Blog Archive

Sunday, August 9, 2026

A Little Bit of This and That

It's that time! 

For the kids to pack up  their books, pencils and paper.


Old school books ready to be leafed through. 


For the teachers to dust off the chalkboard. 

Old children's chalkboards

And for Mamas to celebrate!  Yeehaw! 😀😂

My daughter joked that she would be at school with the kids as soon as the doors opened. 😅


It's Back to School Time!!!!

A Sunday quilt stack all ready for school time. 


Well it is for some kiddos. Our grandsons' first day of school was last Friday. The Little One was thrilled to pieces that he got the teacher that he wanted ( She taught his brother a couple of years ago. ) 

Do you remember the excitement of the first day of school? Carrying the latest trendy Trapper Keeper , a school box of crayons, pencils and scissors?   

⭐ "Reach for the stars."   

2024 Back to School Display. 

🍎"Encouragement is oxygen to the soul."- George M. Adams 🍎

I sure do wish all of the students and teachers a wonderful school year. 🤗



ON TO QUILTY NEWS! 

Buttercream fabric and a plethora of scraps is what I am using on Melva's  free Quilt Along called Lala's Irish Chain SAL

Y'all, I will be honest. I am a bit behind not only on my quilting but on my stitching too . Still, I am plugging right along though.  😊

Melva is recreating her great grandma Lala's antique Irish Chain quilt and has invited us to sew along. It is a nine week sew along and like all of Melva's SAL ; it is sure to be loads of fun. In fact, she is sharing stories and photos of her Great Grandma Lala. I do hope you will hop over to visit, Melva. 

Melva's Schedule for Lala's Irish Chain SAL: 

Week 1 Cutting Instructions and Introduction: 

Week 2 Setting Blocks with Cornerstones

Week 3 Frame Setting the Blocks. 

Week 4 Patchwork Set 1

Week 5 Patchwork Set 2

Week 6  5 x 5 Patchwork Blocks

Week 7 Layout and Top

Week 8 Border

Week 9 Sandwich and Quilt

WHAT ABOUT CROSS STITCHING?

 Well, in other news, I fully finished  Tomatoes into a pin pillow with a scrap of fabric and some crocheted lace.  I shared this stitch a few months ago, and it has been waiting in the wings patiently to be finished. 


Now onto the Plans for the Week

This past week I was out of commission due to a fall , but hopefully, I will be moving around better and  will have the strength to do a little more. My mojo has been waning as well. Does that ever happen to you? Anywhooo... I will keep the "To Do List" short and sweet . 

Hmm.... What Should I do This Week? 

🌞1. Work on Melva's QAL
🌞2. Embroider September's Roundabout. 


🌞3. Begin a new saltbox cross stitch.   
🌞4. Quilt on Pretty in Peach Butterfly quilt.

 
As you can see I am not going to overdo it  this week. Hee! Hee! But I am sure more projects will come into play. They often do. 

Thank you for taking the time to join me on this lovely day. 
 

As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"some of the best discoveries are made when we simply try.  "- 

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy  who loved to host "Back to School Bashes" for the kiddos. I do miss those times. 
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻


 Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!

🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.

🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.  

🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 
🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade for 2025 A parade of sunflower freebies up to July 24, 2025
🌞Pumpkin, Leaves and Autumn Please- A Fall Parade 2025 A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 8, 2025.
🌞 A Stomping Stamp Parade 2026  A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to June 2, 2026

🌞Time to Dye-  2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim. 
🌞A Spooky Parade - Halloween freebies up to October  4, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed  this date. 
🌞A Christmas in July Parade of Past Freebies- 2026 A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of July 6, 2026. More Christmas Freebies followed this date. 
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025
🌞Let's Dye Some Fabric- A tutorial on my process of dyeing Aida 

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet. 


Frederique at   Quilting Patchwork Applique for Patchwork & Quilts - Saturday

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Kate at Life in Pieces for  Stitching Stuff ( Sunday) 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Carol at Quilt Schmilt  for To Do List Tuesday 





