Blog Archive

Thursday, September 15, 2022

Messin' and Gommin in the Kitchen

Welcome, yall.  Grab your apron and meet me in the kitchen. 

 A vintage apron with Pumpkin Picker

            

The big red pot is out, and it is a brewing up a storm.  

What is in it you ask? Oh boy, a large pot of steaming hot fabric. Yes! I am dyeing my 14 count aida- my favorite cloth to use in cross stitch.

  My goal is to create ooey gooey  dark grungy fabric just  like that which I used in  my Candy Corn House. Do you think I can do it? I sure hope so. 


 There are many fabulous tutorials out there about tea/coffee dyeing, but I will tell you how I do mine. Now I am no expert. You know me ; I fly by the seat of the pants . 

  Be forewarned 😀- this is a messy project so be ready to mess and gom around.   Now let's do this!!!!

INGREDIENTS : 

🧵cloth

🧵 water

🧵black coffee grounds, 

🧵tea bags, 

🧵cinnamon 

🧵sometimes I throw in a walnut for good luck 

DIRECTIONS: I do not have any set measurements for dyeing. I eye it. 👀Sometimes I load up on coffee for a very grungy dark fabric.   I place my fabric in the pot and add the tea bags, coffee, water and cinnamon. I have even been know to throw in a black walnut or two.  I bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer. Oh, Can you smell it? It smells so yummy!   

 I usually leave mine on low for a couple of hours. At night I cut off the heat and let it set until I am ready to dry it outside the next day.  Once it is dry , I am able to shake any loose coffee grounds out of the fabric. If it is not dark enough , I add it to the big red pot again and add more coffee.  Easy Peasy. 

 Sometimes I bake it  in a pyrex baking dish for about 20 minutes on about 180-190. I keep a close eye on it. I have been known to bake mine extra crispy, but I try to avoid it.  

The tea/ coffee dyeing is not permanent so if you do not like your fabric, wash it out, but if you do like it be careful- do not spill anything on your fabric because it will show.  I bet you can guess how I know. Lol.  

So are you ready to mess and gom? 😃

Eeeh! I really like it dark and grungy. It does look old which is right up my alley. 





After I  am finished messin and a gommin, I pour the coffee/ tea mixture into my compost pile-even the tea bags. All will be broken down in time,  and it will be great for the plants. 

This is one of my newest starts. Another pot is brewing, but you will have to wait and see what is conjured up in this cauldron. 
This fabric was also tea/ coffee dyed , but it is not too dark. 

I am so delighted that you joined me in the kitchen today. The next time I drag you into the kitchen, I promise we will sit down to a good home cooked meal, and I won't have you helping me cook fabric. 😀 But there may be dishes😳😜😂 Nah! Just kidding I will take care of those too.  
Have a very blessed day , my friends and thank you for stopping by for  a little  messy fun . As always... 

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa 

A creative mess is better than a tidy idleness. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my baby sister, Amy . I love and miss you Amo. 















17 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading how you coffee/tea dye your fabric, Melisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Robin. I am sure there are a lot of easier and not so messy ways, but I am happy with how it all turns out. Happy stitching.

      Delete
  2. I love your tutorial on dying fabric! Lol. Looking forward to what the cauldron is brewing!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dyed a bunch of fabric this time, Donna. So I hope that will keep me in stitches for awhile. I look forward to sharing the new stitch soon.Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Great grunge sort of effect on your died fabric! I will have to remember your directions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the grungy look of the fabric and it smells heavenly. Thank you for the sweet visit, Ginny.

      Delete
  4. I've been dying fabric for a few years but never thought of adding cinnamon. Thank you for the idea!! Love all your stitchery's and can't wait to see what's in the cauldron.Patty McDonald

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the cinnamon on a whim one time and have loved it ever since. I am not sure if it does much to the fabric, but I love the smell while it is brewing Have a beautiful week, dear Patty.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the directions on how you do your great fabrics, I will have to try adding cinnamon, my favorite spice. Sweet red cauldron. I am surprised at the time that you let it not only cook but overnight in the cauldron. Will give this a try soon. Have a wonderful weekend, sending many warm hugs from sunny Arizona.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you , Mary. I let the fabric stew for quite a long time. When I go to bed, I cut the heat off and let it soak overnight. I try to make it as dark as possible, but it is always a hit or a miss. I hope you give it a try soon. Big hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  6. I always wondered how that dying works. Thanks for sharing how you do yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the grungy and prim look of the tea/ coffee dye. I am a bit messy but I do have a lot of fun. Thank you for the sweet visit, Deb.

      Delete
  7. A most helpful tutorial, Melisa! I've never tried dyeing fabric of any kind. It's always made me a bit nervous. Great that the whole thing can go into the compost pile, too. Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Carol. I was very nervous the 1st time I dyed my fabric too. It is always a hit or a miss for me, but I do have fun. Happy stitching.

      Delete
  8. Oh thank you so much, I am a bit messy when dyeing but I do have fun. Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the dying info. I am wondering if you rinse the fabric after the color is obtained. Over the yrs wouldn't the ingredients break it down or be suseptible to mold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah you are so welcome. I have found that if you rinse it or spill water on it, it will change the color or lighten it. You can also redye it to make it darker. I am not sure about the mold. But that is a great question. I am going to have to research that more. I know that many quilters have often tea/ coffee dyed fabric in order to age it . And that some stitchers buy a walnut mixture to dye their cross stitch fabric . I am particular about where I display my stitching and quilts and always rotate and change them out. As I do this, I monitor any changes in the fabric as well. Thank you for the sweet visit. If I find out any more info . about the process , I will certainly post it.

      Delete

Popular Posts

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday