Monday, April 22, 2024

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday

It is another beautiful Monday here in the holler. Welcome y'all. Is your week off to a marvelous start? I sure hope so. It is supposed to be  cooler today , and  no rain is in sight so that will be nice.  The oldest grandson had a wonderful birthday celebration yesterday. He celebrated in true Hogwarts style with a Harry Potter themed party. 


 Thank you for the sweet birthday wishes.  

Are you ready for another tale from the road? 

One evening while camping , Mr. Pinker and I made a "supply stop" at Wally World aka Walmart. After getting a small but expensive supply of "off brand items" , we made our way back to Big Red (the truck) and ole raggedy Annie (the camper). Normally, Mr. Pinker loads the groceries on his side of the truck, but he opened the  back door on the passenger side . Soon I heard a "Grumble Grumble!"  

"Oh dear. What's wrong?" I asked. 

"I am afraid I will break these. " I turned around to see him adjusting my quilt hoops which were placed in a strategic position and spot for their safe keeping.  "Darlene's Quilt" was in the large hoop and after giving a quick glance it looked like all was well. 

Soon we were trucking down the road to the next camping spot- a lovely site in the woods along  Brazo River.

 It was not until 2 days later that I went to the back of the truck and pulled out Darlene's quilt which was snuggly placed in my favorite 18" hoop. Soon I sat down for some Monday morning stitching. 

After stitching one block, it was time to move the hoop. As I loosened the hoop and moved my fingers around the band, I felt a slither of wood giving away. "Hmmmm. Yoo hoo , Mr. Pinker , dear What did you do?" 

Mr. Pinker was sitting beside me. He looked at the the quilt hoop. "I don't think I did anything," as he looked at the hoop with a worrisome look.  I am sure the grocery loading scenario was being replayed in his mind.  He quickly got up and went to the camper in search for super glue.  A few minutes later he came back with Elmer's glue and gorilla tape. Eeeh! ๐Ÿฆธ Mr. Pinker to the rescue . ๐Ÿฆธ❣ He took the poor bedraggled hoop into the "emergency room" aka  picnic area to repair .   

Meanwhile I pulled out   Love Letters ,  a free quilt design by  Kathleen Tracy of  A Sentimental Quilter which was posted as a Quilt Along in February of 2023.   I put Love Letters into the small hoop and diligently worked on it. Soon an envelope was quilted. 

When it was time to quilt the center block, I drew out a heart as a template from a piece of  scrap paper .

 I pinned the heart in place and stitched around it. Easy Peasy!  

 In the coming days, I planned to work on the border.  

If you are interested in this quilt, please visit Kathleen's blog where the steps are still available.   Step 1 , Step 2, and Step 3

   Shortly afterwards, Mr. Pinker returned back to our chairs with the hoop in hand.

"Your quilt hoop is fine and dandy! " It was sporting a black bandage and looked quite happy to be repaired.  . I set it aside to dry for a few days. 

"Thank you ,dear, " I said . "I will take care of the groceries next time. " I  jokingly said with a grin. 

"Sounds like a plan, " said Mr. Pinker. "How about I take care of dinner for you now? "  

Eeeh ! Mr. Pinker to the rescue again. "Aaaah, thank you Mr. Hoop Breaker ; you are a gem."

  A few days later Darlene's Quilt was back in the hoop, and the quilting commenced. All's well that ends well. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ’—

Well that's another tale from the trip. Can you tell that Mr. Pinker is one of my biggest supporters on my quilting and stitching ventures? I am so fortunate.  I really did not blame Mr. Pinker for the hoop breaking; it is just one of those things that happen. LOL. 

This is a view of how we set up camp. The kayak was strapped to the steps and scooted over so we could open the door and climb up the steps to the roof when needed. Because I had trouble getting up and down  the camper steps, we found a cinder block while on the road that I could step on. I bet you guessed that I am not a tall gal. 

Now tell me have you ever broke a quilt hoop? I have broke a few in my days, but I always try to repair them. How do you make repairs? 

Well , Sweeties, "Darlene's quilt" is still in the works so I better get to quilting. May you day be filled with joy , happiness and loads of crafty fun!!!! 

As always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, ya'll

Melisa

Do one thing everyday that makes you hapy

Hugs and Stitches!!!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿงต❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy. . Love and miss you., Amo ❤❤❤

These are a couple of my thrifty finds from Texas. Now tell me. Who can resist a vintage red sewing box? Not me!

28 comments:

