Blog Archive

Saturday, August 29, 2026

Keeping Company in the Quilt Room

 Cock- A - Doodle  Do! Rise and Shine, Sunshine!

 

We need to head to the quilt room. I have a whole lot of fun going on in there, and I just would love your company as I sit and work. Hmmm ... I even have an extra rotary cutter - maybe I can put ya' to work. Hee! Hee! 

First off the quilt blocks!  Earlier this summer, dear Penny sent me a Blessing box filled with beautiful treasures including  a number of quilt blocks made by her Great Aunt Leona. One set of blocks were a gorgeous grouping of sweet calicoes that were foundation pieced on muslin in the log cabin design.

Each block has the most lovely and unique fabrics. I have been oohing and aahing over the prints. 

Penny's Great Aunt foundation pieced the log cabin blocks. 

Great Aunt Leona  pieced 26 blocks.  One block was already machine quilted-so so pretty , but  way beyond my skill level. ( I never learned to machine quilt.😏 )  So I am going to bind it and use it as a small quilt to display throughout the house. 

Now to the task at hand-  making sure all of the blocks are squared and trimmed. Do you mind giving me a hand?  I will let you use the pretty Pioneer Woman rotary cutter- it is extra special. 

Roll, Snip, Cut

25 more blocks to go! 


Save those trimmings. I will use those later. 


In fact, I used this measuring bowl of scraps the other day to stuff , stuff , stuff my cross stitch berry which I shared with you . Did you see that berry? Well, let me show it to you again. 😀😊

The basket was stitched in blues . My sweet sis had beautiful gray blue eyes. 


I stuffed the berry very tightly with the scraps. It made the berry heavy . I used my hands to smooth out any lumps and bumps that the scraps created in the stuffing process. It gives the berry a different feel than using sawdust or polyfil. But enough of that - we are quilting! Hee! Hee! 

Eeeh! Stop the presses . Did you notice the scrumptious purple calico as you were trimming? 

Oh my ! How gorgeous! 💜💜💜


Hmmm.... While you are trimming, I will press and then play with some designs on the "design floor" . Or would you rather do that? Either one is fine with me. 

Oh, very interesting. 

Playing with arranging the blocks.

Still moving and grooving the blocks around. 

Hmmm... I think a block is out of order. 

Oh how about this?! Oooh, I like it!  How about you? 


Well, let's stew on it for a spell, and then I will get to work sewing the blocks.
 Meanwhile, how about we head to the kitchen and whip up a little bit of egg salad for dinner. You just sit back and enjoy a cup of coffee or glass of iced tea, and I will get our lunch together. 

Dilly Egg Salad Recipe

8 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and chopped
1/4 cups of mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tablespoons of Dijon mustard
1/4 cup of celery, minced.
2 Tablespoons of green onion, minced
2 Tablespoons of chopped fresh dill
2 teaspoons of white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS: Combine all ingredients; mix well and chill until serving time. Spread egg salad evenly on your favorite sliced breaded add lettuce and enjoy! 


I am so very grateful, that you dropped by to help me in the quilting room today. It made the task light and extra special to know that I was not alone. And sweet Penny, thank you for blessing me with such  beautiful treasures from your Great Aunt Leona.  I look forward to moving this quilt along. I just hope I can do it justice for your Great Aunt Leona did such beautiful work. I am ever so grateful. 

Thank you for the sweet Saturday  visit, Sweeties! Love ya'! 😘
Now let's fill our bellies full! 

May your day be filled with beautiful scraps of fabric to wrap you in love and happiness! 😁💙💚💛💜❤



As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of all of the world.  "- John Evelyn

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy 
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻


 Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!

🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.
🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.  
🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 
🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade for 2025 A parade of sunflower freebies up to July 24, 2025
🌞Pumpkin, Leaves and Autumn Please- A Fall Parade 2025 A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 8, 2025.
🌞 A Stomping Stamp Parade 2026  A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to June 2, 2026

🌞Time to Dye-  2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim. 
🌞A Spooky Parade - Halloween freebies up to October  4, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed  this date. 
🌞A Christmas in July Parade of Past Freebies- 2026 A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of July 6, 2026. More Christmas Freebies followed this date. 
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025
🌞Let's Dye Some Fabric- A tutorial on my process of dyeing Aida 


A beautiful card sent by Penny. 

UPDATE ON APPLE JAM JAR: 
Yesterday, I shared a CHOOSE YOUR OWN COLOR chart for the Apple Jam Jar. Well after much debate, I decided to stitch mine in muted colors and settled on 3 red apples rather than a variety of colors. BUT I am stitching each apple in a different red. So here are my floss colors thus far. I will keep you posted on what other colors I choose as I come to them. 



DMC 414 (O) Mason Jar lid 
DMC 3371 ( • )  Jar     
DMC 3721 ( R) 1st apple on the bottom      
DMC 355 (R) 2nd apple on the bottom
DMC 610 (V) Apple stem
DMC  640 (P)  Quilt star in the apples

43 comments:

  1. Good Morning! I never thought to add white vinegar to my egg salad! I add almost everything else though and use the Everything Bagel seasoning.
    Those quilt blocks are so pretty! Especially that purple! I do love calico fabric that look like something from the early 1900's. Especially Aunt Grace fabrics - always a favorite of mine.
    Have a blessed day!







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to tell you, I went over to Marcus fabrics to check out their Aunt Grace fabrics and low and behold, there was a collection of Little House on the Prairie Fabrics! :-O!

      Delete
    2. Good morning, dear Donna and Happy Saturday. Oh I need to get some Everything Bagel seasoning ( thanks for the reminder) . I love using different seasonings in my salads and dishes. Don't you? Well I am going to have to hop over to Marcus to see their Little House collection. I do love me some pretty fabrics. Hee! Hee! I hope you have a lovely day. I am working on my butterfly quilt right now and then back to the sewing machine. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Just lovely quilt blocks you've inherited from Aunt Leonie--I like that
    "Streak of Lightning" setting (the last one) a lot for those. Gosh don't you just love those olde fabrics? Just so charming. What a great memory project for you...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do, Julierose. It is like a viewing a treasure trove of pretty calicoes. My eyes dance from one print to the next. I am very blessed that Penny shared these blocks with me. This will be a quilt to cherish. Have a wonderful day, Julierose and thank you for the sweet Saturday visit . Hugs.

      Delete
  3. What a special gift Penny sent you. I love depending on how you arrange the blocks the quilt takes on different looks (can you tell I know nothing about quilting). Have fun with your new project. K from NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just so honored that Penny thought of me. These blocks are extra special and so pretty. I have been playing around with the blocks - arranging them this way and that. LOL. I have to take photos so my "eye" can see them. But it is a whole lot of fun to twist and turn the blocks for different arrangements. I am so grateful for the sweet Saturday visit, K. I wish you the most wonderful weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. The log cabins look so pretty, you can't go wrong on the setting of them. I know you appreciated all the help we gave you in the trimming of them, hehe. Oooh I haven't had egg salad in tons of years, never thought of it. I might have to try it, it would be tasty on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to eat egg salad or tuna salad at least once a month. It is something good to have in the fridge for a quick snack too. I loved having all of the help in the quilt room. Hee! Hee! It has been a good day to be playing with quilt blocks. I hope you are enjoying your day in the quilt room , Vicki. Thank you for dropping by. Hugs

