?  " 

Within seconds, Mr. Pinker entered the room.   By this time, my wheels were already turning. Just as I expected  he was wearing that old green shirt that was old as the hills and had seen better days.  How could I get that shirt?  Should I snatch it  off of him or just  clip some of the fabric as he walked by. Oh my, what a dilemma!   

 "Whatcha working on ? " asked Mr. Pinker as he scanned the room  .

 "Well we have a cross stitch that is in need of  immediate help", I said with a sense of urgency in my voice. " I am afraid it is going to bite the dust if I do not get your help. " 

"Bite the dust ? " Mr. Pinker asked as he looked at the cross stitch with confusion . 

"What can I do?" he asked.  

"Quick! Give me that shirt! It is the perfect shade of green ! "

Mr. Pinker , rolled his eyes and smiled as he looked at the old shirt . He fingered the small tear in the bottom of the shirt . He walked out and then came back sporting a new shirt and a big smile on his face.  

" Quick ! Now save that cross stitch!" he exclaimed as he tossed  the old green shirt to me!   

 "Oh thank you , dear! "  Eeeeh Mr. Pinker to the rescue!   

To make a long story short Luck Basket made it out of the quilt room all stitched up into a pin pillow sporting a ruffled trim and Mr. Pinker got rid of the old tattered shirt. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€πŸ’š

 Come evening time, Mr. Pinker reentered in the quilt room. "How's our patient? ", he asked. I  proudly showed him the little pillow. 

With a wink of his eye, he said "The shirt looks better on "Luck Basket. I will do anything for you and your  stitching endeavors !"  πŸ€—πŸ’š 


 Now onto other happenings. 

Mom and I have been seeing a new bird at our feeders. 
I have never seen a bird like this before . He is quite handsome. Do you know what kind of bird he is ?  


Speaking of birds. Spring Checklist is stitched and   is ready to go into the hoop.  If you missed Spring Checklist it was a freebie I shared earlier. 



  The finished embroidered block  measures 8 1/2" x  10 1/2" .  

I cut 2 strips of border fabric 2 1/2" x WOF and then coffee dyed the strips.

 I subcut the fabric to 2 - 2 1/2" x 10 1/2"  to sew on the sides and 2 - 2 1/2" x 12 1/2" for top and bottom of stitchery. 

Ready to sew on the borders. 

In no time flat  , this wee wallhanging was completed. Hopefully, by the end of the week it will be hanging on my wall. 

Do you see the  empty bird's nest in the burning bush? Perhaps a birdie will move into it soon. 


 Eeeh ! Did you hear?   Melva  at Melva Loves Scraps  Pieces of My Life SAL has begun. I was so excited when Melva announced that she was going to host another  Stitch Along. Over the past couple of years, I have enjoyed reading  Melva's family stories that have   accompanied each block that she chose for  each of her SAL quilts.    

The first block  is called The Bow block





 Now onto the plans for the week!

🌞 FFO Strawberry Shortcake Stamp

🌞 Quilt Spring Checklist

🌞 Finish quilting "Playtime " Quilt

🌞 Continue quilting Alabama Beauty. This is my 15 a minute a day project. I moved the hoop twice this past week.

🌞 Eeeh ! Pack for a camping trip. 

Well Sweeties, if I am off to see what the day allows.  Have a beautiful day and remember- YOU ARE AWESOME. Love ya! 😘

As Always...


Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa 

Feel free to do what makes your soul shine. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!πŸ€—πŸ§΅❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!
🌞Two Shakes of a Lamb's Tail- St. Patrick's Day Parade- 2024's parade of St. Patrick's Day freebies. 
🌞Parade of Homes- Early 2024 parade of home freebies.
🌞A Blooming Parade A Look at Spring and Easter Previous Freebies-   2024 Parade of Spring freebies
🌞Buzzin Bee Parade 2023-  An early 2023 bee freebie parade. 

🌞Messin and Gommin in the Kitchen -  2022 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ 

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet. 


Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Joy at Days Filled with Joy for This and That

Carol at Quilt Schmilt  for To Do List Tuesday 

45 comments:

  1. Oh my word, Woman you accomplish more in one day than I do ever! Lol So many cute things for all to enjoy!
    Mr Pinker saved the day!! Woohoo! Have a great day. DarleneJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL . Sometimes I am able to get a few things done,Darlene. Other days I feel like I am spinning my wheels. Hee! Hee! Mr. Pinker is a keeper. I am glad I was able to finish the piece plus got Mr. Pinker to get a new shirt. Have a super day. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Some lovely artworks, Melisa!
    Hahaha....I laughed at the anecdote about Mr. Pinker's shirt!
    Hugs from Spain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear Isabel. Hubby is a great sport and I will be able to use the rest of the shirt fabric in a quilt. Have a beautiful day . Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Morning Melisa, you gotta admit Mr Pinker is definitely a keeper. Loved your story about his shirt, you’re an awesome storyteller. You should write a book. Your Spring Checklist block is really cute. Hope you have a great day and get some fun stitching in. πŸ€—❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, dear Patti and Happy Monday. Oh yes, Mr. Pinker is a rare breed and I feel lucky to have him. He is so supportive with my quilting. Aaah how sweet, hubby often tells me that I should write children's books . I am so touched by your compliment. Thank you for starting my day off with a warm smile. Have a wonderful day. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. Good morning Melissa - I looked up the bird - possible an Eastern Towhee. Loved the story about Mr.Pinker - not sure my dh would ever "donate" a shirt to the cause ...LOL! Love the finish - it really does look great. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday, Donna. I have never seen a Towhee before. Mom has a number of them coming to her feeders and then the other day I saw one at mine. I was so delighted. Thank you so much for letting me know what kind of bird it was. When we go to the thrift stores, Mr. Pinker is great about looking for fabric and quilts for me. Lol. He is now even learning quilt block names. Hee ! Hee! Have a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. (Little Penpen) cute story! Yay for Mr Pinker! Love the finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Penny. I am thrilled to have a finish. Have a wonderful day . Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Melissa, I'm not certain but I think that bird may be and Orchard Oriole? And boy howdy your husband is certainly a keeper!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Maureen for letting me know.I have never seen these birds in our area before. We usually have lots of cardinals, wrens and doves at the feeder. It was a treat to see a new bird . Oh yes, Mr. Pinker is a keeper; he is very supportive. Have a beautiful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Love your story about your husband's shirt to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Pat. Thankfully , Mr. Pinker does not giving up his old clothes for the cause. Hee! Hee! Have a blessed day.

      Delete
  8. Luck Basket looks mighty pretty with Mr. Pinker's shirt. Way to go, Mr. Pinker! I think the bird is some kind of Towhee. Have a super week, Melisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy hubby was willing to donate to the finishing cause. Hee! Hee! Plus it was a way to "move on " the old shirt . I hope you are enjoying some sunshine, Robin. It is a beautiful warm day here. Thank you so much for the sweet visit and for letting me know about the birdie. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, dear. I am excited to see a new bird at the feeder. I hope it will stay around this area. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. There is no doubt about it -- Mr. Pinker is a keeper. And the green fabric is perfect for your little pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so fortunate that Mr. Pinker is always so supportive about my quilting and stitching. The little pin pillow was fun to finish. Thank you for the sweet visit, Bonnie. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Thank you, Mr. Pinker, for coming to the rescue! Hubby and I were at first thinking your bird was a Baltimore Oriole, but it could also be an Eastern Towhee. They look more similar (in my bird book) than I expected. I love that you're participating in Melva's QAL - me, too! I just need to sew all those half-square triangles together and I will have my block done, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fortunate Mr. Pinker is willing to lend to my quilting and stitching cause. Lol. I have never seen a bird like this. I sure hope it will stick around. I can not wait to see your block. It was a fun one to work on. Have a great day, Diann. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. That a super sweet tale, Melisa. Your Mr. Pinker is the best! Luck Basket is cute and so is Spring Checklist. We finally booked our first camping trip for next month...can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Jeanna. Mr. Pinker is so supportive. Oh how exciting ; I bet you are anxious to get out and about and enjoy nature. Have a wonderful day, Hugs.

