Sunday, December 27, 2020

Peppermint Twists , Quilt Happenings and a Free Winter Doodle

 Busy , busy, busy! That is how I would describe the week.  Not only with all the Christmas and family fun, but with a little bit of stitching and quilting as well.  I bet you have been a busy elf as well. 



All through the week, I worked on quilting a small quilt called Peppermint Twists.  It is composed of little hour glass blocks.  Though I just used 3 fabrics in this quilt , it sure is bright and cheerful and will be perfect in my summer decor and of course I will use it in my Christmas vignettes next year too. 


I usually work on this quilt when I go visit mom or while I am waiting for photos to download onto the computer. I have been working on it this Sunday hoping to get all of the blocks hand quilted so I can move on to the border . 

This time of the year is perfect to work on a little snowman quilting. Last year I completed this snowman quilt made from strips of shirtings. 



  Well I wanted another one. Scraps of whites were pulled out of the bin and into the old enamalware pot to choose from. 

   


And I got busy sewing scraps in all directions.

Lots of shirting material in this piece. 

This was sew much fun. I did not have to worry about seams or anything.  Fabrics in my snowmen date from the 40's to present day. Old shirtings and feedsack material were used . 
                                            

 The applique' is done. I have to add button eyes and then decide how I want to set them.  

Pulled some little 1 1/2" strips to make this little "Snowman Door Hanger " from Kim Diehl. Mine is not exactly like Kim's but cute to me nonetheless.  I made mine into a little pocket . So now to find some cute pieces to stuff into the pocket. Hmm I'm thinking a snowman doll. 
                  

Can I interest you in a pot of 1 1/2" pieces? Cutting up a few scraps for future project. 

        

Another little quilt stack. 

My mind has been fluttering with snowflakes hoping we might get  little snow where I live.  So I have been working on oodles of doodles-  doodles of snowmen right now. I decided to work on a little embroidery work.   I am a little rusty  because it has been awhile, but I will improve with each stitch as I go.  These little snowguys are being done in blackwork.  

Here is a few little doodles for you to enjoy if you are interested. You can use them for embroidery, applique, wool applique, punch needle or whatever you heart desires.  What am I going to do with mine? Hmmm. Pillows ? A mini quilt? I don't know yet. 

 Click here for 1st page. 
 Click  here for 2nd page. 


Well time to go back to the quilt room to do a little stitching. I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching and Judy at  Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday, Beth at Love Laugh Quilt  for  Monday Making and Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap . Hope you will go check out these awesome ladies' blogs.  A lot of quilters are linking up for some "quilty fun". 
Let's have an awesome week and as always...
Happy quilting, 
Melisa

Hey, ya'll.  I would like to tell you again how much I appreciate you taking the time to visit my blog. You just popping in really makes my day!
I would love to see your work . Tag me on instagram using #pinkernpunkinquilting or direct message. 





17 comments:

  1. Cute snowmen, they are very pretty! I love the pots where you put your scraps, fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting me and for the sweet comment. I have a lot of trouble staying organized when cutting scraps. Little pots do the job for me. Lol. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  2. You are so creative . Thanks for sharing and happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jacqueline. I am enjoying the winter quilting and stitching. Have a wonderful New Year.

      Delete
  3. All of your snowmen are very cute! And many thanks for the cute little snowman designs. It will be fun to use them. (Or save them on my computer for later use...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Bonnie for visiting. I have always loved stitching and appliqueing snowmen for some reason. I hope you enjoy these little doodles. They were fun to create. Happy quilting and have a blessed New Year.

      Delete
  4. What fun projects you featured in your post, Melisa! Your new blog header is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Robin. I have been in the quilting mood. I've been pulling out a little winter decor and am about to put up Christmas so I thought I better change the header too. Lol. Happy New Year.

      Delete
  5. All of your snowmen are adorable! I love the blocks made from old shirtings and feedsacks on the modern dot fabric. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kathy for visiting. I have been having so much fun working on those snowmen and using what I got. Lol. It is a fun challenge that always works out in the end. Have a Happy New Year.

      Delete
  6. Those scrappy snowmen are too cute! Hope you have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you so much for your lovely comment and for visiting. Those snowmen have been a joy to work on . I am narrowing down the sashing fabric and hope to work on it sometime this week. Have a wonderful New Year.

      Delete
  7. The little snowman quilt made of old shirting scraps is just the cutest, Melisa! You are so creative! I've never made a quilt, but am plugging away on the hexie I Spy quilt that I'm making for my grandson. A real learning experience for sure :) I hope to finish it by his first birthday in July--we'll see. I wish I had you nearby to give me some pointers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun , Carol. I am in the mood to work on a hexie quilt but have not started one yet. An I Spy quilt will be fabulous for your little grandson. He will spend hours trying to find certain characters or motifs. Great idea. Have a Happy New Year.

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for the snowmen embroidery. I love all your quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how fun! These are wonderful wintery projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little pieced snowmen, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday