Sunday, January 17, 2021

Spools, a Finish and a WIP

Good Morning. Are you ready for an fantastic week? I know I am . I think there will be a lot of playtime in the Quilt Nest this week . Hoping to work on some new projects and then in the evening is  snuggling time on the couch with a bit of stitching.  Lol the exciting life of a needleworker. 
This is one of my quilt stacks that I shared on IG a few weeks ago. Some of my favorite things- stitching, dolls, quilts, and children's books. 


These are the books that I am all into right now. 

I have been pouring over the Little Quilts books. Each project is as sweet as can be and their displays are darling. I was fortunate to visit the quilt shop in the 1990's ,and it was just as cute as the books are. 

I finished a quilt this passed week inspired by Little Quilts. It is just a simple blue and white Nine Patch that I have named "Little Boy Blue" because it reminds me of my grandson whose favorite color is blue. Sometimes just a simple little quilt can bring so much joy.  

"Little Boy Blue" is composed of 9 nine patches; each which measures 6 inches. Quilting on this nine patch gave me the opportunity to complete my 15 minutes of stitching goal each day. 

Not only does this quilt  remind me of my grandson, but this little nine patch has fabric from my oldest daughter's 4th grade shirt. Lol . Yeah ! I remember when she wore this shirt though that was long ago ,and she is grown now. She always shakes her head, rolls her eyes and says" Mom,   who saves this stuff?"  "Well I do," I say and now each time I look at the quilt I will remember her wearing that little blue button up as she pranced into  elementary school years ago.


Another blue quilt has gone into the hoop. This is what I will be working on for Slow Stitching Sunday. 

I love stitching nine patches and have more squares cut to begin a new project. 

Saturday's quilting project included sewing up a few Spool Blocks. I pieced 5 ( 3 pinks and 2 blues) . 

I plan on making a few  at a time until I have enough scrappy spools for a larger quilt.  I followed the tutorial by Jenny Doan of Missouri Quilt Company which is posted on Youtube in a Dec. 4, 2014 video.  Click on the name to go to her video. It was easy peasey. 


One of the projects that I pulled out late Saturday night to work on was this little free sampler called "May Day Basket" by With Thy Needle and Thread . It can be found on Brenda Gervais 's blog .  Click here to see more of  this design.  I started this in April of 2020. It is nice to pull it out of hibernation and give it a little love. I plan on working on this today, and a little each day this week.  I am using the floss that I have on hand and few mystery flosses ( floss that has lost their tags. Lol) 

Thank you so much for visiting me,  and I hope you have a very productive and scraptastic  week. Now let's go do something fun. 
Happy quilting, ya'll. 
Melisa
  I am joining these fabulous ladies in their link parties. I hope you will pop over and see what they are up to as well as other quilters. I have had so much fun discovering new blogs and seeing a variety of projects. 
Alycia at Alycia Quilts -  Finished or Not Friday
Sarah at Confessions of Fabric Addict for Can I get a Whoop Whoop
Angela at So Scrappy for  Scrap Happy Saturday. 
Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday 
Beth at Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Thank you ladies for hosting these wonderful link parties. 

 

 



10 comments:

  1. I enjoyed having a daughter after 2 boys and I loved sewing clothing for her. I've used many of the leftover pieces in quilts so you aren't the only one reminicing about the days from long ago. Love the cross stitching, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Gretchen. It is so fun to reminisce when quilting. It brings a lot more meaning to the quilt. Have a lovely week and happy quilting.

      Delete
  2. Oh Melisa, I love your darling little blue/white nine patch quilt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Robin. It was a fun little quilt to make plus I can use it in several seasonal vignettes. Have a lovely week. Hugs

      Delete
  3. PINK Spools and pink-handled scissors... PERFECT for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!! :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much. They were fun to create and lol Pink is right up my alley. It is one of my favorite colors. Thank you so much for visiting and happy quilting.

      Delete
  4. best part of quilting is the memories, new and old

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the projects.... Little boy blue!! how sweet!! and what great memories stitched into the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple of Little Quilts books too. Very inspirational. You've got a beautiful cross stitch project going too. We creators always need something working in our hands!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed, Melisa, at your quilting talents!! I always wanted to learn to quilt but I never had the time to do so.My one Aunt and her daughter ( 6 of them) used to get together and work on one quilt together that they then gifted to whoever was getting married in the family...Unfortunately, I got married before they started to do this so i never received one of their beautiful creations....Thanks for stopping by again!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Chasing Butterflies