Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The Bee Keepers - A Sweet Freebie

 Good morning, sweet friends and welcome.  I  was hoping to announce that hubby and I were officially bee keepers by now. But alas we are not. Mr. Pinker and his friend, Mr. M. both put out honeybee swarm traps in hopes of catching a swarm. 
Mr. M. got a call and was able to gather a swarm of honey bees that had swarmed in a local neighborhood . Oh lucky him. He will be enjoying sweet honey soon. šŸšŸÆšŸ˜ƒ

 One evening I went with Mr. Pinker out to the farm and studied where the honey bees were. Lots of clover and the trees were in bloom. 

We found a Bradford pear tree along the fence line, and it was a buzz with activity with busy bees visiting each fragrant bloom. It  looked pretty promising. So after some contemplation; it was decided to place it  across from the pear tree along the fence line near the old shed. 

                       

 After a couple of weeks, IT happened !!! A swarm had moved into the box!!! We are going to be beekeepers I thought.  Oh,  how exciting!!!! But as quickly as they moved in - the moved right on out before we could get them transfered to their new homes. Oh bummer!!! Well at least our beehive  boxes are all cleaned out and ready for when we do get bees again. 

Last year, I had stitched a little piece called The Bee Keepers and only had it on display for a short time.

 I pulled it out again this spring and had it on my hutch and showed it in my Spring Hutch tour

                    

I had many lovely comments and compliments about this piece and thought that would be the piece to share this week.  Now mind you , I did stitch this when I had very little floss choices so I  definitely made do. 

In this piece, two whimsical chickens, Myrtle and Pauline are moving their bee skep in a little red wagon. They have made it to the top of the hill.  I guess they will relocate the bee skep near their coop. Hope Myrtle keeps that wagon under control.



If you are interested in stitching this piece, please check out the pdf's below. 

Many of you know , but I always like to leave this little disclaimer.  

I stitch my little designs for fun and to decorate my home. I feel very blessed by this community and love sharing my little charts, but I am not a professional designer. And I do not have professional software. Thank you for understanding that I  have to put each page on separate pdf downloads because of the devices I use. I apologize for that.  And I am always grateful for your kind encouragement , your visits, and stitching my little designs.

Click here for the instruction page. 

                               

Click here for the colored chart.  NOTE: I am still running low on ink .I am so sorry the  colors are off in the chart but I think you can make the distinctions.

                                   

Click here for the black and white chart. 

                                

Yesterday, hubby and I went to take down the swarm box. Maybe next time we can get the help of Pauline and Myrtle. šŸ˜€  Thank you so much for visiting me today and hope that your day is filled with many blessings. As always...

Happy stitching, ya'll

Melisa


Kind words are like honey . Sweet to the soul and healthy for the body- Proverbs 16:24.

Hugs and Stitches

26 comments:

  1. It's a very pretty X-Stitch. Hopefully you have new bees move in soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, dear for the sweet visit. I hope we will be able to find some bees soon. But if not maybe next year. Lol Thank you for the sweet visit and happy quilting.

      Delete
  2. I always am tempted to start counted cross stitch when I see your lovely designs. Hope you get bees soon, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gretchen. It took me quite awhile before I was willing to dive into cross stitching too because my main love is quilting. It is hard to juggle multiple hobbies . Lol. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  3. Another adorable stitch. So if you took down your box, does that mean you are looking for a new location? I know chickens, but not a thing about bees. My neighbor has them and we trade eggs for honey. Good deal, rightšŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennie. I hope you are doing well. I believe hubby is going to move the box to another location in hopes of maybe another swarm. He knows more about it than I do , but we used to buy our bees.This is our 1st attempt to try to catch a swarm . I think eggs for honey is a great trade. Of course I love both . Lol Have a very lovely week.

      Delete
  4. How cute! šŸ I hope your bees come to you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, I hope to have some bees soon, but time will tell . Lol. This is a new experiment for us on trying to catch a swarm. So fingers crossed. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  5. Love your new blog header, Melisa! What a sweet Honey piece you are offering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Robin. It is fun changing out the header each month and sometimes a challenge on getting a good photo. Lol. and thank you on my little Bee Keeper stitch too. I am glad to be able to share it . Happy stitching.

