Sunday, August 8, 2021

Junk Drunk

Good evening, ya'll!  I  have to admit that I have been a stranger on IG and my blog this past week. But I have  been on cloud nine visiting one yard sale after another on the  World's Longest Yard Sale.

 It was such a fun week especially since I did not get to go shopping last year .  I have to confess that I am junk drunk. 😀 I did find a bunch of goodies. Old, rusty, crusty and a bit dirty, but that doesn't matter to me. 

The most I spent on an item was $8.00 for this cupboard. The owner told me it came from an old country store and was a display shelf for bread. I would leave it all roughed up and prim , but my girls thinks it needs to be painted. Lol. 

                    

 One gentleman was selling his mother's McCoy and cookie jar collection. I got a few pieces for a quarter up to a couple of dollars.  

Sorry for the poor photo. 

 I was jumping for joy when I got this large sampler at a church yard sale.  Do you know who the designer is? I would love to know more about it. The frame is huge , so I am going to have to reframe it. 

                  

And a junk haul would not be complete without me finding some old tins.Eeeeh ! Look at the Charles Chips tin!!!

                   

 I am dreaming of a small fall tree in it. 

So what do you think?  I think I did pretty good this year. 

 Earlier today we had a back to school bash for the kiddos.

 I can not believe how early they are going back , but the grandkids are anxious to see their friends which is a good thing. 

Lots of good food was made by my sister and her hubby . 

                  

Shrimp, BBQ, hamburgers, stuffed peppers and lots of sides.  Yum Yum!

                 

After dinner, the kids went out to the field to help with the pick up of the square hay bales, and then off to the river where they went to fish. They rounded out the evening with a dip in the pool. Such a great day. 

Later this evening, I found myself  in a comfy chair ready to  bind a little quilt. 

                 

After more that 10 years, I finally am sitting down to bind this little wall hanging called "Family is Everything". It will be completed in no time flat- well at least I hope so. It is made from homespun and gifted fabrics. 

It will look so cute in the downstairs living room come fall time. 

It has been awhile since I have shared with you my "Hart to Hart " stitch .That is the cross stitch that I work on as I watch the 1980's television show "Hart to Hart" . I work on it Monday- Friday for about an hour which eases me along and allows me to slowly enjoy it. For the last few weeks , the stitch has been  Tree of Life Samplings "Beauty and Grace". I have made some mistakes but I love it anyway. A few more episodes and I think it will be done. 


I started a new cross stitch piece earlier this past week. It is an autumn piece that I hope to finish and share soon. 


Strips have been cut for a new small quilt. It is going to be another red, white and blue one. 


I hope to share this little quilt soon. 

Well, the big yard sale is  over, the grandkids are going back to school, and I guess it is time for me to get back into my routine. I hope more stitching and quilt time , but we will see.  Thank you my dear friends for stopping by for visit.  It is always such a joy. As always...

 Happy quilting and stitching, ya'll

Melisa

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet.  


      Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap

Beth at Love Laugh Quilt  for Monday Making
Judy at Small Quilts Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Lynette at What a Hoot!  for BOMs Away Monday


I've always loved the first day of school better than the last day of school. First are best because they are new beginnings.

Hugs and Stitches!


22 comments:

  1. You have found some fabulous treasures, Melisa while you have been out and about at the World's Longest Yard Sale. Love the display shelf, and so cheap. You must be one happy junker. The Sampler is lovely. Wow, you certainly know how to celebrate the kids going back to school in style. The feast looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim. We always look forward to this event each August. You never know what you might find. I had originally thought about putting the display shelf in my quilt room. I can imagine pretty fabrics or quilts on it. Have a wonderful week, dear

      Delete
  2. You scored some amazing deals. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sharon.I was delighted with what we found. We mainly went to individual sales where items are a lot cheaper.lol. Have a great week and thank you so much for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  3. I used to watch Hart to Hart back in the day, I enjoyed the show! Your stitching is beautiful! Family is everything will look very nice displayed this fall. I think after having to learn from home in 2020, the children really appreciate being in school instead of staying home with their parents as teachers. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday, Gretchen and thank you so much for the sweet visit. I love watching the older shows and Hart to Hart is a favorite along with Murder She Wrote. Lol. I agree I think the kids will enjoy being at school with their teachers and friends. Have a lovely week.

      Delete
  4. Great way to celebrate the beginning of school! I like to have a stitching or knitting project to work on while I watch tv too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday,dear. The grandkids had a fabulous day. I can not believe it is already school time, but fortunately my grandkids love school and were ready to go back. Hope you have a fabulous week and happy quilting.

      Delete
  5. Love Hart to Hart! I miss the state to state yard sales - there are so many of them!
    As usual, your stitching is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday, Donna. I hope your day is off to a great start. I love Hart to Hart too and all the older tv shows. I wish they still made good shows like that. lol. Thank you so much for the sweet visit and hope you have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  6. I think the Sampler is by The City Stitcher, but not totally sure. What incredible finds that you came home with, Melisa. Your Hart to Hart piece is looking good. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Robin. I will have to look that up. Lol I may even have it in my stash ,but don't remember. It is framed beautifully but the frame is huge. I cannot wait to get it reframed. Have a great day , my dear.

      Delete
  7. You found some awesome finds. How lucky you are. I just want to tell you, I love seeing you in my mail, you just make me smile. I love reading your blog, it’s like hearing from a good friend. Thanks for sharing with us all your awesome charts, they are great. You have a wonderful day and will see ya later. ♥️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning and happy Monday, Patti. You always make me smile when you leave the sweetest uplifting comments. Thank you so much, dear. You warm my heart and give me encouragement. I hope you have a blessed day. Big hugs!

      Delete
  8. https://www.countrystitching.com/American-Coverlet-14-x-18_p_66.html Your sampler is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Karen for the info. I was thrilled when I found this cross stitch. It is a big one and I hope to find the perfect place for it soon. I am so excited to learn a little more about it. Have a great day and thank you for the sweet visit.

      Delete
  9. "Country Stitching is a mail order manufacturer of Sampler Kits in Willow Grove, PA. We specialize in original stamped adaptations of Antique Needlework Samplers. Our designs are all cross stitch,clearly printed on Imported Linen, complete with floss, needle, color face sheet and instructions. We continue the tradition of Heirloom Samplers, complimented by a collection of Alphabet and Folk Art pieces that will capture your heart and home." - from their website

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, nice haul! The small quilts look ADORABLE in the toy truck. Love the samplers. and the Back to School bash looks like it was delicious and fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Lynette. I was so excited with all of the thrifty treasures and lol I will put a quilt anywhere. I have a fondness for trucks especially patriotic ones. Have a fabulous day, my dear.

      Delete
  11. Jealous of your junkin, Cheryl!! One of these days, I would love to take in (a portion of) that yard sale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard that term, "junk drunk," Cheryl -- but there are worse things you could be drunk from! Looks like you found some neat treasures. I especially like the cupboard! Your needlework is beautiful as ever and I'm looking forward to seeing your quilt progress. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to do at least part of that yard sale. I never have. When we were full-timing would have been perfect, but we never seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Chicks and Bunnies Easter Hutch Tour