Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Country Roads Take Me Home


  
"Country roads  take me home

To the Place I belong.."

Gosh! It doesn't seem like this John Denver song is over 50 years old. My how time flies. 

 Good morning, my friends. I have made it home from our  vacation. We did not take our long trip out west but spent the last couple of weeks weaving in and out of TN, VA and NC camping at state parks. It was a good trip.


 Lots to see and of course I  ate too much. 


One of our favorite places to eat was Pals's Sudden Service. If you are ever  in East TN, you have got to visit them. It is a drive thru, and the burgers are big and delicious !!  



Image from Pal's Sudden Service


Of course , Mr. Pinker was a master chef at the grill as well.


 He even fixed breakfast. 

           

In Greenville, we visited the resting place of President Andrew Johnson .  We also visited his home and his old tailor shop. 

 

Lots of rivers and streams to explore. Mr. Pinker fished. I kayaked or stitched by the creeks.  


A highlight was visiting Mount Airy , NC. My favorite TV show is Andy Griffith, and I have always wanted to visit his hometown.

Hiked the Appalachian Trail at Roan Mountain. 

Roan Mountain. 

 One of the project that I took along with me was Jeannette Douglas's Mini Bouqet freebies. I fell hook , line and sinker for this project with the enablement of 3 of my dear  stitchy friends- Robin who sent me the charts , Marianne who has shared a photo of one of her beautiful pinkeeps and Sharon who is stitching hers as one piece. After much debate, I decided to work on this as a large piece.

 I have had so much fun just pulling flosses at random. Some in fact are mystery flosses because the labels have long since been lost. 

 I also finished Amy's Pinkeep which I shared as a freebie before I left on my trip. 

I really should not call it a pinkeep since it is so big on 14 count aida, but it would look quite lovely finished on a paper mache box with a fair amount of batting under it . Don't you think so?  However, it may end up in a frame, just depends on how long I want to wait for the perfect finishing piece. 

 I even took a small quilt to work on while enjoying down time at the campground. 

Well I will not chat your ear off at this moment. I  still have lots of unpacking to do and chores, chores, chores.  I just wanted to pop in and say hi and to say that I have missed ya'll. I hope to catch up on posts, lovely comments and IG very soon. Thank you for all of the safe travel well wishes. They mean so much too me. Have a very beautiful day. As always...

Happy Stitching & Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

Adventure is worthwhile in itself. - Amelia Earhart

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. Love and miss you. 


32 comments:

  1. Your vacation sounds perfect! Staying fairly close to home and visiting all the beautiful places close to you. Amy's pin keep is lovely! As always, your stitcheries tempt me to start cross stitching but I already have too much hand work in progress. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Gretchen. It was a nice getaway and change of pace. I was thrilled to finish Amy's Pinkeep . Surprisingly it stitched up fast. Lol. I am so glad that I am tempting you. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! I'm so glad you and hubby had a wonderful time - stitching outside your rig in a state park in the quiet of nature is amazing, isn't it? Country Roads is 50? Uh-oh - really dating myself then.
    I have the mini-bouquets saved and hope to get to them soon.
    Love and prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Donna . It was divine and so relaxing. I hope you are able to get in a lot of stitching time while camping. I know you are visiting family too. Have a wonderful weekend. Happy stitching.

      Delete
  3. Your adventures sounded like a good time was had by the two of you, Melisa! Your bouquets piece is looking fabulous. Always happy to enable you! Country Roads is something I typically hum or sing in the car when I am driving places. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol it is a great song. Isn't it? We had a wonderful time and I was thrilled to be working on the bouquets. I got a lot more accomplished than I expected. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  4. Looks like it was a time of refreshment for you Melisa. I love a good hamburger so I need to remember Pals! We do not have any travel plans until late August when we are traveling up to Ohio for a meeting my husband is attending. Of course I will take along my stitching and I have told him we are stopping at Keepsakes in Cincinnati! We will be off to the beach at Gulf Shore the last week of September. We like the slower pace there once all the vacationers have gone home.:) The pin keep is so pretty....It would be nice as a cushion or in a frame. I like to mix small pieces with my bigger pieces in my sewing room. Don't work too hard getting back to normal!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a relaxing vacation. It sounds like you have some great trips planned. Eeeh ! Keepsakes sounds fantastic. I hope that you make a great haul when you go. Love Gulf Shores. It has been a few years since I have gone though. Have a great weekend and happy stitching.

