Blog Archive

Friday, August 14, 2026

Gingerbread and Autumn Beginnings- A Fall Freebie

 It feels so so good to be back into the sewing room. 


Over the week , I sat down with a bunch of 2 1/2" scraps that I previously cut...



And worked on blocks for Melva's Sew Along called Lala's Irish Chain SAL.  



12 perfectly imperfect blocks pieced and a few more to go.  ( Don't look too carefully at my seams; I was off my game on this particular day. ) 


I am still waiting on a fabric order . A jelly roll awaits me to use for this quilt.  So I  am waiting on pins and needles. Hee! Hee! 

Meanwhile, I picked up this bundle of fabrics for a $1.00 at a yard sale. Soon they will be whittled down into 2 1/2" strips.  
Aren't they scrumptious? 


Excuse me a minute, while I do a Happy Jig for I have a finish!  💃💃💃

The blocks are framed with 2" finished squares. 


Yee Haw! Roll and Bake has its final borders. 

I added 4" borders.


With four patches as corner blocks made of 2 1/2" squares (unfinished). 
The photos are making the corner blocks look lighter than they are. 😏 Oh well...😀


Christmas fabric from the thrift store will make a perfect backing for Roll and Bake.

Backing fabric for Roll  and Bake. 


A new stitch is in the works, and  it is called Autumn Beginnings .


UPDATE:  August 21, 2026
Autumn Blessings is now finished. 🌻
These are the DMC  floss colors that I used for "Autumn Beginnings"  . 
FLOSS  : SYMBOL  MOTIF:
       DMC 610 ( U and T)       Border and pumpkin stem
DMC  782 ( Y)  Sunflower
DMC 3781 ( • )  Sunflower center
DMC 301 ( O) Pumpkin
DMC 919 (X) Pumpkin lines
DMC 730 ( G) Sunflowers stem and pumpkin leaf 



 Seeing Vicki's latest posts at Vicki's Crafts and Quilting certainly has got me in the fall mood. Did you see her gorgeous Maple Leaf quilt   and her Orange Pineapple and Stick and Stones quilts? Adorable!  Hmmm... I need to make a Stick and Stones. 

 Anywhoo.... Autumn Beginnings is just a simple stitch to wet my appetite for more fall stitching.  If all goes well, "Autumn Beginnings" should stitch up in two shakes of a lamb's tail. 

Autumn Blessings is a CHOOSE YOUR OWN COLORS chart. I will be stitching it in muted colors and will certainly update this post in the future with my floss colors and finish.

🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵

If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends. 

🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵








Well, that's what is going on in my neck of the woods on this fine sunny Friday. 

What are you up to? 

A Summer Display

As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"When you focus on the good , the good gets better.  "- Unknown

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤


Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy 
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needleworkers to meet. 

Jennifer at Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday  Wait Loss- Wednesday

Denise at For the Love of Geese for Put Your Foot Down- Thursday

Nina at Creations, Quilts, Art , Whatever by Nina for Off the Wall Friday

Alycia's of Alycia's Quilts for Finished of Not Friday

Michelle  at From Bolt to Beauty for Beauty Pageant - Friday

Joy at Days Filled with Joy for Home Matters

Gretchen at Gretchen's Little Corner for TGIFF


42 comments:

  1. Good Morning! I've skipped Fall and have one onto Christmas. I'm working on a couple of ornaments right now - actually your patterns - and have modified the a bit due to the sizes of Christmas trees of the recipients. The weather is still in the high 90's here so staying inside is the perfect excuse to stitch.
    I'm saving the patterns for LaLa's Irish chain quilt - I have a bunch of 2 1/2 inch squares that are calling my name. I did promise dh that I would not buy anymore fabric until I used my stash. This is a hard one! :-O! Yard sales with fabric is hard to find around here, including thrift shops. One day, though.... ;-) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday, Donna. Oh how fun that you are moving right along into Christmas stitching and gifts. You are on the stick. I really do need to do the same. I am so touched that you are stitching some of my little Christmas designs. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. LOL not buying fabric would be a hard one. Hee! hee! I keep trying to do the same thing but then I slip and fabric pops into my buggy. LOL. I wish you the most wonderful weekend. It is a hot one here too . Stay cool sweet friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear you are back in the sewing room! Thanks for the shout out:) Love those new fabric finds, great price on them too. Loving your new freebie stitch, I might have to start that one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw you are so welcome, Vicki. You truly have got me in the fall mood. I cannot get Sticks and Stones out of my head .Your fall quilts are so pretty. I hope you enjoy this little stitch. It is stitching up pretty quickly. Thank you for dropping by on this fine Friday. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. That yellow background for your Irish Chain project is lovely, Melisa! I love how Roll and Bake turned out, too. I stitched one of those blocks - it's still waiting to be finished. Your new fall design with the sunflower and pumpkin is right up my alley! But I did start something new last night - the sunflower mini sampler you shared the other day. I love stitching the alphabet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw I hope you enjoy the Sunflower mini sampler, Diann. Those little samplers were a lot of fun to share. I am still debating on my other color for the Irish Chain. The cheerful fabrics are making this a fun project. Have a great weekend and Happy quilting and stitching. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Alycia. It is a relaxing project to work on after being away from my sewing machine for a spell. I hope you have a lovely weekend in the sewing room . Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Hi Melisa hope you are feeling much better. Roll & Bake looks wonderful! Your yard sale fabrics are really pretty - lucky you. I love the Autumn Beginnings cross stitch, please let it be fall soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it is hot in your neck of the woods isn't it? I am with you . I am ready for a little cooler weather. Oh yes, I am feeling better with each passing day. I told myself I was done "resting' . Hee! Hee! But I am being careful and hubby is doing the lifting for me. Have a fabulous weekend and stay cool, Linda. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Great choices you found for your Lala quilt. Good for you getting the Gingerbread blocks to flimsy status. So sweet and ready for your special touch when the quilting starts. The latest stitch you've given to us is so pretty. Alittle bit late summer and a little bit of early Fall - perfect. Thanks so much. The red transferware(I think) teapot is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Ginny. I thought about going with country calicoes for the Irish Chain but since I just finished the log cabin in those, I went for the pastel happy colors. That was what I was thinking on the stitch- summer/fall. It is stitching up pretty quickly. Have a wonderful weekend . Warm summer hugs.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you are feeling better. I love Autumn Beginnings - I am starting on it today! So cute and I think it will be a fun stitch. Melva's SAL is looking good. The fabrics from the yard sale are great; I have a few of those fabrics in my stash LOL. The fabrics you chose for Roll and Bake look perfect. The gingerbread patterns are so cute. I have them on my project list. Thanks for Autumn Beginnings and the visit. Have a great day and weekend. Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw I hope you enjoy Autumn Beginnings, Alicia. Do keep me posted on your progress. I bet you will have it all stitched up in no time . I was over the moon to pick up a few fabrics at the yard sale the other day. I think her plan was to make pillow cases but she changed her mind. Have a wonderful weekend . Warm hugs.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love your taste in fabrics and patterns! And I so appreciate your talent as well! I enjoyed seeing all the beautiful things in your photos. I hope you are feeling better, dear Melisa. Bless your heart.
    And your blog header photo always, always makes me stare for a while and smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, dear Linda. I am feeling better as each day passes. Hubby built a rail on the steps to help me in getting up and down which is a blessing. You are always so sweet and uplifting. I cannot tell you how much that means to me. Have a blessed and beautiful weekend, Linda . Stay cool. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy to hear you are back in the sewing room and also stitching away. That little kitchen quilt is adorable! And so is the Autumn Beginnings chart. I'm thinking it would be a great road trip project. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels wonderful to be back to the machine, Jeanna even for just an hour or two. Autumn Beginnings stitched up pretty quickly. I need to FFO it now. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Que belleza y en la primera fotografía veo un helado de nieve, que hermoso es, lo tienes en este blog?
    Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much , dear. You are so very kind. I haven't made a pattern for the little pincushion. I might have to do that in the near future. Thank you so much for asking about it. I created it a few years ago. I do need to make a new one. I wish you a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Fall is in the air here this morning, too, Melisa--only 59 degrees and feels so nice and cool after this Summer's scorching heat waves...time to begin switching out into my Fall quilts, I think...
    Your fabrics to be cut into strips is so pretty--Glad to hear you are feeling well enough to get back to your crafting and sewing now. hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, 59 degrees sounds delightful, Julierose. A good time to sit on the deck and work on some slow stitching. Oh yes, I am feeling much better. It is good to be back to the machine that is for sure. Enjoy that cool weather, Julierose. I wish I was there with you. LOL . Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Even though I love summer and I don't want it to end, it's lovely to begin so see things for the fall. I love your new Autumn Beginnings stitch, it symbolizes pretty well the beginning of the season. By the way, I'm in the middle of the AutumnStampSAL, at last! I hope I can finish it in time for the fall season and before I leave for a week for vacations. I'm so excited and also I'm wondering if you will do a Stamp SAL for Halloween? I will also try to do the borders and header you shared last year in case you start one, I really loved those designs!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree, Diana. Though the temperatures can be sweltering, I do enjoy the summer time, but Fall is a pretty time of the year as well with all of the autumn colors. I hope you are enjoying the Autumn Stamp SAL , Diana. I am so very grateful that you are stitching it. I actually pulled out my Halloween Stamp project bag the other day. I may have to work on creating some new stamps and work on creating the large sampler as a SAL that would be fun. You have given me an idea. Thank you for bringing a smile to my day. Warm hugs.

      Delete
  13. You have some very fun projects in the works. Looking forward to seeing what your new fabric haul is going to become, you have some very fun fabrics to play with. Enjoy your stitching time and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Kate. My fabrics just arrived though . I look forward to seeing if I can incorporate some of them in my Irish Chain. I cannot wait to show them. Have a beautiful day, sweet friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Love your finish on Roll and Bake. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Janice. You are so very kind. I just put it in the hoop . I think it will quilt up quickly. Have a beautiful and blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Hope you are mending well, friend. It's good to see you back in the sewing room. I love your gingerbread finish! It's sew cute! Have fun, stay cool, and take good care of yourself. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Brenda. I am feeling a whole lot better and being in the sewing room certainly lifted my spirits. Have a wonderful week and thank you for stopping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Autumn Beginnings just popped out of my printer!!! Though for some reason--I started a new Christmas cross stitch this week--and I have a couple of yours in line to do--and I know there is some Fall ones to do--oh do not let us forget Mrs. Claus that I am working on--oh--deary me--maybe I need to stop quilting and just do Cross stitching!!!!! Love all your decorating you have been doing--I am 'planning' on doing my Bee decorating next week and start the change over from Spring/summer to Fall and winter!!!! keep those needles flyin and thanks for the newest pattern--hugs, di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Di , I am always in awe at how much you get done throughout the week on all kinds of projects. You are such an inspiration to me. You have so many wonderful projects in the works and I am so honored that you have included some of my humble designs. I hope you will share your bee decor. It is always exciting to see your pretties on display. Thank you for the sweet visit. Warm hugs and many blessings.

      Delete
  17. That embroidery is gorgeous!
    Thanks for sharing
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, dear Isabel. You are always so kind and uplifting. I wish you a wonderful and productive week. Warm hugs .

      Delete
  18. Your “Roll and Bake” finish is absolutely adorable, and those yard-sale fabrics are such a wonderful find. “Autumn Beginnings” is a beautiful way to welcome the new season, especially with the lovely pumpkin and sunflower touches. Thank you for sharing the free pattern and all your inspiring quilting and stitching projects. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw shucks thank you so much. I am thrilled to be heading Roll and Bake towards a finish. It has been waiting in the wings way too long. I hope to FFO Autumn Beginnings this week ; I am itching to begin decorating for fall. LOL. Have a blessed day and thank you again for the sweet visit and kind compliment. Hugs.

      Delete
  19. The new autumn stitch is pretty, Melisa. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Robin. It has been a fun stitch to work on and share. I wish you a lovely start to the week. We had some rain move in which may head your way. Warm hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  20. Roll n Bake is adorable! And your autumn stitch is sooooo beautiful. Can't wait to see the floss colors you choose. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2026/08/12/wednesday-wait-loss-497

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Jennifer. It feels good to be moving, Roll and Bake along . It has been sitting in the UFO pile way too long. Have a great week and Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  21. Roll and bake is soooo sweet! I have yet to start on Lala's.. maybe this weekend...
    Thanks for joining in on Home Matters Linky Party! I will be featuring your post this week! #HomeMattersParty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw Joy, I am so honored. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I look forward to visiting this week's Home Matters . There is always so much fun and inspiration being shared. Have a beautiful and blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

A Sunny Sunflower Parade - 2026