Friday, January 1, 2021

Turnip Greens, Hog Jowl and a New Start!

 Turnip greens, hog jowl and a new start- those were my plans for New Year's Day . So what about you ? Did you have a New Year's Day start or did work on WIPS or UFOs?   I would love to hear what you have been working on. 

 I had "sew" much fun on New Year's Eve. I spent the day in the "Quilt Nest " working on two small quilts- a green four patch and the beginnings of a blue nine patch.  

I love piecing 1 1/2" squares together. 

After dark it was time to settle into some stitching. 

On Dec. 31, 2019, I started "Winter Blessings" by Teresa Kogut. Since I had not finished it, how fitting for me to end 2020 stitching on the same piece. I just need to finish the snowman and add snowflakes.  Will it be finished in 2021? I hope so . Lol.

Winter stitching is coming out . 

Once the clock clicked over to 12:00, I rang in the new year with a new start -  Little House Needleworks, "Sampler Stitchers" . I was going to work on the Mary Hogg 1830 Sampler, but I did not have my fabric dyed so Sampler Stitchers it was.   I put in a few stitches till time to go to bed . 

On New Years, the day started with me sprinting around the house cleaning as hubby worked on the New Year's Day  meal- hog jowl, turnip greens, black eyed peas and cornbread. He did a pretty good job and all was delicious. 


Once the meal was over ,it was time for a little quilting time in the "Quilt Nest". Can you believe it? A new start on a small quilt too! I am doing a happy dance!
  Earlier this week I was "dream quilting"- lol I know you other quilters  or stitchers do it too --where you dream of quilting or stitching a new project. Well I dreamed of a pink snowman quilt. Yep, A Pink Snowman!   I just could not get him out of my mind. So today was the day to pull a few scraps out of the bin and lickety split in about an hour he was all stitched up and hand appliqued. He was strip pieced in pink fabrics as was the border. Hardly any measuring at all. Super fun.  


Though he is eyeless and mouthless right now, he will be getting some details and personality this weekend. I am tickled pink over my Valentine's Snowman.  😂💓⛄

 I am joining Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for the Get a Whoop Whoop Link Party,  Alycia at Alycia Quilts for Finished or Not Friday, and  Wendy  at Wendy's Quilts & More for the Peacock Party. 

I plan to spend the rest of the evening on Sampler Stitchers.  I hope your 1st day of January was just as  fantastic. As always...
Happy Stitching and quilting, 
Melisa
Thank you so much for  taking time out of your busy day to visit me. Your sweet visits bring me lots of joy.  





18 comments:

  1. I love that snowman with his red snowflake heart. The colors and patterns look really pretty together. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tammy. Thank you so much for visiting. I had a ball creating that snowman. I can not wait to get him finished and have him on display. Sometimes it is fun to make a simple little happy quilt. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. Your pink snowman is adorable. Your green four patch and the blue nine patch look awesome. I started a new project on the 1st; it has been a tradition of mine for many years now. Looking forward to returning to it today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to hearing more about your New Years project, Robin. I had a lot of fun working on a New Years project . Wish I could have started a Christmas Day project too, but too busy. Lol. Have a wonderful week. Hugs

      Delete
  3. Your pink snowman was so so awesome!! Love him! And I love your ‘Sampler Stitchers’ as your choice for New Years. Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much. I had a great day working on both and look forward to finishing them. I hope you have a blessed week and thank you so much for visiting. Hugs

      Delete
  4. Quelle belle idée que ce bonhomme de neige rose, c'est rigolo. Vos quilts avec les carrés sont très jolis également.
    Comme toutes les brodeuses vous avez débuté un bel ouvrage pour le 1er janvier.
    Quant à moi je continue de broder les ouvrages que j'ai en cours.
    Amitiés de France,
    Christel
    http://toilesetfils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christel. I hope you are doing well. I think it sounds fantastic to be working on projects already started; that is what I should be doing. I know you will be so proud to get them completed. I am looking forward to completing the snowman quilt and having him on display. Have a blessed week, Christel and thank you so much for visiting. Hugs

      Delete
  5. Enchanting embroidery; you sound as if you'll be happy spending your evenings stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Marly for visiting. You are exactly right. I enjoy every moment I have stitching and quilting. I wish I had more hours in the day or could do away with that "sleep thing" Lol. Have a wonderful week filled with blessings.

      Delete
  6. So many lovely projects you have going, Melisa! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting Rebecca and leaving such a kind comment. I think my new year is starting off on the right foot with some great quilting and stitching starts. I hope your new year is filled with joy and blessings.

      Delete
  7. What a fun way to spend your new years eve and day!! I love it!! and the pink snowman is adorable - he could be valentine snowman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi , Alycia. Thank you so much for visiting. I just recently found your blog and fell in love with it. I so appreciate you taking the time to leave such a kind comment. I think this little snowman will be a Valentines Snowman- that's a good idea. lol. Happy quilting

      Delete
  8. LOVE both of the projects you worked on for New Year's Eve!! I've been working on a new runner for the TABLES SCRAPS Challenge, new on my blog for 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you are having a lot of fun. I look forward to seeing what projects you dream up for the challenge. Thank you so much for visiting and leaving such a lovely comment. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  9. I love all of your projects. I sure admire your awesome talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Lecia. You are always so kind. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and leave such sweet comments. I had such a good day working on my quilting and stitching. I hope this means I will have a good year. Lol. Have a lovely week.

      Delete

Popular Posts

You Got Bunnies? And Bunny House Saltbox Freebie.