Blog Archive

Sunday, October 4, 2026

Just Stitching and Quilting

In 2 shakes of a lamb's "cat's" tail ,   Prim Cat and Pumpkins Pinkeep   was all stitched up, and it didn't take long to fully finish it into a simple little pillow either ! 

Sometimes it feels good to work on something super simple. Doesn't it? 

Prim Cat and Pumpkins Pinkeep was stitched on 14 count coffee/ tea dyed Aida. 

 Yee Haw! A new house is in the works.


Oh bummer, I am sorry to inform you that the house under construction already has an infestation problem. 🐿 Hee! Hee!  Should I shoo the squirrels away?! Hmmm... I don't think so. I will see what mischief they get into first.

The Squirrel House is nearing completion. 

On the Halloween Stitching Front...

Witch Hazel has cast a spell on  me and has me  going out of my comfort zone. She was adamant that her house must be purple, and there was no convincing her otherwise. 💜
What's a girl to do? But to STITCH! STITCH! STITCH! on a  plum purple house as ghostly spirits watch  my every move. 👻👻👻



ON THE QUILTING FRONT... Well...

Four more blocks were pieced on Melva's Irish Chain Stitch along. 

I thought I was on a roll and ready to sew my blocks into rows when..... SCREECH!  STOP! 

I laid my blocks out and realized I did not have enough. Oh Fiddlesticks! I had miscounted. I need 8 more chain blocks and 7 more yellow blocks. So I will be working the "Chain Gang"! 


As I was stacking my blocks I paused when I saw one block had a mistake. EEEEK! Do you see it ? I placed a green square in the corner when there should have been a red one. Thankfully, that will be a super quick fix. Sooo.... Mrs. Jackie Ripper will be coming out today.  And I may rework some of the other blocks with the dark blues. Sigh. 😏😊

Oopsie - daisy! I made a mistake. I need to do some ripping! 

So these are  my projects for the week. 
Have you made your plans for the week?  I  would love to hear what you are working on. 

As Always...

Happy  Stitching and Quilting, y'all

Melisa 

"A busy day is a good day.  "-

Hugs and Stitches!!!!🤗🧵❤

Dedicated to my dear sister, Amy 
 I love and miss you so much.. Love you , Amo. 

🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃


A fall Sunday quilt stack on my favorite sunny child's chair. 

 Other Posts That Might Strike Your Fancy!

🌞Parade of Homes 2026- Early 2026 parade of home freebies.
🌞2026 Love Parade- A Parade of Previous Valentine Freebies- Valentine themed stitches up to Feb. 4, 2026.  
🌞 Root A Toot Toot Patriotic Parade Early 2024 patriotic freebies. 
🌞A Buzzy Bee Parade An early 2025 bee freebie parade.
🌞A Sunny Sunflower Parade- 2026 A parade of sunflower freebies up to September 3, 2026
🌞Autumn Parade March- 2026 Fall Parade A parade of Fall themed stitches and doodles up to September 10, 2026.
🌞 A Stomping Stamp Parade 2026  A parade of stamp cross stitch design freebies up to June 2, 2026

🌞Time to Dye-  2024 post on how I tea/ Coffee Dye my fabric. 
🌞Pin Pillow Tutorial - 2023 post on how I finish my pin pillows with chenille trim. 
🌞Ghosts, Goblins and Jacks Galore - 2026 Halloween Parade - Halloween freebies up to September 16, 2025. More Halloween pieces followed this date.
🌞Turkey Struttin' Thanksgiving Parade 2025- Thanksgiving freebies up to the date of November 3, 2025. More Thanksgiving freebies followed  this date. 
🌞A Christmas in July Parade of Past Freebies- 2026 A Parade of Christmas Freebies up to the date of July 6, 2026. More Christmas Freebies followed this date. 
🌞A Chilly Parade of Winter Stitches 2025- A parade of Winter themed freebies up to the date of Dec. 21, 2025
🌞Let's Dye Some Fabric- A tutorial on my process of dyeing Aida
🌞Color Tinting Embroidery Designs - Explanation on how I use crayons to color my designs for hand embroidery. - July 9, 2026
The little crocheted pumpkin was a thrifty find from Texas and the green glassware was picked up in Arkansas on my recent trip. 

I am joining these lovely ladies' link parties. I hope you check them out; they always have so many wonderful projects going on and provide the opportunity for other needle workers to meet. 

