It's time to change the quilts! 🍂🍂🍂
It's one of my favorite things today as the seasons change.
First, I need to say good bye to the Bees and Sunflowers Quilt Display.
Bye Bye Bees! Time to Buzz! 🐝🐝
And here comes the crows!
CAW! CAW!
First, I decorated my peg shelf on the door with a little white pumpkin quilt. I appliqued it about 20 years ago. The little sign is from the Dollar Tree.
In my small foyer are three vintage thrifted house shutters that I love to decorate with quilts. I simply drape them over the shutters and Wahlah! A simple display.
I layered "quilt upon quilts" for this year's fall quilt display.
On the first shutter is "Four and Twenty Blackbird" which was also displayed in the bee display. There are 24 crows on this quilt. Some are applied but some are quilted.
Crows and Gourds is displayed on the 2nd shutter. It is another older appliqued quilt. I used lots of clothing in this piece including shorts from my college days, pants from my daughter and a shirt from Mr. Pinker. Many fond memories are stitched in this colorful quilt.
The crows and gourds are all tucked into a plaid fabric appliqued bowl.
🍂🍂🍂
Front and center on the 3rd shutter is "The Fall Scarecrow" which was a free doodle that I found at Prim Mart in 2020. I embroidered it on a scrap of fabric from an old sheet . Some of the border fabric is from an old shirt. Waste not want not. Right?
If you would like to see how I color tint my embroidered quilts with crayons and colored pencils, just check out my post entitled Color Tinting Embroidery Designs.
The little Pumpkins sign was painted years ago from leftover woods craps from Mr. Pinker's workshop
Behind the "Fall Scarecrow" is a quilt that I pieced in 2020 called "Snowball Autumn".
I am so sorry for the poor lighting in this photo. It doesn't do the quilt justice.
The next year my sweet sis gifted me a pumpkin she bought at a yard sale made of the same fabric. Bless her sweet heart. I miss her so! ❤
| The pumpkin my sis gifted me from the same fabric in the quilt. |
The darling orange basket was a gift from dear Shelly years ago. I adore it. Thank you , Shelly. ❤😘
Homestead was a little appliqued quilt that I pieced years and years ago. It was a fun use of scraps.
That's the first round of the fall quilts on display!
These quilts may be changed out before the end of the season; I am always tweaking displays.
Do you do that?
Oh before you go, let me show you my seasonal tree all dressed up in crows and sunflowers. I promise you there is a tree in there. Hee! Hee! I like my trees full.
Anywhooo... it is tucked into an old enamelware bucket and surrounded by an old pitcher, a jar of mini pumpkins and a big fat painted fabric pumpkin and scarecrow.
So tell me have you already started "Decking the halls" for FALL?
As Always...
Happy Stitching and Quilting, y'all
Melisa
"Leaves are falling . Autumn is calling. "-
Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤
Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy who was such a giving person
I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo.
🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻
Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!
🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.
🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.
🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade- 2026 A parade of sunflower freebies up to September 3, 2026
🌞Autumn Parade March- 2026 Fall Parade A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 10, 2026.
🌞 A Stomping Stamp Parade 2026 A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to June 2, 2026
🌞Time to Dye- 2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric.
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim.
🌞A Spooky Parade - Halloween freebies up to October 4, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed this date.
🌞A Christmas in July Parade of Past Freebies- 2026 A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of July 6, 2026. More Christmas Freebies followed this date.
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025
🌞Let's Dye Some Fabric- A tutorial on my process of dyeing Aida
🌞Color Tinting Embroidery Designs - Explanation on how I use crayons to color my designs for hand embroidery. - July 9, 2026
I see you're ready to welcome autumn, Melisa!
ReplyDeleteI love your quilt and decorative displays... I can get lots of ideas for my own home.
Hugs from Spain
Oh I am , Isabel. Though the weather says we are a long ways from the "chilly weather" . It was 100 degrees yesterday. Yikes. LOL. Thank you so much for visiting me today. I hope you have a delightful and sunny day. Hugs.
DeleteI love all your Fall decorations. I decided to skip Fall decorating and went right to Halloween. I love my vintage looking Halloween and wanted to see it up longer. Have a blessed weekend and happy stitching!
ReplyDeleteOh I did the same thing last year in my living room. I enjoyed having all of the jacks and black cats out. I bet you have a wonderful collection of vintage Halloween. I don't blame you for wanting to enjoy them more.Do you collect the old vintage jackolantern buckets, Joy? I always keep my eyes peeled for them. Thank you for the sweet Friday visit. Warm hugs.
DeleteYour new display is so pretty! I can tell you have loved creating things for years. Thank you for sharing! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteOh I do , Donna. I have found over the year that I am a seasonal quilter and stitcher though try as I might to get ahead of the season. I was thrilled to pieces to add my new jam jar to the mix. I hope you are having wonderful day and enjoy your weekend. Hugs.
DeleteIt all looks fabulous, Melisa. I took down the patriotic decor on the 12th or 13th and put up the fall on the 13th or 14th. I'm still tweaking it, but will look at it with fresh eyes when I get back from Williamsburg. Have a fabulous weekend!
ReplyDeleteOh how fun, Robin. I bet your seasonal tree and iron stove looks amazing with all of your pretties and handmades. I hope to get back on IG where I can see it when I return. I do hope you are having a lovely time in Williamsburg. I have always wanted to visit that area. It is filled with history. Thank you for dropping by. Hugs.
DeleteDo you ever create the same display from past years or always arrange it differently? I did get out a small amount of my fall stuff for my foyer. I used to do more but I get tired of hauling it up and down from the basement.
ReplyDeleteOh I often use the same old things in my display, but it seems like I change it up. I unintentionally used some of the same quilts as last year, but I always place the Four and Twenty Blackbirds on the bottom shutter. Though it is a simple quilt, it holds lots of fond memories. Oh, I just loved your foyer display, Vicki. That turkey quilt is amazing! I know exactly what you mean about hauling stuff back and forth. I have slowed down a lot on decorating over the years. Thank you so much for the sweet Friday visit, Vicki. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.
DeleteLove all the fall quilts, Melisa.I so enjoy seeing your decor.
ReplyDeleteOh thank you so much, Jeanna. This is the 1st area I enjoy decorating for the season. I love pulling out the quilts and deciding which ones go where. Thank you for dropping by for a sweet visit. Enjoy spending time with your company this weekend. Hugs.
DeleteI've only hung one thing so far but plan to get moving on it this weekend. We are expecting Autumn temps next week and that makes me happy! Love all your works, especially that Crayola scarecrow!
ReplyDeleteOh how lucky are you to get a bit of cooler weather next week. It is still 100 in our neck of the woods- doesn't feel much like fall. I hope you have a grand time decorating for the fall season, Susie and I hope you will give us a peek on your blog. Thank you so much for brightening my day. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs.
DeleteI love that pumpkin from your sister and also that pretty white fabric with fall designs. Your quilts are all beautiful. Last year I went all out (for me) with fall decor and garlands with lights and some of my fall stitch pieces. I have everything in 2 boxes at the top of my closet just waiting to be put out. I refuse to put it out in this crazy heat - lol!
ReplyDeleteLOL Linda, we are in your neck of the woods and you are right- it is hot! Hee! Hee! It doesn't feel much like fall . Does it? The pumpkin holds bitter sweet memories- I do miss my sweet sis so much. Oh I bet your fall decor was magnificent. If you put it up this year, I do hope you will post it ! I would love to see your pretties. Have a fabulous weekend , sweet friend. Hugs.
DeleteI love how often you honor the memory of your sweet sister. You really do hold her close to your heart. She is there beside you. That is great fabric!!
ReplyDeleteOh Terry, I miss her so much. We saw each other just about every day. Being much older than her, she was almost like a child to me so the loss of her is extremely painful especially under the circumstances where there is no closure. But I think about her every minute and I feel her right beside me. She was an amazing person. I cannot thank you enough for your heart warming words, Terry. You made my day special. Warm hugs and many blessings.
DeleteFall has arrived at your home. You have so many lovely quilts. Your sister was as generous as you. It is special to have her gifts in your displays. I have only put out a few things so far. I need to get moving. I am considering putting Halloween items in a family’s room and kitchen. And putting the fall decorations in dining room and living room. That way I can leave them out longer. Have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteIt has taken me awhile and I am still tweaking but the "Fall decor" is coming out. Oh I love the idea of having fall and Halloween out so you can enjoy each longer. I did the same thing last year with a lot of Halloween in my living room. I am thinking of putting up a Halloween tree and maybe framing the bottom with my Halloween village. Hmmm maybe. Oh I do hope you will keep me posted on your fall decorating, Alicia. I would love to hear about it. And thank you so much for the kind words on my sis. My sister and my Nanny were 2 of the most generous people I have ever known. They were constantly gifting their time, energy, skills or love .Have a wonderful weekend, sweet friend and Happy decorating. Big hugs.
DeleteHopefully--some of your 'bees' will fly down here in the next couple days--I have worked all week on cleaning and rearranging--getting ready for Fall change over--but hopeful that I can get my bee things out this week end and enjoy them for a couple weeks before I do do alot of Fall--it's hard here in Florida to feel like fall decorating yet---
ReplyDeleteAnd wait until you read this weeks post on Sunday--about an adventure I had with this month's roundabout--!!!!! Hugs, di
Oh I know what you mean about "trying to get" into the season when the weather is so hot. It reached 100 this week. Wheew.! LOL I just read about your adventure Di. Bless your heart! I was wondering if you might create a pillow from the first embroidery you worked on. I have done the same when printing before, but fortunately had not got so far into the project. Lol if you are like me - you want to kick yourself when things like that happens. Your little squirrel roundabout is so precious though. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.
DeleteIts always so nice to see your seasonal changes, and read about the history behind them. Pumpkins are so tasty, especially pumpkin soup.
ReplyDeleteAaw thank you so much, Jenny. Oh I agree, I love to bake pumpkin rolls and pumpkin pie this time of the year. Mmmm... pumpkin soup sounds delightful. I will have to look for a recipe. Have a blessed day.. Hugs.
DeleteLove seeing these quilts. For me it still feels like summer although the days are getting shorter.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, it feels like Summer here too; it was up to 100 the other day. I do long for the longer days though. It is getting dusk around 7:30 now. Sigh. Thank you for the sweet visit, Annelies. I hope you are having a lovely week. Hugs.
DeleteLove the decor! And it is so fun to mix metals, fabrics, ceramics, etc. The collection of memories is also a must. -- But I must tell you that I just about spit on the computer screen when I got to the pumpkins sign. Now, "wood scraps" is what we would call our hoarding pile. Those other people that don't understand us or appreciate our "I'll use that later" mentality would likely call our piles "woods craps"! I bet you did that on purpose! Don't change it! It's perfect as is! :-) ♥
ReplyDeleteLOL a gal after my own heart! We have a "junk yard hill" on the farm where old scraps of metal and wood and what not is stored. You never know when those scraps will be useful . Right? Hee! Hee! Nothing wrong with hoarding what can be used by someone. I cannot tell you how many times we have raided out own stash. No, not wood crap at all. Hee! Hee! You just made my day. Thank you for the sweet visit and bringing a big smile to my day. Hugs.
DeleteYour changing of the quilts is like the changing of the Guard. Love to see some of your older pieces come out that we don't see every year. The stories of these is so fun and adds to them so much. The red park bench is a nice backdrop.
ReplyDeleteLOL it is Ginny. When it is time to make a change for the seasons the quilts on the shutter are the first change and usually dictate the colors I will use in a room. Isn't that red bench fun. It is a piece from Florida that used to sit at a Winn Dixie grocery store- or at least that was what I was told. I wish I could move that piece inside. It is massive though. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.
DeleteBeautiful, Melisa!! I really love the large pumpkin your sis gifted you. Love the red bench too!
ReplyDeleteAaaw thank you so much, dear Brenda. And what is so funny is that Amo did not know that I had recently made a quilt using the exact same fabrics. What a delightful surprise when she gifted it to me. Have a beautiful day . Hugs.
DeleteI love your decorations Melisa! I plan to start working on putting mine today. I do love that pumpkin fabric too and the pumpkin your sister gave you.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Oh I hope you had a lot of fun decorating for fall Diana. Is it starting to feel like fall in respect to weather in your neck of the woods? Aaw thank you so much for the kind words on my pumpkins ; they are always a delight to pull out each season. Have a blessed day. Hugs.
DeleteI love all your crows, Melisa! I have made a few things with crows in them over the years - time to dig them out. Fall is almost here!
ReplyDeleteOh I do hope you will post your Crow fall decor Diann. I have an affection for crows for some reason. It is always a joy when I see one out in the wild. Thank you so much for the sweet visit. I hope you are having a wonderful day . Hugs.
DeleteThe quilts are all fabulous as well as your displays - always inspiring. But what caught my eye was the HULL brown ware pitcher 🤎 Have a great week ahead (nwpaintedlady)
ReplyDeleteLOL a am obsessed with the old Hull pieces, Sharon. I remember that you enjoy collecting Hull too. Don't you have the pink Hull pieces? I picked up a Hall dish the other day that I cannot wait to show you. It is quite pretty too. Thank you for the sweet visit . I hope you are having a great week. Hugs.
DeleteSo much to look at. Sounds like you enjoy the decorating about as much as you do making and buying all those fun trinkets and quilts.
ReplyDeleteOh I do , Kate! I have always enjoyed putzing around the house decorating especially with handmade items or treasures from my grandparents or thrifty finds. It is fun to change things out for the seasons. I am so very grateful for the sweet visit. Enjoy your day in the quilt room. Hugs.
Delete