Blog Archive

Thursday, July 30, 2026

Miss Homestead Blessings

 "Finish me! Finish me! Finish me! " screamed "Homestead Blessings. "You have had the frame for nigh 8 months . What is holding you up it ?" it asked. 

        "Homestead Blessings was a free stitch that I shared in August of 2025. 

I just rolled my eyes and walked away each time it made it's case. 

Then one day , I moved "Homestead Blessings" to the table beside my stitching chair. It began to squeal in delight for it thought that it was going to be fully finished. 
But lazily , I sat it down on the table and saunteered away. 

"Boo Hoo," cried the little stitch as the solid black frame sat smuggly knowing it was not going to be used anytime soon. 

Then a few weeks later a strip of brown fabric was gingerly placed beside "Homestead Blessings" . It did not say a thing, but smiled meekly as it sat wondering was today the day. 

Fast track 2 months later, as I sat in my stitching chair, I eyed "Homestead Blessings" . Quietly I heard a whisper- "Finish me... Finish me..."

I popped up and said, "Today is the day!"

"Homestead Blessings squealed in delight. "Really? " it asked. 

As I picked up the little stitch . I swear I saw   Mr. Thrifted Black Frame give a faint smile as well.
 
 I found this frame for a dollar over a year ago at the thrift store. 

As usual, I did not give myself a lot of finishing allowance, but I would make do. I always do. 
"Now, little Miss Homestead,  this is not going to be anything fancy. Do you understand?  " I asked. " Just a lick and a promise." 

"Yes, yes, I understand, " she said as she nodded in gratitude.  

I smiled for I knew all she wanted was to be finished. 

I did not give myself a lot of finishing room so I added 1 1/2" strips of calico. 


I cut a few strips of fabric and sewed them to each side of "Homestead Blessings

And then -like I said, with a lick and a promise I popped her into Mr. Thrifted Black Frame. That old grump even twinkled when Miss Homestead joined him. 

Not a perfect finish , but it now can be put on display. 

Now the 2 will live happily ever after. 😀

So that is my tale of the finish of Miss Homestead Blessings. 

Do you have a stitch or a craft that is calling your name, but you just keep putting it off?  I certainly have many more begging to be finished. 



As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"It's not where you start- It's where you finish that counts.  "- Zig Ziglar

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy . 
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷


 Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!

🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.

🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.  

🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 
🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade for 2025 A parade of sunflower freebies up to July 24, 2025
🌞Pumpkin, Leaves and Autumn Please- A Fall Parade 2025 A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 8, 2025.
🌞 A Parade of Stamps 2025  A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to August 14, 2025

🌞Time to Dye-  2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim. 
🌞A Spooky Parade - Halloween freebies up to October  4, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed  this date. 
🌞Ho! Ho! Ho! Christmas Parade Of Previous Freebies- 2025- A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of November 15, 2025. More Christmas Freebies followed this date. 
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025

28 comments:

  1. Good evening beautiful lady Melisa.
    Woohoo I am first to comment. I love Homestead Blessings. She looks lovely with her fabric trim in her beautiful frame. I am going to go back to August 2025 to find the project. It is an easy no frills piece and that’s why I love it so much. What color is the DMC floss please? It is just a perfect piece in my eyes. Way to go Melisa. Absolutely perfect!!!
    I am going to go to Rosie’s Calico Cupboard tomorrow for a quilting day. I am really looking forward to it. I was going to go on Tuesday, but I couldn’t because I am having lots of sciatica problems. This time on the right side. I cannot handle this pain. It hurts sooooo dang much!!! Yikers not fun at all. I am having lots of issues with my body from my waist down, but that is for another day. I hope you are doing well. In fact, I pray you are. You and the entire family sweet lady.
    I am definitely going to go to Walmart and look for zinnia seeds especially, you got it, peppermint zinnias. All I do with my geraniums is feed them plant food occasionally and water them until, basically, flooded. I don’t get many flowers anymore, unfortunately, but they are still green-leafed.
    Thank you so much Melisa for your blog posts. I love reading them and I look forward to them everyday. Some days you don’t post and I get sad because I miss you and want to be travelling with you.
    I hope you are enjoying an awesome night’s sleep. I’m headed to bed in about 20 minutes. It’s 10:38 pm right now.
    Have a wonderful, blessed day Melisa and family.
    Stay safe, stay happy. I know your posts make me very happy.
    Blessings and love are on the way to you.
    Hugs!!!
    Debra Broyles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Happy Thursday , sweet Debra. I hope your day is off to a fabulous start and you are enjoying a day at Rosie's Calico Cupboard. I hope some goodies make their way home with you, but I am sure you will come home filled with inspiration. Oh, thank you so much for the geranium tips. I have my fingers crossed I can keep my newest one alive. It has made it for over a month. Hee! Hee! - A miracle! LOL. I hope you enjoy "Homestead Blessing" . I used DMC 898 for the floss color. It was an easy peasy stitch, but took me forever to finish it. You should see my finishing basket- filled to the brim with pieces begging to escape to daylight. Bless your heart. I hate to hear that you have sciatica issues. My hubby does too and he says it is very painful some days. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Now you have a wonderful day, stay cool and enjoy every minute of your day out and about. Love ya'! Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Good Morning!
    I love your story. I think all of us have those unfinished projects crying to be finished. I have one that's been idling for several years. Sadly, I fell out of love with it for one reason or another. And I was almost done with it too! :-/
    Homestead Blessings is very pretty. I may make that for my middle dd whose home is considered a homestead in FL. Thank you for the pattern.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we bring a project almost to the finish and then just fall out of love or stop for one reason or another? Sometimes I pick up a piece like that and wonder why I never finished it. I have a lot of quilt tops hanging in the wings like that. Sigh. I hope you enjoy stitching Homestead Blessings, Donna. I wish you the most delightful day and stay cool, sweet friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful finish, Melisa! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Aaw thank you so much, Robin. It is not perfect, but better done than sitting in a basket somewhere . Right? LOL. I hope you are having a great day. It is hard to believe that July is almost over isn't it? Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Yep I sure do have lots that want to be finished and are screaming so loudly I almost need ear plugs. Sometimes I listen to them and sometimes not, LOL. Your latest finish is perfect in that frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I hear you on that. I think we need more hands or hours in the day to finish all the things that we want. Don' you, Vicki? My little finish was not perfect, but I am thrilled to have it done and on display for the time being. Have a fabulous evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. What a perfect solution and finish! I too chuckled at the piece crying to be finished! I have projects like that too! My Gertie though doesn't often pay attention to the cacophony as she would rather start a project than finish one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I like where Gertie's head is at! Hee! Hee! She just keeps on going and going! And like I said before she never steers you wrong. But I am always amazed by how much you do get accomplished , Terry. You are so very well organized. I need some tips. LOL . Have a beautiful day, dear. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Lovely finish Melisa;))) I have quite a few (ahem--that is--many) unfinished items lurking here and there...in baggies, boxes, on hangers etc etc: s i g h --I stopped making each one for a reason--usually I got stuck at some point....and moved onto something else it seems. I am trying this Summer to work on some of these--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I understand, Julierose. Sometimes we have to give a project a little break and then time just gets away from us as we move onto other projects. I admire how you come back to some of those projects though - like Jellyroll Jumble. Last night I was sifting through some of my old mini quilt tops and pulled them out to reconsider working on them. Thank you for the sweet visit . You always brighten my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy your conversations so much - you should write children's books! That is really a pretty finish, well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw shucks! Thank you so much, Linda. You brought a smile to my day. Mr. Pinker has always said the same thing and says I missed my calling . LOL. I was just glad to get this piece in a frame to use. I never learn about not giving myself enough "finishing room" in respect to the fabric . LOL. Have a bright and beautiful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Very nice finish, Melisa. Add the strips of fabric acts like a mat and works perfectly. I may have one, two or many more items waiting to be fully finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Jeanna. I was hoping to find a smaller frame, but our thrift stores have been lacking in frames over the last year. I am not sure why. I am super excited to have it finished though. Have a wonderful day and stay cool. It is going to be a hot one out there. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. Those two were meant for each other. With the addition of the calico and the perfectly sized frame it all came together just beautifully. Oh, yes, there are some stitches lurking in several places of my stitching areas. I have torn my sewing room apart and am now trying to put it back together. What a job! Haha SMH (shaking my head at myself) I can't even remember what start the chole thing. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thank you so much, dear Ginny. I was tired of it waiting in the wings for the perfect frame. So bits of calico came to the rescue. Have you found any long forgotten projects that you want to work on as you have been working in your sewing room? That is my problem when I am supposed to be cleaning my sewing room. Hee ! Hee! Have a lovely day, Ginny. I wish you the best in getting your quilt room back into order. Big hugs.

      Delete
  10. I have several projects I have set aside. They are larger projects that are trying to get my attention. I have been thinking about one recently, so I am going to work on it each evening. Homestead Blessings looks great - the fabric and frame are perfect. Have a great day. Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun, Alicia! Spending a little time each evening is a great way to tackle a long waiting project. I wish you the best on getting the larger projects done. Keep me posted on how you are doing. I still have LHN's Farm Life to finish, but I will work on it when ball season resumes for the grandsons. Have a beautiful day and thank you for the sweet Thursday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. I think we all have several projects that we post over and over until their time comes, Melisa!
    This summer I set myself the goal of finishing several art notebooks and journals that I've started... let's see if I manage it!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh those would be fun projects to work on for the summer. Working on art journals are very relaxing to me. I have a basket with some of mine in it waiting to be worked on, but alas they have gotten little attention over the last couple of months. I wish you a lovely time working on yours. Thank you for the sweet visit, dear Isabel. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. That is a sweet finish, Melisa! You definitely had the perfect frame for the shape of the design. I seem to be jumping from one thing to another this week, since finishing the Bell tabletopper the other day - everything is calling my name! And now I see your sunflowers in the canning jar design up there in the header photo - I NEED to start that one! 🌼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how funny, Diann! I completely understand about hopping from one thing to another. Don't you just wish we had more hours in the day to do all of the things? I sure do. Aaw I hope you enjoy the sunflower jar. I have been dreaming of working on another "jar piece" but alas - right not it is just a dream. Maybe today though after the grandsons leave. I wish you a very lovely and productive day and thank you for bringing a smile to my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. What a delightful story and I too smiled with the stitching was all in the frame!!!!
    hugs,di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw shucks! Thank you so much, Di for bringing a smile to my day. I am thrilled to have this little stitch finished. It might not be perfect , but at least I can display it rather than letting it hang out in a basket . LOL. Have a sunny day and Happy quilting and stitching. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Because Blessing are very simple - sun, rain, a hug from a child, a purr from a kitten. I join the masses of having several unfinished projects. I used to take the city bus to work and did some stitching on the way to and fro - often people I rode with nodded with approval (we city folk seldom start a conversation with strangers) Love all the work you do! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how those unfinished projects pile up over time. Isn't it? I have baskets of them myself, but I enjoyed each and every stitch and will get to finishing them when the time comes. Oh what a wonderful way to spend the time as you traveled to and from work. I am sure it was very relaxing as you made your way from place to place. Plus we have to squeeze in any stitching time we can right? Lol. I used to take quilt applique blocks to work with me. I would work on them during my lunch time. Nowadays I always have something nearby to work on. It brings much comfort. Thank you for the sweet visit, I hope your day was a very lovely one. Hugs.

      Delete