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite songs..even before I lived in WV for 11 years. Sounds like relaxing vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Denver was certainly a talent. We had a wonderful vacation; it was nice to relax and get away. Thank you so much, Stasi. Hope you have a very blessed weekend.

      Delete
  6. How neat to visit the set of Andy Griffith! We love that show. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie I had so much fun there and learned a lot about the show that I did not know. I hope to go back in the future maybe during Mayberry Days. Have a great weekend and thank you so much for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed your vacation pictures. So happy you had a relaxing time. I'm showing my age but I love the John Denver song and the pictures from Any Griffith. Your stitching is beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Sandi for the sweet visit and comment. We certainly had a great time and enjoyed Mt. Airy very much. Lol I am already ready to hitch up the wagon and camp again. Have a wonderful weekend. Happy stitching.

      Delete
  8. Oh Melisa, welcome HOME, I have missed you:) But, I loved looking at your pictures, and am going to have to make some notes when we travel that way again. We are always looking forward to a good place to eat. I loved your pictures, they are relaxing just to look at. As I said, I am glad you are home and rested. Many blesings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Georgia. That means so much to me. We had a wonderful time. I could have ate at Pals just about every day. I love a good burger and excellent service . Hope you have been doing well. Blessings and hugs.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos of your trip! I hope to visit those states some day. I am stitchin' your autumn pumpkin and crow in a jar now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you two had a lovely trip. Loved seeing all the photos. Your pin keep is lovely. I am still working on mine. Hope you get lots of time to unpack and stitch as well. You were missed sweet friend. Blessings always. ((hugs)) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear. It was a good trip and very relaxing. I feel refreshed. I hope you are enjoying your stitch. Hugs and blessings, my friend.

      Delete
  11. I'm so pleased you had a wonderful trip, exploring, fishing for him, stitching for her, eating out, and all the other fun things you managed to do. Returning home is always nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful trip, Jenny. I do have to get back into eating better since the trip though . Lol. Thank you for the sweet visit. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  12. Welcome home! You've been missed but I'm so glad to hear you had a wonderful time relaxing and exploring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Susie. I can not tell you how much that means to me. I had plenty of time to relax while gone and I am feeling refreshed. Have a great weekend. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  13. Welcome home, Melissa! Sounds like you both had a wonderful time. I'm not that far from Mt Airy. So glad you got to visit Andy Griffith's hometown, as well as all those other wonderful places. Your mini bouquets are looking fabulous. Amy's Pinkeep is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Sue. You certainly live in a beautiful area. I love looking at the home and traveling the country roads. It was certainly one of my favorite parts of the trip. Thank you so much on my stitching. I had a great time working on them. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  14. Welcome home, your trip was wonderful and I enjoyed your pictures and descriptions. I felt like I was with you and seeing what you saw. Glad the hubby got in some fishing and your kayaking and stitching, sounds like a good time was had by all! Your pinkeep is beautiful, but I am making mine into a little pillow for my wooden bowl. Take your time and enjoy your family, we will be here waiting for your return when you are ready. Sending many hugs and lots of love to you from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to be home , Mary . We had a wonderful trip and it was very relaxing Not too hot either. I am so touched that you are stitching this little pinkeep. That means so much to me. I hope that you are enjoying it. Thank you for the sweet visit. You always make my day.

      Delete
  15. Your mini bouquets are lovely Melisa. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Christine. I am enjoying every stitch. It is stitching up quickly too. Have a great weekend. Thank you for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  16. Très jolies vos photos des vacances et les broderies des mini bouquets sont superbes .
    Bon week-end

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Monique. Thank you so much. I had a wonderful vacation, but am glad to be home. I was surprised I was able to get so much stitching done and loved working on the bouquets. They are quite relaxing to work on . Have a blessed weekend.

      Delete
  17. If Pal's is in Kingsport, across the street from Heavenly Stitches, I've been there! They are so fast! And nice.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Chicks and Bunnies Easter Hutch Tour