Blog Archive

Thursday, July 9, 2026

Playtime ,Thrifting, Toys, and Doodles- A Christmas Freebie

 Eeeh! I have my crayons out, and I am ready to color! 



Happy Embroidery Thursday, y'all. Welcome! Do come in and join me  as I sit down for a little playtime with my colors and colored pencils. 

But first ! How about a thrift haul?  πŸ˜€

Over the July 4th weekend , Mr. Pinker and I found ourselves meandering along the aisles of 2 thrift stores looking for junk / treasures. Would you like to see  what jumped into my buggy? Aaw come on and take a gander. πŸ˜πŸ˜€

You know I cannot resist anything that is red. The big red pot will be perfect for making soups, or perhaps dying fabric. Or who knows-- it may be used for decorating, but for $3.00 I could not leave it behind. By the way, this was the most expensive treasure I bought. So not too bad. 


Two little Fiestaware mugs jumped into my buggy as well. I could not shoo them away since they were red and yellow. Can mugs be cutie patooties? They are to me. ❤πŸ’›❤πŸ’›

 

To all of those vintage collectors out there. Do you know who made this bowl?  The hand painting reminds me of Blue Ridge Pottery which I collect, but I know it is not that. 

 

Nanny had bowls similar to this . She would serve fresh fried taters in them. Yum Yum! Oh how I miss Nanny's cooking. 

Four little gravevine milkglass cups will be perfect to use anytime of the year. 

Is there more you ask? Well there sure is! 

I found this little mass produced quilted sham for a buck. Of course, this can be used on a pillow, but I will fold it and use it for a shelf or table runner. Cute! Cute! Cute! 

And now to my favorite finds which gave me a nifty thrift high! Vintage games and toys for my toy room. πŸ€—

There is Cooties and Bridg- It , a fully packed Tool Chest and the little bead counting toy. Swoon. Can you hear my heart go "Thumpity Thump!"  American made and made around the 50's . ❤❤❤❤

And in the Cootie box was a little chalkboard set. A little extra something- something. 

Do you remember these little horns that you could get at the Five and Dime stores decades ago? Or am I showing my age? Hee! Hee! 


"Childhood is the most beautiful of all life's seasons." - Unknown


While we are here, let me show you the little toy quilt  I made years ago. It is  being displayed with my rough and tumble Raggedy Annie and Andy that I bought years ago. They have gone through some rough times before they came to live with me. Well, let me rephrase that- they were well loved as all dolls should be. Right?  Now they live in a retirement home where they are loved but looked at. πŸ˜„

Alrighty now! Since we are in the toyroom. Let's get to playing. 


Like I said at the beginning of my post, I have my crayons out, and today I am going to be coloring up some doodles on fabric. 

 My newest set of doodles are called A Very Vintage Christmas. 

 A little doodle just for you. ❤❤❤


            My doodles are hand drawn and are never perfect. 


I think a small Christmas quilt is in order. Don't you?

A plethora of small embroidered Christmas  quilts. 


So let me show you how I am color tinting my doodles on fabric. I am not sure if it is the right way , but it is how I tint mine. 

🧡1. First , I draw the image onto my piece of fabric. Usually , I use a light mechanical pencil. Today I used  a Frixion pen.  NOTE: If you use a Frixion pen before embroidery and you heat set the crayons, the ink will disappear. ( Speaking from experience. πŸ˜πŸ˜œπŸ˜€)

🧡2. Next, I use a white crayon and using small circular motions I color the areas I want to tint. 

Color the areas in want to tint with white crayon in small circular motions. This helps the colors to look a little more vibrant and helps in adding depth.- Well at least in my opinion. 

🧡3. Then comes the fun part! Adding the other colors. I layer in colors starting with the light colors using small circular motions. Slowly, I build on those colors with different shades adding depth. 

Ad color a little at a time starting with lights and using darker colors to shade. 

🧡4. I then use my colored pencils to add a little deeper shading. I do not have an affinity for any particular  name brand of pencils. Most of my colored pencils came from the thrift store.

More color is being added and the tinting is getting darker( though it will lighten once pressed) 


🧡5. When it is time to set the color, I place a pressing cloth and paper towel under and over the embroidery piece . This will pick up the "extra" wax and color when pressed and protects your iron. Remember, if you use a Frixion pen to mark your embroidery lines, it will disappear when you press your piece. If that happens just retrace your lines, and then you are ready to embroider. 

Use a pressing cloth  and/ or napkins to protect iron . This also absorbs excess wax as the piece is heat set. The colors will lighten. 

While the grandsons are here today, I will be lounging at the pool working on the embroidery work of this little beauty. 

