Thursday, June 22, 2023

Oh, Pickles!!!


Cock a Doodle Doo!!!! Rise and shine , Sunshine!!!

Oh, we have such a busy day!  So grab your farm boots, apron, canning jars, sewing machine and fabric....๐Ÿ‘ข๐Ÿงต Hmmm. I bet you are saying what is this silly gal up to today. Well, its canning time. So let's head to garden and pick some cucumbers. This is the first crop, and they look so tasty.  Dont' they? 

Once we  have a good basket full, we will  head back to the house. 

๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

Grab an apron!

We are making bread and butter pickles today.

I pulled out my handy dandy Ball canning book for reference. 

If you have this book, I just used the Traditional Bread and Butter Pickles recipe on page 303. It's easy peasy and your house will be smelling so good as the cucumbers and onions marinate for a couple of hours. 

The darling canning labels were freebie printables posted by Jennie at The Housewife Modern blog.  Jennie has several different styles . Thank you, Jennie. 

I canned 8 jars of pickles today. 

๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

After a hard days work in the kitchen, I think we should enjoy some down time at the sewing machine. Don't you? Today I am making mason jar blocks. There are all kinds of fabulous patterns out there and even free tutorials probably for any size block you want. Usually I like to applique my mason jars, but today I am piecing. 

Here are the measurements that I used for my jars. 

๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

MEASUREMENTS FOR ONE BLOCK

BACKGROUND FABRIC - CUT 2 - 1 1/2" x 2" strips

                                                 CUT 2- 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" squares

                                                 CUT 2 - 2" x 2" squares

MASON JAR FABRIC-         CUT 1  6 1/2" x 9 1/2"

LID FABRIC-                         CUT 1  1 1/2" x 3 1/2" 

๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

This just a brief description on how I pieced mine. 

๐Ÿฅ’1. The 2" squares are laid face down at the top corners  on the mason jar fabric. You can see that I drew a diagonal line on the white fabrics. That will be my sewing line.  

๐Ÿฅ’2 . I also laid the 1 1/2" squares on the bottom corners of the mason jar fabric . I drew the diagonal sewing lines. 

๐Ÿฅ’3. For the lid, you can see that I used the  two  1 1/2" x 2" strips and the 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" lid fabric strip. I will be piecing them together. 

๐Ÿฅ’4. After sewing down the diagonal lines, I cut off the excess fabric. 

๐Ÿฅ’5. I then pressed the corners. I am ready to sew the lid onto the jar. 

Wahlah!!!! An easy peasy canning jar!

๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

So far I  have made nine jars.  I have not figured out the sashings and borders yet, but I will let you know when I do. Perhaps I will have it completed by next week. Fingers crossed. 

๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

Oooh! How about a doodle?  It is Embroidery Thursday!



๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

Thank ya'll so much for dropping by for a sweet Thursday  visit.  I always welcome help in the kitchen . Now can I count on ya' when the maters come in? Remember I have planted 63 plants !!!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ… Wheww! 

Have an awesome day, Sweeties!!!!

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

Everything is better  in a mason jar. 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงต❤

Dedicated to my baby sister, Amy. who loved to collect vintage mason jars. Love and miss you. ❤❤❤❤

๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

 I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needleworkers to meet. 

Susan at Quilt Fabrication for  Midweek Makers Wednesday

Jennifer at Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday  Wait Loss- Wednesday

Denise at For the Love of Geese for Put Your Foot Down- Thursday

Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday- Thursday

Nina at Creations, Quilts, Art , Whatever by Nina for Off the Wall Friday

Alycia's of Alycia's Quilts for Finished of Not Friday

Michelle  at From Bolt to Beauty for Beauty Pageant - Friday

Wendy at Wendy's Quilts for Peacock Party - Friday

Sarah at  Confessions of a Fabric Addict  for Whoop! Whoop! - Friday


 

๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’  ๐Ÿฅ’

42 comments:

  1. Just reading about your busy day has exhausted me. LOL Love the canning jars, Melisa. Do you plan to add labels to them, as well. Just curious! Happy Thursday - Cooper and I are headed to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ; I was plumb tuckered out, but it was a good day, Darlene. That's a great idea on adding the labels. I will have to think about that. Hope you had a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. The pickles sound delicious. I hope you did save some to make a fresh cucumber salad for supper. When those tomatoes are ripe, you can make tomato/cuke salad, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they were, Gretchen. I had a few left over that did not make into the canning jars. I made a creamy cucumber salad beforehand ; it was wonderful and will be even better when fresh tomatoes come in . Thank you for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness Melisa, I STINKIN LOVE your jar blocks and your pickle recipe sounds so yummy. Girl, you must never take breaks. You get so much done in a day, you amaze me. Can’t wait to see your jar quilt finished, I’m so tempted to make just a small one. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear Patti. I have had the jar quilt blocks on my mind for a few weeks so I was glad to finally get to them. The pickles were yummy. More are going in the canner tomorrow. Dill pickles are next. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Your jar blocks are adorable, Melisa. Well done on getting some canning completed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Robin; I really enjoyed working on the quilt blocks and hope to get back to them soon. I think it is going to be a busy canning season. Well at least I hope so. Lol. Have a great weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. My grandmother loved bread and butter pickles. My kids. . .not so much. . .too sweet for them! Making pickles definitely is a rite of summer! Cute mason jar blocks! Thanks for sharing how you made them!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah such sweet memories, Terry. I think bread and butter are some of my favorites. Dill pickles are next on the agenda though. Thank you so much for the sweet Thursday visit and kind words. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  6. I remember our garden in IN - corn, cukes, tomatoes, pumpkins, lettuce, plus peaches and pears. So much canning going on! Dh loved his bread and butter pickles. I almost miss it ;-) - lots of work tho. The results? YUM! Your blocks are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , Donna, you are so right .It is loads of work but it is so nice to have the food come winter time. Your garden in IN sounded amazing. I can just imagine the juicy peaches. Yummy!!! Have travels. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Love bread and butter pickles and your pickle-themed post! So cute. Those mason jar blocks look adorable. Can't wait to see your quilt! And your little stitchery is perfect for summer. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/06/21/wednesday-wait-loss-333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Jennifer , you are so kind. I have been dreaming of working on mason jar blocks for awhile. They were fun to piece. Have a fabulous weekend .

      Delete
  8. Your pickles look delicious, but I will leave the canning to you;) I helped my mom plenty when I was a kid and have no desire to do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I completely understand, Vicki. I am surprised that I still enjoy canning . Hee ! Hee! It is a lot of work and goodness all of the pots and pans . --- Thank you so much for the sweet giggle and visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Bread and butter pickles are my favorite! I don't can so we get ours at a small local produce stand. Your canning jar blocks are adorable. Will they turn into a table topper, runner...do tell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are my favorite too, Jeanna. This weekend I will be working on dill pickles though- the nephews love them. Lol. It is always nice to visit the local produce stand and local farmers. Oh, I enjoyed the piecing the blocks so much. I have a small nook in the kitchen that I would like to hang it , but that may be next year . So many quilts and not enough time. Lol. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Yum, yum yummy!! Love the smell of fresh cucumbers in the kitchen. Love your sweet doodle and the canning jar blocks are too sweet, thanks for the measures. Have a wonderful day and keep cool in the kitchen. Summer is here for sure, I can only stay outside until about 10am and then it is indoors for the rest of day. Warm hugs from sunny Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mary , they smelled heavenly. Even Mr. Pinker loved the smell. Lol. But it did heat up the kitchen. Fortunately it has not been too hot hear ; we have had rain just about every day this week. Thank you for the kind words on my doodle and blocks too. Have a great weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Mmmm! I can tell those pickles are going to be delicious! And your embroidery and mason jar quilt is looking fab!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Diana. I can not wait to use these pickles in sandwiches and such come winter time. Have a fabulous weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. You are always so active!!!
    You have left me exhausted from keeping up with your rhythm.
    Your beautiful work as always.
    A hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah thank you so much, Isabel. You are the sweetest. I do not feel like I get a lot done, but I try. Thank you so much for the sweet Thursday visit. Have a very lovely weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. Oh yum, bread and butter pickles, my favorite! I'll be right over for a taste! Your mason jar blocks are so fun - you have the best fabrics to feature in those. I love the pickle doodle, too. I'm working on the lemonade one right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , Diann. I wish I could send you a big jar of freshly canned pickles. They turned out great. I am so grateful that you are working on the Lemonade block. I hope you are enjoying it. I finished mine today. I think I am going to add some more embroidery blocks throughout the year to go with it. I can not wait to see your. Have a great weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. I don't know how you fit all these activities into one day, Melisa!! Just reading about them makes me need a nap--ha ha! Your mason jar blocks are so cute and the pickles look delicious. Hope you have an equally productive day tomorrow ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol that was a very busy day which made it a good day for me. Though I did not get any cross stitching completed if I had that would have made it better. Hee ! Hee! Dill pickles are on the agenda tomorrow. I hope you have an awesome weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. I love making jar quilts. One of my favorites had Halloween motifs in each jar and was such fun to find fabrics to use. Another one had Christmas panel pieces. Fun and quick and easy and decorative for holiday quilts. I saw one on a YouTube just yesterday that was made with scrap pieces and was adorable, too. I think I feel another one in my future! Thanks for sharing your way of doing it. They look wonderful. Also thanks for the cute little embroidery that goes with the great pickle canning. That's my favorite kind of pickle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how cute, Susan. Do you  mind if I copy your idea and make a Halloween jar quilt in the future?  I had never thought of that . How clever. And a scrap one but fabulous too. I can imagine using up a lot of crumbs.  I just finished up my "When Life Give you lemons " embroidery today so the pickle embroidery is next. Thank you for the sweet visit. PS. It has been raining all week here. I figured it was in your neck of the woods too. I hope you have been able to enjoy some quilting time. Hugs. 

      Delete
  16. My mama made awesome bread and butter pickles. They were good. My granny grew dill and made the dill pickles. Good memories! I love your mason jar blocks. One day I will make a mason jar quilt too! Looking forward to seeing your finish. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are such sweet memories, Brenda. I bet your mama's and granny's pickles were delicious too.It warms my heart that this brought back fond memories.  I was watching a video today on using fresh dill in making pickles. My crop of dill has not done well. Maybe next year. Lol Thank you for the sweet visit and have a great weekend. . Hugs. 

      Delete
  17. Lots of fun inspiration for us today! Stitching and piecing and cooking, Oh My! LOL Loved all of it! Bread & Butter pickles are the best! Your mason jar is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thank you so much, Ginny. I had a wonderful busy day that is for sure but I loved every minute of it. .I agree - I just love B & B pickles. Have a beautiful weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. All things pickle. What a hoot and yummy to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I just love it when a good theme comes together by accident. I have had a great week canning my veggies and working on my jar quilt. Thank you so much Gwyned for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  19. Those fresh cucumbers look so good, I can practically taste them! And I had to chuckle at "everything is better in a mason jar" because I use mason jars to store my prewound bobbins so I can see how many I have left. They ARE better in the mason jar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our garden is just starting to come in and we have been enjoying all of the tasty veggies this week.Lol I agree everything is better in a mason jar. Great idea on using them to store the prewound bobbins. Thank you so much for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  20. I am thinking you just have so much fun!!!! The pickles look great!! Canning season came fast to you? or is it normally this time of year? And your fabrics jars - Even cuter!!! Thanks for taking us along on your day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I try to stay busy that is for sure. I think our cucumbers came in pretty quick compared to last year . We have been enjoying them so much. We have a good garden this year thankfully. Thank you for the sweet visit, Alycia.

      Delete
  21. Wow, Melissa! Pickles already! Here in Nova Scotia (east coast, Canada), we barely have our seeds in the ground. They are being well watered, rain for the last 10 days. But that surely helps with the wildfires. Days of rain are great days for quilting! Thanks for sharing your mason jar blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best crop of cucumbers that we have ever had. I picked a basket of them yesterday and today. It is so good to hear that ya'll are getting the rain. I hope you have a great crop of them as well. It has been heartbreaking to hear about the fires and all of the smoke. Have a wonderful day and hope you have had a wonderful Canada Day. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

What To Do Tuesday