40 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you had a fall. Hope you heal quickly!
    Tomatoes is cute! My mother had a tomato pin cushion when I was little. My brother used to use it as an indoor hockey puck….
    I made an Irish chain quilt many years ago. Happy stitching! Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw what a sweet memory of your brother and your Mom's pincushion. LOL Boys will be boys. Thank you so much for the well wishes, Gail. The camper steps were slippery after a rain . Hubby is going to fix a rail for me to use in the future. Have a blessed day . Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Good morning Melisa,I hope you are feeling oke after your fall..sometimes it happens...a bit to quick and there you are....Get enough rest and stitch your day away... We are enjoying the summer..a bit too hot sometimes but all the flowers in the garden are thriving...with a lot of watering! Love from Marianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, dear Marianne. Oh yes, those things happened. I fell down my camper steps after a rain. I will certainly be more careful next time. It is so exciting to hear that your flowers are flourishing. I bet you are staying busy. I saw my first snails on my zinnias the other day and I thought of you and how you have had problems with them. Wheww! They sure can do some damage. Have a blessed day, sweet friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I hope you're feeling much better after your fall, Melisa!
    I wish all students a very happy start to the school year.
    In Spain, classes don't begin until the first weeks of September.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Isabel. I feel like I am getting better each day. My doctor said it would take about a month to get back to normal. Wheew ! Those things happen though. I miss the days when the students went back to school in September. Those were the good old days. LOL. Hugs and Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Good Morning my friend! I'm so sorry to hear of your fall and pray you are healed soon!
    We are back from our long summer jaunt. I worked on several Villa Rosa patterns, made covers for our couch, and I'm in the process of putting together patterns (yours!), fabric, and floss for Christmas ornies. I'm also repairing a quilt that has been loved by kids, mom and dad, their dogs, and the washing machine - yeah - the washer really didn't love it - that's why it's being repaired! ;-)
    I've been looking at Melva's Irish chain quilt and am thinking that would be fun but the Little House patterns are still languishing in a folder on my laptop - should I save or just let it go. It's only squares and rectangles, Donna! How hard could it be? LOL!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Monday, Donna. I have been wondering about your travels. I hope you are getting all rested and settled after being on the road so long. It sounds like you stayed super busy on your down time while traveling. Isn't it a blessing to have a hobby that we can enjoy even when on the road. Oooh I say go for it on Melva's Irish Chain quilt. Hee! Hee! I am such an enabler. LOL. I worked on mine today and pieced 8 of the blocks. It was nice to be at the sewing machine. I could actually cut fabric without being in too much discomfort too. I actually fell while on a camping trip. So when you are out and about, do be careful going down the steps. Warm hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry to hear of your fall. Glad you are on the mend. Sounds like some slow stitching is at hand. Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Amy. Oh yes, I have been taking it easy. It was just this past weekend that I finally got out after being cooped up for a few days. I have been spending this time working on my butterfly quilt. The slow stitching has been bringing me loads of comfort. I wish you a lovely start to your week. Warm hugs.

      Delete
  6. Oh, my….sorry to hear you had a fall, Melisa. I’m thankful that you are on the mend. Please take care of your precious self! We need you, your joy, and your gift of stitching! Praying that you will feel 100% very soon! 💕🙏🏻🙏🏻💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw you are the sweetest. Thank you so much for the sweet well wishes and for bringing a smile to my day. Oh it was just one of those things that happens on a rainy day - I fell down the steps. Clumsy me! Hee! Hee! But I am on the mend and am determined to get back into my groove. Have a blessed day and a fabulous week. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Oh, my….sorry to hear you had a fall, Melisa. I’m thankful that you are on the mend. Please take care of your precious self! We need you, your joy, and your gift of stitching! Praying that you will feel 100% very soon! 💕🙏🏻🙏🏻💕

    Reply

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melisa, I'm so sorry to hear that you had a fall. I hope you're getting better and not feeling too much pain. I have always loved the start of the school year, and although I'm happy to be a retired teacher, it's a little bittersweet, too. Your start on Melva's Irish Chain QAL is lovely - pretty yellow background fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Diann. It was just one of those unexpected things. I could not catch myself before I went bouncing down the steps . It is no fun getting old. I am enjoying Melva's SAL. I was able to piece on a number of blocks today. Have a fabulous evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. I can't believe it's time for school again. Our littlest grands start mid week, and I'm sure they are excited about it. Your peach butterfly quilt is just beautiful! Love the photos of your house and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how fun, Linda. I hope your grandchildren have a great school year. Summer vacation just goes way too quickly . Doesn't it? Thank you so much for the kind compliments on my quilt and flowers. My flowers are starting to feel the effects of the heat , this time of the year, but they have been a joy . Have a great evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Oh Melisa, I am sorry to hear that you fell. I hope your body is doing better this week. School begins here in the county tomorrow, the 11th. I hope your boys have the best years yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Robin. It was just one of those things that happens every now and then which made me feel quite foolish. LOL, but I am on the mend. It seems like the school year just starts back earlier and earlier every year. Don't you think? I wish you a wonderful week ahead. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Hope you have found that mojo, mine was a bit low recently. Sorry to hear you fell, hope you are back to normal very soon. You should check out my blog post today, that last photo might just make you smile:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is no fun when our mojo goes to the wayside . Is it, Vicki? LOL. I had such a great time catching up on all of your posts, Vicki. I even started pulling out a few fall quilts after seeing yours. And I love your Summer stitch. You certainly did bring a smile to my day. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Have a great day in the quilt room. I know you are staying super busy. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. So sorry to hear about your fall! I too know from experience that the ground is a lot farther down when you’re an adult compared to when you fell as a child! I just finished all the patriotic stamps and will be finishing them into the little pin keep pillows to fill a bowl on my table. They were so fun and I found the perfect fabric for the back! Now I’m anxious to start the Halloween stamps. Thank you so much for all of your beautiful charts and doodles which I use to do punchneedle embroidery. You bring such great joy to all who follow you and stitch your projects. Hope you are on the mend, blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thank you so much for the well wishes and for making my day. It just warms my heart something good to hear that you enjoy my little stitches and doodles. I am so excited that you enjoyed the patriotic stamps. I hope you enjoy the Halloween ones just as much. I had a great time stitching them. I wish you a fabulous week and Happy stitching. Warm hugs.

