Sunday, June 11, 2023

Sunday Slow Stitching & Thrifty finds


It's a rather blustery day, here in the holler . 


I wish you were here so you could hear the rustling of the leaves as the wind whistles its way  in and out of the holler. Rain is supposed to set in tonight.  
My oldest grandson and  my nephews  have been enjoying  a lazy day in the pool . I however  I have worked on a bit of porch stitching. 
 I pulled out my Butterflies from Heaven quilt. 

Working on the white butterfly today. 

I have been enjoying looking at this book by Eleanor Burns. I found it at the Goodwill the other day .

Last night , I began work stitching a very special cross stitch  that I hope to finish tonight. I will be sharing it on June 16th- well that's the plan at least  . ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿคž
On our way home from vacation, Mr. Pinker was kind enough to let me shop the last leg of the trip. So as soon as we hit Arkansas, I was in search for the Goodwills. Ya'll know I love the thrift and junk shops. So I thought I would show you some of my thrifty finds that will be joining my country clutter. 
Mr. Pinker found me the sign which will go in my she shed. We both got a kick out of it- "Shopping with your Husband is like Hunting with the Game Warden" . Hee ! Hee!   
 The only tin I found was the J & P Coats which I will store thread in. I did however find lots of kitchen items like the chicken and pig creamers. 


And little knick knacks for here  and there. 



We did stop in one shop in Cimarron, NM where I got the vintage utensils. The red potato masher grabbed my heart instantly, and then I started rummaging through the box to find these treasures.  The owner said it sounded like a raccoon going through the box.  He then smiled and handed me a 2nd box to go through. 


I found 3 more Campbell's Kids mugs to add to my collection. 


And another 1990's wooden checkerboard. Love these. Of course Annie had to come home with me. She is too cute- looking all patriotic. She will make her way onto a wreath for the door.  


When I saw this child's barrel back chair, I said I will only get it if it is $3 or less, and by golly, when I turned it over $3 it was  so I guess it was meant to be. ๐Ÿ˜€Mr. Pinker needs to glue it, but it is cute as teeny button. 

Most of these items ranged in the $1-4 range even the wooden bench and shelf which you can't beat that with a stick.  Can you?  
I did pay up for this sewing basket at $14.00. Yikes! That is high for me, but I wanted it plus look it came stuffed with goodies.  
Do you think I got jipped ?   Oooh I hope not, but it wouldn't be the first time.๐Ÿ˜‰ Anywhoo, when do you think it was made? Maybe the 1990's or early 2000's?  

 Alrighty , ya'll. I  have already cleaned these pieces. Now it is time to put them up or on display.  I hope you are having a very relaxing day . It's always good to take a little  time for yourself and enjoy something you love. 

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa 

Be happy ! Be bright! Be you! 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงต❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. I love and miss you so much.❤❤๐Ÿ‘ผ  

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet. 

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Kate at Life in Pieces for  Stitching Stuff ( Sunday) 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday

43 comments:

  1. I love the music of wind rustling through the leaves. Sitting on your pretty porch would be dreamy. Such a bright and cheery little spot. Fabulous thrift finds, Melisa. That sign is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Kim. It was quite relaxing listening to the wind. Luckily the rain held off until later in the evening. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. Look at all the treasures you found and took home. You obviously had lots and lots of fun. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thank you, Darlene. Lol we both had a ball and these little treasures will remind me of our trip. Have a great week. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I'm excited to see what new stitches you will show, looks interesting already.
    Oh, you found a lot of old sweethearts there, I'm happy for you.
    Enjoy your day,
    Martina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Martina. I am so excited about the new stitch. I hope to finish it by tomorrow. I'm thinking a pillow finish. Lol I enjoyed every minute of searching for thrifty treasures as we made our way home. Have a great week. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Wow! A woman after my own heart. You had a very successful rummage. It’s not often we get to find so many old nic nacs over here. No wonder you had to take them home with you. It doesn’t matter how old the sewing box is, it is rather tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thank you so much, Janice. I am a thriftaholic that is for sure- always looking for a good deal or a fun find. I have always wanted an accordion sewing box. I will be able to store a lot of things in it. Have a wonderful week. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Another great haul! Love your sign. It's very windy here in Moab right now - we wanted to get to Grand Junction today but might put that on hold. So windy it's shaking the rv. :-o And that sewing box - I still have my old one from 2000. Maybe one day it'll be vintage! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Donna, I hope you are having so much fun. Such a pretty area that you are traveling. Have you seen in mountain sheep? The wind can be rough. We had to stop and get on a back road when we were in NM because it was so bad. Have a great time.

      Delete
  6. Your porch swing looks so inviting for a bit of stitching, Melisa! I love the white butterfly, too - it's such a pretty one. Cute finds at the thrift shop - you're good at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Diann. I had such a relaxing time sitting on the porch stitching. With the breeze, it was nice and comfortable as well. Have a fabulous week.

      Delete
  7. It was breezy in the holler here yesterday. At the moment, it is spitting raindrops! Your butterfly quilt is looking good, Melisa. What a wonderful assortment of country clutter you found and Mr. Pinker gets the gold star for the sign. So appropriate! Have a marvelous Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you did not have severe storms like we had. It was nice during the day , but later during the night it let loose .Lol. Luckily there was not damage. Mr. Pinker and I had a great time searching for treasures. Hope you are having a good week. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. over a year ago I was at an auction here in Arkansas and a sewing basket like that one sold for well over $100 dollars. I was one of the bidders but bailed out when the bid went over $120.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow!!! I have always wanted a sewing basket like this. It looks like it will hold a lot. I wish you was able to have the winning bid. It is always exciting to go to auctions- you never know what will happen with the prices. Have a beautiful day and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs

      Delete
  9. You found some really cute and useful pieces, I want to go thrifting with you!!! Have a wonderful day with your grands, see you soon. Hugs from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mary, I bet we would have a time thrifting. This past weekend I went yard saleing- like I needed to do that . Lol, but I had fun. I hope your week is off to a great start. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  10. Super fun finds, Melisa! Love the red masher!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Nancy. I had a ball searching for thrifty finds. My heart melts for vintage kitchen utensils. Hubby only wishes I would put them to use more often. Lol. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  11. What great treasures you found! I'm half afraid someone will stop at my house and think it's an antique store! Love those things that I have to ask the clerk "What is this?" My boys had a water balloon fight with 500 balloons! Looks like New Years confetti in the yard! Thanks for the great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Thank you so much for the giggle. I know the feeling. Once some workers were at my house and one said he felt like he was at Cracker Barrel. I didn't know what to think; since there was no cooking going on - I knew it was the country clutter. Lol. Oh gosh, a water balloon fight is always fun. Mine love to do the same. Great way to cool off as well and decorate the yard. Hee Hee! Have an awesome week. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. You found a magnificent selection of treasures, each one more beautiful!
    A hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear Isabel. We had a ball searching for treasures. Have a blessed week. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. I always enjoy seeing the goodies you find at thrift shops, Melisa! That little chair is so sweet and I love the green shamrocks as well. No wonder you always have such wonderful displays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah thank you so much, Carol. I have an affection for children's chairs. I rarely see St. Patrick's Day pieces so I was glad to snatch that piece as well. Have a wonderful week. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. You found lots of lovely treasures indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Jenny. You are so kind. We had a wonderful time searching and looking for goodies. It makes that travel home a little easier on me. Lol. Have a great week. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Hope you got in lots of porch stitching over the weekend. If it's porch weather, that's definitely the place to be in the summer. You did really well on finding the treasures during your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the rain held off and I was able to enjoy quilting on the porch. I agree if the weather is good, I want to be outside that is for sure. Have a lovely week, Kate and happy quilting.

      Delete
  16. I get so excited looking at all the treasures you find!! I love that wooden sewing basket and I don't think you got taken on that...it's a treasure IMO! Love the sign and that knife sharpener is really cool!! Have an awesome week, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Brenda. It is always a thrill to hunt for thrifty treasures. I love anything that reminds me of my grandparents. I was over the moon with the vintage utensils and had never seen a knife sharpener like that. Have a lovely week. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. So many fun things you picked up on your travels. My friend made that Eleanor Burns quilt. It is an heirloom project, for sure. I have no idea on the age of the sewing basket, but it is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Ginny. Oh I bet your friends quilt looks amazing. Did she make the 3 D blocks. Both versions of the blocks in the book are so beautiful. I love everything that Eleanor Burns does. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. Melisa,
    LOVE that butterfly quilt and all the bright vibrant colors in it!!!
    I have 2 of the "sweetened by the Sun" Campbell's mugs...They were a gift set offered by Target one year at Christmas...I bought them on clearance after the Season was over..Love all your charming vintage displays!! I hope you are having a great week!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Debbie. The butterfly quilt has been a labor of love. I was able to buy the butterfly bodies already  cut out so I just had to applique them.  Oh how interesting about the Campbell's mugs. I did not know where they could be purchased from. Every now and then I find them at the Goodwill. I thought about doing a hutch display in them later on in the year. . Thank you for the sweet visit and hope you have a lovely week as well. Hugs. 

      Delete
  19. What a fun haul! And, no, you did not pay too much for that sewing basket, especially when you consider all the stuff that was in it. It's truly lovely! And, that Eleanor Burns quilt looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time , shopping our way back home , Kim. I was jumping for joy to find the sewing box. I had always wanted one like this. I think it will hold a lot too. I love Eleanor Burns. Have a wonderful week. Hugs.

      Delete
  20. Wonderful finds! I'm sure the butterfly will be happy to get more stitches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Kathy. I had a wonderful time shopping my way back home. It has been nice to be able to get back to this quilt as well. Have a lovely week. Hugs.

      Delete
  21. Definitely not cheated on that box full of good things, plus the box! You found some terrific buys, all along the way. The butterfly quilt is looking great. I hope your rain wasn't as scary as ours, but it looked like it went from you up to my friend in Ohio, and it was pretty scary here! No damage, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Susan. I was over the moon with the sewing box. I haven't gone through it all, but there is some old wooden spools of thread in the box as well which is nice. The rain held off till late and it was certainly loud and windy, but thankfully no damage. Hugs. 

      Delete
  22. Your flag looks so pretty waving in the wind. Reminds me of the Star Bangled Banner…lovely.
    The Butterflies from Heaven is truly a work of art…thinking of your sweet sister as you work on it? Hugs to you.
    The Grandmother’s Garden Quilt looks interesting! Looking forward to seeing your cross stitch project and reading the story behind it. Nice shop finds, especially that sewing basket! ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

What To Do Tuesday