Blog Archive

Sunday, September 12, 2021

New Starts and Pumpkins- a Fall Freebie

Good afternoon, ya'll. It seems  here lately my posts are more in the evening than morning times .  I am still adjusting to the curve ball that has been thrown into my  family's  life . Ya'll have heard the expression when it rain it pours . Lol  . That is what has been going on lately. Many of you know that , I am still deeply  grieving the passing of my sister. I so appreciate all of the kind well wishes and for all of those who check in with me to see if I am ok. I am adjusting each day. Thursdays and Sundays are particularly hard, but hopefully the pain of those days will ease in time. 😌

Well let's talk about quilting and stitching.

 I  have a finish this week. This was a freebie from SubRosa Designs and can be found on her blog in the Dec. 21, 2015 post. Click here to visit. I used DMC 890 and 221. I hope to finish it soon and have it on the tree by Christmas.  Ooops!  An accident!  Lol Do you see the water stain? I'm ok with it - maybe it will not show up so much in the final finish. 😳😃😬

This week I started my mourning quilt for my dear sister, Amy. It is a a design by Gretchen Gibbons and is called Pennies From Heaven.

                  

This book was published in 2010 and has 8 companion projects.  I will try to show some of the other projects in future posts. 

 Normally, I would create my own design for a quilt ,  but when I saw this one , I thought it was perfect. 


                     

 Now, I am not doing mine in wool applique' - though I love the texture and the look ; it just wasn't in the budget right now.   But I do think I can create a nice quilt with some  good ole' needle turn applique with scraps from the bin .  

Block #1 is complete and is called Celebrate Life. 

This week I hope to work on Block #2. Prep work will begin today. 

I started a new stitch last night. It was a fast one. So I thought I would share it with you. It is called Pumpkins. I have not FFOd it. I hope you do not mind that I am sharing it before it is fully finished.  


I was originally going to finish it on the Dollar Tree arrow that I finished Sunflowers on.  I shared that design earlier. 



However, after much contemplation , I have decided to make Pumpkins into a pin pillow , because I can already imagine it tucked into a dough bowl with pumpkins. 




If you would like to stitch it, please check out the pdfs below. 

Many of you know , but I always like to leave this little disclaimer.  

I stitch my little designs for fun and to decorate my home. I feel very blessed by this community and love sharing my little charts, but I am not a professional designer. And I do not have professional software. Thank you for understanding that I  have to put each page on separate pdf downloads because of the devices I use. I apologize for that.  And I am always grateful for your kind encouragement , your visits, and stitching my little designs. 


Click here for instruction page. 

Click here for charts. 


Speaking of pumpkins, I bought my first fresh pumpkin for the season. The sign said it is  pie pumpkin. I have never seen a white pie pumpkin, but am anxious to try it.  Have you ever used a white pumpkin in a recipe before? I would love to know what you thought about it if you have. 


I thought I would leave you with a little recipe that I have been eyeing. 

Double Layer Pumpkin Spice Pie
Prep Time : 20 minutes
Total Time: 4 hrs 20 min. ( This includes refrigeration time. )
INGREDIENTS: 
4 oz of Philadelphia Cream cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon milk
1 Tablespoon of sugar
2 cups of thawed Cool Whip whipped topping, divided. 
1 6 oz. graham pie crust
2 Cups of cold milk
2 packages ( 4 serving size each) of Jell-O Pumpkin Spice Flavor Instant Pudding and Pie Filling

DIRECTIONS: 
Beat cream cheese, 1 T of milk and sugar in a large bowl until well blended. Gently stir in 1 cup  of whipped topping. Spread onto bottom of crust. 
Pour 2 cups of milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mixes and beat for 2 minutes or until well blended. ( Mixture will thicken.) Spread over cream cheese layer in crust. 
Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Top with the remaining 1 cup of whipped topping just before serving . Store leftover pie in refrigerator. 
Makes 10 servings. 

Now doesn't that sound delicious? Oh, my tummy is already rumbling. I think I have all of the ingredients so I do need to get busy. Lol. 
Well, I am off to piddle the rest of the evening away. Thank you so much for visiting and for all of well wishes. 
Big hugs and as always...

Happy quilting and stitching, ya'll. 
Melisa. 

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.  

      Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap

Frederique at  Applique Patchwork Quilting for Patchwork & Quilts #69

Beth at Love Laugh Quilt  for Monday Making

Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Lynette at What a Hoot!  for BOMs Away Monday

When life gives you pumpkins, make pie. 
Hugs and Stitches!!!

