Blog Archive

Friday, July 3, 2026

The Changing of the Quilts

 Goodbye Spring Quilts ! Hello Summer Quilts!


Way back in the month of May, I meant to change out my quilt display in the little foyer- that is where I have 3 vintage thrifted shutters that I drape seasonal quilts over. 

BUT... my Spring quilts hung on like a tick on a hound dog through the month of May into June . Miss Lazy Bones aka ME just did not have the energy or the inclination  to make the change.  All the while my patriotic quilts were steaming mad that they were not out and about frolicking for the season. 






Well yesterday, I rummaged through the quilt room and made the change. "We are coming out!"  screamed the Patriotic Quilts! 

"NOPE, " I said . The Summer quilts smiled politely as I scooped them up.  While the Patriotic Quilts boohooed in tears. 

So let me show you who is on display for the summer season. 

Front and center on the thrifted shutters is my Summer Days Quilt that I finished in 2023.


For weeks I shared little Summer doodles , that were used to create this quilt. It still is a favorite. 



Links for the embroidery designs can be found in the  Summer Days  reveal in December of 2026



I had wanted to hang Grandma's Love on the 2nd shutter, but alas I had to remove it because it was too bulky.


Sooo....my 2nd favorite vintage quilt top went in its place. 

This quilt top was purchased about 20 years ago for only $6.00 and some change. It is called Otto's Quilt. 
Why do you ask? 


Well , look at this! Right in the center is embroidered the name "Otto G.  MAR 1944" . Swoon! ❤🤗  

I am not sure if Otto made the quilt or if it was made  for Otto. 


Aren't the prints yummy! I love the use of blues, lilacs and reds. How clever. 



And look at the darling vintage cowboy fabric. Was Otto a little buckaroo?!  Ride em' cowboy!🤠


Aaw and the little critter fabric! Again- cute as a button! 


Maybe Otto's quilt should be my 2027 Focus Quilt.  Hmmm... I will think on it. 🤔

The little Basket quilt rounded out my 3rd shutter.  I call it Little Miss S. Quilt named after my daughter. The yellow floral fabric was made from a her baby dress and the yellow plaid is from a man's shirt. 


As an afterthought, I went back and added one more quilt to my shutters.  Do you see it among all of the clutter? 😀 I promise you. It is there . Hee! Hee! 


It was my little Eggs and Chicken Quilt. I shared these little doodles as a freebie way back in 2023. 🐔





I have to say , I am now happy that I have made the change. Soon  all the patriotic country clutter  on the vintage foyer shelf will march back to their bins and closets and new summer decor will take their place, but don't be surprised if some patriotic lingers in place- this is a big year!

So tell me . Do you have a favorite place that you like to decorate for the seasons? 

As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"You don't have to change your entire life overnight, just  do one thing a little better than you did yesterday. Then do it again.   "- unknown

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 
🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞


 Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!

🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.
🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.  
🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 
🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade for 2025 A parade of sunflower freebies up to July 24, 2025
🌞Pumpkin, Leaves and Autumn Please- A Fall Parade 2025 A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 8, 2025.
🌞 A Stomping Stamp Parade 2026  A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to June 2, 2026

🌞Time to Dye-  2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim. 
🌞A Spooky Parade - Halloween freebies up to October  4, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed  this date. 
🌞Ho! Ho! Ho! Christmas Parade Of Previous Freebies- 2025- A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of November 15, 2025. More Christmas Freebies followed this date. 
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025
🌞Let's Dye Some Fabric- A tutorial on my process of dyeing Aida 

32 comments:

  1. I love seeing your quilts, Melisa. Happy Friday! Enjoy this holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Happy Friday, Robin. It took my a while to change the quilts out but I am glad I finally got the task done. Have a fabulous weekend. Enjoy the festivities and Happy 4th. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Happy summer decorating is at your house. Isn't it just fun we can pick and choose and rearrange to our hearts content!! Yes I have a little nook in my foyer that is seasonal, I used to decorate in the kitchen, changing out the little shelves on the sides of my cupboards by the sink. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is fun, Vicki. I wish I could have all my quilts out on display, but sometimes we have to narrow it down. LOL. I love it when you show your seasonal nook. I bet it is all dressed up in red, white and blue right now. Thank you for the sweet Friday visit and Happy 4th . Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Lovely quilts Melisa, I'm sorry you had to make the patriotic quilts cry. ;) Otto and his story are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw I did too, Linda. Hee! Hee! The patriotic quilts are some of my favorites too. But I sure am glad to have Otto out for the season. Happy 4th . Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Very fun and summery quilts. I don't do much decorating these days. My only nod to the holiday is to change out the tablecloth on the dining room table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw changing out the tablecloth is a wonderful nod to the holidays, Kate especially when we spend so much of our time at the table . I love changing out my tablecloth too. which reminds me I didn't do that either. LOL. Have a fabulous weekend, Kate and thank you for the sweet visit. Happy 4th! Hugs

      Delete
  5. Beautiful as always! It took me forever to put my June decor up and it'll stay up until I get back from Germany in a week...I didn't not have time to switch to my patriotic decor 🤪
    What’s the name of the cross stitch above your strawberry quilt in the second photo? I love the blue house! 😍
    Currently on my way to Germany...."only" 18 more hours until I'll arrive 🥱 but I brought a big stitchy project that will keep me busy.
    Thank you for your kind words on my other comment. And for always bringing happiness to my days with your blog posts! 🤗🤗💕
    Have a wonderful 4th 🇺🇸
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday, sweet Alex. It sounds like we were two peas in a pod on patriotic decorating this year. But that's ok. Oh that blue house is a stitch that I made years and years ago. I just free hand stitched it and never drew up a pattern. It was just what come to me at the time I was stitching it. LOL.I do need to chart it sometime. Safe travels, sweet friend. I know you are tired and weary. I am glad you have a big project to work on during the long flight. You are in my heart and prayers. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Lovely Summery quilt hangings, Melisa in your foyer spot;))) I used to like to decorate my little fireplace mantel seasonally--but lately I have placed little framed photos of family up there which I really like...At Christmas I hang a bunting and would like to make some others for decorations--that's my plan anyway...we shall see. Right now I am into my paper crafting for a bit of a change after my jelly roll debacle :(((( (I am trying to come up with a plan to "save" it!!)
    I hope your 4th is a happy one...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Friday, Julierose. Aaw thank you so much for the kind words on my summery quilts. I am glad I have made a change . Fireplace mantels are a wonderful place to decorate especially with framed photos. Did you make the bunting last year for your fireplace? Oh I have no doubt you will wrestle that jelly roll quilt into shape to your liking. Sometimes we just have to step away and put them in time out. Right? Have a lovely 4th of July and enjoying your journaling. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. How fun to find Otto's name embroidered on one of the blocks. That makes it an extra special piece for sure! I have a small quilt hanger in our bedroom that I change out each month. I have one space next to my chair that I hang a quilt to display which I also change each month. Otherwise, there are quilts on the back of chairs, beds and the couch. . .you know. . .typical of a quilter's house! Have an awesome Fourth. We will have a quiet one at home and I will be stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun, Terry. Do you change out the quilts on your chairs, sofa and such seasonally? I am like you my quilts are draped everywhere, but some seem to stay put right in their spot. LOL. I like the idea of having a quilt hanging near your chair. It makes it your cozy little space. Have a wonderful July 4th. I quiet day at home and stitching the evening away sounds awesome! Hugs.

      Delete
  8. All of your quilts are spectacular Melisa. Everytime I see them I want to learn to quilt. I am so excited for bee decor this year. I have Hum of the Bees and A Basket of Honeysuckle in the queue to stitch this year. I think my favorite area to decorate is my hutch for every season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw that warms my heart, Lisa. I bet you would be a natural at Quilting, but be careful - it can be addictive too. Hee! Hee! Oh I am so excited that you are adding Hum of the Bees and A Basket of Honeysuckle to your stitching list. Those are some of my favorites. I hope you enjoy them and thank you. Aren't hutches fun to decorate - especially for the seasons? Have a fabulous weekend and a very Happy 4th of July . Hugs. And thank you for the sweet visit. You always bring a smile to my day.

