Monday, April 29, 2024

Whatcha Ma' Call It Block

Rise and Shine, Sweet Peas!!!!! Grab a mug of your favorite beverage and  a few fabrics .

Let's head to the quilt room to work on a block- I am calling it the Watcha Ma Call It Block. It's an easy peasy lemon squeezy block, but oh so cute! 

I have 3 fabrics chosen though a scrappier look would look amazing as well.  

Below is the instructions for just 1 block. I strip pieced some of my units to make it even quicker. 

🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

         INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONE BLOCK
UNFINISHED SIZE 15 1/2"    

FINISHED SIZE 15"

CUTTING

From RED FABRIC - Cut 2  strip  2" X WOF ( width of fabric)

From WHITE FABRIC- Cut 2 strip 2" X WOF ( width of fabric)

From BLUE FABRIC- Cut 9 -   3/12"x 3 1/2" squares

DIRECTIONS ( Use 1/4" seam allowance) 

1. Placing right sides together , take a  Red and  a White  2" strips and sew down the length of the strip. Press toward red.  REPEAT for the other red and white strips. 

2. From this unit Subcut  4- 3 1/2 " squares  AND 4  9 1/2" strips.  ( You will have a fabric left over. ) 

3. Arrange 5 of the blue squares and the 4  RED/WHITE squares which was created in STEP 2 into a 9 patch as shown below. Piece and Press .

Now is it just me or isn't that nine patch  just as cute as a button ? 

4. Now take your remainder blue squares and your 9 1/2" strips and arrange around the nine patch as shown.  Piece and Press

5. Wahlah!!! Your Watch ma Call It Block is complete. πŸ˜€ You know what that means don't ya? Get up and do the Happy Dance!!!! Come on  you know you want to!!!

🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

Alrighty Sweeties,  now I have a question. What is the real name of this block?  This ole' gal does not have a clue.  I saw it on Pinterest and made up my own measurements .I will be making 10 blocks  to go along with 10 applique blocks I am working on. 

Thank y'all so much for joining me in the quilt room today.  I  guess I better get on the stick and finish the other 9 blocks. If ya ' want to stick around, just grab the rotary cutter, and I will grab the ruler and we will go to town cutting up a storm.

✀  ✀  ✀  ✀  ✀  ✀  ✀  ✀  ✀ ✀  ✀  ✀  

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

The more I know, the more I know that I don't know. -Socrates

Hugs and Stitches!!!!πŸ€—πŸ§΅❤

πŸ¦‹ Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. I miss and love you so much, Amo. I send my love with butterfly kisses. πŸ¦‹



24 comments:

  1. It's the Whatchamacallit block or little quilt. ROFLOL I don't care what it's called because I'm in love with it. Just send it to me and you won't have to fret about it. See 'easy peasy lemon squeezy'. More ROFLOL

    Thank you for inviting us into your sewing room. I had a wonderful time and hope to visit again soon.
    Happy Monday!!!! Darlene J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday, Darlene! LOL. I had a great time piecing this block. Don't you just love those easy peasy blocks? Hee! Hee! Wish you were here sewing along with me. Have an awesome day. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Your quilt block is very pretty! I guess we need a quilt block identifier app, like the flower or leaf ones that people use. Hmmm maybe I should invent that . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great invention, Linda. I bet it would be put to great use as well. Lol. I certainly would use it. Thank you so much for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. That is a cute block, the white flowered background is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Vicki. I sure wish I had more yardage of that fabric. I have fallen in love with it. Enjoy your day. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. What an adorable quilt block--I love its simplicity and I've book marked your directions--I will try making one for a small wall quilt for my "over the tv" hanging spot...thanks so much hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the simple blocks as well. I hope you enjoy this one. It would be so cute as a wall hanging.

      Delete
  5. Is it a Puss in the Corner with sashing, maybe? whatever it is, I call it cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that just may be it; I had not even thought about Puss in the Corner. Thank you so much for the name and for the sweet visit. Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Aaaw thank you so much Isabel. I enjoyed working on this block. I hope to get more completed soon. Enjoy your day. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Sweet block! I can see how the strip piecing really makes it come together quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much. I love to strip piece if I can. Hopefully I will have all the blocks completed very soon. Thank you for dropping by for a visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. This first block of your planned quilt looks so pretty, Melisa! Makes me think even I could do it--ha ha! I've never made a quilt, but always admired them (and their makers!) so much! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah thank you so much, Carol. As talented as you are you would have no trouble piecing this block. Have a wonderful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. That's a sweet block - I love the pretty fabrics, Melisa! I wish I knew a name for it, but I'm not coming up with one. Can't wait to see what you're making with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Diann. I am anxious to finish the blocks so I can move this project along. Enjoy your day. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Sorry, but I don't know the name but we can call it Melisa's Block. In days gone by, this is how the same block became known by different names. Your fabric choices are very pretty. Have we seen the applique' blocks that will go with them? Can't wait to see where it goes next! Your coreopsis is such a spot of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah I would love to have a block named after me. Lol. This block has been a fun one to work on. I am going to pair them with the butterfly blocks that I appliqued in January. I can not wait to see how they pair up together. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  11. Hi again! I keep meaning to mention when you show it, the little blue planter-turned-pincushion and how much I love it! I have a couple of those planters (different styles) and I plan on making pincushions, too. They are beyond cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister gave me that little planter a few years ago. I used to be able to find them for a song, but now they are hard to find and when I do find them they are expensive. I have been wanting to make a small one out of a little tractor . Wouldn't that be cute ? I hope you enjoy transforming your little planters into pincushions soon. Thank you , sweet Ginny. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Great tutorial. I'd love to hang out in your sewing room :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Jeanna. I bet we would have a ball. We might not get much stitching or quilting done for I bet we would chat the day away. Lol. Hugs

      Delete

Popular Posts

Wordless Wednesday - Visiting The Mennonite Community