Sooo... tell me. Have you ever color tinted your embroidery work? And do have any nifty tips and tricks to share? Inquiring minds want to know. Hee! Hee! I am always excited to learn something new . Aren't you? 

Well Sweeties, I am off to play. I wish you the most delightful day. And remember - Stay young at heart! 

As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"What one loves in childhood stays in the heart forever.  "- Mary Jo Putney

Hugs and Stitches!!!!πŸ€—πŸ§΅❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy who remained a kid a heart even into adulthood. She was always up for an adventure and never let grass grew under her feet. 
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„


 Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!

🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.

🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.  
🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 
🌞A Berry Nice Parade- A Look at Past Berry Freebies 2025Early 2025 berry Freebies. 
🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade for 2025 A parade of sunflower freebies up to July 24, 2025
🌞Pumpkin, Leaves and Autumn Please- A Fall Parade 2025 A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 8, 2025.
🌞 A Stomping Stamp Parade 2026  A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to June 2, 2026

🌞Time to Dye-  2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim. 
🌞A Spooky Parade - Halloween freebies up to October  4, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed  this date. 
🌞A Christmas in July Parade of Past Freebies- 2026 A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of July 6, 2026. More Christmas Freebies followed this date. 
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025
🌞Let's Dye Some Fabric- A tutorial on my process of dyeing Aida



























 














38 comments:

  1. I bet you're a hoot in the thrift store! I love seeing all your finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I love going to the thrift stores. You never know what you will find. Today was a bust but that is ok . There is always the next visit. Thank you for bringing a smile to my day, Kathy. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. I've never colored them myself, but I've seen tutorials that use watercolor pencils.
    Thanks for sharing how you do it, Melisa!
    Hugs from Seville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun, Isabel. I have a set of watercolor pencils . I will have to try them. It is always interesting to try different brands and types. Thank you for the sweet visit.Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Robin. I had a great time checking out new places to thrift. I think it was my lucky day to find a few treasures. LOL. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Wow you really did get some treasures! I'd be right by your side throwing things in my basket. My Mom had a plate with a design similar to the one that reads ironstone - she had it mounted in the kitchen on the ironing board door - you know the kind I'm talking about? She never used the ironing board, so she decorated the door - lol! That is a darling red pot, and the Fiestaware mugs are always welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw what a lovely memory . Do you have your mom's plate? It would be a treasure if you did. What a clever idea of hanging it on the ironing board door. I bet it looked so pretty. I have always had an affection for dinnerware especially bowls and plates. This one is a good size for serving sides. Thank you for the sweet visit, Linda. Hugs

      Delete
  5. Wow - I love how you find some very cool things while thrifting. I wish I had more room for treasures like these!
    I once did some embroidery in my "early" years (2012) while caring for my grandson and granddaughter. It was when Aurifil was doing an embroidery freebie of the month. Anyway, my then grandson of 3? (now 17) helped color in a little bird on a branch with crayons. I stitched around it and when it was finished, I framed it. It's in storage right now I think. Thank you for the precious memory - kinda makes me teary-eyed. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw what a special keepsake, Donna and a beautiful memory made with your grandson. And framing it was a fabulous idea. I bet your grandson would get a kick out of seeing it. I understand about getting teary eyed. They grow up way too fast don't they? Thank you for the sweet visit and special memory. You brought a smile to my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. You find the best treasures. I didn't recognize either of the brands. Your little toy quilt is a cutie! What a great tutorial about coloring/shading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw you are so kind, Terry. Thank you so much. I always enjoy treasure hunting especially for vintage items. It was a good day for thrifting. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Thrifting with you would be a really fun day. What treasures you found. The grapevine milk glass is one of my china patterns I inherited from my mother. Thank you so much for the new Christmas doodles and tutorial on coloring them. Christmas in July has begun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw how sweet and how fortunate you are to have your mom's china. I am sure you treasure the pieces you have. My mom also got me hooked on milk glass years and years ago. I am fortunate to have some of hers and my Great aunt's. You are so welcome on the doodles. I am excited for Christmas in July. Thank you for dropping by, Ginny . Hugs.