Frederique at   Quilting Patchwork Applique for Patchwork & Quilts - Saturday

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday

Kate at Life in Pieces for  Stitching Stuff ( Sunday) 

Cynthia at Quilting is More Fun Than Housework for Oh Scrap - Sunday 

Melva at Melva Loves Scraps for Sew & Tell- Sunday

Brenda at Songbird Designs for Monday Musings

Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday
Carol at Quilt Schmilt  for To Do List Tuesday 


37 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa love this post when will you realise Which Hazel I can’t wait to stitch it, love the hutch tours thank you for the work you put into your posts. Susan NSW. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to hear from you, Susan. Oh I am stitching Witch Hazel tonight and as soon as I get it stitched I will post it. I am working on the windows so hopefully it will be done soon.I am so touched that you like Witch Hazel. Have a wonderful evening and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. Witch Hazel and the purple house is adorable! I'm glad you had enough background to continue making more blocks for Lala's Chain. It is looking great and you'll have those errant squares replaced in two shakes with Mrs. Ripper's help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am so glad I had enough fabric too. I should have realized it when I had so much leftover - I guess I was just getting ahead of myself. Thankfully those blocks will be quick fixes. Thank you for dropping by, Terry. Hugs

      Delete
  3. Wow! Melisa! Go girl! All looking fabulous, and so much cross stitch. Love them all. So many posts and so much stitching. Loving Witch Hazel and her purple house, such fun. 😂👍🙋‍♀️🤗😘xx Barbara @flashinscissors xxx💜💜💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Barbara . I have been stitching up a storm . I just love this time of the year. I have always wanted to stitch a purple house but I have to admit I am definitely out of my comfort zone in respect to what colors to use. Hopefully Witch Hazel and her home will come together. Have a fabulous week. Hugs

      Delete
  4. Good Sunday morning ☀️ dear friend! Thank you for the early morning giggle (about Witch Hazel's spell 🤣). Your writing style is like no other and I enjoy it so much!
    If time permits I'll start working on month 5 of my giant BOM and I really need to post on my blog. I don't have much time these days while my mom is visiting 😅
    Have a wonderful day and a creative week! Hugs from chilly Maine 🥶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are having a wonderful time with your dear Mom and I am sure you and the family are staying very busy. Are y'all doing any fun fall activities as your Mom visits? LOL thank you so much for the sweetest compliment on my writing style. I guess I write like I talk with a little silliness but with a lot of joy. Hee! Hee! Thank you for the sweet Sunday visit. Stay warm and cozy and I look forward to seeing your BOM. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Oh my! You have been on a tear lately! Good for you getting your hands into so many pots. So glad you noticed there was a mistake at this point. Later it may have been a "designer element". Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it feels good to have a spark of creative energy, Susie. I sure hope I can maintain the momentum. I always get excited come fall time though. Oh yes, I do need to take another look to see if I spy anymore mistakes before I began to piece the rows. Have a blessed day. and thank you for the sweet visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. That squirrel on the roof of the new house does look mischievous! I wonder how many more squirrels will join him on this new stitch;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am having a great time working on the Squirrel House . You know how it is once you get one squirrel there more are sure to follow. Hee! Hee! Thank you for the sweet visit, Vicki. I hope your day has been a delightful one. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Love your choice of yellow for the unifying background of your Irish Chain QAL. So warm and cheerful. The cheeky squirrel is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw you are so very kind, Gwyned. Thank you so much. Yellow is one of my favorite colors and is a staple in my fabric stash. I so appreciate your sweet Sunday visit. Have a blessed day and Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. Each one of your shared projects looks fabulous, Melisa. Love the quilt blocks you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you kindly, Robin. I am having a grand ole' time working on the house stitches . I am already dreaming of a 3rd one but I best finish at least 1 of these before making a start. LOL Happy stitching and have a great week. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. I do love a quick stitch. When working on a larger stitching project, I usually stitch several small quick stitch projects. Sometimes we just need a finish. The Prim cat and Pumpkins will be perfect. It is good that you have enough fabric for the Irish Chain Quilt and lucky that you caught the green square before assembling the quilt. Two new house in the works! So exciting. I can't wait to see them finished and to stitch them. Witch Hazel is adorable and I love squirrels! Thanks for the visit. Have a slow stitch Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way, Alicia. I have several larger projects in the works . I just work slow and steadily on them, but it is nice to have a quick finish. I am having a ball working on the houses though. I am so glad I caught the mistake before I moved on in respect to my quilt. Now to get the other blocks pieced. Have a fabulous week and thank you for the sweet Sunday visit. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. I think that Hezel witch pattern is going to be very well received by everyone... I love it too!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw thank you so much, Isabel. You are the sweetest. Witch Hazel is a little different for me but a fun stitch. I am so glad you dropped by for a visit. Warm hugs and blessings.