      Delete
  5. Very pretty log cabin blocks. Any of the layouts would make a very pretty quilt. The purple calico is so pretty, but I'm very partial to purple. Hope you get lots done in the sewing room this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a ball arranging and rearranging the blocks. Taking photos certainly helps in seeing where the lights and darks are . Oh that purple is magnificent! Wow! I thought you were partial to purple, Kate. Wishing you a fabulous day in the quilt room. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Your posts are so much fun. I’d love to be helping you trim blocks! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw shucks, Penny. Thank you so much. I sure would enjoy your being here. We would whip this quilt out in 2 shakes of a lamb's tail. LOL. Have a blessed and beautiful day and thank you for bringing a smile to my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. YAAAAASSS on that purple calico! Looks like great fun at your house - I'm headed your way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeeh! A helper! LOL Thank you so much, Linda. Isn't that purple superb! It cannot help but make one smile. Have an awesome day. I will have supper waiting for you when you get here. Hee! Hee! Hugs

      Delete
  8. That purple calico sure did catch my eye! What a great treasure Penny sent to you. Log cabin blocks are such fun to play with because so many great designs can be made! Have a fun time stitching the design!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the prints are a feast for my eyes, but that purple is like sweet candy. I feel so blessed that Penny shared these with me. I am having a ball working with them. I cannot wait to have it whipped up and ready for quilting. Thank you for the sweet visit, Terry. I hope your day is off to a lovely start. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. How fun we got to hang out with you in the sewing room! Lovely blocks. They will be beautiful no matter the final setting. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw shucks, I am very lucky that I had so many helpers and extremely grateful. Hee! Hee! The log cabin blocks sure are a whole lot of fun to work with. Thank you so much for the sweet visit, Deb. I hope you are enjoying a quiet relaxing day working on your EPP. Warm hugs.

      Delete
  10. Those are such pretty blocks, Melisa! What a treat to receive them already made and now you get to decide what to do with them. I bet they are really fun to look at in person. Log cabin blocks give you so many layout options. I'll enjoy seeing how you decide to put them together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I wish you could see them in person, Diann. The prints are scrumptious - a whole lot of eye candy for sure. I am still playing with the layout but look forward to making a decision and then sewing my heart out. LOL Enjoy this beautiful summer's day and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful blocks, Melisa! I love log cabin blocks and I know you will have a fun time arranging them to suit your fancy!! Have a great Saturday! Hugs, B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I am having a fabulous time working with these blocks, Brenda. Twisting and turning the blocks to see what design to create. Hard decisions, but I am ever so grateful to Penny for sharing these with me. I hope you are having a great day. It is a hot one here ; I imagine it is in your neck of the woods too. Stay cool and enjoy your day and thank you for dropping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Those Blessing boxes are the best. The variety of fabrics is just yummy. The log cabin blocks are gorgeous and picking a layout is both fun and frustrating, isn't it? This one or that one?? I like your thread choices on the apples. I have been thinking red, green(think Granny Smith), and yellow(think Yellow Delicious) for mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they are, Ginny. I have been pouring over the fabrics in these blocks. They sorta remind me of fabrics that my Nanny would use when she would sew. Oh yes, it is a challenge to pick a layout ; my head starts to spin when determining which way to turn the block, but it's a lot of fun. I was going to do the same on the Apple Jar and had pulled out my flosses for ( red, green , yellow) and on a whim I decided to go for the reds. I might have to stitch it again. LOL. Thank you for the sweet visit, Ginny. I hope you are having a great weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. I sure did find the first log cabin layout fun - random pops of dark and light grouping. Safe me would probably go with the 3rd, streaks of lightning layout. I wish I'd learned of saving all of my quilt trimmings to stuff cross stitch projects! I'm headed to my sewing room now and will stuff my xstitch pillow project with some! And I just boiled eggs for egg salad - I feel some dilly egg salad will be made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon, Debbie. Oh, I was just having a grand ole' time twisting and turning the blocks and snapping photos. I am like you though- I will go with the Streaks of Lightning. Hee! Hee! But it is fun to play. Oh yes, I save those teeny trimmings. It gives the pillows a different feel , but I like using the scraps. I hope you enjoy the dilly egg salad. It is such a delight to hear from you; thank you for the sweet visit . Have a fabulous weekend. Warm hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  14. Lovely quilt blocks! I'd love to join you in your quilt room. Such a pity we live so far apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it would be delight if you could visit in person . We could sit and stitch and quilt the day away . Perhaps you could bring your thimble quilt so I could ooh and ahh over it. But I am ever so grateful that you visited me here today, Annelies. I hope that you are having a very lovely weekend. Have a blessed day. Hugs .