      Delete
  8. What a successful thrifty weekend you had! My mom had some of those flower bowls too! I think she inherited them from her mother. She never used them that I can recall. Glad your Nanny did! Thanks for sharing how you color your embroideries. I did a project that way and really enjoyed. I should do it again soon! Have a great day, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw does your mom still have her bowls? I think the pattern is so pretty. I was happy to find this one in the thrift store. It is a good size and brought back a fond memory. Coloring and embroidery work is very relaxing. The coloring makes me feel like a kid again. LOL. Thank you so much, Susie for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. So jelly of the cute toys you found at the thrift store!! I do find treasures at mine but have never found vintage toys! I love your sweet quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Rosemary. It is a hit or a miss at the thrift stores. The Cooties game brought back lots of fond memories , but I wasn't familiar with Bridg It . It sounds like a fun game. I am so glad you find treasures at your favorite thrift store. Hopefully, you will find some vintage toys someday. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. I am old and remember many things from the 40's up. I have been a Fiesta collector for many years now. So has my sister. She has more than I do. My son will not want my collection, so I do not quite know what to do with it. All the colors are just glorious to me. We started collecting because we remembered our Aunt Hazel had a Fiesta collection. I have these tall mugs that I use every day, and bowls, pitchers, vases, salt and pepper, sugar and cream, old retired colors, glasses, utensils, knives, forks and spoons, new colors. If anyone might be interested let me know at brendafurlong@bellsouth.net.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw it sounds like you and your sister have an amazing collection, Brenda and it is so sweet that it all started in memory of your Aunt Hazel and her collection. I bet a lot of the pieces bring back many fond memories of finding them. It is so sweet to hear that this is a collection that you enjoyed growing with your sister. It reminds me of my sister and how we would collect things together. Thank you for the sweet visit. You brought a smile to my day. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. I always love seeing your thrift stores treasures and I love love your Ann and Andy! I had to give mine to my niece when I got married. She would come to my room at my parents and hugged them all the time (I had to leave my hometown so I couldn't take them with me. But it just happens that I still have the pattern and I brought it with me and I just cut all the pieces! I will be sewing them soon!
    For coloring an embroidery work, I use watercolor pencils and then I wet the brush with aloe vera 100% gel - no alcohol (they have it at Walmart) and paint on them carefully, let it dry and iron with a protective layer of baking paper. I did this for a sunglases case, and after some time of using it I washed it only once and most of the colors stayed.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it warms your heart knowing that your cherished Raggedy Ann and Andy are being loved by your niece. It is so wonderful that you saved your pattern. I hope you will share your progress on making them on your blog, Diana. My Nanny was a doll maker and I have so many Annies, but alas, I did not inherit her talent of doll making. Annies are some of my favorites. Thank you so much for sharing the tip about using watercolors and aloe vera. I have some of that . I will give it a try. Thank you for the sweet visit Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Today I had a quick visit to the thrift shop and bought nothing. That can happen.
    Love your little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that happened to me today too, Annelies. Oh well , there is always next time . Right? Thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. You have the most amazing vintage pieces, Melisa. You find the best items and great prices! I've never color-tinted embroidery but I do enjoy seeing your work. I hope you have been having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Jeanna. I enjoy the vintagey items. They often bring back fond memories. It is always a good day when I visit a "fair priced" thrift store. I wish they all were that way. Have a fabulous weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. I always loved my grandma's Fiestaware, so I bought my own set several years ago now. It came with those little tea cups, too! I have colored my embroidery with colored pencils, but should really try it with the crayons and heat setting the color. Your doodles are always so adorable, Melisa! Thanks for the reminder about the Frixion pens and heat - that's also how I trace my embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw that is wonderful that you have your own set of Fiestaware. You sound like me in that you enjoy things that remind you of your grandma. Its fun to add a little color to the embroidery work. I finished the first piece today. Have a great weekend, Diann. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. I have a bowl just like your thrifted one. I also got mine at a thrift store πŸ˜„
    Ive crayon tinted lots of things. It’s fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun and even better that you got it at a thrifty price. Yes, crayon tinting is a lot of fun and relaxing too. Have an awesome day and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. You had a great day thrifting - wonderful purchases. I have the grapevine milk glass from my maternal grandmother - I pick up pieces when I find them. The Christmas doodles are adorable. Thanks for the tutorial. I am going to try it! Have a great evening. Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw it is so sweet that you have your grandma's milk glass - such a treasure. I enjoy picking up any milk glass at the thrift stores if they are good prices. I used to see it all of the time - now not so much. Thank you for the sweet visit, Alicia. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

      Delete
  17. What treasures you found, Melisa! Love the bowl and cups, especially the milk glass. I've color tinted a few things with crayons and colored pencils, but not a lot. It was fun. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great day thrifting my way back home from our camping trip. We were fortunate to find a few pieces. Oh yes, color tinting is lots of fun and very relaxing. It is a great project for the kids too. Thank you for the sweet visit, Brenda. Have a lovely day. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. I love thrift stores! And I love taking a journey back in time! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely photos. So many beautiful treasures! Brings fond memories of my childhood back. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw it warms my heart to hear that these little treasures brought back fond memories. You never know what you will find at thrift stores do you? Thank you for the sweet visit, Linda. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  19. You found some wonderful treasures during your holiday treasure hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Kate. It is always a hit or a miss. This trip was a hit. Have a great weekend. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

The Colors of the Garden- Wordless Wednesday