Blog Archive

Thursday, October 20, 2022

Happy Jack - A Halloween Doodle Freebie

Welcome ,my Pretties! Come in! Come in! And  join me in a day of Spooky fun. 
Joan at Moosestash Quilting has been brewing up so much fun in the  Gremlins, Goblins and Ghouls Blog Hop, and today is my day along with a number of other lovely ladies. 

 

 

Friday Oct 21

Pinker n' Punkin Quilting & Stitching

Just Because Quilts

BeaQuilter

Pieceful Thoughts

MooseStashQuilting


I hope that after the sweet visit , you will hop on over to their blog and enjoy their spooktacular projects. 


What do I have brewing in my cauldron? Well, I rummaged in the quilt nest and found some  lovely Halloween and country fabrics. Then it was time to work some magic. 


A little Happy Jack in a churn dash block was on my mind. 



From my white  scraps, I pieced a background fabric which measured 10 1/2" x 12 12".  

 
I then cut out pieces for my Churn Dash .

 These are the measurements that I used and some simple directions. I used a 1/4 " seam allowance. 

From the white fabrics
                      Cut 2 strips measuring 2 1/2" x 12 1/2"   
                       Cut 2 strips measuring 2 1/2" x 10 1/2"
From the Black fabric:
                    Cut 2 strips measuring 2 1/2" x 12 1/2"   
                     Cut 2 strips measuring 2 1/2" x 10 1/2"

Take a white and black  2 1/2" x 12 1/2" strip . Place right sides together ,sew down the length of the strips. Press . Repeat for 2nd strip. 
Do the same for the 2 1/2"  10 1/2" strips. 


From the White Fabric : Cut 2   squares measuring  4 7/8" squared. 
From a  2nd Black Fabric : Cut 2   squares measuring  4 7/8" squared. 


Place a white square and a black square right sides together.

 I used a Quick Quarter Ruler to draw the diagonal cutting line and the quarter inch sewing lines. Sew and cut . Repeat with remaining black and white squares. Press


I then laid out my units and was ready to finish piecing the Churn Dash. 


After pressing I was ready to applique. 


I had a ball appliqueing this little Jack.  I used needle turn applique , but this Jack would look so cute in wool applique. 

The eyebrows were embroidered.  I used 2 small buttons for the white eyes. 

If you would like this little Jack , feel free to save and print this little guy. 



I ended up displaying this little guy in my Hall of Jacks and Cats where I  have 3 shutters that I drape quilts over for display. 


He certainly makes me smile. 


Well I am just tickled pink ( or should I say orange)  that you dropped in for a Friday visit. I hope you are gearing up for a great weekend. I am not sure what I have on the agenda. The little one does not have a football game and fall baseball has ended for the oldest grandbaby so Saturday is wide open. Hmmm🤔 .Sounds like a great day to play in the Quilt Nest. I just  may do that unless I get distracted by watching the Hallmark Christmas movies. 📺🎄🎅  Have a great day, my dears and  as always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

Thank you for the sweet visit. 

When the spooks have a midnight jamboree, they break it up with fiendish glee. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my baby sister, Amy who loved Halloween and all its fun.  Love and miss you, Amo 




 


49 comments:

  1. Melisa thank you for yet another pattern ! Have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah you are so welcome, dear Annelies and thank you for the sweet visit and kind words. Have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
  2. So Halloween-themed and adorable! Thank you for the tutorial also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are so kind, Danice and thank you for stopping by for a visit. This was a fun little guy to work on . Happy stitching.

      Delete
  3. Very cute project! I love the web fabric~ so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Sandie. That has been in my stash for almost 20 years. It was a lot of fun to be able to use some of it. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  4. He looks right at home nestled in with your other Jacks and cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Vicki. He was a fun little guy to work on. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  5. Cute Jack! Thanks so much for the pattern. Jacks & cats are so great together and I like your display of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much for the sweet visit and kind words. Jacks and Cats are some of my favorite characters to work on during this time of the year. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  6. Your cheery Jack is wonderful and so is your Halloween display!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Elizabeth. I am so happy to have him completed and out on display. Have a wonderful weekend and happy stitching.

      Delete
  7. I really like that Jack! All of the other projects in your display are very cool too! Thanks for sharing your pattern and photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much for the sweet visit and kind words, Carol. This little Jack certainly makes me smile. Have a great weekend .

