Blog Archive

Monday, August 17, 2026

The Changing of the Quilts

It's time to change the quilts. 

Goodbye Patriotic quilts! 


Hello Late Summer Quilts!


The 3 vintage, thrifted shutters that I have propped against the wall are all decked out for the month of August. 🐝🌻

It is "Bee and Sunflower Time" in the foyer, and some bright and  sunny quilts hopped out of storage in order  to celebrate . 


Front and center is the Scrappy Bee Skep Quilt. I shared how I created this simple quilt in 2021 along with the applique pattern.
 

Over the Bee Skep quilt, I pinned a little quilt called "Buzz"  that I embroidered a few years ago . Last year it was displayed on the Coca Cola crate on the hutch. 


 On the 2nd vintage shutter, I draped a simple yellow patch quilt top that I purchased at the thrift store years ago. It was certainly cheery enough to enjoy for my late summer quilt display.  Don't you think? 😀💛


A little chicken wall hanging joins the yellow/ white patch quilt.  I appliqued this small quilt years  many years ago using scraps from the bin. Oh, I do love chickens! 


"Sing a song of sixpence a pocket full of rye; Four and twenty blackbirds baked into a pie. "


The quilt on the 3rd shutter in the back is called "Four and Twenty Blackbirds" . 


There are 24 crows on this quilt . 


Some are appliqued, but most of the birds are  quilted in.


 This quilt is always displayed in the fall when I pull out my crow decor. 

Speaking of fall, I am already dreaming of fall decorating. Are you? 

Meanwhile though, I will enjoy the sunny colors for a while longer.  


Have a sun shiny day!  

 As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"Change can be beautiful .   "- unknown

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 
🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

Maple leaf quilting 

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet. 

Frederique at   Quilting Patchwork Applique for Patchwork & Quilts - Saturday

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Kate at Life in Pieces for  Stitching Stuff ( Sunday) 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Carol at Quilt Schmilt  for To Do List Tuesday 






30 comments:

  1. Sing a song of sixpence, I remember that little song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was always a favorite rhyme when I was young. I have a soft spot for blackbirds. LOL. Thank you for the sweet visit, Jenny. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. So very cheerful, Melisa. I love all the sunny quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Susie. It was fun to brighten up the small hallway. Changing the quilts on those small shutters is always a favorite. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I love the sunny warm colors of this time of year! So fun to see the quilts you're putting out to decorate with, Melisa. The yellow and white quilt you found at the thrift shop is lovely. Do you think you'll finish it someday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do too, Diann. And the yellows are easy to move towards the early part of Fall too. I do believe I will finish it . Not long after, I found a yellow and red patchwork quilt which was very similar. I think it may come before this one though. Thank you for the sweet Monday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. Oh I love seeing your seasonal decorations, you really have an eye for pairing beautiful colors and beautiful things. Those bee quilts are lovely, and I love Four and Twenty Blackbirds! Thank you for sharing your pretty and sunny projects and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first little area that I make seasonal changes. I always enjoy pulling out the quilts first. Thank you so much for bringing a smile to my day and for the sweet visit, Frederique. You are always so kind and encouraging. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  5. Very fun quilts for late summer. That yellow and white check is so simple, but still very pretty. It's a nice balance, pretty with fun, like the crow quilt. Fingers crossed we don't have a lot of summer left. I'm ready for some fall like temps, even if they are on the high side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much, Kate. I was drawn to the bright colors but simplicity of the little yellow quilt. Here of late, I have been dreaming of perhaps making a blue one that is if I get a few other projects checked off my list. LOL. Have a blessed day and try to stay cool. It is going to be another hot one here too. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Vicki. The yellow brings in a little bit of sunshine before the change up to fall colors. I hope you are having a great day. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful late summery quilts, Melisa! I am still decked out in patriotic decor here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Robin. It was sorta hard to put away my patriotic quilts especially this year. I still have a small patriotic display which will stay up until Labor Day I think patriotic is some of my favorite items to have on display so you enjoy every minute of yours. Have a fabulous day, sweet friend . Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful change of seasons quilts, Melisa;))) I love those crows...and all the sunflowery fabrics...
    you have such a lovely collection for display...
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you very kindly, Julierose. The crow quilt is one of my favorites to bring out usually in the fall. Even after all of these years, I still decorate the foyer in crows come fall time and that is when it is front and center. I hope you are still enjoying the cooler weather. I tried to sit out on my patio yesterday for some outdoor stitching, but wheew it was still too hot. LOL. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. The hallway looks beautiful and very colorful with those lovely quilts.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you very kindly, Isabel. The yellows and sunflowers bring in a little sunshine which certainly makes me happy. I hope you are having a great day and it is not too hot in your neck of the woods. Warm hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  10. Love all your yellows!! I am dreaming of fall - And have some plaid quilts in mind to go on my couches - but you are the master at decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun, Alycia. I hope you will post a photo of your couches all decked out in plaids come fall time. I have always had an affection for plaid fabrics but find they are scarce to find in our area so I have resorted to collecting pretty plaid men's shirts for future quilts. Thank you for the sweet Tuesday visit. Have a blessed day. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Your yellows are so, so pretty Melisa. I like the time of "late summer" so much better than "early summer", and I'll be so glad when it's "early fall"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Linda. Yellow is one of my favorite colors so I am always excited to pull out those sunny quilts. Early fall is a pretty time of the year too especially when the leaves begin to change. I have been following the weather in certain parts of TX and it still is a hot one there. I hope you are staying cool . Warm hugs and blessings , sweet friend.

      Delete
  12. I love your late summer quilts, Melisa. I'm so ready for summer to turn to fall, whatever that may look like in the south! LOL Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings. Have a great week, my friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL sometimes it is still a scorcher in the South even into early fall isn't it. I don't know what to expect with the weather here. It has been hot but we are getting unexpected showers. Oh well, all I can do is roll with it. Thank you for the sweet visit, Brenda. I hope your day is off to a lovely start. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. I love your sunny quilts. Do you have patterns for the Buzz, Chicken, and 4 and 20 blackbirds quilts? Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw shucks, Thank you so much, Lydia. Those are some of my favorite little quilts to bring out this time of the year. Especially Buzz. I made those nigh 15 + years ago or so. I will have to see about drafting a little pattern for them to share. . I am so touched that you asked about them. I cannot thank you enough not only for the sweet visit but for the inspiration and encouragement as well. I hope you are having a lovely day and are getting in some stitching time of your own. Have a beautiful and blessed day. Warm hugs.

      Delete
  14. Some fun quilts came out to play. Love the blackbirds in a pie quilt. Too cute! Hope you are feeling a little better. I know ribs are a long haul. Prayers and gentle hugs coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Ginny. I am feeling a lot better with each passing day. Hubby built a rail to help me get up and down the camper steps which was so nice . Whenever I change up the foyer/ Hall - the quilts are the first thing I change out. I had a great time choosing which ones to hang up this year. Thank you for the sweet prayers and well wishes. That means the world to me. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. Let the sun in! Beautiful display for August. I love that little chicken too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL these quilts certainly makes the foyer a whole lot brighter which makes me one happy gal. I have a thing for chickens, Astrid. LOL. I have had this little chicken figurine for years and it is heavy . Thank you for the sweet visit. I hope you are having a lovely week. Hugs.

      Delete

Popular Posts

A Sunny Sunflower Parade - 2026