Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Sunflower Haven - A House Freebie

I did it! I did it! 
Picture me twirling about with my arms high in the air! Hee! Hee!😀
What did I do ? 

Well nothing too monumental , but I finally grew a sunflower! 

My first sunflower 

Isn't it sunny and magnificent?! 

I know. I know . I guess I am overexuberant  for this simple bloom , but goodness, over the years,  I have tried every trick in the book  to grow a sunflower to no avail. 


In celebration, I am sharing Sunflower Haven today!🌻🌻🌻 
It is  a very primitive house. 



Sunflower Haven  was inspired by 2 houses- my Granny's and "a house down the road" from me that was torn down years and years ago.
Sunflower Haven is very prim and almost rustic . It is built on a foundation of stacked rocks like my Granny's cabin with a back addition . Granny had a covered back porch . Her galvanized wash tub hung on the wall on the porch. She would pull it down and fill it water from the well to bathe. She did not have running water. 🤗



"The old house down the road" from me had one addition after another. I always wanted to go into the house to see how the house unfolded inside- it was fascinating on the outside though most people would not give it a second look. 

Anywhooo... "the house down the road "inspired me to create additions to the Sunflower Haven.  If you look carefully, you can see where the additions have been attached to the main house. 

The yard is filled with stately sunflowers. And I could not resist but add a crow or two.  The dark stars and borders which were stitched in DMC 3371 makes Sunflower Haven even more prim. Don't you think? 


Sunflower Haven has 2 wonky crows and lots of sunflowers

Sunflower Haven was stitched on 14 count coffee tea dyed Aida. If you are interested in seeing how I coffee/ tea dyed my Aida checkout the post entitled  Time to Dye.

Nine DMC floss colors were used in the making of Sunflower Haven which includes: DMC 420, 730, 732, 783, 829, 832, 936, 3371 and 3858. 

FLOSS  : SYMBOL  MOTIF:
DMC 420 (O) House logs      
DMC 730 ( G) Sunflower stems,leaves      
DMC 732 (V) Roof
DMC 783 (Y) Sunflowers
DMC 829 (T) Sunflower Center, Foundation stones
DMC  832 (L)  House Logs
DMC  936 ( 1) Roof, Window and Door Sills
DMC 3371 ( • )  Crows, Borders, Stars, Window Panes
DMC  3858 ( R) Door


🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵

If you are interested in stitching this piece,  just grab , the images. For printing tips, refer to the post Tips for Printing which has loads of tips from my sweet friends. 

🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵🧵


NOTE: I used 2 strands of 3371 and backstitched a star above the doorway. I did not chart this.  You may or may not want to do the same. 







Well, that's the newest house in the neighborhood. The mustard yellows and primness is a little different from some of my previous homes. But I am quite pleased to have this humble home.  Hmmmm.... I would definitely live here. Maybe take the bedroom on the right side where I could look out the window at all of those glorious sunflowers! What do you think? LOL. 

In the coming days, I will show you a new house in the works. 
Well, I have jabbered long enough about my new house . I am so very grateful that you took time out of your busy day to join me today. 

I wish you a day in which you too are twirling about in glee! Love ya!

As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"Wherever life plants you, bloom with grace.  "- Old French Proverb

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy 
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻


 

Homestead Blessings

Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!

🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.

🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.  
🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 
🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade- 2026 A parade of sunflower freebies up to September 3, 2026
🌞Autumn Parade March- 2026 Fall Parade A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 10, 2026.
🌞 A Stomping Stamp Parade 2026  A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to June 2, 2026

🌞Time to Dye-  2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim. 
🌞A Spooky Parade - Halloween freebies up to October  4, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed  this date. 
🌞A Christmas in July Parade of Past Freebies- 2026 A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of July 6, 2026. More Christmas Freebies followed this date. 
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025
🌞Let's Dye Some Fabric- A tutorial on my process of dyeing Aida
🌞Color Tinting Embroidery Designs - Explanation on how I use crayons to color my designs for hand embroidery. - July 9, 2026

34 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Melisa!
    You got your first sunflower...it's beautiful!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabel, I was so surprised. I have tried for years to grow a sunflower. Last year the deer ate them down to the numb just as they were getting a good foothold. So I was over the moon. Thank you for bringing a smile to my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Sunflowers are my favorite flower too - congratulations on growing one! Aren't they beautiful? I used to have miniatures but could never get them to grow correctly - only the big tall ones.
    Thank you for the new house - I love it! Another for my files.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Donna. I planted a whole lot of seed but only got a couple to grow. This one was supposed to be a Mammoth Sunflower but only got about 4 feet high It might be because we have poor soil. I am not sure. I will have to try giving the miniature ones a hand next year. Fingers crossed I can grow one again. LOL. Have a beautiful day, Donna. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Thank youuuu for this beautiful house Melisa! 🌻🌻🌻 And yay for growing your very first sunflower, that's so exciting! I hope many will follow! 😊💕
    3 years ago my daughter and I planted 7 different sunflower varieties in my memory garden for my sister and they have taken over since 😄 All the little birdies are enjoying the seeds in the late summer and spreading them while eating so every year I get more sunflowers all over my garden and they spread sunshine in dreary days. All different sizes and shades of yellow and read. Wish I could show you. 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻 So I really appreciate this pattern and I'm excited to add it to my August sunflower display.
    Enjoy your flower sweet friend! Hope you are well! 💕 Greetings from Maine where the trees have began to change color and there's a autumn-y chill in the air. 🍂🍁🍄🍄‍🟫
    -Alex 🤗🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw dear Alex, how heartwarming. I do believe your ever growing sunflower garden is a beautiful sign from your dear sis. She was a gardener too wasn't she? I am sure she is smiling down from Heaven sending you love and joy. I know that each day that you see those beautiful blooms it makes your heart swell. I began a garden in my sister's honor too. I have been planting a butterfly bush each year in her memory. This year I added marigolds and zinnias in her small garden. It is always such a blessing to see the butterflies and birds in her garden. I am so very honored that you like my little house. I hope it brings warm memories of your sister and your sunflower garden. Thank you so much for brightening my day. Sending you big hugs and much love.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your beautiful sunflower! Now that you've got one going, I bet you have volunteers next year. That is a darling house, love the add-on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I sure hope so Linda. I am going to try my best to grow more next year now that I found the perfect spot for them to grow. I cannot tell you how excited I am ! Thank you for the sweet visit. I hope you have a sunshiny day. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. So fun that you were able to grow your very own sunflower! I have tried off and on to grow hollyhocks and couldn't. My brother had given me seeds, why they didn't take other years I don't know but I have a few that grew this year! And they are in the almost open stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how wonderful that your hollyhocks grew this year! That is another flower that I have had my troubles with as well. Well now that you have some growing I am sure you will have more to come in the years to come. I bet they are so pretty. Keep me posted on the blooms . I do hope you will post them. Have a blessed day and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. The sunflower is so beautiful and exciting. I grew several varieties years ago and loved them. I hope you have success growing them in the future. Sunflower Haven is adorable. I enjoy hearing about your motivation for designing a pattern. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Alicia. I cannot believe that I actually grew one after all of my previous attempts. Now that I know a good growing location, I hope to grow more in the future. I bet your sunflowers were glorious. If you have any growing tips, I sure would like to hear them. I need all the help I can get. Have a beautiful day, sweet friend. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your beautiful sunflower! My birds drop seeds and I get "volunteer" sunflowers all through the summer. Sometimes I don't get the flowers themselves though due to squirrel activity! Lol! It's all OK with me. I love all the commotion in the yard. Sweet house and I loved the story of Granny bathing on the back porch. Oh, the things we take for granted nowadays, eh? Have a twirly day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lucky are you to get volunteer sunflowers. My mom used to get them from the dropping from her bird feeders, but I have never been that lucky. Isn't the commotion of the birds and squirrels a lot of fun to see though? I love watching all of the flurry in the garden with the critters even when they attack the blooms. I am so very grateful to have grown a couple of flowers though. Thank you for the sweet sunny visit. I hope your day is twirly too! Hee! Hee! Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Sunflowers are so gorgeous and you have done it. Kudos to you! We had volunteer ones that came from last year's plants, so we got to enjoy them again. My son & his GF planted two different kinds. They were the only things in the garden this year. Thank you for the newest house stitch. I love the additions look to the house. The family grew and so did the house. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot tell you how over the moon I was when I saw the first bloom. I have tried and tried over the years to grow them with no avail. I am quite surprised that the squirrels did not attack them or the deer, but I did get my first bloom. Oh I bet your son's sunflowers were gorgeous , Ginny. I know how much you missed spending time in the garden this year, but seeing the beautiful sunflowers, I am sure brought joy to your heart. Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs and Blessings

      Delete
  9. Your first sunflower is beautiful. Thank you for the Sunflower Haven pattern and the story behind it. Love the colors you used. K from NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw you are so very kind, K. Thank you so much. I was tickled pink to grow my first sunflower. It wasn't as tall as I hoped but I am just so happy to have grown one. I had a great time stitching Sunflower Haven. The colors just spoke to me . Have a blessed and beautiful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations to you, dear friend! Sunflowers are gorgeous! I found your new post by using my new blog reader! Blogger's news reader has been dead for a week now.
    You can use Feedly or The Old Reader to follow blogs, if you wish, both are free to use.
    You just type in the name of either one in Google and you will find it. You register and then enter the links of the blogs you wish to follow.
    I hope this helps you. Have a lovely week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Linda for telling me about Feedly and The Old Reader and for the sweet visit. I have been trying to stay caught up with my sweet blogging buddies. I will definitely check these out. I was over the moon to finally grow a sunflower. Thankfully the deer didn't get this one. LOL. Have a blessed and beautiful day. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. YEAH your sunflowers is beautiful....I have a garden full thanks to my little helper the chipmunk. he fills his cheeks with black oiled sunflowers seeds, then goes and bury them in my garden. Now he is reaping the rewards. Thank you for another beautiful house, I love it. Vivian from New Brunswick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how interesting and fun, Vivian. I didn't know that chipmunks did that. I bet he is a joy to watch as he plants the seeds of joy. I bet your sunflower garden is magnificent. I sure wish I could see it . I have a little chipmunk that hangs around my patio. I am going to have to watch him to see what he does. LOL Yours is quite a little planter/ harvester. Thank you for the sweet visit . You brought a big smile to my day. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful design Melisa, I love sunflowers!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Diana. This house is a little different than my previous ones, but I enjoyed every stitch. I am so very grateful that you dropped by to visit me. I wish you the most lovely day.Hugs.

      Delete
  13. Your sunflower 🌻 photographs are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very kindly, Cheryl. It has taken years, but I finally grew my first sunflower. LOL. I cannot tell you how excited I am! I wish you a lovely day and thank you again for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Your sunflower is lovely, Melisa. Congrats on getting it to grow. They are such bright and happy flowers to me. The new stitch is quite lovely. I like the back addition and the crows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brenda. I was super excited when it actually bloomed. Sunflowers are one of my favorites, but I have never had any luck growing them. I enjoyed stitching the little prim house. It is a little odd but this house spoke to me. Enjoy your day and thank you so much for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Your newest sunflower house is delightful, Melisa! I might have to put it on my to-be-stitched list, which is getting very long, lol! That's wonderful that you grew a sunflower this year - so did I - just one. But I was so proud of it. Hope you're enjoying your road trip! Safe travels to you and Mr. P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well how fun that you grew your first sunflower too, Diann. Hopefully , we will have more in years to come. Right? Oh I do hope you enjoy this little house once you are get to it, Diann. I am so very honored that you will be adding it to your stitching list. I hope you are enjoying your vacation as well. The photos were amazing! Have a beautiful day and thank you for dropping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Cjongratulations on your first sunflower, Melisa. I've never tried to grow them myself but I always get a pot of small ones from the nursery or garden center in the fall. Sunflower Haven is created from lovely memories. I would like to have seen the inside as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea on getting a small pot of sunflowers from the nursery. I will have to see if our nearest farmer's market sells them during the fall. They just about have anything and everything. I was super excited that I grew a sunflower. I cannot tell you how many times I have tried my hand at growing them. Thank you for the sweet Thursday visit. I hope your day is a lovely one. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. We had volunteer sunflowers one year, but haven't been able to grow any since. Very fun sunflower stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom used to grow volunteer sunflowers, but I have never been able to grow them. So it was a delight to grow one this year. Isn't that funny how it goes? Did yours come up from seed left from birdies? Maybe you will have luck with some volunteers next year. They are always a sweet surprise when you have a volunteer bloom . Sometimes I have volunteer pumpkins. Not this year though. Have a fabulous day, Kate and thank you for dropping by. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Just Stitching and Quilting