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear you fell, I hope you feel better this week. I plan to stitch Tomatoes and start on one of your cute houses. Also get started on a quilt. I get in slumps where it is hard to get started on projects, but I have lots of plans. 😀 Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much Janet for the well wishes. It was just one of those rainy day slips down the steps that sometimes happen. LOL I will be more careful next time. Oh , I am so excited to hear about your plans. I hope you enjoy Tomatoes and I cannot wait to hear which house you choose. I hope to post a new one this week. Yah on the new quilt! What kind of quilt are you making? You are staying super busy. Please keep me posted on your progress. Happy quilting and stitching. Hugs.

      Delete
  14. Hope you are ok after the fall, Melisa. I have gotten myself overwhelmed with all I need to do, and with the recent trip to Florida, I've lost my mojo. I have no choice but to power through, like you. I love the Tomatoes finish. I saved that one to stitch one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Jeanna. I completely understand why you have lost your mojo. It is a difficult time for you and your family . Do take care of yourself and just do what you feel like doing. Your mojo will return in due time. Warm gentle hugs. You are in my prayers, sweet friend.

      Delete
  15. Oh ouch--;(((((( so sorry to hear about your fall, Melisa--hope you are okay and starting to feel better....So scarey when that happens...I know I tend to whiz about way too fast these days--I need to slow myself down to avoid any other mishaps...I tripped and fell over the doorway out onto the deck a few weeks ago; luckily nothing got broken...S L O W is the way to go....:)))

    I love that butterfly piece so much--I hope you can recuperate and work on it for a bit--rest up and try not to overdo...sending hugs and healing thoughts...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you are so right, Julierose. That is what hubby told me- to slow it down and wait for him. Hee! Hee! I was going down the camper steps when slip- down I went.! I am so glad that you are okay and did not break anything. I ended up with some broken ribs. Ouchy! Thank you for the well wishes sweet friend. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Oooh, falls are no fun at all. Glad you are back to being up and around. You've got some fun projects in the works. The tomato stitchery turned out really cute. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Kate. Hubby told me today that I still needed to rest , but I am tired of doing that. I am ready to get some things done. LOL. It is hard to stay still when there is so much I want to do. I hope you are having a great day in the sewing room. I finally got to sit down with my machine and it was a delight. Hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  17. Ouch! Falls are never any fun and the recovery always feels like it takes forever. Hope you're back on your feet again. In the meantime, stitching will help you keep your mind off it AND keep your hands busy. School starts here this Thursday, the 13th. I'm looking forward to seeing the school bus cruise our neighborhood again! Lol! Happy sewing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Susie . It does seem like recovery takes forever. My doctor said it would take about a month for all to heal. But I am feeling better and am moving around a lot better which is nice. Oh yes, the slow stitching has been great comfort. I hope to make progress on my quilt this week. It is hard to believe that summer vacation is already over with for a lot of kiddos. LOL. Summer just flies by. Thank you for the sweet visit and well wishes. Hugs.

      Delete
  18. Dear Melisa, I am so sorry to hear 😢 about your fall. I hope you recover soon, and thoroughly, dear friend.
    Your photos are beautiful. And I love seeing your creative talent. Thank you so much for sharing. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Linda. It was just one of those unexpected things. I really should have been more careful as I went down the steps on a rainy day. You are just the sweetest. I truly appreciate your kindness and sweet visit. Warm hugs

      Delete
  19. Sorry your mojo is not bursting with sewing ideas/activities. I really understand what you are going through. Sometimes I'm all into stitching my projects and sometimes books grab my attention or playing games on my phone. Hope you get highly motivated soon. In the meantime enjoy relaxing a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the pits when your mojo wanes? You are so lucky that you enjoy other activities to keep your attention until you feel like getting back into sewing. I do need to check out some good games; that would be lots of fun. Thank you for the sweet visit, Bonnie and for bringing a smile to my day. Have a lovely week in the sewing room. Hugs.

      Delete
  20. Oh my Melisa I'm sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you recover quickly! Your patterns always bring me such joy to stitch! I understand very much about creative freezes sometimes. But the urge always comes back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much for the sweet well wishes. I am feeling better each and every day. I cannot tell you how much it means to me to hear that you enjoy my humble little charts. It truly means the world. I think that the more I am able to move around and do things the quicker my mojo will come back. I wish you the most lovely week ahead. Hugs.

      Delete
  21. YAY!! A Saltbox in the works!! Take good care of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Bee Haven Cottage- A House Freebie