Dedicated to my sweet sister, Amy.  We had already made our fall decorating plans together. I miss and love you, Amo. 













44 comments:

  1. Your Celebrate Life block for the Mourning quilt is beautiful. I think this quilt celebrating your sister, Amy's life is going to look glorious with all your little scraps from your bin. A quilt spilling over with much beauty and beautiful heartfelt memories. Take care, lovely Melisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim. It is very comforting to work on it. It is her colors too. It is going to be a challenge but I am sure I will enjoy every stitch as think of Amy. Thank you again for the sweet visit and comment and happy quilting.

      Delete
  2. Sweet Melisa, Thank you for the recipe, now, I have to find that particular Jell-O !..Sounds delicious. Take as much time as you need, the process can not be rushed. Your Celebrate Quilt will help you do what is needed. Your little Christmas tree is so cute. Thank you for the Pumpkin stitch, you are the best! Hugs to you and you family. Many prayers are being said to help you in your journey, blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday, Mary. Thank you so so much for the kind words and support. You always brighten my day when I read your sweet comments. It warms my heart that you like my little pumpkin stitch; it was such a quick - no stress stitch. I hope you enjoy it. Big hugs and have a wonderful week , my dear.

      Delete
  3. I sew enjoy your posts and appreciate all you share with us. I think your tribute quilt will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jacqueline. That means so much to me. You make me feel so blessed. Thank you so much for visiting me and for always leaving the kindest comments. You make my day. I think I am going to really enjoy working on my new quilt. I started the applique on the 2nd block tonight. I hope you have a wonderful and blessed week, my dear. Big hugs.

      Delete
  4. I love the Celebrate Quilt. I hope it gives you some peace as you stitch it. I like it in wool but it is obvious from your first block it will also look terrific in cotton. Yikes, pumpkin pie time? I guess fall is starting to push in but it mostly feels like summer still here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Happy Sunday, Bonnie. Thank you so much for the kind words on my first block. It was a joy to work on each day this past week. I would love to create it in wool too, but someday. It has been a lot of fun pulling fabric today for the 2nd block .Lol it doesn't feel like pumpkin pie time here either. 91 degrees today. Lol. Have a wonderful week and happy quilting.

      Delete
  5. The memory quilt is going to be beautiful and hopefully a bit cathartic, too, as each stitch is made with love and lots of memories. Love all your little stitchings and how you find such unique ways to finish them off. Thanks for sharing your talents and love of crafting. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tammy. I have already begun block 2. It does bring me lots of peace and comfort as I work on it. I so appreciate your visit , Tammy and your kind words. Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  6. Your posts are heartfelt down to earth, inspiring to many, thank you. May you heal your grief with each stitch on your Amy tribute quilt. Am still saying prayers for you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the sweetest compliment, Jane. Thank you so much. I can not tell you how much your words of comfort and prayers mean to me. Working on Amy's quilt each day is bringing me a sense of peace . Have a blessed week, my dear and thank you again.

      Delete
  7. I’m so sorry to hear about your sister. May you find peace and comfort as you stitch your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words of comfort during this difficult time. It was an unexpected and devastating but the family is trying to stay strong. This little quilt is bringing me comfort as I work on it. It may take me awhile but I hope it will be one my sis would love. Thank you again, my dear.

      Delete
  8. Pennies from Heaven is beautiful, a good way to heal and remember your sister. Love the Christmas ccs, your stitcheries are always so lovely. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much,Gretchen. When I saw this quilt, I knew I had to create it for Amy. I am finding comfort as I work on this piece.Thank you again, Gretchen. Have a beautiful week.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness! Your memory quilt start took my breath away. Its beautiful and such a wonderful way to pay tribute to your sister. Your generosity with your free pattern creations is amazing and appreciated by many. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shelly. I was fell very fortunate that I was able to get the book and start on it. I have been working on the 2nd block today and am approaching a finish. I hope you enjoy Pumpkins. It was a very relaxing no stress stitch. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Your quilt to celebrate your sister is going to be beautiful and I pray that it brings healing and sweet memories with each stitch. Your new pumpkin stitch is a cutie. Since I am not a fan of pumpkin pie, I can’t weigh in on the white pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennie and I so appreciate your prayers. That means the world to me. Though I have just begun, I am finding comfort with each stitch. Have a blessed week and happy stitching.

      Delete
  11. Thinking of you. I can’t even imagine the shock and void in your heart right now. The quilt will be a nice healing project for you. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate you keeping me in your thoughts, Penny. Void is right. It feels as though there is a hole in my heart. It actually physically hurts . This quilt is providing comfort and peace in each stitch. It is an amazing design. Thank you again , sweet Penny. Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  12. I think your quilt is a wonderful idea in memory of your sister. I’m so sorry for your loss. I love that you share so many free patterns with us, you are so kind. I love the saltbox houses. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sandi for your words of comfort. I believe it will be a magnificent quilt when it is completed and I am already finding comfort with it even though I just begun. I am thrilled that you like my little designs. I feel very blessed by this community. Blessings and hugs.

      Delete
  13. What a sweet little finish, Melisa! And that quilt in memory of your sister, Amy, will be beyond beautiful. Wow! I can't even imagine tackling anything like that. I can't imagine how much your family must miss her and I do hope your handwork is helping you get through these sad days. Please stop by my blog--you won my giveaway and I need your address so I can get the chart off to you :)

    Take care now and I can't wait to hear how the white pumpkin pie turns out! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol. That little stitch was a fun one to work on. I can not wait to fully finish it. Hopefully soon. I fell in love with the quilt as soon as I saw it - it reminds me a lot of my sister and am enjoying each little stitch. Eeh! I am so excited to win your giveaway . Thank you so much. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Your Pennies from Heaven quilt start is lovely. Your pumpkin stitches is cute. Thank you for sharing the chart. Thank you also for the Pumpkin Spice Pie recipe. It sounds yummy. May your sewing and stitching give you peace during your difficult times. ... <3 Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pat. You are so kind. This quilt is going to be of great comfort to me. And you are so welcome on the little Pumpkin stitch . It was a quick no stress stitch. Happy quilting.

      Delete
  15. I've never purchased a white pumpkin~ is the inside white also? Can't wait to hear how your pie turns out. My family are all big fans of pumpkin pie, bars, etc. I am so happy fall is almost here! Your memory quilt is going to be beautiful~ full of love. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Sandie. I am not really for sure about the inside. I have yet to cut it, but I am anxious to try it out. I would love to get another pumpkin and maybe do some canning. My family's favorite is pumpkin rolls, but I do like to try to slip something different on them. Lol. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful memorial quilt for your beloved sister . May You find peace and comfort in your stitching . Your freebie is just adorable. And Thank you for your generosity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Linda. Though I have just begun, I am enjoying every minute working on this quilt and am finding comfort in it. I hope to finish block 2 today. Fingers crossed. Block 3 is a pretty one too. I hope you enjoy Pumpkins ; it was a fast stitch. Big hugs

      Delete
  17. Oh! Your little Christmas tree is so pretty! I bet that water won't even show up! Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your sister! Pennies from Heaven looks like it will be a wonderful way to remember her - especially with the two birds in the center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for the sweet visit and comment. I am hoping the water stain will not be as noticeable once I finish the little stitch. I so appreciate you words of comfort for my sister. That means a lot to me. Have a blessed week and happy quilting, dear.

      Delete
  18. Wow, Pennies From Heavenis going to be a lovely quilt. A beautiful memory quilt for your beloved sister.
    Thanks for sharing, and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Frederique. I fell in love with the quilt as soon as I saw it and knew it was perfect for my sister. Have a wonderful week , my dear and happy quilting.

      Delete
  19. Your Pumpkins stitch is adorable. Thank you! You have picked a beautiful quilt to make in Amy's memory, Melisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Robin. The little pumpkin stitch was a fast one. Pennies From Heaven is perfect for Amy . I look forward to working on it each day. I have been working on block 2 today. Have a wonderful week, Robin and happy stitching.

      Delete
  20. Thank you for sharing all your beautiful things. your quilt is going to be such a treasure and I hope it is filled with many happy memories of your dear sister. I am so so very sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Audrey. You are so very kind . I am enjoying each minute that I get to spend on this quilt even though I have just begun. It is bringing me peace and comfort. Have a blessed week dear and happy stitching.

      Delete
  21. Your new quilt start is a great way to remember your sister as you work on it. I like the design very much. Thanks for joining the Design Wall Mondays linky party. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Judy. This quilt is going to hold a special place in my heart as Amy did. It is a great design. Have a blessed week and happy quilting.

      Delete
  22. Melisa, please accept my heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your sister. I hope creating her memory quilt will help give you some peace and bring you comfort.
    Sincerely, Lisa in Lake Oswego, Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  23. What similar tastes we have in crafting! I have the book "Pennies from Heaven", thank you for reminding me! I'll plan to make the quilt in memory of my Mom, who passed in May 2021. I've already made "Among Friends", by Primitive Gatherings, in memory of my husband Mike. He passed in May 2018. I'm glad to have found your blog! Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday