Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Crow Creek Doodle Freebie - Embroidery Doodle

 Hello, dear friends.  Every year once that August rolls around, I get into the quilting and crafting mood. Fall just brings it out in me. Lol.  I start doodling away ready to make a few more small quilts to add to my growing collection. I always do some sort of crafting that involves crows. 


Here are a couple of quilts I have created in the past and the beginning of some fall decorating. Crows are one of my favorite birds among hummingbirds, chickens and cardinals. I even decorate my foyer in crows which I will show in a future post. 

Yesterday, I posted a free Fall cross stitch called Crow Creek Saltbox. If you missed this freebie click here to go to the post. 

This design was inspired by my family's  Autumn visits to a farm in a neighboring state called Crow Creek Farm .  As I stitched on this piece, I decided it needed a little quilt to go with it. 

So I drew out some prim doodles to embroider. I love to embroider though I am a little rusty right now. It has been a year since I have embroidered anything.  I used DMC 310 black floss and a back stitch. I think DMC 3371 would look awesome too.
 

I knew I wanted the quilt to be small - mat size really. So I could just accent a little table.  Finally, I decided that a 3 inch square for each doodle would be perfect. 


These were real quick to stitch. 



 I didn't like my first pumpkin so I put it aside  for another project. I also stitched a saltbox house , but my little grandson accidently snipped it with kid scissors. ( I still made a little pillow out of it which can be seen here - with the snip and all. Lol) 

 Once I  completed the blocks , I pieced them into a small quilt and hand quilted it in a few hours.
Now that  extra pumpkin block  ( which is sort of lopsided) -  I decided to make into a candle wrap . I like  my candles  to be decorated too. For the candle wrap, I just used a piece of black and white gingham. I then measured the height of the candle in respect to where I wanted the wrap to be and made sure it wrapped around the candle. I turned under the edges of the gingham and sewed them in place.. Then I found the center of the fabric and used a long running stitch to attach the pumpkin block to the gingham. I just tacked mine around the candle with a few stitches so I can remove it easily.  When burning,  I never leave my candle unattended.

These doodles can be used to create anything  such as in  wool applique', punch needle , embroidery or whatever you dream up. Wouldn't one of the motifs look cute on a needlebook? HMMMM!  🤔

If you are interested in making something with these little doodles,  just  click here  .


These doodles can be enlarged to the size that you want and for personal use. Now if you are interested in making a quilt the same size as mine, I  do not have instructions typed , but I will give the measurements that I used for the quilt top. 

You will need  
Cut 4- 5"  square pieces of white fabric for embroidery. Once it is embroidered trim to 3 1/2" . 
Cut 9 - 1  1/2" yellow squares for cornerstone blocks.
Cut 6  1 1/2" x 3 1/2" from brown fabric 
Cut 6-  1 1/2" x 3 1/2" from orange fabric

If you decide to create something with these doodles, I would love to see what amazing project you dream up. Please tag me on Instagram and use #pinkernpunkinquilting.  Using the hashtag ensures that I will see  your work  due to the device that I am working off ( For some reason,  I can not always see the post  if you just use my name  lol  😃😆(Remember I am inept technology wise. )  

Thank you for stopping by and checking my little quilt out. I hope to work on some fall decor and post it soon. So please stop back in to see what I have been up to. Have a wonderful rest of the week and as always, 
Happy stitching, ya'll!
Melisa 


   


 






5 comments:

  1. O mY!! These are just darling!! Quilting was always something that I wanted to learn how to do.... I am itching to decorate for Fall but I usually hold off until after Labor Day but since Labor day is sort of late this year, I just may decorate the Kitchen before the Holiday....Tanks so much for visiting and for your kind words!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie. I so appreciate you visiting me. My fall quilts are always the first thing that comes out in decorating. Even though it is still hot here, I decided to go ahead and pull out some of my fall to enjoy. I can not wait to see yours this year . I know it will be spectacular. Hugs, Melisa

      Delete
    2. Melisa, every time I check out your blog,I just get so lost at looking at all your pretties. I love these little houses and the doodles that accompany them. You are so talented and so sweet to share them with us. Thank you❤️♥️

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much. When I saw the beginning of your saltbox, I knew I would love it. Actually, any pattern with houses draws me to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for your kind sharing with all of us . it's early but now my thread and needle are calling me to stitch your salt box houses .have a bless day and lots of fun stitching Sue

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

All Is Well That Ends Well Monday