Sunday, May 16, 2021

I See Red!

Happy Sunday, my dear friends. I hope you have had a delightful weekend. Mine has been fantastic! My youngest daughter came home  Thursday for a long weekend visit which is always a  joy. I only wish she could stay longer, but she has a busy work week ahead. She did however make her rounds to see family members and was able to relax a bit. 
Yesterday, I hit my first yard sale for the year. I always tell hubby that if he sees  a good yard sale or a church yard sale to call me. Well, he had spotted one on Friday at a little church in a neighboring community. So yesterday around lunch time, I decided to go see if they had anything, but to be honest I thought they would have very little considering how late it was. I was pleasantly surprised to see several vehicles pulled up to the community room, and when I walked in,  there were lots of treasures to explore.  
I began my initial walk through just scanning for items and prices . No, I did not spot any labels or signs with prices. Eeek. I thought; I do like to see prices.  As I wove in and out of the tables, I looked up to scan the room and then I spotted  IT!!! I saw RED!!! With a clickity clack of the speed of my heels. I was across the room in a flash! I just found a BIG RED BEAUTY-  a bow tie handquilted quilt.
 Oh, my mind was racing, but no prices! Aaah! It is going to be expensive I thought. I looked around and no one was near so I walked over and asked one of the ladies how much was the quilt. She  asked "Which on?"  Hmmm. I just saw one maybe she is thinking of the  blankets there too. We walked over , and she picked it up.  She said she would find out. As she was walking she said, "I am sure it is $2.00."  WHAT? I thought. There is no way.  So I followed behind her in complete and utter confusion and when she asked the nice lady who dealt with pricing,  I about fell over when she said yes it was $2.00! I tell you I could not get my money out fast enough!
Oh, this is going to be a great haul I thought!  I went back to shopping and found a number of little odd and end treasures - knitted dish clothes, milk glass, a doll chair,  but  I soon found myself back at the sheets and blankets .  She did say "Which one" I thought so I began rummaging and tucked underneath a pile of blankets was another quilt! Yippee!!!! How can this be I thought. I almost felt a little light headed. lol .  I pulled the quilt out which was made of soft light colored shirtings  and saw that it had a hole, but for $2.00 I could not pass it up. It couldn't be more than that I thought.  And yep I was right. I think I did a little jig right there in front of everybody. Lol I was so excited.  Oh what a fabulous day!!  I ran to the car in glee with 2 quilts and a box of this and that . I have to admit I was on having  "Yard Sale Rush" ! 
After leaving the yard sale,  I visited my mom and had to pull out the Big Red Beauty to show her. Of course she was not as excited as I am , but I was flying high.

 Later I came home to spread it out.

 There are a couple of repairs that I need to make but it is in good condition.
 It was machine pieced and hand quilted.  
The other quilt which I will share after the repair work is done was actually 2 quilts- it is reversible. 
Since I had the quilt all spread out, it was a perfect time to sit in the yard as hubby cooked Kent Rollins Oklahoma's Fried Onion hamburgers.   We could have a little picnic. 

 I was intent on trying to capture photos of a blue indigo bunting on the bird feeder too, but he was sort of skiddish.

 As I sat trying to look inconspicuous to the birdies, I worked on my flag quilt that I pieced last year with all sorts of scraps. 
This quilt is on the fast track to being completed and is a my project for today. I am not going to say that I will get it completed this week, but boy would I be overjoyed if I did. 
Every since Wednesday which was a big day in the Quilt Nest, my stitching has sort of fell down the wayside. Not much has gone on . Today however I hope to remedy that and continue working on Tree of Samplings Beauty and Grace.
 Since I finished Abby Rose Designs " A Joyous Day" this past week, "Beauty and Grace" has moved into its stitchy spot. 
Well that has been my weekend in a nutshell . I sure hope you had something bring you lots of joy, and I am so grateful that you allowed me to share my happenings with you. 
As always, 
Happy quilting and stitching, ya'll, 
Melisa

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.  

      Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap

Beth at Love Laugh Quilt  for Monday Making
Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Lynette at What a Hoot! for BOMs Away Monday
Tish at The Madd Hatter for UFO Busting #144

Not all who wander are lost, they are looking for good yard sales.
Hugs and Stitches

19 comments:

  1. Wow, what luck, Melisa!! Congratulations on your "new" quilt. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much.I could not believe it and am so happy to add it to my collection. I hope you have a very blessed week.

      Delete
  2. $2.00 for that humble quilt was quite a steal--love your picnic posing. Enjoy your pretty stitcheries too. I have never seen a dark blue bird like that here in CA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet visit, Annie. I was jumping for joy when I found this quilt.It has indeed found its home. It has been a challenge to try to photograph this little bird. I do keep trying though. This is the 1st year that I have seen one on my property so it is a treat. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, what wonderful bargains! Also, great job hubby for letting you know about the sale. Your picnic setting looks very inviting. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , I agree. Hubby did do a great job on directing me to the sale. As soon as I got in the car , I had to call him to tell him of my finds. Thank you so much for visiting me and for leaving the sweetest comment. have a lovely week.

      Delete
  4. I don't think you could look inconspicuous to the sweet birdies, quilting that lovely quilt. =) As for that red beauty for the grand sum of $2.00....all your stars were certainly aligned. A fabulous find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, the cardinals finally flew back in for a few shots, but the indigo bunting kept its distance. But I did get a pretty good amount of stitching completed. I do believe you are right on my thrifty find, Kim. Thank you so much for visiting me, dear and have a very lovely week.

      Delete
  5. WOW! Such a great find and bargains! Perfect quilt for picnic. Very pretty stitcheries and great progress on your flag quilt. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited beyond belief, Astrid when I heard the price of the quilt. I think it was meant to be. Thank you so much on my flag quilt. I am really enjoying it. Have a lovely week and thank you for the sweet visit, dear.

      Delete
  6. Enjoy your new quilts! I look forward to viewing the reversible quilt. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a perfect picnic blanket! Lots of wonderful scraps to look at as you quilt your flag quilt. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know the giddy feeling you are talking about. Finding treasures AND getting them for cheap!! I love that quilt and you staged and photographed it so well . I love all the little birds we are seeing right now. We are wnjoying the bluebirds right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melisa, what a beautiful red/white quilt you came home with. Looking forward to seeing the other quilt you picked up. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a find! It really is a cute quilt -- but I am a sucker for red. I've had a couple of robins who get totally put out if I go out on the deck. I've seen the two of them several times when I've gone out to take quilt photos or fill the feeder. One of them likes to squawk at me. He (or she) does not want me out there. I've taken to talking to him/her but it isn't making him happier. I get a big kick out of it. Usually I'm just on the deck not down the stairs and on the grass or walkway. Your blue indigo bunting is beautiful. We have bluebirds and a lot of "wren" type but nothing quite that glamorous. We had a bunch of yellow finches who wiped out the bird feeder in less than 24 hours. But they've moved on. Sometimes I spot an oriole but not often. I enjoy looking at my bird feeder while I'm quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a find!!! $2.00!! Amazing!! Love your flag quilt!! Beautiful!!
    Love your picnic display on the quilt!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great find!! I love to go through yard sales and flea markets. I think that thrift shopping is one of the things I've missed the most this past year. LOL at your blue indigo bunting. I have a group of rufous hummingbirds that come through once a year on their way to the north. They "hate" me. they are described as pugnacious. That is being nice. LOL No matter how quiet I sit, they still refuse to have their picture taken. Your stitching is lovely and I sure do like your flag quilt! Perfect fabrics. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun find!!! I can't wait to see the second one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous find! I would have been thrilled at ten times that price! And then a picnic on top of it. Woohoo! I like how your flag quilt is looking, too.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Darlene's Quilt