      Delete
  6. Un adorable modĆØle que vous nous offrez. J'espĆØre que vous pourrez devenir apiculteur et dĆ©guster le prĆ©cieux nectar qu'est le miel.
    AmitiƩs de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Christel for the kind words. Hopefully we will be able to catch a swarm. If not , then maybe next year. I would love some sweet local honey. I hope you are doing well . Have a very lovely and blessed week.

      Delete
  7. I just love this piece. I’m definitely going to give it a go. Last year during lockdown i though I might like to have some honey bees. At the same time my husband announced he wanted chickens. We have six of the most adorable little hens you could wish for. Hope you get your bees Melisa. Would love a jar of honey if you do šŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw I am so delighted you visited me on my blog, Karen . I just love your little chickens that you have posted on IG. They do look like they would provide a lot of entertainment and joy - not to mention the eggs. Lol. It has been years since we have had honeybees, but I am so glad that hubby is wanting more. They would be great for the flowers and definitely would enjoy the honey. Have a great week.

      Delete
  8. I just love this piece. I’m definitely going to give it a go. Last year during lockdown i though I might like to have some honey bees. At the same time my husband announced he wanted chickens. We have six of the most adorable little hens you could wish for. Hope you get your bees Melisa. Would love a jar of honey if you do šŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love this piece. I’m definitely going to give it a go. Last year during lockdown i though I might like to have some honey bees. At the same time my husband announced he wanted chickens. We have six of the most adorable little hens you could wish for. Hope you get your bees Melisa. Would love a jar of honey if you do šŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love this piece. I’m definitely going to give it a go. Last year during lockdown i though I might like to have some honey bees. At the same time my husband announced he wanted chickens. We have six of the most adorable little hens you could wish for. Hope you get your bees Melisa. Would love a jar of honey if you do šŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this piece. I’m definitely going to give it a go. Last year during lockdown i though I might like to have some honey bees. At the same time my husband announced he wanted chickens. We have six of the most adorable little hens you could wish for. Hope you get your bees Melisa. Would love a jar of honey if you do šŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸšŸ˜ŠšŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a Bea too.. Thanks for the sweet design. Your generosity is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah well this stitch is just for you. lol thank you so much for visiting me and for the sweet compliment. I hope you enjoy this little design.

      Delete
  13. It was so interesting reading about the bee swarms, Melisa--I hope you get one soon and can have that honey any time you want :) I am weird--I don't like the taste of honey at all. I'll use it in sauces and such, but just don't find the taste to my liking. What I do like, though, is your latest design--so cute and I thank you again for all of your sweet creations. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. We have not had bees in years and we have always bought them in the past so this was our 1st attempt to try to catch a swarm. I can only eat a bit of honey at a time because of the sweetness, but I do enjoy it and of course I love the bees visiting my flowers. Lol

      Delete
  14. That is so cute! I hope I can cross stitch again one day and if so, I'd like to make that. Sorry your swam didn't stay. I guess they were just shopping. lol We've considered beekeeping for a couple of years but our county is pretty strict with rules and regulations. We may put out a swarm trap next year just to see if we get any scouts. We seldom see honey bees on the flowers near the house. Did you put lemon grass oil in your trap? How long did the swarm stay there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marti. Thank you so much for the sweet visit. This was our 1st time trying to catch a swarm. I am not sure what hubby used to attract the bees; I will have to ask . We have always bought our bees in the past and it has been awhile since we have had any. I am so glad that hubby wanted to try beekeeping again though. They were there for less than 24 hours I know. I was surprised how fast they moved on . I think you are right- they were just shopping. Lol

      Delete
  15. You're freebie cross-stitch charts are so wonderful ! Thank you - I think I pulled down all of the saltbox houses. So very cute when put together. Thanks for your generosity - You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Dianna. I love creating the little saltboxes; it is very relaxing to me to stitch a house for some reason. I like seeing them all stitched and displayed together too. I have seen so many cute versions of them on IG. I hope you enjoy the little stitches and hope you will visit again. I will be posting more. Happy stitching.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Chicks and Bunnies Easter Hutch Tour