      Delete
  8. Funny Jack - I'm considering making that for my oldest dd who loves Halloween! Thank you for the pattern!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Donna; I am so honored that you are thinking of making it for a gift. . It was a quick project . I thought this little guy would be cute for a Halloween bag too. Happy stitching.

      Delete
  9. Oh my, oh my...I LOVE the photo on the top of your blog. I want to move in! LOL!! Thank you for the Happy Jack design and tutorial. Sewing a stripe background adds so much to the block. I think I have to stitch one up before the big day, myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah I am so honored , Joan. Thank you so much. I hope you enjoy this little guy and thank you again for the fabulous themed blog hop. You keep me motivated. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  10. Cute Jack! Your hall is chock full of Halloweeny goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Sharon. The hall s one of my favorite places to decorate especially since I get to change out the quilts. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Halloween.

      Delete
  11. Well, that is just adorable. I love you made a pieced background and churn dash block. Your display is super cute! Thanks for all that you shared. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Carla for the sweet visit and kind words. . It was a great use of scraps . For some reason I just can not keep enough whites or neutrals in my stash.Lol. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  12. I totally agree with Carla (and all the rest), adorabe and super cute churn dash. Thank you for the sweet pattern and so easy to follow, Great Instructions. Love it all!! Hugs from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah you just made my day, Mary. Thank you so much. I am excited to add this little guy to my Jack collection. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  13. This is such a cute Happy Jack mini! He's a perfect addition to all those wonderful Halloween decorations you show in your header. Wow, that is quite a collection! Thank you for sharing your Halloween treats with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Carol. I have been collecting Halloween pieces for a long time and I am so excited to add this little guy to the collection. I appreciate the sweet visit and kind words. Have a great weekend

      Delete
  14. What an adorable Happy Jack Mini! Thanks so much for the instructions. All your Halloween decorations are lovely! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah you are so welcome, Karrin and thank you for the sweet visit and kind words. It is hard to believe that Halloween will be here in a few short days. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  15. Melisa, I love how you sewed the striped background for your churn dash block. I love churn dashes, and the Jack applique is really cute! Thanks so much for the tutorial and pattern. This little quilt is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Brenda. Thank you so much for the sweet visit. The churn dash is one of my favorite blocks and I so enjoyed working on this little guy. Have a very lovely weekend and happy quilting.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Aaah you are so welcome and thank you for stopping by to visit me. Wishing you the most wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  17. What a happy little guy! He looks sew cute with his wobbly teeth and big eyes. The churn dash block is my favorite! Thank you for the tutorial on how to make this great little quilt. I think I just might have to make this for my front gate. Jack can welcome all my visitors looking for candy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah I would be so honored if you do decide to make this little guy. Thank you so much, Charlene for the sweet visit and kind compliment. I do like a toothy grin on a Jack . Lol. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Halloween.

      Delete
  18. This Happy Jack is quite the handsome guy! Thanks for your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so welcome, Ginny and thank you. He certainly makes me smile. Lol. Have a great weekend, Ginny.

      Delete
  19. That is a fun design! I bet Jack could be embroidered, too, and then set inside that fun border. You're always giving me ideas, Melisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a fabulous idea, Diann. I may reduce him in size and try that as well. I thought he would look darling appliqued for a trick or treat bag too. Thank you for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  20. Such a cute finish, love your Halloween decor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much for the sweet visit and kind words, Denise. This was a fun quilt to work on. Have a great week and happy quilting.

      Delete
  21. He looks fantastic! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome, Leah and thank you so much for dropping by to visit me. I hope you have a blessed week.

      Delete
  22. Thank you for a lovely and fun pattern and for makins us smile with your Halloween display, I enjoyed seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Diana. I had a great time working on this little quilt. I so appreciate your sweet visit.

      Delete
  23. This was a great visit to Hallowe'en haven. I'm arriving late, so I read up on the subsequent blog postss as well. you have inspired me to create a lovely pin keep using your examples as inspiration. thanks a bunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much for the sweet visit and kind compliment, Lynn. Oh how fun. I love pin keeps. Have a wonderful time stitching and have a very lovely week.

      Delete
  24. I'm very late commenting, but what a fun post! I'm printing that little pumpkin, I think I might make a woolie with him! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he would look amazing in wool , Wendy. Thank you so much . I hope you enjoy this little guy and Happy Halloween.

      Delete
  25. Thank you~ I love Happy Jack. It's also the name of a place we camped in the Arizona forests many times. =)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday