Blog Archive

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Keeping Company in the Quilt Room

 Cock- A - Doodle  Do! Rise and Shine, Sunshine!

 

We need to head to the quilt room. I have a whole lot of fun going on in there, and I just would love your company as I sit and work. Hmmm ... I even have an extra rotary cutter - maybe I can put ya' to work. Hee! Hee! 

First off the quilt blocks!  Earlier this summer, dear Penny sent me a Blessing box filled with beautiful treasures including  a number of quilt blocks made by her Great Aunt Leona. One set of blocks were a gorgeous grouping of sweet calicoes that were foundation pieced on muslin in the log cabin design.

Each block has the most lovely and unique fabrics. I have been oohing and aahing over the prints. 

Penny's Great Aunt foundation pieced the log cabin blocks. 

Great Aunt Leona  pieced 26 blocks.  One block was already machine quilted-so so pretty , but  way beyond my skill level. ( I never learned to machine quilt.😏 )  So I am going to bind it and use it as a small quilt to display throughout the house. 

Now to the task at hand-  making sure all of the blocks are squared and trimmed. Do you mind giving me a hand?  I will let you use the pretty Pioneer Woman rotary cutter- it is extra special. 

Roll, Snip, Cut

25 more blocks to go! 


Save those trimmings. I will use those later. 


In fact, I used this measuring bowl of scraps the other day to stuff , stuff , stuff my cross stitch berry which I shared with you . Did you see that berry? Well, let me show it to you again. 😀😊

The basket was stitched in blues . My sweet sis had beautiful gray blue eyes. 


I stuffed the berry very tightly with the scraps. It made the berry heavy . I used my hands to smooth out any lumps and bumps that the scraps created in the stuffing process. It gives the berry a different feel than using sawdust or polyfil. But enough of that - we are quilting! Hee! Hee! 

Eeeh! Stop the presses . Did you notice the scrumptious purple calico as you were trimming? 

Oh my ! How gorgeous! 💜💜💜


Hmmm.... While you are trimming, I will press and then play with some designs on the "design floor" . Or would you rather do that? Either one is fine with me. 

Oh, very interesting. 

Playing with arranging the blocks.

Still moving and grooving the blocks around. 

Hmmm... I think a block is out of order. 

Oh how about this?! Oooh, I like it!  How about you? 


Well, let's stew on it for a spell, and then I will get to work sewing the blocks.
 Meanwhile, how about we head to the kitchen and whip up a little bit of egg salad for dinner. You just sit back and enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of iced tea, and I will get our lunch together. 

Dilly Egg Salad Recipe

8 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and chopped
1/4 cups of mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1/4 cup of celery, minced.
2 Tablespoons of green onion, minced
2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
2 teaspoons of white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS: Combine all ingredients; mix well and chill until serving time. Spread egg salad evenly on your favorite sliced breaded add lettuce and enjoy! 


I am so very grateful, that you dropped by to help me in the quilting room today. It made the task light and extra special to know that I was not alone. And sweet Penny, thank you for blessing me with such  beautiful treasures from your Great Aunt Leona.  I look forward to moving this quilt along. I just hope I can do it justice for your Great Aunt Leona did such beautiful work. I am ever so grateful. 

Thank you for the sweet Saturday  visit, Sweeties! Love ya'! 😘
Now let's fill our bellies full! 

May your day be filled with beautiful scraps of fabric to wrap you in love and happiness! 😁💙💚💛💜❤



As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of all of the world.  "- John Evelyn

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy 
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻


 Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!

🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.
🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.  
🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 
🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade for 2025 A parade of sunflower freebies up to July 24, 2025
🌞Pumpkin, Leaves and Autumn Please- A Fall Parade 2025 A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 8, 2025.
🌞 A Stomping Stamp Parade 2026  A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to June 2, 2026

🌞Time to Dye-  2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim. 
🌞A Spooky Parade - Halloween freebies up to October  4, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed  this date. 
🌞A Christmas in July Parade of Past Freebies- 2026 A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of July 6, 2026. More Christmas Freebies followed this date. 
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025
🌞Let's Dye Some Fabric- A tutorial on my process of dyeing Aida 


A beautiful card sent by Penny. 

UPDATE ON APPLE JAM JAR: 
Yesterday, I shared a CHOOSE YOUR OWN COLOR chart for the Apple Jam Jar. Well after much debate, I decided to stitch mine in muted colors and settled on 3 red apples rather than a variety of colors. BUT I am stitching each apple in a different red. So here are my floss colors thus far. I will keep you posted on what other colors I choose as I come to them. 



DMC 414 (O) Mason Jar lid 
DMC 3371 ( • )  Jar     
DMC 3721 ( R) 1st apple on the bottom      
DMC 355 (R) 2nd apple on the bottom
DMC 610 (V) Apple stem
DMC  640 (P)  Quilt star in the apples

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Keeping Company in the Quilt Room