  1. I had one of those vintage boxes in an olive greenish color. I don't remember what happened to it. Since I don't quilt, I have never broken a quilting hoop. Your quilting projects look fabulous, Melisa. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those little sewing boxes are quite handy. I have my Nanny's mustard yellow one. I remember the olive green ones too. I had never seen a red one so I was thrilled to find it. Thank you so much, Robin. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I had a quilting hoop like yours - unfortunately, it was poorly made so it gave out splinters. Switched to plastic. Loving Darlene's Quilt. Sometimes the simplest blocks make the most unforgettable quilts! I love that you hand quilt them. How long have you been working on this one? I've only hand quilted a couple and "graduated" to stitch in the ditch and straight line, mostly due to time constraints.
    Oh and I have the same problem with our RV. What is it about those first few steps? LOL!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I flip flop from quilt hoop to quilt hoop but I do have some favorites. I seem to gravitate to the round hoops more than the ovals. I was glad this one could be repaired. I just started quilting on this quilt in March while on the trip so I am surprised by how much I was able to complete . Lol. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  3. Glad Mr. Pinker came to the rescue AND got dinner for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I am too and dinner was delicious. I think men are better cooks. Hee ! Hee! Well at least mine is better than I am . Thank you for the sweet visit, Linda. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. (Little Penpen) your stories are the cutest. I’ve always wanted to camp. I wonder if I can talk hubby into buying an old raggedy Annie? Happy Birthday to your cute grandson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw you are the sweetest, Penny. Thank you so much, Oh it would be so wonderful if you had you a raggedy Annie camper too. Camping is a lot of fun. Thank you so much for the sweet visit and for the sweet birthday wishes. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Such a pretty quilt--Darlene's!! Love the soft colors in this one.
    Glad to hear your DH fixed up your hoop for you...In our house, electrical tape and gorilla glue are the big fixer-uppers!!:)))
    I am plugging away at my Christmas Ojos (maybe it will get done for this year's holidays?)
    Four more blocks and borders left to quilt. How much quilting do you usually plan to do on your borders? I just wonder how close to the edges i should work....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Julierose. Oh yes, electrical tape is a must have in any tool box . I do need to invest in some gorilla glue for mine. I hope you have made a lot of progress on your Christmas Ojos. It sounds like you are nearing a finish your self. I have added a cable design to my border. I always have to keep in mind the allowance for the binding. Borders give me the devil. Lol. Have a great evening in the quilt room. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Lucky your husband is a handyman and was able to fix it!!!!
    Beautiful details you share today.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I was so happy that he was able to fix it with what he had on hand. I was able to continue quilting not long afterwards. I hope you are having a great weekend, Isabel. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Mr. Pinker is definitely a keeper! A handyman and a willing cook?! Wonderful! How long have you two been together? I have never broken a hoop, but I am not the avid hand quilter that you are. Thank you so much for the Love Letter QAL. I am making holiday wallhangings for my daughter's entry and I think this will be a very adaptable pattern for Valentine's Day. I am shooting for 3 holidays for this year's Christmas gift. I am a HP nerd, too. I can't count the times I've read the books and watched the movies. Does he have a wand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I feel very fortunate to have Mr. Pinker. We are approaching our 32 wedding anniversary very soon. It is hard to believe. My how time flies. Love Letters would be a great wall hanging for your daughter and it pieced up quickly. I hope you enjoy working on it as much as I did , Ginny. Oh yes, the little one has the HP wand . One year he dressed up like HP and was as cute as a button. On his birthday, my daughter had the movie playing in the background. He had a grand day. Thank you for the sweet visit, Ginny. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  8. I am in awe of Mr. Pinker's resourcefulness and supportiveness! What a gem AND he cooks! What a cool find of the vintage sewing box. I love reading stories about your trip!-TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel blessed to have Mr. Pinker. The quilt hoop is just fine now and I haven't had any problem since he fixed it and supper that night was yummy! LOL. Hubby is a great cook. Thank you for the sweet visit, Terry and for bringing a smile to my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. So glad you were able to make repairs. It's amazing what you can do with a little glue and some tape. The envelope quilt is really cute, is it finished now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little glue and tape goes a long ways doesn't it ? Lol. I finished all of the quilting on Love Letters and now I just have to bind it. Hopefully, I can accomplish that this week. Thank you for the sweet visit, Kate. Happy Quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Cute story about the hoop. I can't wait to see Darlene's Quilt fully quilted. It's so stinkin' cute! LOL Darlene J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, Darlene. I am glad the hoop could be repaired. I was able to get a lot of quilting completed on your quilt afterwards. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. I love hearing about your camping adventures and seeing how you set up camp! Mr. Pinker sounds a lot like my Chicken Legs - they are definitely both keepers!! Shoot, after almost 47 years, I don't have time to train another one! LOL LOL Cool finds on your Texas shopping trip. Looking forward to seeing Darlene's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Brenda you sound just like me! I wouldn't want to train another would you? Hee! Hee! I think we both found our soul mates. Thank you for the giggles and sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Wow! Camping and kayaking, what a combination. Looks like a perfect getaway!. And you get to take your quilting with you. What more could you want? Especially appreciated is your husband! What a trooper he is! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had an awesome time. This was our 1st time taking the kayak with this rig so my kayak had to stay home , but hubby had a great time on the rivers and better yet, I enjoyed my quilting time. Hee! Hee! . Thank you so much , dear for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. My “vintage sewing box” is green. It was a Christmas present from my grandparents when I was a teen - probably about 55 years ago. I still have it in my sewing room, but don’t use it much anymore. Just look at it when I’m sewing! I got my love of sewing and making from my grandmothers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah such a sweet memory and what a treasure to still have your sewing box- that makes it even more special. I bet you have many fond memories sewing with your grandmothers. Thank you for sharing such a heart warming memory. I still remember sewing with my Nanny . There is nothing like a grandmother's love is there? Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  14. Happy Belated Birthday. Glad Mr P could fix your hoop on the road. I found a little sewing box like yours at an antique store a couple years ago. I couldn't resist it, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you so much, dear. He had an awesome birthday! Eeh I am so glad that you found a box like this as well. Boxes like these are too cute to leave behind that is for sure. I am so glad one found the perfect home with you. Happy sewing and thrifting. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

What To Do Tuesday