      Delete
  15. I love these blocks from Aunt Leona!!
    I'll have some egg salad while I enjoy reading and looking at the pictures that accompany the post.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the blocks gorgeous, Isabel? It has been a feast for my eyes to look at the beautiful fabrics. Penny's aunt did such a beautiful job on choosing fabrics and piecing. Ooh I would just love the company . I will get a plate for you ready now. Thank you for the sweet visit. Warm hugs.

      Delete
  16. It was fun joining you in your quilt room. Penny's Blessing Box is special. Aunt Leona used some very pretty fabrics. I love the log cabin pattern - it can be assembled in so many ways. I have made 3 log cabin quilts. My aunt, my daughter (who was 6 at the time), and I attended a quilt in a weekend class. We all finished our quilt tops in 2 days - it was such a great time spent together. I will be making egg salad this week. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alicia what a special time to spend with your aunt and daughter. I can imagine all of the memories that you made and I bet the quilts are gorgeous. Did your daughter like quilting? I used to take my daughters to my quilt guild meetings starting at the age of 11. I had high hopes that they would enjoy quilting, but alas they are not interested yet. I hope you enjoy the dilly egg salad. Thank you for dropping by and have a lovely Sunday. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. Melisa, how lucky are you to have received such a wonderful gift. Log Cabin is my favorite of the quilt blocks. The colors are lovely , especially the purple. I’m looking forward to seeing how you finish it. As to the egg salad, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a ball working with these blocks, Gail. Penny's aunt certainly had an eye for color and I can imagine the fabulous collection of fabrics she must have enjoyed. Oh , I do enjoy bit of egg salad every now and then. It is perfect to put in the fridge for a quick snack on crackers or on toast. I hope you are having a lovely weekend. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  18. Everything looks gorgeous, Melisa! And what a lovely gift. Thank you so much for sharing the egg salad recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw Linda, I am having a ball working with these blocks. They are going to make such a beautiful quilt. The fabrics are nostalgic to me reminding me of what my Nanny would have used in her doll making too. I feel very blessed by Penny. I am so very grateful that you dropped by for a visit. I wish you a very lovely Sunday. Hugs.

      Delete
  19. The quilt blocks are beautiful, but I especially like Amy's Berries, they are all so beautiful, thank you for sharing them with us. I can't wait to stitch them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thank you so much. I am so honored and humbled that you will be adding Amy's Berries to your stitching list. They hold a special place in my heart so knowing that you will be stitching them means the world to me. Enjoy each and every stitch and have a blessed weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  20. Those log cabin blocks are just so precious❣️ I don't know how to machine quilt either. That purple is beyond gorgeous. Interesting egg salad recipe - I must try it 😊 Enjoy your Sunday❣️(nwpaintedlady)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am enjoying every minute working with these beautiful blocks, Sharon. The prints and colors are so fabulous and nostalgic . I hope you enjoy the dilly egg salad. I always enjoy having something like that in the fridge to snack on during the week. Thank you for the sweet visit . I wish you a lovely week. Hugs.

      Delete
  21. That box full of blocks was a sweet gift. You will make the giver proud to know her great aunt's work was saved. I love the apple jar...look forward to seeing this one finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great honor that Penny sent me this lovely collection of blocks pieced by her great Aunt. I look forward to completing the quilt and having it in a hoop. It will be a joy to hand quilt. Thank you for the sweet visit, Jeanna. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

The Changing of the Quilts- Autumn Crows