      Delete
  13. What a great tale.... so glad Mr. Pinker was able to help in that cross-stitch dilemma. He is a keeper. Good luck with your goals this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Deb. I am glad that the stitch is finished and I can move on to the next project. Lol. Enjoy your week. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Oh my nothing like giving your wife the shirt off your back--and with a smile--Luck-Lucky you!!
    I love your bird, too--it's always fun to see a new bird in the neighborhood and try to find out what it is??? Have fun sewing--
    hugs, diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I am fortunate Mr. Pinker is so supportive. He enjoys seeing all the pretties that I create which is so heartwarming. Oh yes, I am over the moon to have a new birdie in the neighborhood. Have a great day. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. What an amazing wonderful husband you are lucky to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear. He is certainly a keeper and is so supportive. I feel very blessed. I wish you a very lovely day. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. My vote is for the towhee. I live in the west, not the east, but I have towhees here. They will feed on the ground. Love Mr. Pinker! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how interesting, Laura. I have never seen this bird before so I am excited to have a new bird in the area; I hope it stays. Have a beautiful day and thank you for the sweet visit and kind words. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. Thought at first it might be an oriole, but zoomed in and I think it's a towhee. We lived in Maryland for 10 years where the Baltimore Oriole is the state bird. I only saw 2 or 3 in that entire time. Their orange is extremely bright; much brighter than a towhee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to have this new addition to our feathery friends. He may have been here all along, but this is the 1st time I have seen him. Thank you for letting me know Honeybee. Hopefully I can get some more photos soon. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. I believe your cute birdie is a Rofous-Sided Towhee. we used to have them when we lived in Kentucky. so pretty... unfortunately, they are not fans of the heat of Arizona. πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear for the information on this beauty. He is a delightful little bird that I hope to see again. I am not familiar with this bird so I will have to look him up and learn more about him. I wish you a wonderful evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  19. Your pretty bird looks like a Rufous-sided Towhee, although in recent years, I believe they have been subdivided into Eastern Towhees and Spotted Towhees. In that case, I think your little guy is an Eastern Towhee. Sweet story about Mr. Pinker's shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Cheryl. I was hoping to see the fellow yesterday in order to get better photos of him but alas he did not come. Mom says she has 2 of them that come in the early mornings. It is a treat to see a new bird at the feeders. Have a blessed and beautiful day, dear. Hugs.

      Delete
  20. Awww, what a sweet story. Mr. Pinker is definitely a keeper, Melisa!! I have to fight Chicken Legs to get rid of his old shirts, but he's a good enabler otherwise...just like Mr. Pinker! Very cute finish. Thank Mr. Pinker for saving the day with the cross stitch! That's a cute little mini wall hanging too! Love it. I thought that bird was an Baltimore Oriole, but I believe it's an Eastern Towhee. Check this out. https://www.innonmillcreek.com/blog/2014/07/north-carolina-mountain-birds-eastern-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Brenda. I think we both have keepers! Hee! Hee! It is wonderful to have hubbies who are supportive and even enable isn't it?  Thank you so much for the link. I was asking mom about her birds today and she said hers comes in the morning . I was watching for mine yesterday but did not see the fellow. Lol. Have a super day. Hugs. 

      Delete
  21. Wow. He's a keeper..what a great thing for Mr. Pinker to give you the shirt off his back.. So Sweet. Such a cute little design. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol he is a keeper. I am so fortunate that he is so supportive on my sewing endeavors. Last night he was admiring one of the quilts I was working on. Perhaps soon he will see his shirt fabric in a quilt. Hee! Hee! Thank you for the sweet visit, Jennifer. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  22. The bird is likely an Eastern Towhee. So pretty! Tat-da-da-Dah! It's Mr. Pinker to the rescue! Avenger of all unfinished stitching and willing to sacrifice the shirt off his back for his lady love! The Luck Basket pillow is perfect! That is an interesting quilt block. I have more than I can manage going right now, so I'll just watch your lovely quilt progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to find out what this little birdie is. Thank you so much , Ginny. Hopefully, the little fellow will visit the feeder again today. I was so happy when Mr. Pinker came to the rescue! Sometimes it is hard for fellows to part with their old clothes. Well whom am I kidding it is hard for me too, Hee! Hee! Thank you for the sweet Tuesday visit, sweet friend. Have a sun shiny day. Hugs.

      Delete
  23. Awwww! Mr Pinker is sooooo sweet!!!! And so is the pincushion :) Thanks so much for joining in on Monday This and That and I hope you had a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

On a Mission!