      Delete
  11. Lol on the squirrel infestation! That is a sweet cross stitch. Your Lala quilt looks so pretty in those colors. I didn't catch your green for red square, but enjoy your time with Mrs Jackie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! Hee! Those squirrels are scampering all about. I am having a ball working on these stitches, Linda. Fingers crossed they will be completed soon. Oh, thank goodness the quilt blocks will be quick fixes. I keep Mrs. Jackie handy for those occasions. LOL. Have a lovely evening. Hugs.

      Delete
  12. Your embroideries are so cute! I love the cheeky squirrel and the purple house with lots of cute ghosts ;) Love the pumpkin neddle holder too ;D Ripping is not fun, but your blocks are joyful and pretty, so it's just another excuse to play with them! Thank you for sharing your lovely projects and linking up. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on a mission to finish these houses; fingers crossed I can do that in a timely fashion. I am so grateful that my "boo boo " on my quilt blocks will be quick fixes. I do love working on Lala's quilt. Thank you for the sweet Sunday visit, Frederique. Have a lovely week. Hugs.

      Delete
  13. I love the purple house - it's good you listened to Witch Hazel! The squirrels on the other piece are cute as can be. We sure have plenty of them in our yard, probably on top of the house also. The Irish Chain blocks are looking great! The layout of those chain blocks was challenging for me, too - I had to rip a few times. But it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Witch Hazel was right on the purple house. Hee! Hee! I have been wanting to stitch the squirrel house for awhile. We usually have a lot of squirrels, but they have been elusive this year. I hope your squirrels are well behaved. Thank you so much for the kind words on my Irish chain. I guess I just got into the rhythm and was not paying attention. But thankfully any easy Peasy fix. Have a blessed day, Diann.. Warm hugs.

      Delete
  14. I love your header! Yes, bees are indeed the voice of the garden. Yes, it is good to work on a simple project – yours is so cute! The pumpkins appear to be floating all around the kitty! Good for you as you stitch out of your comfort zone. The house is so pretty! The spirits are eager to explore.
    I’m glad you caught your error before the quilt was put together! Good for you! The fabrics play well together. Happy Stitching to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw thank you so much, Patricia. I do have a deep affection for bees. I had a ball stitching the little prim pinkeep- very simple and quick too. It is hard to go out of the comfort zone, but a good process too. Witch Hazel is certainly pushing me. LOL. Have a blessed day and thank you for dropping by. Hugs.

      Delete
  15. I think purple is perfect for the witch’s house! Sorry about your miscalculation on the Irish chain blocks. I’m glad I’m not the only one who does that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Carolyn. It is easy to miscalculate especially when you get on a roll . Right? But thankfully, I am enjoying making these blocks so I do not making more in the least. Have a blessed day . Happy quilting. Hugs.

      Delete
  16. Good Morning my friend - just catching up on your blog. I love the purple house - excited to see how it turns out - and the squirrel infestation - how cute!
    I keep thinking about the Irish Chain quilt. I would love to make one but all those tiny squares to cut! Ack! Maybe a table runner instead? LOL!
    I keep seeing all of your lovely seasonal patterns and projects and it gets me to thinking - since I live in such a small place, maybe a small tote the size of a shoebox with little seasonal/monthly goodies in each stored into one of my larger totes. Oh how you keep the wheels in my mind going! LOL! Especially a monthly pinkeep! Oh well - this has gotten long enough :-D Have a wonderfully blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The purple house is just too fun, even witches have to want some fun sometimes. Your Irish Chain is looking good, that yellow background fabric really works with those blocks. At least you only need to fix the corner, in the middle of the block means more unstitching. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So easy to get one square in the wrong spot! Good to get it fixed before the top is done and quilter. Looks like another cute house is under construction. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I love Witch Hazel's purple house. Your Irish Chain quilt is looking good, Melisa. You'll have those needed blocks whipped up in no time, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lala's Chain is looking good. Small fixes are sometimes necessary. But at least you caught that error before joining the blocks together. Those dark blue blocks do cause a bit of distraction. I think I would put them in another quilt to play. But that's just my opinion. Thanks for sharing in Sew and Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That yellow background in the Irish Chain is perfect. I can't wait to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good catch on Lala's Chain. I agree about the navy squares. I think I'd switch them out, too. Now's the time before things ae sewn together. Both the Squirrel House and the Witchy purple houses are looking wonderful. We have a couple of purple houses near us and I often wonder what sort of people have a purple house. Haha Bet they are fun! The last shot with the yellow chair had me taking a second look. The backdrop quilt is so very Autumn. It looks sort of like cookies laid out to cool on the counter.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Just Stitching and Quilting