      Delete
  9. The summer quilts are so colorful and Otto’s quilt is extra special. I need to start quilting again - I have a lovely fabric stash. I love the seasonal decorations. I will be stitch patriotic over the fourth. Have a great holiday weekend. Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good to make the change over to the summer quilts. Otto's quilt always seems to make the cut to be put out. I do need to quilt it. I go through spurts where at times I want to stitch and other times quilt. Do you do that? I wish you a very productive and Happy 4th of July, Alicia! Warm hugs.

      Delete
  10. Hello Melisa, I was looking through some of your absolutely wonderful ideas for small wall quilts and came across four ideas for gingerbread designs that you did in 2023. You had embroidered them and hand tinted I think with crayons. Wondered if you finished this and if you could tell us your method for coloring them and post a picture of how you finished it. One was called a " Plate of Gingerbread." Never too early to start a Christmas project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janice and Happy Friday. I am so touched that you asked about the little gingerbread doodles. Those were a lot of fun to Embroider and color. You have given me an idea to post how I color my little pieces. On these, I first colored the motifs lightly with a white crayon in small circular motions. I then began coloring with crayons starting at the edges and coloring lightly but building on the colors with different shades as I went. Later I went back with colored pencils and added more depth. When I pressed my blocks, I was careful to place an ironing cloth over the embroidery which would pick up any wax. I then embroidered my blocks. After embroidery I added a little more color , if they were not dark enough. Sadly , I have not finished mine yet, but I had an idea of framing the blocks with scrappy 2 1/2" (unfinished squares) . I believe that will be my Christmas in July project. It would be so much fun to get that one finished. Di at Quilting is Blissful finished the little gingerbread blocks . She always has the cutest projects. If I find her finish I will post it about it so you can see hers. Thank you for brightening my day. I hope you enjoy the little gingers and if you have any questions just let me know. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Everything looks very, very purdy. I love the mix. Like the straggler is yelling "wait for me". Have a fabulous but "wait for me" LOL Big Hugs, DarleneJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you so much for the sweet Friday giggles, Miss Darlene. There is always one straggler quilt wanting to get into the mix isn't there? Hee! Hee! You know me in a day or two, I am sure I will add something else. I just can't help myself. Hee! Hee! I hope you are having a super day. We are finally getting a cool breeze. Happy 4th , sweet friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. It's lovely to see the seasons change through your home decor.
    If I don't get a chance to stop by tomorrow, I wish you a Happy 4th of July!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw you are so very kind, sweet Isabel. Thank you so much and I wish you the most delightful weekend. Warm hugs and many blessings.

      Delete
  13. It certainly is a BIG year for your country, celebrating 250 years! I can imagine there will be celebrations throughout the land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so exciting, Jenny! It has been a lot of fun to see the events leading up to the big day. I know I am certainly proud and very grateful for our veterans and military. Thank you so much for the sweet visit . I wish you a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Your summer-y red, white, and blue quilts are all so fun, Melisa! The Summer Days quilt with all the embroidery is a favorite of mine. I have my little chest of drawers that I decorate for holidays and seasons and I change out some quilts, too. In fact, I just finished a little something to add to the July decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I cannot wait to see what you have finished for your July decorations, Diann. Your seasonal chest vignettes are always so fabulous and inspirational. You make me want to quilt and stitch more when I see them. Thank you for the warm compliment on my summer quilts. The Summer Days quilt is one of my favorites too. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Always enjoy getting a closer look at your quilts. Yes, this is a big year, for sure. The end quote is very inspirational. I will see if I can apply it to my life. Enjoy your day, Melisa and Mr. P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Ginny. It was fun to pull the quilts out and make the change. Though it upset my patriotic quilts something terrible. Hee! Hee! Isn't that a great quote- I am trying to apply it to my life too. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  16. Always love seeing what you pull for the quilt show! Great choices and these do have a patriotic look to them as well! Hugs, B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Brenda. I thought they have a patriotic look to them too plus they are perfect for the summer season. Have a fabulous weekend. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

A Stroll and A Christmas Freebie- Silent Night