Saturday, June 13, 2020

Tomato Pincushion Tutorial

You know that anyone who sews loves a good ole' pincushion. Pincushions have dated back all the way to the Middle Ages in Europe where they were called pimpilowes , pin pillows or pin poppets. They  were typically filled with cotton, wool, horse hair, sawdust or even emery  powder in order to sharpen the pins.  


Tomato shaped pincushions came  into fashion during the Victorian times. It was believed that placing a tomato on the ledge of the window would ward away evil spirits, and guarantee prosperity. When tomatoes were out of season, red balls of fabric were fashioned and placed on the ledge where pins eventually were stored. 


 So are you ready to make a tomato pincushion? There are a number of ways to make a tomato pincushion which I have tried a few, but the following instructions is how I made mine today. 

Let's begin with the supplies:  
3 1/2" x 10” scrap piece of red fabric for tomato
2” scrap of red fabric,  ( from same fabric you are making your tomato)
2- 3” green wool fabric scraps, 
embroidery floss of your color choice,
thread
needle
florist sand
doll making needle
batting or polyfil (optional).
thimble (optional)
pliers (optional)

Are you ready? Let's go !

1. Cut your red piece of fabric to a 3 ½” x 10” rectangle.



2. Fold fabric in ½  placing right sides together and using about a ¼” seam allowance, sew down the short side of the fabric creating a little tube. 


3. About a ¼” from the bottom of your tomato unit , stitch a running stitch leaving long ends of thread so you can gather the bottom afterward.    I used a double cotton thread, but you could also use floss.   Gather and cinch closing the ends securely.


4. Now turn the tomato right side out. Using a pencil or chopstick delicately make the folds of the bottom of the tomato pleasing. 



5. I then ran another running stitch at the top of the tomato form - about ¼” from the top leaving long ends of thread so later I can gather it. I am not ready to gather yet though. I just wanted to have the running stitch ready before filling my tomato. ( You can do this after filling the tomato; it is up to you. I just found it easier to have the gathering stitch already in place. ) 

6. Now you are ready to fill. I first put a little quilt batting or poly fil in the bottom but this is optional.

7. Then I poured florist sand into the tomato form. Now this can be a little messy , but I just used a little spoon. Fill leaving about an inch of space from the top.  Tap sand in place so it can settle a bit. Next I added a little batting or polyfil to cover up the sand. 


8. Now it is time to close your tomato. Gather the running stitch that you had made at the top and cinch the top closed securing the edges and closing the hole completely. 




9. Using about a yard of 2 strand embroidery floss  color of your choice  and a long doll making needle ( a long needle just makes it easier) , make the grooves of the tomato . I started at the bottom  going through the core of the tomato, wrapped the floss to the top and went through the top to the bottom. I then went to the opposite side of the tomato to create an even spaced groove. Do this all around the tomato . This will tighten up the tomato too. Adjust the folds of the fabric as you go by adjusting fabric and floss to keep the puckers looking nice. Tie floss off.  Now with this step I did use a pliers to help pull the needle through and a thimble to push the needle. You may do just fine without having to do this -try what works best for you.


10. It is time for the green top of the tomato. Free hand  draw a 6 pointed star or a star burst template.  ( I just used my star burst pattern that I use for my strawberry pin cushions). Using the template cut the top out of felt or wool.  I ended up cutting 2 tops per pincushion for a layered look , but you can use one if you like.


11. Tack the green wool tops to the top of the tomato with a little fabric glue , tack stitch in place leaving the edges free for a 3d effect. Add a button. ( as I did)  OR Whip stitch  the green top of your tomato laying down each edge.  It’s your tomato. Have fun. 


12. I next took the 3" scrap of red fabric and cut out a quarter size circle. I added the circle to the bottom of the tomato just to cover the indentation. This is totally optional.



13. Now your pincushions is complete . Put some pins in it and enjoy. Happy Stitching, ya'll.

5 comments:

  1. Your pin cushions are so cute! Thanks for making a tutorial. I've made one before, but it was a little bit more complicated that your pattern. I will try it your way next, it is so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Chari. I love making pincushions. I have used other patterns too. I haven't decided which is my favorite, but I am enjoying this cushion filled with sand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my original tomato pin cushion that my mother bought e when I had my first Home Ec class a very long time ago!!! I have make tea cup pin cushions though!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Deb. I love pin cushions. That is so amazing that you have your 1st tomato pin cushion. I wish I had mine. I do have my grandmother's pin cushion that she made from an old jar. She put buttons in the bottom of the jar. That is a great idea of using a tea cup . Thank you so much for checking out my blog. I have admired yours and been inspired by yours for years, but just recently learned how to blog and follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable, and you were generous right from the start with a great tutorial. Gotta find a good red and make one! I use crushed walnut shells inside, because it's still squishy and it makes needles and pins sharper, like emory does. Thank you. I'm back at the start, 'cause I don't want to miss one of your cheerful posts! You and your wonderful work might be addictive. I don't think you can pull me to the dark side of XS, but I'll definitely appreciate those designs on behalf of my friends who ALL XS. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Here We Go! And the April Doodle